Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,204 members, 7,839,104 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service (15948 Views)

Facebook: Nasarawa Civil-Service Sacks Ruquayyat-Usman (pics) / That Act Of Discrimination By Virgin Atlantic Airways / Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by sylve11: 1:46pm On Mar 25, 2012
Otunba_1: Pls stop comparing HND with Bsc as d entries requirement for both institution ar difference.I've seen pple who obtained HND cert from federal poly without either mathmatic/english or even with four credit pass in their o'level.So,wat u HND holders ar expectn from labour market if not to take u as inferior.

simple! cool
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by omalicha2: 1:57pm On Mar 25, 2012
I wont advice my enemy to go for HND Cos of d discriminatn
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by skbello: 2:02pm On Mar 25, 2012
Kenyy: More Than 90% Of HND Holders' Dreams Were To Study In A University. I Stand Corrected, However!
True talk.

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by MoUTD: 2:05pm On Mar 25, 2012
To make full stop to this, FG should scrap hnd , so that only nd will be for polytechnics. So that all Nig will Bsc holder.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Ignatio(m): 2:16pm On Mar 25, 2012
But the MD of First Bank is an HND holder, no B.Sc.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by LBT: 2:32pm On Mar 25, 2012
Poly or uni, just pray to God to lift u up and give u divine connection.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by naptu2: 2:45pm On Mar 25, 2012
It doesn't take much to create an "us against them" situation in Nigeria.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Nobody: 2:57pm On Mar 25, 2012
naptu2: It doesn't take much to create an "us against them" situation in Nigeria.

na so!
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Tnot(m): 3:00pm On Mar 25, 2012
If the Polytechnic students nation-wide protest,i'm very sure that they'll find solution to nonsense discrimination.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Emylexray(m): 3:01pm On Mar 25, 2012
This is a serious issue that calls for concern.
Most banks these days prefer HND holders than their Bsc counterpart!
Uni or poly all trash, polytechnics do produce seasoned graduates that are deemed fit to handle the rigors of any practical field. Why universities produce mainly graduates that are most suitable for managerial and official duties.
In thesame vein, like someone said, that paper you call certificate is only valid or valued within the shores of Nigeria
lets borrow a leaf from the developed countries like japan, china e.t.c that engage more in practical and vocational training thereby moulding the individual for self dependence and establishment. Only then can we be fufilled.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by okeoghenepeter(m): 3:02pm On Mar 25, 2012
If u have Bsc or HND be contended with it. I have seen an OND who currently earns more than 250,000 in a month while many graduates are earning less than 30,000. HND holders should not be blamed for any reason, the educational system we found ourselves made it so. They should strive to go further and obtained relevant professional certificates in their causes. HND holders are directors also in civil service. The whole of life is not about academic qualifications. Never be weighted down by human obstacles. Surely it is well.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Emylexray(m): 3:08pm On Mar 25, 2012
@kennyy...very true! I bet you 85% of HND holders didn't have it in mind from the onset to study in the polytechnic.
''sometimes when the desirable is not available, the availble becomes desirable''
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by jpphilips(m): 3:08pm On Mar 25, 2012
geewhite: In offices today, hnds do better dan d so called university graduates cos dey(HND)are better equipped to face challenges both theory n pratical.

continue deceiving urself, did you leave a uni for a poly at gun point? can u eat ur cake and have it?
go to a uni if u desire a bsc or shut d f0ck up.
the trend has been there before your father was born, why are you blaming the system for a choice you made?

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by solelymade: 3:14pm On Mar 25, 2012
@ KENYY, It is true. I was so sad when my pple said i shld attend LASPOTECH in 2008 4 ND wen i failed PUTME into OAU. However, i can boldly tell guyz dat d difference in d 2 degrees is d naija factor.
1. The requirements 4 entry into d polytechnics are not as demanding as a university. Dis means wen u do not suffer 4 somtin u won't appreciate it value. Dis has killed polytechnics over d years.
2. The system they operate. D polytechnic is so vulnerable and porous u have easy access to pple in authority to manipulate ur way without any1 asking question.
3. Failure of d polys to handle some courses added to dis such as medical and some science related courses.
4. Most poly's now have their pungency on managerial courses which was not d main purpose of establishing them. LASPOTECH IS A LIVING EXAMPLE OF DIS.
However, are d scheme and scope of work operated by d uni's and poly's different. I SAY NO. I'm presently in OAU after my acquirin ND in ACCOUNTING frm LASPOTECH. I can proudly tell any1 dat I will teach their part 3 student in any of auditing, taxation, principle and practice of accounting, cost accounting and so on and they will earn A's compare to F must of them earn. Also, most of my colleagues at LASPOTECH can also teach dis courses to dem successfully. Though am taking a different course in OAU now. Since dis institutions operate and teach d same syllabus, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND AND WILL NOT COMPROMISE WITH THE DISCRIMINATION OF HND AND B.SC qualification. Even my presence in OAU is because of dis discrimination. I know ur ideas differs from my PLS DON'T QUOTE MY COMMENT IT IS JUST MY OPINION RESPECT IT.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by solelymade: 3:19pm On Mar 25, 2012
@ KENYY, It is true. I was so sad when my pple said i shld attend LASPOTECH in 2008 4 ND wen i failed PUTME into OAU. However, i can boldly tell guyz dat d difference in d 2 degrees is d naija factor.
1. The requirements 4 entry into d polytechnics are not as demanding as a university. Dis means wen u do not suffer 4 somtin u won't appreciate it value. Dis has killed polytechnics over d years.
2. The system they operate. D polytechnic is so vulnerable and porous u have easy access to pple in authority to manipulate ur way without any1 asking question.
3. Failure of d polys to handle some courses added to dis such as medical and some science related courses.
4. Most poly's now have their pungency on managerial courses which was not d main purpose of establishing them. LASPOTECH IS A LIVING EXAMPLE OF DIS.
However, are d scheme and scope of work operated by d uni's and poly's different. I SAY NO. I'm presently in OAU after my acquirin ND in ACCOUNTING frm LASPOTECH. I can proudly tell any1 dat I will teach their part 3 student in any of auditing, taxation, principle and practice of accounting, cost accounting and so on and they will earn A's compare to F must of them earn. Also, most of my colleagues at LASPOTECH can also teach dis courses to dem successfully. Though am taking a different course in OAU now. Since dis institutions operate and teach d same syllabus, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND AND WILL NOT COMPROMISE WITH THE DISCRIMINATION OF HND AND B.SC qualification. Even my presence in OAU is because of dis discrimination. I know ur ideas differs from my PLS DON'T QUOTE MY COMMENT IT IS JUST MY OPINION RESPECT IT.
NOTE: PRIVATE UNI'S NOT IN CONSIDERATION.

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by prodam(m): 3:38pm On Mar 25, 2012
I hope the discrimination would end someday...a way that can bring this into reality is to equate poly to university..the fund, activities and every other thing being given to the university by the govt should also be for the polys.the system should be similar..
Or let them be widely separated and distinct in the courses offeres by them..that is science and technology courses can only be offered by poly while universities can only offer theory courses and courses in the art and social sciences
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Unkl(m): 3:52pm On Mar 25, 2012
The idea behind polytechnics is to develope artisans and craftmanship so that they can be self reliant bt these days u c polytechnics offering courses like economics, mass comm, bankin and finance to mention bt a few. Round pegs shd be in round holes, a Bachelor Degree can't be substituted 4 a Higher Diploma so dn't expect anytin more than wht u get.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by larrysng(m): 4:56pm On Mar 25, 2012
To all the id.iots posting nonsense about hnd certificate, have you read the stories of Bill Gate, Steve Jobs and host of others? Those guys do not even have any degree before they made it in life. What next? after your bsc & hnd certificates
that most of you buy with money and flesh. Go get a life and build a healthy self image.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by demainman: 5:24pm On Mar 25, 2012
I'm very proud to be a product of the polytechnic system. i had nine credits at one sitting and waec result for that matter whereas, some of my classmate who had five and six credits respectively secured admission in the university. however this are students who are not sound in academics. infact they got their admission before those of us who are always ahead of the class just because they had the money. to be continue.....
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Nobody: 5:28pm On Mar 25, 2012
^^^^ you nine credits and you ended up in a polytechnic. your friends had five and six and ended up in universities. your point is?
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by EFFRAKATA: 5:34pm On Mar 25, 2012
To end this prolonged argument, only a statistical comparison of top succesful candidates in proffesional exams and post graduate classes can tell. These HND guyz are alwayz making the difference any day, any where anytime. In ma ICAN class, they the guyz making it. U jst cant take dat practical stuf off them, both in Accounting and Engineering. Wat makes d difrence is our individual technical know how, and not ur Bsc and HND that most of u guyz hav. I stand 2 b corrected.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Meritgoal(m): 5:43pm On Mar 25, 2012
The discriminations that engolf the sky, is what made people choose to go to the university. If the government had planned well from the unset, by placed them on thesame level i believe there would be no any discriminations at all. Let the BSc grad be respected for his theoretical knowlege, and the HND grad be respected for his practical knowlege. It's only the people that attended both, that can justify better which i happen to be one. Honestly speaking, the alphabet BSc and HND are the difference between them nothing more.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by ishmael(m): 5:44pm On Mar 25, 2012
There has never been any significant difference in the entry qualification. For Engineering, poly requires credits in maths, physics, chemistry, T/D and a pass in english. Uni requires same though insist on credit in english. But some uni also accept pass in english. Also the pre degree program in the uni is like the pre nd prog in poly. Applicants with one or two deficiencies are admitted. I know of many uni grads that passed thru pre degree and finally graduated with a Bsc without credit in o'level english or mathematics or both. Such situations are found in both the uni and poly and not poly alone. Entry qualification makes no difference. Let's hear a better excuse pls.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by demainman: 5:50pm On Mar 25, 2012
Further, in 2008 i sat for ume(jamb) and i scored 251 after which i proceeded to lautech (ogbomosho) for my post ume and after the result was release i had 65.3% though i applied for medicine and i was given assurance by people i know in that school that i will be considered for admission. in a nut shell, i was denied admission and people with 50% was given admission all because they can afford the money. so why contemplating the university have not been fruit with the level of corruption in the system
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by david22uu(m): 5:56pm On Mar 25, 2012
Kenyy: Because Of... Among/Amongst The Courses, Institutions, etc., Some Applied To:
1. Study At The University But Ended Up Studying At The Polytechnic, Yet Want Same Treatment In Employment With That Of University Graduates!
2. Study Medicine But Ended Up Studying Biochemistry, Yet Want Same Treatment In Employment With That Of Medical Doctors!
3. Study Accounting But Ended Up Studying Accounting Education, Yet Want Same Treatment In Employment With That Of Accountants,etc!

MSCCCHEEWWWWWW... SMH
NO PROFESSION IS A WASTE , THEN ABT THOSE WHO WENT STRAIGHT TO THOSE COURSES....
ITS PPLE LIKE YOU THAT WLD NEVER MAKE THIS COUNTRY MOVE FORWARD
I WISH BOKO HARAM FIT GET UR ADDRESS
URE A DISCRIMINATOR
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by demainman: 6:10pm On Mar 25, 2012
@ torkaka, guy u just need to calm down and learn from what u dont kw. bill gate and steve job had no certificate yet they influence the world. albert einstein set the standard in the united states by proving them wrong. he ended up becoming a prof and highly influencial so, 1992 the whole polytechnic system was emerge nd unified even now polytechnic is the state offers msc programmes. our govt are confusionist and they refuse to realise that the bedrock of any economy lies in science and technology.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Nobody: 6:29pm On Mar 25, 2012
In my humble opinion, give the job to man that can perform,whether frm Poly or Uni.. talks abt d point of entry, prof or no prof are all crap.afteral whr ar we rated educationally in the world?
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Gimmy(m): 6:32pm On Mar 25, 2012
I wonder why most of the University students borrow notes from there friends in Poly,i'm very sure that,it's this note they read to pass their Exams because,what you are thought as an (OND) student can automatically make you to pass the 4hundred level final Exam in any University....
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Gimmy(m): 6:52pm On Mar 25, 2012
Quote me if you can??,90% of University Graduates in Nigeria,who came out with Distinctions in there course of specialization were once (OND) holders.lol :PQuote me if you can??,90% of University Graduates in Nigeria,who came out with Distinctions in there course of specialization were once (OND) holders.lol
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Nobody: 6:56pm On Mar 25, 2012
@demainman

the argument is between hnd and b.sc and not between education and self determination!
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Meritgoal(m): 6:58pm On Mar 25, 2012
solelymade: @ KENYY, It is true. I was so sad when my pple said i shld attend LASPOTECH in 2008 4 ND wen i failed PUTME into OAU. However, i can boldly tell guyz dat d difference in d 2 degrees is d naija factor.
NOTE: PRIVATE UNI'S NOT IN CONSIDERATION.
U're right man, i had my OND at Unicotech in Ile-ife. I was working on a particular topic in statistic one faithful day, when a neighbour of mine who was a part 3 student of OAU came in and saw what i was doing. He was like this is the exact topic, he and some of his classmate have being trying to solve but couldn't get it. I was the one that safe them from the failure of that couse! Honestly the government is the cause of this discrimination.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by nelsonose: 8:07pm On Mar 25, 2012
The truth is that polytechnic education is sound and highly tasking academically. I was previledged to attend a polytechnic for National Diploma before doing a B.sc in university. You may believe this or not, in our days, admission requirement to Accounting dept in Auchi poly was 5 credits at a sitting or 6 credits at two sittings. Admissions to HND was subject to obtaining very good ND result. If anyone observes carefully, you 'll hardly find a polytechnic graduate that is a push over. In the university, students who came from the poly are usually head and shoulders above other students. Many people go the university because of our value for degrees. I have a degree but my polytechnic exposure is helping so much. In summary, it will be good if B.sc and HND are made equivalent otherwise, I encourage poly graduate to also get the degree if need be for the seek of it. In due course, the shaff will be separated from the grain.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Want To Quit My Job For Uber Abuja Partner-Driver Business, Advise Needed / Stanbic IBTC Or MTN Nigeria For A Graduate Trainee / Army, Navy, Air Force Promote 235 Generals, Rear Admirals, AVM, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.