Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,086 members, 7,814,773 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? (14934 Views)

A Thread For Same Heritage Nigerians- Ie If Your Parents Are From The Same Tribe / What Language Do Your Parents Speak To Eachother / Disrespect Of The Red Cap And Igbo Traditions:i Blame Your Parents!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? by occam(m): 3:54pm On Mar 27, 2012
Olalekan 0: I wouldn't even think twice before bringing my parents to PERMANENTLY live with me.
They gave me the enviable life that i have and made me who i am today,so the least i could do to say thank you is keeping them company in their old age in my house regardless of the part of the world am domiciled in. And should my wife ever complain about it,i 'll file for a divorce,straight up!

Dude, you're not been realistic. Your wife equally has the right to bring in her folks to live in the house. Then what? Seriously, you'll divorce your wife if she complains?
Re: Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? by fm7070: 4:25pm On Mar 27, 2012
let's also have it in mind that there are different types of parents. some will add more to your problem and cause matrimonial pandemonium while some have better understanding. Mothers especially have a way of competing with your wife and getting disatisfied no matter how the wife tries and if the wife is frustrated, she can include some dose of poison in her meal
Personally, I will prefer a situation whereby neither my parent nor my in-laws will live with me in my matrimonial home.
However, i will make sure I try my best to take care of them, medically and otherwise.
They can as well be visiting their other children from time to time.

I witnessed a situation whereby a friend who wanted to help his mother had to move his own family to the uncompleted house his mother has, the guy spent fortunes to put the house in order. At first, the mother was appreciative to both her son and his wife, but things soon started going another way when the guy's brother and sister started picking issues with the wife. Even the mother they set to assist gave the wife a high portion of trouble, painting her as a bad wife with all sort of unecessary allegations.

The guy almost went mad because he has spent more than 1.5million naira with the intention that he will live in the house for like 6years before he would move on with his life and his mother will rent out the house and have something to fall back on. to cut the story short, it wasn't funny for the guy's family.

Sometimes, one has to think twice before doing certain things, they're our parents but one has to think of his family as well. If they understanding and will sure peace in your neclear family, go ahead. If not, forget it.
Re: Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? by occam(m): 4:56pm On Mar 27, 2012
fm7070: let's also have it in mind that there are different types of parents. some will add more to your problem and cause matrimonial pandemonium while some have better understanding. Mothers especially have a way of competing with your wife and getting disatisfied no matter how the wife tries and if the wife is frustrated, she can include some dose of poison in her meal
Personally, I will prefer a situation whereby neither my parent nor my in-laws will live with me in my matrimonial home.
However, i will make sure I try my best to take care of them, medically and otherwise.
They can as well be visiting their other children from time to time.

I witnessed a situation whereby a friend who wanted to help his mother had to move his own family to the uncompleted house his mother has, the guy spent fortunes to put the house in order. At first, the mother was appreciative to both her son and his wife, but things soon started going another way when the guy's brother and sister started picking issues with the wife. Even the mother they set to assist gave the wife a high portion of trouble, painting her as a bad wife with all sort of unecessary allegations.

The guy almost went mad because he has spent more than 1.5million naira with the intention that he will live in the house for like 6years before he would move on with his life and his mother will rent out the house and have something to fall back on. to cut the story short, it wasn't funny for the guy's family.

Sometimes, one has to think twice before doing certain things, they're our parents but one has to think of his family as well. If they understanding and will sure peace in your neclear family, go ahead. If not, forget it.

Your friend's experience shows that it's a complex issue. People get too emotional and simply say it's ok for their parents to come and live permanently with them. It can create more problem and resentment.

Staying for couple of months is fine; permanently NO. Taking care of you own little kids and parents under the same roof can be very stressful, especially here in North America.
Re: Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? by Olalekan0(m): 5:53pm On Mar 27, 2012
occam:

Dude, you're not been realistic. Your wife equally has the right to bring in her folks to live in the house. Then what? Seriously, you'll divorce your wife if she complains?
. If my wife genuinely loves me,then she'll love my parents,treat them as her own and accept wherever they choose to spend their end-time. If she complains about their stay with us,then she doesn't love me and will have to find another man who's ungrateful enough to reject his parents. Chikena
Re: Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? by dayokanu(m): 6:08pm On Mar 27, 2012
Olalekan 0: . If my wife genuinely loves me,then she'll love my parents,treat them as her own and accept wherever they choose to spend their end-time. If she complains about their stay with us,then she doesn't love me and will have to find another man who's ungrateful enough to reject his parents. Chikena

Is your wife allowed to bring her own 2 parents also into the house so you can have 4 Septugenarians living with you?
Re: Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? by sunky644(m): 6:10pm On Mar 27, 2012
Is living with one the only step that depicts u re taking care of them? Why not get them a decent apartment if they don't ve one and get a house help to take care of them and pay them visits as u deem fit...
Re: Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? by doeeyed: 3:47am On Mar 28, 2012
Second Ilekokonit's surmary.
Aptly put..
Re: Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? by emsquare(m): 8:09am On Mar 28, 2012
Aqva: Taking care of my aged parents is my responsibility. They don't have to move into my home though. I will provide all the necessary support for them. Money, a decent house and a paid help(s).

True Talk!
Re: Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? by moHot(f): 11:32pm On Apr 03, 2012
some of the comments here are enough reasons why abortion should be legalized.
Re: Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? by Afam4eva(m): 8:16am On Apr 20, 2012
SimonAndal: Would I want my parents to hear my moans and grunts during sex? Hell no!
I'd get them a flat in the next town, or maybe state. Marriage is for two people, not two people and their 'rents.

No, you're wrong. Marriage brings together families.
Re: Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? by Afam4eva(m): 8:18am On Apr 20, 2012
My parents can stay in my matrimonial home as long as they want. They're part of the family.
Re: Is Taking Care Of Your Parents Your Responsibility? by OneNaira6: 8:46am On Apr 20, 2012
YES

They took care of you for 18 years or so of your life. Bought your clothes, food and put you through school. Why would anyone not feel it is their responsibility to pay back their parents for all their hardwork when they need it? If anyone feels this way then that said person is selfish.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should Onitsha Igbo Be Igbo Izugbe? / Why Do Nigerian Dudes Walk Around Holding Hands? / Funny yoruba Names And Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.