Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,150 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service (15933 Views)

Facebook: Nasarawa Civil-Service Sacks Ruquayyat-Usman (pics) / That Act Of Discrimination By Virgin Atlantic Airways / Age Discrimination In The Nigerian Job Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by ishmael(m): 5:58am On Mar 25, 2012
If the FG can set up a committee headed by Anyim Pius Anyim, to look into the issue of discriminant salary structures in some govt ministries and parastatals, why can't they do same to address the discrimination against polytechnic HND graduates in the civil service? This is a very sensitive issue, more sensitive than the one Anyim is presently looking at. Pls share your opinion with us on this.

2 Likes

Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by ektbear: 6:45am On Mar 25, 2012
Is HND a 2 or 4+ year degree?

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by naptu2: 8:34am On Mar 25, 2012
Higher National Diploma (HND)= 2 years Ordinary National Diploma (OND) + one year industrial attachment (that is, work experience) + 2 years HND. Basically 5 years.

Polytechnic (HND) graduates are meant to have more hands on, technical expertise than University (Bsc & Ba) graduates, who are expected to have better theoretical and managerial expertise.

However, HND graduates believe that they are unfairly discriminated against, primarily because most of the managers and recruiters in the public and private sector are university graduates.

3 Likes

Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by naptu2: 8:36am On Mar 25, 2012
Some have suggested that all polytechnics should be converted to universities of technology.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by ektbear: 8:37am On Mar 25, 2012
Well university typically takes 4-5 years.

If HND takes 5 years too, why not just merge/unify the two systems?

What is the reason for having two separate tracks?

I was imagining HND = like a 2 year associates degree that one can get from say a community college.

Here (in the us and possibly canada too) the way it works is:

high school (secondary school)
4 year university

or

high school
2 year associates degree from community college
optionally, transfer from community college into university, spend another 2-3 years obtaining the bachelor's

I like this system more because you can erase any stigma associated with community college just by transferring to a university and performing well.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Nobody: 8:53am On Mar 25, 2012
i wonder why hnd holders are always whinning.

what is the minimum 'o'level qualification to get into a polytechnic compared to that of university?

how many professors teach you at the polytechnic?

4 Likes

Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by naptu2: 9:50am On Mar 25, 2012
Historically, it was felt that Nigeria had deficiencies in technical knowledge and I guess the polytechnic system was meant to address that.

However, we now have universities of technology, etc. Some have suggested that the system should be merged/unified and indeed that was President Obasanjo's plan (Yabatech had already changed its name to Yaba University of Technology), but the plan was scrapped when he left office.

Polytechnics usually emphasise practical and technical courses such as engineering, fine/applied arts, etc.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by emsquare(m): 10:23am On Mar 25, 2012
Something need be done!
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by geewhite(f): 10:29am On Mar 25, 2012
In offices today, hnds do better dan d so called university graduates cos dey(HND)are better equipped to face challenges both theory n pratical.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Ibangap(m): 10:42am On Mar 25, 2012
torkaka: i wonder why hnd holders are always whinning.

what is the minimum 'o'level qualification to get into a polytechnic compared to that of university?

Crap

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Nobody: 10:56am On Mar 25, 2012
Why would employers place them on the same salary or remuneration scale. Since the entry requirement in getting admission into a poly is less stringent than the uni, then there would always be discrimination. OND graduates have the option of obtaining direct entry form or sit for A - level exams for admissions to 2nd year of uni.

Even in the UK, HND/HNC graduates are only given admission into a PGD, then MSc. programme only if he or she as atleast 5years experience in the field of study.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Wilfredng: 10:57am On Mar 25, 2012
The problem with Nigeria started with lack of good planning. No organisation, before degenerating to corruption. For God's sake what is the difference between HND and B.SC? It is true that I am a university student, but let the truth be told. Polytechnics are almost better these days practical-wise!

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by ndidibabe(f): 11:19am On Mar 25, 2012
Are you sure you are an undergraduate?
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by KINGwax(m): 11:21am On Mar 25, 2012

hey kid, go play wit ya mama's breast.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Kenyy: 11:28am On Mar 25, 2012
Because Of... Among/Amongst The Courses, Institutions, etc., Some Applied To:
1. Study At The University But Ended Up Studying At The Polytechnic, Yet Want Same Treatment In Employment With That Of University Graduates!
2. Study Medicine But Ended Up Studying Biochemistry, Yet Want Same Treatment In Employment With That Of Medical Doctors!
3. Study Accounting But Ended Up Studying Accounting Education, Yet Want Same Treatment In Employment With That Of Accountants,etc!

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Nobody: 11:43am On Mar 25, 2012
^^^^ my brother help me ask dem o' . some people tried getting int a university,couldn't and ended up in a polytechnic. now they want the same treatment
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by sunky644(m): 11:54am On Mar 25, 2012
No matter how you try to educate them, these Polytechnic graduates will always see ur point as untenable one. So, why not let's leave and watch as d situation unfolds...
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by msb247(m): 12:01pm On Mar 25, 2012
HND graduates are more practically oriented likewise Degree graduates are more theoretically oriented. Each qualification has its own pro's and con's. The aim of education is to teach people how to think not exactly what to think. Here, the former is the case with Bachelors Degree graduates while the latter is the case with HND's; though I'm not saying the HND's not good enough, it's just that they fit in better on sites, factories, manufacturing plants, etc while the Degree holders sit in the office planning and managing them cheesy
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by msb247(m): 12:02pm On Mar 25, 2012
They're not working where they ought to be yet, they want to be treated as such tongue LoL
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by ishmael(m): 12:11pm On Mar 25, 2012
For those asking if Profs and non-profs can have the same output on students. No, there is a difference btw those that were taught by profs and those that were taught by probably masters degree holders. The difference is always obvious. Those who passed thru the hands of profs speak more grammer wit little knowledge about how to get the job done. Those who passed thru masters degree holders get the job done very well and speak little grammer.

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Walexz02(m): 12:24pm On Mar 25, 2012
[color=#006600][/color]Whats d problm of u guyz so calld uni gruduats;if it is about drawing a line btw d two,u guyz hv no place 2 hide especialy here in Nigeria were after graduatin there no JOB! A HND holder can think and establsh there own bis....U knw wt I mean, practicaly oriented!
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Nobody: 12:37pm On Mar 25, 2012
^^^^^ oga did some one put a gun to your head and prevent you from entering the university? oh sorry, it wasn't a gun,your grades weren't enough
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Cmeo(m): 12:42pm On Mar 25, 2012
Honestly, its very dishearten to see issue like this but i must confess the admisssion process put up by our poly institute caused this crap although it is unfair. However, i am planning on setting up an e-campaignaagainst this injustice becos if you call urself academics(as it is with university system) professionals(as with HND holders) are important to the system too. I am a HND holder and I see mysel as a professional and i am proud of it and i cant accept to be given shyte thats why i am not looking for govt job even when to offer ro retain me where i am serving
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by olajide8(m): 12:46pm On Mar 25, 2012

its very pathetic when some people are filled with a lot of ignorance they have to go check the entry level at least its now run as a universal examination it the same five level credits of entry and the same professors lecture in polytechnics each department has at least a Doctorate holder either as the past or present head of department very myopic
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Mr9iceGuy(m): 12:49pm On Mar 25, 2012
[color=#770077][/color] wat u got up stairs is what matter most and not your scorchy bsc or hnd, mtcheeeeew

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Mr9iceGuy(m): 12:50pm On Mar 25, 2012
C me o: Honestly, its very dishearten to see issue like this but i must confess the admisssion process put up by our poly institute caused this crap although it is unfair. However, i am planning on setting up an e-campaignaagainst this injustice becos if you call urself academics(as it is with university system) professionals(as with HND holders) are important to the system too. I am a HND holder and I see mysel as a professional and i am proud of it and i cant accept to be given shyte thats why i am not looking for govt job even when to offer ro retain me where i am serving

i wonder ooohh, niger self
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 25, 2012
olajide_07:
its very pathetic when some people are filled with a lot of ignorance they have to go check the entry level at least its now run as a universal examination it the same five level credits of entry and the same professors lecture in polytechnics each department has at least a Doctorate holder either as the past or present head of department very myopic

you see the problem with polytechnics. so in your myopic way of thinking a doctorate degree holder is the same thing as a professor?

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by paulipopo(m): 1:27pm On Mar 25, 2012
Alot of comments for and against hnd discrimination are senseless. No wonder employers complain that most graduates are unemployable. Is it paper qualification or actual qualification that makes a difference? Hnd or bsc beyond ur countries shores who cares about them, we need to think like the chinese: work and prove urself on the job and not with the kpali ur so called unis and polys dashed you afterall some of u paid either cash or kind to 'earn' them.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Otunba6: 1:30pm On Mar 25, 2012
Pls stop comparing HND with Bsc as d entries requirement for both institution ar difference.I've seen pple who obtained HND cert from federal poly without either mathmatic/english or even with four credit pass in their o'level.So,wat u HND holders ar expectn from labour market if not to take u as inferior.
Re: The Issue Of HND Discrimination In The Civil Service by Kenyy: 1:42pm On Mar 25, 2012
More Than 90% Of HND Holders' Dreams Were To Study In A University. I Stand Corrected, However!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

KBK Foundation Is Looking For Man Assaulted By Police For Demanding His Salary / He Wants To Quit His Job As A Chemical Scientist For Music.Pls Advice Him! / 10 Common Salary Negotiation Mistakes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.