Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,697 members, 7,809,635 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do (8910 Views)

Yay!! Push Cv Just Congratulated Me!!! / Your CV - 5 Things You're Not Being Told / Writing A Winning CV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by Naijacareerist: 4:20pm On Mar 29, 2012
By Chika Uwazie

A resume is an essential item you need on hand in order to apply for any position. As simple as this may sound, I have seen countless resumes that do not have what I am looking for or are lacking important components that I end up declining. I am sure there has been a time you have sent your resume everywhere and cannot understand why you are not getting a call back. Maybe you get an interview, and then the hiring manager tells you, well your qualifications are not right for this job. Typically people are missing key items that can help their resume stand out from other competitors.

These 5 steps will help you create a stronger resume that will put you on a path to getting your dream job:

1. Place Keywords in Your Resume
Never, I mean never, send the same resume twice. As much of a pain in a butt it can be to redo each resume for each position you apply to, the results will be drastically different than sending the same one. HR managers are smart and they can figure out when they are receiving a generic resume. Learn to put in keywords in your resume that can be linked back to the position you are applying to. Here is an extra tip, to take it one-step further use word cloud generator to conduct a word analysis among your resume and the description of the job. You can use a word cloud generator like woordle and create a word cloud for your resume and the job description. If a lot of the big words on your resume do not match the big words on the job description this means the two do not align indicating to a recruiting you would not be a strong candidate for the job they are trying to fill.

2. Add Extracurricular Activities
At the end of the resume add interesting facts or extracurricular activities that you do outside of your profession. It can be as simple as running your own successful blog, to volunteering a non-profit. Employers want to see that you are actually human and enjoy seeing that fun touch on your resume. Remember not to go overboard with how many activities you list but one to three is sufficient enough.

3. Do Not Use Passive Words
Use power words on your resume. If you are using the word like “assisted” or “helped” on your resume then you need to evaluate the type of language you are conveying on your resume. Employers want to hire potential leaders they do not want to hire someone that cannot bring their own confidence to the table. If you are not sure what are good power words go here for a list of the top ones.

4. Put in Relevant Coursework
If you are a fresh graduate or an entry level job seeker list down relevant coursework and associations that are connected with the job you are applying to. A lot of people graduate with a totally different major than the job they are applying for and sometimes that can be confusing for a recruiter. A way to help recruiters know that you are ready for the job requirements write down a few courses that are applicable to the job you are applying for. This can also help when you have no other experience in that field but the classes you too.

5. Proofread Your Resume
You would think that people would make sure their resumes are grammatically correct, but I always see errors on people’s resumes. Once a recruiter sees an error, he or she concludes that the applicant is not serious about getting the job. If you cannot even make sure your sentences make sense, why should an employer take you seriously? Do not just trust Microsoft word or your word processor. Read your resume aloud and check if everything sounds right. Send out your resume to a few friends and ask them what they think. This is a small step, but is a big difference between your resume and others. Do not get your resume thrown in the trash because you misspelled a few words.

Via Ventures Africa

What has been your experience with your resume? Please share your thoughts on this thread. Thanks!

3 Likes

Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by victorazy(m): 4:55pm On Mar 29, 2012
Ssusuuu!!! What am my doing here. I don't write to CV, CV write to me, I thank God (be a sef employed today).
Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by daroz(m): 5:19pm On Mar 29, 2012
Nice one, but I will suggest you provide an example of an ideal resume for a particular job, let's say an administrative job for someone who studied a course like Agric Economics, or a bank job for someone who has a law degree.
Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by Blackteeth(m): 5:25pm On Mar 29, 2012
Mehn. This CV thing is really rocket science the way they make it sound. Even employers may not identify the so called ideal CV when they see one.

3 Likes

Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by emsquare(m): 5:46pm On Mar 29, 2012
daroz: Nice one, but I will suggest you provide an example of an ideal resume for a particular job, let's say an administrative job for someone who studied a course like Agric Economics, or a bank job for someone who has a law degree.

True!
Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by zannie(f): 5:57pm On Mar 29, 2012
I think its not bad if you put in all jobs u assisted in. It is well known that fresh graduates doing NYSC for example, don't automatically start managing a project even after a year. I think its better to put them all in instead of lying and saying stuff u ddnt do
Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by toluxa1(m): 6:45pm On Mar 29, 2012
Blackteeth: Mehn. This CV thing is really rocket science the way they make it sound. Even employers may not identify the so called ideal CV when they see one.

EXACTLY what was going through my mind as I read on.
Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by toluxa1(m): 6:49pm On Mar 29, 2012
My own question is, is it compulsory and how relevant is it that you include your class of degree in your CV?
Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by member479760: 8:37pm On Mar 29, 2012
follow the step even if you cannot do the job.
Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by PeeBee: 8:50pm On Mar 29, 2012
Jeez : o
Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by Naijacareerist: 9:34pm On Mar 29, 2012
Thank you for the replies. See this is the problem sending a resume to you will not help with your venture. Each resume must be specific for the job you are applying for. A administrative resume will look different than a bank resume. This is simply a guideline to follow to shape your own resume. And yes Resume's are not that simple and trust a good company can recognize a strong candidate it is very true. I do suggest if you are looking for a sample google search your title and then say resume. So if you are looking for an HR positions google ( human resource assistant resume).
Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by ORMORT: 10:53pm On Mar 29, 2012
nice one
Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by Nobody: 5:33am On Mar 30, 2012
why is everyone asking for a copy? I thought the OP was just trying to guide you to write YOUR OWN original CV?

2 Likes

Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by Ignatio(m): 6:53am On Mar 30, 2012
You all that are requesting for copies to be sent to your box Google is your friend.
Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by Skywalker5(m): 7:22am On Mar 30, 2012
Is it true you need to attach your photo to your CV in Naija? Just curious cuz my friend was trying to apply for some government job and he was told by his mates that he need to attach his photograph
Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by showtins: 7:48am On Mar 30, 2012
this is to show the level of unemployed people in nigeria.look at the way every body is requesting for a copy as if is a solution to the menace

1 Like

Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by meetgaya: 9:50am On Mar 30, 2012
KAI! NICE WORK. THESE DAYS CV DOESN'T WORK MUCH BUT WHO YOU KNOW COUNT MUCH.

1 Like

Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by ireti123: 5:00pm On Mar 30, 2012
CV to me is a waste of time to the HR, and should be out of date by now as a questionaire to get same info during assessments like tests can be used to get more realistic details about the applicant than the stereotyped ones given in CVs. There is info all over the internet to guide you write a "good resume". Anybody, even those without the necessary skills & know how, can make use of the socalled keywords and get called for the next phase of recruitment. Everybody claims to be a goal getter, can work under pressure without supervision, self motivated, and the likes these days, yet are same people that find it difficult to take initiative to study while still in school. In my own opinion, CVs are good, but shouldn't be the starting point of recruitment process, especially for entry level.

1 Like

Re: Writing A Job-Winning CV: 5 Important Things You Should Do by egbason: 2:28am On Mar 31, 2012
Pls can any one who has successfully filled and submit his online CV to Total oil and or MRS oil, share with me how he got tru. I ve bn trying for 2 days now without success.
Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bankers & Professional Bankers Discussion Thread / My Company Owe Me Money!!! How Can I Get It Back / Workers:4 Simple Ways To End Each Workday Happy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.