Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,222 members, 7,815,276 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

Who Is The "Next Of Kin" - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Is The "Next Of Kin" (9069 Views)

As A Husband, Or Wife, Who Will You Make Your Next Of Kin / Why You Should Be Careful In Choosing Your Next Of Kin (Photos) / Rude Awakening: I Am Not My Husband's Next Of Kin And Beneficiary!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by Okijajuju1(m): 3:51pm On Jan 07, 2013
boron10:

If she's not a bad mother, her children will take care of her. That she's my wife doesn't mean she won't be another man's wife when I die.

BOOOOOMM!!!

So who should your wifes next of kin be?!
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by ekiyor3: 4:21pm On Jan 07, 2013
nath01: hello my people.....there was great argument in my office yesterday on who should be next of kin.one party believe that it should be one's child and another party said it should be one's spouse.what is your own contribution to this as per the correct one.comments are welcome....
are u a learner? Its a choice na! If u like put ur neighbour or ur landlord pikin, its ur choice ooo.
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by Ikoniko(f): 4:21pm On Jan 07, 2013
Okija_juju:

So na now you remember say you no use your husband as next of kin... angry

Yet when ehn die and ehn family come to collect ehn property, you go start to jump like fowl wey hawk carry ehn pikin... grin
True talk
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by kennytidistar(m): 4:24pm On Jan 07, 2013
It realy depend on the family status, their was a man who called me to change his next of kin to one of his son, while i still work with AIICO insurance then, i ask why not the wife he say she had gone wayward that he is the only one who know the status of his family so i have no option i did change it to that son, some will even use local govt, NGO, and other charity group it is allowed. As long as you no longer trust any you can chage them.
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by boron10(m): 4:31pm On Jan 07, 2013
Okija_juju:

BOOOOOMM!!!

So who should your wifes next of kin be?!

Her child cool cool
slimyem: You are the one getting it twisted.
The issue is subjective,
I for one think your next of kin should be a trusted mature adult and whether the person is older than you or not should not matter.
My dad is and has always been my next of kin.smiley

Does it actually make sense to have someone who has a very high tendency to die before you as your next of kin?
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by Chrisbenogor(m): 4:40pm On Jan 07, 2013
If I loved and trusted a woman enough to be married to her and have kids with her then it has to be her.
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by slimyem: 4:47pm On Jan 07, 2013
boron10:
Does it actually make sense to have someone who has a very high tendency to die before you as your next of kin?
Doesn't matter!
If the person dies before you,you simply change your next of kin!
Besides,what/who defines "high tendency"?

1 Like

Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by Okijajuju1(m): 4:49pm On Jan 07, 2013
slimyem: Doesn't matter!
If the person dies before you,you simply change your next of kin!
Besides,what/who defines "high tendency"?

I would have thought that would be the obvious & logical answer to his question.....

Abi ehn get people death timestable?!
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by ifedun2: 4:50pm On Jan 07, 2013
My son.
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jan 07, 2013
Though am still single..........honestly my Future wife can NEVER be my next of kin......coz they may betray u sooner or later.My first offspring is my best bet........i pray he his a male.....but if na female......no.
Each and everyone wld av their inheritance,but my first male child wld be in charge
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by Okijajuju1(m): 4:58pm On Jan 07, 2013
I Hate 9ja: Though am still single..........honestly my Future wife can NEVER be my next of kin......coz they may betray u sooner or later.My first offspring is my best bet........i pray he his a male.....but if na female......no.
Each and everyone wld av their inheritance,but my first male child wld be in charge

Is your mother a Man?!

Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jan 07, 2013
Whoever is closest to you. It doesn't have to be a family member, it could be anybody but then that depends on the jurisdiction of your area.
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by Jaggiey: 5:33pm On Jan 07, 2013
I have read the various comments along this thread and I must say it is really interesting; the twist and turn around this subject matter. I have my own view but before I present it, I will like to quote an online dictionary meaning I got for "next of kin":

next of kin
n. pl. next of kin
1. The person or persons most closely related by blood to another person.
2. Law
a. The closest relative of a deceased person.
b. (used with a pl. verb) The relative or relatives entitled to share in the personal property of one who dies intestate.

My view:
The choice of the next of kin is dependent on a number of factors and the person in question. In a certain sense, I may say it is personal. For a single person, the person'S choice is between his closest blood sibling or parent(s). The reason may be a consideration of age or who maturity to handle matters in times of crises. Sometimes, it may not be your immediate sibling that is chosen; you may give thoughts to the person's character or integrity. I have had an experience with my younger brother before I got married. He was my next of kin prior to my discovery of his weakness with pool betting and mismanagement of funds. Once I discovered this, I switched to the next sibling I perceived as reliable and trustworthy. After much guide and persuasion, he improved to become virtuous and responsible over time and I got comfortable to the extent I could restore his status. You are at liberty to change your next of kin whenever you deem fit. At some points too, I had reasons to choose my parents for medical reasons.

As a married person, the choice is between your child and your spouse. If you have under-aged children, you may choose your spouse but as your children get older into their teens or early adulthood, you may begin to consider them as your next of kin. This has nothing to do with love or hate, trust or distrust of your spouse. In fact, appointing your children as your next of kin does not deny your spouse any right/access to your property or assets and having your children as your next of kin does not give your children automatic access to your property where you have a will(i.e. testament/codicil) drawn up. If, on the other hand, you feel strongly about your spouse, you may make him/her the sole next of kin in all circumstances; you have done no well to do so. It is only logical that they will treat their children well in case of taking possession of your bequeathal are gone yonder. Caveat: to every rule, there could however always an exception.No 100% guarantee! hard truth!!

My submission is this, in making the decision, please think through it and even more, draw up a will to accomodate what you want for your spouse and children. You must protect your nuclear family from unreasonable relatives where they exist; people change so we must plan for this accordingly. For those with God-fearing extended family members, still protect your family to fulfil all righteousness. Leave no room for any disadvantage to the future of your nuclear family.

In the final analysis, I think the decision is personal and people should not be sentimental about it. I just hope that in taking this personal decision, we will think deeply through it and decide in the interest of our vulnerable loved ones.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by Ogojohn(m): 6:32pm On Jan 07, 2013
THE ISSUE OF NEXT OF KIN IS ALWAYS A THORNY ISSUE IN OUR SOCIETY. BUT MY ADVICE IS WHEN IN DOUBT CONSULT A LAWYER. THE ISSUES THAT AROSE ON THE DANA AIRWAYS CLASH IS A CASE STUDY. SOME FAMILIES WERE DIVIDED OVER WHO IS THE NEXT OF KIN OF THERE DISEASED ONE.WIFE AGAINST SIBLINGS AND PARENTS AGAINST WIFE. MIND YOU. THIS IS NO LONGER BANK WHERE YOU WRITE DOWN YOUR NEXT OF KIN.OK HERE WHO DETERMINES THE NEXT OF KIN. WITHOUT KNOWING. ALL OF THEM ARE NEXT OF KIN AND ARE QUALIFIED FOR COMPENSATION. WHEN YOU DON'T CONSULT A LAWYER ON AVIATION MATTERS AND INSURANCE YOU WOULDN'T KNOW AND YOU WILL BE CHEATED OUT. SO ON THIS MATTER. THE FATHER,THE MOTHER.THE WIFE,THE CHILDREN AND ALL THE IMMEDIATE BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF THE DISEASED ARE ALL QUALIFIED AS NEXT OF KIN AND ARE QUALIFIED TO BE PAID COMPENSATION. THIS IS A FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE AND A REAL LIFE TALE. SO NEXT OF KIN DEPENDS ON THE CIRCUMSTANCE.
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by MacLovington(m): 7:09pm On Jan 07, 2013
nath01: hello my people.....there was great argument in my office yesterday on who should be next of kin.one party believe that it should be one's child and another party said it should be one's spouse.what is your own contribution to this as per the correct one.comments are welcome....

Next of kin is not necessarily the same as "legal heir". That is clearly defined depending on jurisdiction.

In your place of work if you work say in an oil rig, skycraper construction, pilot, truck driver or any potentially hazardous job, it makes no sense to make your 3 year old son or your granny suffering from Azheimer's your next of kin.

In fact it should be somebody who can make a decision in your best interest if you become incapacitated. It's not same as the person to inherit your wealth. That should be sorted in your will or if you die intestate, most jurisdictions would make your heirs in descending order: Spouse, children, your parents, blood sliblings etc.

It is just that you would normally make your heir your next of kin also BUT they are not always synonymous.
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by MacLovington(m): 7:22pm On Jan 07, 2013
Ogojohn: THE ISSUE OF NEXT OF KIN IS ALWAYS A THORNY ISSUE IN OUR SOCIETY. BUT MY ADVICE IS WHEN IN DOUBT CONSULT A LAWYER. THE ISSUES THAT AROSE ON THE DANA AIRWAYS CLASH IS A CASE STUDY. SOME FAMILIES WERE DIVIDED OVER WHO IS THE NEXT OF KIN OF THERE DISEASED ONE.WIFE AGAINST SIBLINGS AND PARENTS AGAINST WIFE. MIND YOU. THIS IS NO LONGER BANK WHERE YOU WRITE DOWN YOUR NEXT OF KIN.OK HERE WHO DETERMINES THE NEXT OF KIN. WITHOUT KNOWING. ALL OF THEM ARE NEXT OF KIN AND ARE QUALIFIED FOR COMPENSATION. WHEN YOU DON'T CONSULT A LAWYER ON AVIATION MATTERS AND INSURANCE YOU WOULDN'T KNOW AND YOU WILL BE CHEATED OUT. SO ON THIS MATTER. THE FATHER,THE MOTHER.THE WIFE,THE CHILDREN AND ALL THE IMMEDIATE BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF THE DISEASED ARE ALL QUALIFIED AS NEXT OF KIN AND ARE QUALIFIED TO BE PAID COMPENSATION. THIS IS A FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE AND A REAL LIFE TALE. SO NEXT OF KIN DEPENDS ON THE CIRCUMSTANCE.

Maybe that's because our judiciary is weak AND because people don't always respect/obey legal pronouncements.

Inheritance law is very clear in most organised societies about who takes preference if a person dies intestate. Of course a will can be contested in court BUT that's a different matter altogether.
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by manny4life(m): 8:05pm On Jan 07, 2013
1) Mom

2) Younger brother.
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by tlops(m): 8:06pm On Jan 07, 2013
2 million: since 28 march 2012 na now this topic d make homepage...dis mod wicked o

That is to say this year all hidden glory shall be brought to light....o ya say Amen!1
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by Moses247(m): 8:22pm On Jan 07, 2013
Ur broda ke? Ahaha day dreaming dis d same mistake my Late Fada did..now we re suffering it. D broda say MAKE WE GIV AM D RETIREMENT PAPERS...WE SAY NO...NOW AS AM TALKING to u DIA IS NO PEACE IN D FAMILY BECOS WE CANT TRUST HIM kiss
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by ikachi1: 10:03pm On Jan 07, 2013
My wife!
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by kbsheshe(m): 10:34pm On Jan 07, 2013
[b][/b]My son
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by NovusHomo(m): 1:02am On Jan 08, 2013
Whoever you say that is.
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by OmolodMilkman93(m): 6:38am On Jan 08, 2013
Isiterere: Seriously an confused here. I am the last born of the family . Who should be my next of kin ? ? Am still a bachelor...
my yunga sista, hpe u get enuf money?
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by OmolodMilkman93(m): 6:45am On Jan 08, 2013
Dnt make mistake oh,.,my dad wen go put him illiterate, cls to useless broda and his late dad, nearly made me sufa 4 wicked relatives hand,.... I can neva make dat mistake again oh,.. Its my son or no one else(bt 4 now its my mum)
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by AuwalMKargo(m): 7:51am On Jan 08, 2013
CrazyMan: If you're single, then your immediate sibling should be ok...if you're married, your wife or first son is also ok.
Right!!!
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by STEKENT: 3:05pm On Jan 08, 2013
Lol, in case of trouble use your papa or mama, in case of benefit or dead use your spouse or pikin
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by charlsecy4(m): 3:47pm On Jan 08, 2013
Next of kin could be your nearest living relative[s].

Emzybrown: Nath01, did u use juju on mod,how did yu made front page after opening thread since march 2012

Date is not necessarily important in determining whether or not a post should appear on Frontpage.
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by Ardedaryor(m): 7:18pm On Jan 08, 2013
coz am d only son soooo ma NEXT OF KIN is ma elder sis
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by dayokanu(m): 7:26pm On Jan 08, 2013
Some people dont know what a next of kin is or what the use is

If you are hospitalised and unable to make decisions, Your next of kin should be the one to make it. So whats the point in making your 4yr old son Next of kin

Its always reasonable to make someone over the age of 18(An adult) your next of kin
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by armyofone(m): 7:53pm On Jan 08, 2013
Male Chauvinist as usual, never change tongue.

A simple question and you gave that flabbergasted answer?

simply put, your wifey and not your 18years old child or the latest 4years old from your baby mama.

dayokanu: Some people dont know what a next of kin is or what the use is

If you are hospitalised and unable to make decisions, Your next of kin should be the one to make it. So whats the point in making your 4yr old son Next of kin

Its always reasonable to make someone over the age of 18(An adult) your next of kin
Re: Who Is The "Next Of Kin" by Flawlessdiva1(f): 9:56pm On Jan 08, 2013
Where do u get all these hilarious pix from.you just know the right picture for every comment.
Okija_juju:

Is your mother a Man?!

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Letter To My Father! By Refiner / My Husband Or My Figure? / Guy Beats Up His Sister's Abusive Boyfriend & Makes Him Apologise (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.