Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,145 members, 7,821,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? (25964 Views)

Longest Flyover In West Africa (kano state), Named After OBASANJO- Pictures / Photos: The Longest Banner In Nigeria Hit Third Mainland Bride / "I Am Ready Group" Unveils The Longest Banner For Buhari In Lagos (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by Abagworo(m): 7:22pm On Mar 27, 2012
pssword: Why do people write about Akwaibom without at least doing their homework. The airport was started by the previous government to a very advanced state and completed by Akpabio. Also most of the major roads going somewhere were started by the previous government, like the road to Le Meridian and Calabar. The others, well, go nowhere and are just waste of resources..

Nairaland seems to be shifting towards a trend of opposing parties giving their views not based on truth but political affiliations. IMHO as someone that passes through AK ,Attah did well but Akpabio has far dwarfed him in achievements.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by ocelot2006(m): 7:31pm On Mar 27, 2012
pssword: Why do people write about Akwaibom without at least doing their homework. The airport was started by the previous government to a very advanced state and completed by Akpabio. Also most of the major roads going somewhere were started by the previous government, like the road to Le Meridian and Calabar. The others, well, go nowhere and are just waste of resources..

My friend stop right there. You may fool non-indigenes with this post of yours, but not me. Attah spent EIGHT BLOODY YEARS "planning" but did zilch/nada/nothing. During his tenure, Akwa Ibom was no better than Ekiti state. And please tell the house what "advance" stage Attah left the Airport project, and please do not lie to anyone here. It was during the first year of Akpabio's tenure that the construction of the runway, taxiways, the massive MRO facility, and other facilities began. I doubt if Attah even cleared the fucking bushes. And which bloody road did Attah build during his 8 year tenure. Is it the old Abak road that was filled with so many pot holes I stopped counting? Or the Abak-Afaha Obong-Ikot Ekpene road that was almost cut off by gully erosion? Hey, maybe it was the old Etim Ekpo road that looked like something from National Geographic?

Please stop spewing lies and give Gov. Akpabio his dues. That man has performed.
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by OmoTier1(m): 9:04pm On Mar 27, 2012
ocelot2006:

My friend stop right there. You may fool non-indigenes with this post of yours, but not me. Attah spent EIGHT BLOODY YEARS "planning" but did zilch/nada/nothing. During his tenure, Akwa Ibom was no better than Ekiti state. And please tell the house what "advance" stage Attah left the Airport project, and please do not lie to anyone here. It was during the first year of Akpabio's tenure that the construction of the runway, taxiways, the massive MRO facility, and other facilities began. I doubt if Attah even cleared the fucking bushes. And which bloody road did Attah build during his 8 year tenure. Is it the old Abak road that was filled with so many pot holes I stopped counting? Or the Abak-Afaha Obong-Ikot Ekpene road that was almost cut off by gully erosion? Hey, maybe it was the old Etim Ekpo road that looked like something from National Geographic?

Please stop spewing lies and give Gov. Akpabio his dues. That man has performed.
Wait until Akpabio leaves office, I am sure your mouth that is running like cold gravy would sing a different tune!
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Mar 27, 2012
Until the so called bridge is completed, third mainland bridge remains the longest.
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by zenus(m): 9:33pm On Mar 27, 2012
ocelot2006:

You will really know Ibibbio Man from his post, the are just like the Boko Guys from the North
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by adook1: 9:38pm On Mar 27, 2012
There is no bridge being built its a fraud,the posters are paid computer boys by the min. Of info.,its like crowd renting for pdp functions
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by aljharem(m): 10:08pm On Mar 27, 2012
ado ok: There is no bridge being built its a fraud,the posters are paid computer boys by the min. Of info.,its like crowd renting for pdp functions

sosong, you know we have crazy people in Nigeria. Trust me ndiongo ke nsido. It is most of the poster here such as Beaf and others are not posting to be happy for Akwa ibom but they are posting to try to ridicule Fashola. Which is quite daf.t.

Mmekom abasi that Akwa Ibom people are waking up to the sort of Ideeiots we have on Nairaland.

Ka dio
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by Beaf: 10:34pm On Mar 27, 2012
^
You are obsessed with Beaf, aint you? Everywhere you go its "Beaf! Beaf! Beaf!" Lol!
You wanna be me, but find yourself too daft, init?
Akpabio is the best governor, no matter your usual foolish comments.
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by RoadStar: 10:56pm On Mar 27, 2012
So there's no bridge.
It is just dreams.
Waste of time embarassed embarassed
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by MrEverest(m): 11:37pm On Mar 27, 2012
we should give kudos to whom it's due, the man is working. if every governor in Nigeria would be like these great men( Owelle Rochas Okorocha, Babatunde Raji Fashola, Godswill Akpabio, Adams Oshiomole) then every Nigerian would have seen the dividends of democracy cry cry cry cry
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by pssword: 1:26am On Mar 28, 2012
The post above was not in support of Attah, if you that is what you think. Attah also started the science and technology centre but never finished amongst other white elephant projects. Akpabio did not initiate the airport and the infrastructure was developed upto a significant state before he took over. Don't forget that Akpabio was also Attah's commissioner and best friend who benefited from the farce before they fell out. These infrastructures are white elephants projects designed to siphon money out without any real benefits to the indigenes of the state. Just like his predecessor, there is no forward thinking, or an thought of the people in the state. How many have got jobs and I'm not talking about his contract lackeys. With all that resource the state is still choking in under-development and poverty while he sprays money from one whimsical ceremony to another.. waste of space.
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by Konnektions146(m): 3:25am On Mar 28, 2012
crusifis: i did my nysc at akwaibom, ikotekpene to be precise. yes, he is building very good roads, but for no reason, u will see a good road leading to no where, no houses, schools or anythinh, but road go just dey, make e be say e dey. i think roads should be built where they have economic value, the same way peter obi is doing

on point! can yu imagine installin a traffic lightt in a junction with no more than 100 okada and 20vehicles a day?? it happpens in ikot ekpene.
i live and work here in uyo and undaastands how PR works for dese governmeent people
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by saska1122: 4:15am On Mar 28, 2012
pssword: The post above was not in support of Attah, if you that is what you think. Attah also started the science and technology centre but never finished amongst other white elephant projects. Akpabio did not initiate the airport and the infrastructure was developed upto a significant state before he took over. Don't forget that Akpabio was also Attah's commissioner and best friend who benefited from the farce before they fell out. These infrastructures are white elephants projects designed to siphon money out without any real benefits to the indigenes of the state. Just like his predecessor, there is no forward thinking, or an thought of the people in the state. How many have got jobs and I'm not talking about his contract lackeys. With all that resource the state is still choking in under-development and poverty while he sprays money from one whimsical ceremony to another.. waste of space.

I think U are 80% correct with your assertion. Attah had what people may call 'vision', but he was beclouded by PDP patronage and using contracts as political compensations. Hence, all the urban roads he awarded contracts in his 1st tenure were all failure. The ones done in his 2nd tenure were mostly inferior. But, at least he had the ideas or maybe vision?
Akpabio on the other hand has tried to be more pragmatic in his execution of projects though he's too loquacious(at least for me). Not many governors or political office holders would continue/complete projects started by the previous administration, especially given how they fell-out with each other. Those dis-crediting Akpabio are just being self-centered, most of them want their godfathers to have d contracts and leave them undone as they did in Attah's tenure. I still believe more can be done and with transparency.
Those shouting about human development, get your facts correct!! During Attah's regime, more than 50 indigenes of the state were sent to Canada to study ICT, but the man that headed that program made a mess of it and used it to amass money meant for that program for himself n his cohorts. Those guys struggled to survive in Canada. They will never come back. On the other hand, the new teaching staff of the new university in the state that were sent for MSc/PhD in UK n US are still catered for by present administration till date. Some are already back to the new university.Though d program started during Attah's regime, but this administration has borne the greater part of that responsibility as Attah's administration paid for only the 1st yr. Most people wouldn't continue on that sponsorship. So, I think it is good not to talk out of sentiments.
A lot still need to be done in AKS, but we need people to work together and stop over-dependence on the government. Any economy that will survive is private sector driven.
If AKS now has good roads, investor should go in a build industries, farmers can bring their products to the city easily n cheap.

1 Like

Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by EkoIle1: 4:46am On Mar 28, 2012
This is fake news.

JOE EFFIONG & AMAOWO UDOFIA are paid Akpabio propagandists, there is no such thing.

The only bridge under construction in that area is only a little over 1km long. The useless writers quoted and exaggerated the 20k road instead of the 1.5km bridge.

Sinoeng guarantees to complete 1.150km Bridge in May 2013

Details
Published Date

From Jacqlin Peters, Uyo

The 1.150km bridge project along Etebi-Enwang road in Mbo local government area of Akwa Ibom state will be completed and handed over to the state government come May 2013.
The Director of Sinoeng Nigeria Limited, Chief Aiman Saimua, who disclosed this at the weekend while conducting Journalists round the bridge construction site in Uko Utighe, said the bridge which would be the longest in the east of the Niger has been 35% completed, adding that there was little delay in the construction following the discovery of some problems with the terrain of the area at the initial stage which led to the redesigning of the bridge.

Saimua explained that the 20.5 km road which stretches from Etebi to Enwang as well as a 195 meters deck- on- pile bridge would however be completed between July and August 2012 pointing out that that work was going on simultaneously at the different project sites to ensure that the project were delivered at the slated dateline.
“The road project was initially 19km and the bridge was 650meters long but after the area was opened up and the whole terrain was exposed we now found out that the 650 meters long bridge was grossly inadequate for the terrain as it will end in a swamp. The swamp was a lot bigger than what was initially envisaged. Due to that problem the bridge was now redesigned and additional 500 meters was extended to bring the main bridge to a total of one thousand, one hundred and fifty meters (1,150m) in length.
“Apart from the problem of the terrain another biggest challenge to us so far has been the rains. The weather in this part of the country does not help at all. We experience well over 7 to 8 months of heavy rainfall. We try as much as possible to overcome other challenges, but we cannot fight nature. Right now we have successfully completed 54% of the road surface, 45% of the deck-on pile bridge, and 35% of the main bridge that is the 1.15km bridge”, he stressed.
On the 3.7km Spur road in Uda City which was also awarded to Sinoeng for construction by Akpabio's led government in 2008, Saimua explained that work has not yet commenced on the project due to non -payment of compensation to building and property owners as well as for crops that were in the right of way, stressing that they were waiting for the valuers to pay the indigenes before they start work.
He maintained that work would commence on the road immediately indigenes were paid compensation, noting that the company has already moved in to work at the Orukim Offi road following the payment of compensation penultimate week even as he commended the state government for allocating enough compensation to the indigenes of the affected areas that could enable them to erect buildings of modern standard.
He also commended the government for the cooperation and encouragement given to Sinoeng contractors since the award of the projects, particularly in responding very fast to any of their needs, adding, “We thank God for the nice working relationship we have with everybody involved. The host communities have been good to us. Even when we have some problem which naturally arise within set of human beings they are also settled quickly and we go back to work”.
The project designer, and Resident consultant, Engr. Gregory Udofia, of Mega Project International Limited, in his contribution guaranteed that both the road and bridge projects would not go beyond the dateline given for their completion, his reason being that the a good percentage of the road and deck-on pile bridge constructions has been completed.
He pointed out that, 11km out of the 20.5 km road has already been completed, while the main bridge would take up till next year to be completed because the foundation of the main bridge was adjusted to about 10 storey deep in the soil after the discovery of a swampy terrain guaranteeing that, “The bridge will last for infinity as long as it is maintained. In terms of standard we even overshut some of the criteria formulated by the Federal ministry of works for a road of this nature. It is all about maintenance” he said.

http://nigerianewspoint.com/index.php/news/114-sinoeng-guarantees-to-complete-1150km-bridge-in-may-2013

Keyword. the bridge which would be the longest in the east of the Niger

The only people they are competing with are their poor AGIPA people next door...

Suxs to be AGIPA.
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by OneNaira6: 4:52am On Mar 28, 2012
Immune#1:
Its really funny how people turn very plain details into weapons of tribalism and unnecessary comparison.Whether or not it sounds good to your hearing,Akwa-ibom state is on the rise, its very funny some people served(nysc) there and ripped benefits of which I don't have time to discuss about, then come here and spit garbage.The state is blessed and they have a governor that is taking full advantage of what the state offers to better the state; I don't see how that should inspire any level of provocation.Go and read more details about the sea-port in view, the very functional airport(which is still improved upon) and how you don't put the cart before the horse when planning.Akwa-ibom is bound to witness a great population surge and you are here saying the good roads in place are leading to no where?Am not picking on anyone here,just using the available angles to make a clear cut points that Goodswill is working and am glad for the state.

GBAM
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by adook1: 6:36am On Mar 28, 2012
May thunder strike all of you claiming to have seen any bridge,am from that village there us no bridge ,the company sinoend has a few broken down vehicles and equipment scattered all over the place.all these publicity stunt when akpabio leaves office you will hear the true story whether he is a thief or a crook.his rise is a product of the nigerian media editors that are on his payroll he has not paid salaries since december and is yet to implement the 18000 minimum wage.
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by Afam4eva(m): 10:27am On Mar 28, 2012
Please, which communities will this longest bridge be linking? is it necessary to have the longest bridge that does not serve any purpose considering the amount of money that will be wasted on such a project. It's not like people will be employed for every kilometer of the bridge.
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by KnowAll(m): 10:31am On Mar 28, 2012
delusional thread!!!

me sef, I am building the longest bridge in africa in my garden. cool
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by ocelot2006(m): 11:49am On Mar 28, 2012
Omo_Tier1:
Wait until Akpabio leaves office, I am sure your mouth that is running like cold gravy would sing a different tune!

Dude, do me a favour: Bleep off.
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by ocelot2006(m): 11:52am On Mar 28, 2012
zenus:

You will really know Ibibbio Man from his post, the are just like the Boko Guys from the North

Uhmmmm...one lil problem with your post: I'm Annang, through and through.
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by emmatok(m): 12:22pm On Mar 28, 2012
Beaf:

What is the purpose of the insults? Sometimes you have to wonder if some NLers are crazy. angry

Where is the insult here.
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by y2kaustin(m): 5:15pm On Mar 28, 2012
Akwa ibomites,they always run their mouth praising themselves,even when they are so blind to face reality..Rubbish!!!..Bunch of hypocrites and cowards!!
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Mar 28, 2012
crusifis:

relocate, i promise u wont regret it. forget about about the roads. their girls are something else

im from anambra, and i live in nigeria, u dont need to build roads so that people will clap for you, considering the lack of resources, he is building those roads where they are of economics value, lke aguleri, that produces rice e.t.c. like nnwei that has factories, apart from sch, and in my village too
U re a fool which road did peter obi build in nnewi. Do u kno hw much much fuel it cost me because I ve to follow a longer route to my work place just because dat marafoka spoilt d existn road all in d name of reconstuction. For two years. D only road built in nnewi by peter obi administration is nnewi onitsha which he stopped @welcome to nnewi. He only completed dat road wit less quality because of ikembas burial. So my man no dey spew rubbish. Ok. Peter obi is trash
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by mystikal(m): 12:30pm On Jul 13, 2012
Bridge or no bridge, One thing is certain though, that State is on the rise.
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by ubandire(m): 6:05pm On Jul 13, 2012
Abagworo: I give it to this man. If he is able to do that, he has beaten Amaechi hands down. It also means Bayelsa can work.

He needs not compete with Amaechi he's simply the best,ride on General!
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by mystikal(m): 11:06am On Jul 19, 2012
ubandire:

He needs not compete with Amaechi he's simply the best,ride on General!

I find it strange how Akwa Ibom gets compared with Rivers. Rivers has been in existence way long ago.
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by auroraequity: 6:58am On Dec 27, 2012
Some Inaccuracies here need correcting.
For list of longest bridges - see:
http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/sciencefacts/topten/longestbridges.html (top ten) OR
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_bridges_in_the_world (complete list)

*** The Longest Bridge in Africa is 6th october (Egypt) at 20.5KM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6th_October_Bridge NOT third Mainland.
It is also currently 26th in the world, so if this bridge gets completed at 21KM it will replace 6th October in 26th place not 3rd.
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by suyamasta(m): 10:15am On Apr 04, 2016
This is bridge is taking too long to complete
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by DisGuy: 4:28pm On Apr 04, 2016
suyamasta:
This is bridge is taking too long to complete

that's because the bridge is tooo long

too long in the nose cool cool
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by suyamasta(m): 5:07pm On Apr 04, 2016
DisGuy:

that because the bridge is tooo long
too long in the nose cool cool
Lol issoryt
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by Alphaoscar: 6:30pm On Apr 04, 2016
bridge aye
Re: Akwa Ibom Bridge The Longest In Africa? by Yampotatocarrot(m): 10:13pm On Apr 04, 2016
Can't believe someone dug this thread out...... Where r those "ibom ibom" guys...... Abeg where z d bridge o? Why haven't anyone mentioned this all these while they were talking bout Amaechi's monorail........ ??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC Presidential Primary: Buhari, Northern Governors In Closed-Door Meeting / Rev. Father Mathew Hassan Kukah On Buhari / Rivers Is Not Edo, Oraye Tells Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.