Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,210 members, 7,815,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

My Vision For World Bank - NGOZI OKOnJO IWEALA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Vision For World Bank - NGOZI OKOnJO IWEALA (1527 Views)

Abacha Loot Is Too Huge For Us To Handle – World Bank / Jonathan Unveils Vision For Next Four Years / A Manifesto For APC To Adopt: My Vision For Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Vision For World Bank - NGOZI OKOnJO IWEALA by Nobody: 4:36pm On Mar 28, 2012
The Nigerian Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy, and Africa’s nominee for the Presidency of World Bank, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has expressed confidence that she could win the contest to become President of the World Bank if the election process is open and transparent.

Dr. Okonjo-Iweala is contesting against two other nominees including Jim Yong Kim of the U.S. and former Colombian Finance Minister Jose Antonio Ocampo.

Expressing confidence at a media briefing yesterday in Abuja, Okonjo-Iweala enunciated her vision for the global financial institution, remarking that she possesses the best credentials to turn the focus of the Bank to the challenges facing developing countries and emerging economies across the world.

Okonjo-Iweala, who has since embarked on a tour of the continent to draw support for her candidacy, stated that she enjoys support from emerging market countries because of her experience with developing nations.

She said: “There are many emerging market countries that are very supportive of my candidacy and many of them feel that the World Bank is ready for someone who understands the challenges of emerging economies and of developing countries, and can totally focus on expanding opportunities for growth and development using practical financial tools to create growth.”

According to Okonjo-Iweala, “my vision for the World Bank is that of an institution that is swifter and nimbler in tackling what I consider the most important challenge of many countries, especially developing economies, which is job creation.

World Bank under me ‘ll support volatile countries
“I will work to create an institution that can work fast to support countries in times of volatility and uncertainty such as many global economies are currently facing. That is what I intend to bring to the World Bank if elected President; both practical experience and unimpeachable credentials required to do the job.”

The Minister expressed confidence in her nomination for the position, adding that shareholders of the World Bank have indicated their interest to see a more open and transparent system for the election of the body’s president.

“This is the first time that it is happening, and if there is an open and transparent process, I stand a good chance. If there is no level playing field, then we will see what happens. Otherwise, I stand a very good chance; I have the credentials for this job, and I can only remain positive,” she stated.

Okonjo-Iweala further disclosed that she had been to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and the Extra-Ordinary meeting of ECOWAS Heads of Government in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, to meet leaders in the continent, adding that, “what is happening is that Africa is excited about this nomination; they see it as something that is very significant for the continent because it has never happened before.

“This is the first time the position of a World Bank president will be contested and Africa is ready to pull together to show its support for my nomination,” she added.

Also speaking at the briefing, a former Minister of Finance and presently Nigeria’s representative at the World Bank, Mr. Mansur Muhtar, said Dr. Okonjo-Iweala possesses “one of the best credentials for the position at the moment.”

According to Muhtar: “Reasons being advanced by most of the people who have approached President Goodluck Jonathan to put up the Minister for the World Bank’s top job, and many others within the continent and outside who have canvassed for Dr. Okonjo-Iweala, is because of her impeccable credentials and her experience in senior management position at the World Bank.”

He added that there has been a lot of interest from other developing and economically emerging countries for the candidacy of Okonjo-Iweala for the position of World Bank presidency, adding that the campaign is focused not so much on the nationality of the candidates but on the qualities and credentials they bring to the table.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Finance has assured Nigerians that she remains focused on doing her job as Minister of Finance in spite of her interest in seeking the World Bank’s top job.

She stressed that although she was honoured by President Jonathan’s acceptance of her nomination for the position, she was still focused on delivering on the president’s reform agenda for which she was appointed over the past eight months.

She said: “My passion for Nigeria is unquestioned, and my commitment to doing this job (as Minister) is unquestioned and I am very focused on doing my job here as Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy.”

She added that, “the reforms that Nigeria is undertaking in the economy for the President’s reform agenda is on-going, and there is a National Economic team headed by Mr President himself that oversees the achievement of the economic goals of the government.”

In the event she had to leave, however, she stated that the president’s economic reform agenda would not suffer any setback because she works with a team of very experienced and patriotic Nigerians who would effortlessly carry on with the agenda.

Re: My Vision For World Bank - NGOZI OKOnJO IWEALA by Nobody: 4:43pm On Mar 28, 2012
Now its obvious that this woman is no World Bank advocate but just a wonderful achiever who want to help her country, she has reached where she is today by sheer hard work, PLS NLers can we all support her in prayers and in our utterances and be positive in this country for once. smiley
Re: My Vision For World Bank - NGOZI OKOnJO IWEALA by Nobody: 6:39pm On Mar 28, 2012
Like play like play,no b publicity stunt.
GO NGOZI,GO NGOZI grin
Re: My Vision For World Bank - NGOZI OKOnJO IWEALA by Callotti: 6:43pm On Mar 28, 2012
Empty vessels make the most hollow sounds!
Typical Nigerian braggart. . .without substance.

Shuttup woman! Don't blow your own trumpet.

There is a thin line between arrogance and confidence.

Na only you go school? Moo moo!
Re: My Vision For World Bank - NGOZI OKOnJO IWEALA by Nobody: 11:39am On Mar 29, 2012
Callotti: Empty vessels make the most hollow sounds!
Typical Nigerian braggart. . .without substance.

Shuttup woman! Don't blow your own trumpet.

There is a thin line between arrogance and confidence.

Na only you go school? Moo moo!

Hey buddy where did you say u came from undecided, cos you sound like Yoruba.
She did not nominate herself, but she is now telling what ppl have said about her, how good she is ok!!!,
If you dont blow ur trumpet who will blow it for u undecided
Re: My Vision For World Bank - NGOZI OKOnJO IWEALA by Johndoe100(m): 12:13pm On Mar 29, 2012
She loves the Nigerians so much she only wants half to die of poverty. I wonder how many wretched souls Africans her policies at the world bank will kill.
Re: My Vision For World Bank - NGOZI OKOnJO IWEALA by kokoA(m): 12:22pm On Mar 29, 2012
She can be hard working for all I care. She can become World Bank President for all I care, thats not my business. But anybody who supports a policy that seeks to further imporverish the poor masses is not worthy of my support. Thats my own view.
Re: My Vision For World Bank - NGOZI OKOnJO IWEALA by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 29, 2012
kokoA: She can be hard working for all I care. She can become World Bank President for all I care, thats not my business. But anybody who supports a policy that seeks to further imporverish the poor masses is not worthy of my support. Thats my own view.

I understand your point but dont you think that Subsidy is not her brainchild, She is working on the situation on ground, there are alot of Bad ppl in Nigeria gov, do you know why she was removed as finance minister by OBJ. She is not the president of Nigeria, Jonathan is and has d final say
Re: My Vision For World Bank - NGOZI OKOnJO IWEALA by kokoA(m): 1:09pm On Mar 29, 2012
kayci_d77:

I understand your point but dont you think that Subsidy is not her brainchild, She is working on the situation on ground, there are alot of Bad ppl in Nigeria gov, do you know why she was removed as finance minister by OBJ. She is not the president of Nigeria, Jonathan is and has d final say

She is the cordinating minister of the economy, which means the president can't take any decision without her advice as it relates to our economy. Madam Ngozi only started distancing herself from the subsidy removal when the protest became massive and people started losing their lives. That was when she began telling the whole world that the policy was decided upon before she came in.
Re: My Vision For World Bank - NGOZI OKOnJO IWEALA by Callotti: 1:30pm On Mar 29, 2012
kayci_d77:

Hey buddy where did you say u came from undecided, cos you sound like Yoruba.
She did not nominate herself, but she is now telling what ppl have said about her, how good she is ok!!!,
If you dont blow ur trumpet who will blow it for u undecided

Which Yoruba?
I just gave my opinion o!
Thank you!!!
May her trumpet remain LOUD!!!
Amen. cheesy
Re: My Vision For World Bank - NGOZI OKOnJO IWEALA by OAM4J: 3:08pm On Mar 29, 2012
Fingers crossed. When is the election or selection taking place?
Re: My Vision For World Bank - NGOZI OKOnJO IWEALA by Demdem(m): 3:15pm On Mar 29, 2012
HOUSE OF REPS FUEL SUBSIDY PROBE: Farouk Lawan: what is Nigeria’s daily fuel consumption?
Diezieni: 52million Liters
NNPC: 35m liters
DPR: 43m liters
PPPRA: 24M liters
Okonjo: 40M liters

Farouk Lawan: What was the subsidy for 2011?
Diezieni: 1.4Trillion
Okonjo: 1.3Trillion
CBN: 1.7Trillion

Farouk Lawan: Can we have the KPMG REPORT?
Okonjo: I have to go through the report first
Diezieni: I have not seen the report

Farouk Lawan: What is the production capacity of our local refineries?’
NNPC: 30%
PPPRA: 20%
DPR: 13%
Diezieni: 15%

Farouk Lawan: Does Nigeria pay subsidy on locally refined Products?
Diezaini: it depends
NNPC: The lay man cannot understand how it’s done
PPPRA: yes
DPR: No

Farouk Lawan: Why is Kerosene still scarce?
Diezieni: Because its use by the aviation industry as aviation fuel
NNPC: Because there is no subsidy so NNPC overstretched its resources
PPPRA: it’s not properly deregulated

Farouk Lawan: what is the balance in the subsidy accounts?
Diezieni: it’s a virtual account
NNPC: There is no account in existence as the lay man will look at it
PPPRA: The account is a technical one
CBN: There is no account with us for subsidy
Okonjo: The account exists but not with a bank. angry angry angry
Hmmm, abracadabra, the more you see the less u understand!

GOOD RIDDANCE. NONSENSE.

(1) (Reply)

ONDO DECIDES Results:mimiko Defeats Akeredolu, Oke In Their Wards / Media Chat War : Between Dialogue And OBJ'S Odi And Zakibiam Approach(pix) / Seun Fakuade Is A Scam Activist Who Hates Criticism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.