Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,384 members, 7,819,393 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

How Do I Collect My Money?? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Collect My Money?? (4290 Views)

My Husband Steals My Money / I Told My Hubby To Stop Using My Money.am I Wrong? / They Just Want Me For My Money Etc... Does True Love Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Collect My Money?? by nzenze2: 6:54am On Mar 30, 2012
Good day house,

I borrowed money to a colleague of mine last two months..she had a little problem with her rent and borrowed the sum of 700k from me.she promised to pay me once they pay us our profit sharing allowance.she gave me a post dated chq.

My problem started when she died via child birth three weeks ago..she was buried this past Thursday (may she r.i.p)...the chq bounced when i presented it for payment..i guess the family used the funds for her burial.

Am now at a dilemma..how best do i approach her husband to demand refund of the money i borrowed the wife??

i have no witness,the only evidence i have is the electronic printout the bank gave me when i transferred the money and the bounced chq.

any useful advise will be appreciated as i really need this money.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by Nobody: 7:48am On Mar 30, 2012
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by ifyalways(f): 8:16am On Mar 30, 2012
For your sanity,begin now to forget that money.
How in Gods green earth do you borrow money to a married woman without a neutral 3rd party as a witness?

Question for you sir:
How would you react if 3 months after your wife's death,her male colleague comes to you with a post dated cheque and claims ur late wife was owing him?no witness,no written IOU.

A hard loss for you but a very important lesson to be grabbed too.

Pursue this issue to much and you'd be surprised to see it twist to "she were your secret lover" or something.Then again,if the husband is a gentleman he might understand and come up with a payment plan.

Another way to go about is to look for respectable folks in your company and see if they'd be convinced about this your story.They can now act as middlemen and help you go meet the man.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by taryour(f): 8:33am On Mar 30, 2012
No be small tin oo. If na me,i would just forget abt d money cause i wunt even av the courage to ask for d money. Loosing a friend is enuf greif. I hope they belive u sha.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by nzenze2: 8:36am On Mar 30, 2012
ifyalways: For your sanity,begin now to forget that money.
How in Gods green earth do you borrow money to a married woman without a neutral 3rd party as a witness?

Question for you sir:
How would you react if 3 months after your wife's death,her male colleague comes to you with a post dated cheque and claims ur late wife was owing him?no witness,no written IOU.

A hard loss for you but a very important lesson to be grabbed too.

Pursue this issue to much and you'd be surprised to see it twist to "she were your secret lover" or something.Then again,if the husband is a gentleman he might understand and come up with a payment plan.

Another way to go about is to look for respectable folks in your company and see if they'd be convinced about this your story.They can now act as middlemen and help you go meet the man.

we were recruited the same day.found out we were from the same state and have been..we have been friends since then..like 2yrs now..moreover she was single then..she got married last year and we have maintained that friendship.

i have the post dated chq and payment details..thats d only evidence i have.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by ifyalways(f): 8:46am On Mar 30, 2012
nzenze2:

we were recruited the same day.found out we were from the same state and have been..we have been friends since then..like 2yrs now..moreover she was single then..she got married last year and we have maintained that friendship.

i have the post dated chq and payment details..thats d only evidence i have.

Ngwanu,take your evidence and look for 2 or 3 married and matured people in your place of work and explain your predicament to them.

If they buy this story and agree on helping you approach the man,you stand a chance of getting some part of your money back "someday".The most important thing is "who and how the man is approached",it would determine to some extent,his reaction and reply.Wrong approach and you fit end up in cell.LOL

Goodluck.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by Nobody: 10:18am On Mar 30, 2012
@OP
A) if she did borrow money for the rent then husband definitely knows about it (and maybe he was too ashame to come ask you himself). go talk to him about it and it should all be cleared.

B) how can anyone (in this day and age) borrow money to people without signing any papers? beats me!

C) if nothing works then take that bounced check, frame it, and keep it as a reminder for the future. how can you go and cash a dead woman's check? any wise person would laugh at your story, if the only evidence you got is a bank statement.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by Nobody: 10:27am On Mar 30, 2012
The reality in Nigeria today is that a lot of women pay house rent, the economy is bad, many husbands in businesses are being owed for contracts, some have been laid off and working wives have to pay the rent so this is not strange at all. Secondly if they both work in a bank this is very commen, you laon collegues money and they gove you post dated checques to recover your money.
Poster, simply wait for a respectable time after her burial, 1 -2 months is good that is the period when the deceased affairs are usually settled, meet her husband and explain, I am sure he is aware that she borrowed money from a collegue for rent, inform him that you are that collegue and work out a payment schedule. In Nigerias economy today 700k is no joke, not everyone can write off such a huge loan. Good luck
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by blank(f): 10:53am On Mar 30, 2012
Go and meet the husband and explain the situation. If he says he won't pay and you want play hardball, tell him you will take him to EFCC as her next of kin. Issuance of a dud cheque is illegal last time i checked.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by Mowire: 11:06am On Mar 30, 2012
I agree comletely with @debrief08.

Plus don't set your mind on the money as to become too anxious, cos if the husband's finances' very bad he may not be able to do anything in a short while. In other words you will have to tag along with whatever the man can come up with at a time. And frankly this is not the kind money you may use "gragra" to recover. It may take long while.

Quite a pathetic story all round.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by deshclones(m): 11:48am On Mar 30, 2012
o boy..just kiss your money goodbye...lady is dead and gone and there is nothing you can do about it.

nawaoh...700k shocked shocked shocked thats some cool dmoney gone down the drain.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by queensmith: 11:50am On Mar 30, 2012
You need to get the money from her next of kin, her husband. If they took her funds after her death they can also take her debt. You should approach him as soon as possible before he scrams. It is a sensitive time but if the husband is a noble man he will honour the debt and get the money back for you asap.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by taryour(f): 12:29pm On Mar 30, 2012
deshclones: o boy..just kiss your money goodbye...lady is dead and gone and there is nothing you can do about it.

nawaoh...700k shocked shocked shocked thats some cool dmoney gone down the drain.
very true,u eida forget d money n pray to God to enrish ur pocket or u get d money bak in bits,like geting 5k to 10k per month or less dan dat cos d man will av other bills to meet with.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Mar 30, 2012
taryour:
very true,u eida forget d money n pray to God to enrish ur pocket or u get d money bak in bits,like geting 5k to 10k per month or less dan dat cos d man will av other bills to meet with.
Please can we quit this defeatist attitude and stop discouraging the guy? Haba, let him try first, we discourgae people from getting thier dues all the time: "dont go to court to challenge wrong dismissal, you will waste time and money" "dont go to court when a Doctors malpractice costs a life, leave it to God to judge", haba, allow the guy to try first, he didnt ask if he should get his money or not, he asked HOW he should get his money, if you dont know how one can recover money lent to a deceased then let him be. It is his money, he deserves to try all avenues to recover it, it is not his fault that she died, he did a favor by helping a friend in need.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by queensmith: 12:59pm On Mar 30, 2012
debrief08:
Please can we quit this defeatist attitude and stop discouraging the guy? Haba, let him try first, we discourgae people from getting thier dues all the time: "dont go to court to challenge wrong dismissal, you will waste time and money" "dont go to court when a Doctors malpractice costs a life, leave it to God to judge", haba, allow the guy to try first, he didnt ask if he should get his money or not, he asked HOW he should get his money, if you dont know how one can recover money lent to a deceased then let him be. It is his money, he deserves to try all avenues to recover it, it is not his fault that she died, he did a favor by helping a friend in need.

The attitude i think is down to cowardice and is very common in africans, i guess the arrogance doesnt defeat that...
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by Johndoe100(m): 2:11pm On Mar 30, 2012
@OP
You can get your money back only on these two conditions being met:
First the husband or official next of kin has it to give. Second you have enough heart to get it back.
You have enough evidence of a contract in the withdrawal documents and the post dated cheque (which I hope was writtten in your name). You must get a lawyer and make a formal claim against estate both at your office and at the court. You must ask your lawyer to gat an injunction stopping her next of kin from disposing of her estate and your office from paying any death benefit to her next of kin until the issue is settled, the insurance company holding your company/organizations GPA if any must also be cited as the third co -defendant. You stand a very good chance to get your money plus costs. However you will have to deal with hypocritically weeping avaracious relatives. If you need any practical help let me know.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by deshclones(m): 2:16pm On Mar 30, 2012
Johndoe100: @OP
You can get your money back only on these two conditions being met:
First the husband or official next of kin has it to give. Second you have enough heart to get it back.
You have enough evidence of a contract in the withdrawal documents and the post dated cheque (which I hope was writtten in your name). You must get a lawyer and make a formal claim against estate both at your office and at the court. You must ask your lawyer to gat an injunction stopping her next of kin from disposing of her estate and your office from paying any death benefit to her next of kin until the issue is settled, the insurance company holding your company/organizations GPA if any must also be cited as the third co -defendant. You stand a very good chance to get your money plus costs. However you will have to deal with hypocritically weeping avaracious relatives. If you need any practical help let me know.

nice suggestions man..but hey..this is nigeria...court case might drag for months or years..morover people might start looking at op as a conscienceless man...i still repeat my advice..op abeg kindly bid your money gdbye.... embarassed embarassed
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by tasandra: 2:23pm On Mar 30, 2012
u 4 go her grave,go take ur moni..abeg ur post no make sense. undecided
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by Outstrip(f): 2:43pm On Mar 30, 2012
The bounced check is proof enough that she owed you the money. I don't know what you need the money for but give them some time to grieve if you can. May her soul rest in peace
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by question(m): 4:39pm On Mar 30, 2012
May she RIP.
Did you attended the burial? at least a show concern (not only for the money).
Did her baby survive?

Anyway, Lesson #1 Never lend money you cannot afford to lose.

My advice is to inform the husband. If he pays, good.
If he does not want to pay or cannot pay, just forget the money and move on.

Who says you cannot give away more than N700k to charity.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by nzenze2: 4:50pm On Mar 30, 2012
question: May she RIP.
Did you attended the burial? at least a show concern (not only for the money).
Did her baby survive?

Anyway, Lesson #1 Never lend money you cant afford to lose.

My advice is to inform the husband. If he pays, good.
If he does not want to pay or cannot pay, just forget the money and move on.

Who says you can give away more than N700k to charity.

i attended the burial..even participated in the contribution my office did for her burial...its just sad ..i would have left the money if it were not that large..gosh 700k..that's my kid's brothers school fees...i just can't.

yes the baby survived.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by question(m): 4:59pm On Mar 30, 2012
^^^ So assuming (god forbid)that you are robbed or swindled of 700k. You mean you will stick to getting your money back at all cost?
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by question(m): 5:03pm On Mar 30, 2012
Meanwhile, the bereaved husband is now a single parent with all the financial/emotional stress of a new born baby.

Wish you luck in getting your money back.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by EfemenaXY: 5:12pm On Mar 30, 2012
nzenze2: Good day house,

I borrowed money to a colleague of mine last two months..she had a little problem with her rent and borrowed the sum of 700k from me.she promised to pay me once they pay us our profit sharing allowance.she gave me a post dated chq.

My problem started when she died via child birth three weeks ago..she was buried this past Thursday (may she r.i.p)...the chq bounced when i presented it for payment..i guess the family used the funds for her burial.

Am now at a dilemma..how best do i approach her husband to demand refund of the money i borrowed the wife??

i have no witness,the only evidence i have is the electronic printout the bank gave me when i transferred the money and the bounced chq.

any useful advise will be appreciated as i really need this money.

This really is a tough one and a sad story too.

I'm not even sure what the best advice to give you in this situation might be especially as it involves a married woman here.

You really need to put yourself in the husband's situation - he's lost not only his wife but his newborn baby - a double blow. If he has no awareness that his wife borrowed such a huge some of money, then this could prove really tricky for you. He might want to know why the secrecy in the first place? How long has this been going on behind his back and like someone already pointed out, he might even suspect you of being his wife's "lover". If it turns out this way, then your might as well kiss that money goodbye - as this would really embitter him.

If on the other hand he is aware that his wife borrowed such sums from you before she passed away, then you might be in for a bit of luck. Not easy though but a bit better than the first scenario. In this case, you'd still have to be extremely cautious on how you approach the matter. If you transferred this sum of money from your bank account to hers, then your bank statements should prove this. As you both work in the bank, you should also be able to provide evidence that this electronic transfer did take place, coupled with the postdated check given to you. Has the post dated cheque got her signature? and was it written in your name?

But I do wonder, what would you do if the husband in question says she did pay you the full amount (in cash) and that you want to use this sad occasion to "pull a fast one" or "scam" the family?

You might need to employ the services of a good lawyer to help you fight this out legally. Additionally, you might need to get some elderly married people (males) to help you fight your corner.

Sorry to paint such a bleak picture but this does not really look good for you. Lending a married woman such huge sums without any 3rd parties / witnesses / IOU's.

May the poor lady's soul and that of her newborn child rest in peace.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by deshclones(m): 5:23pm On Mar 30, 2012
Efemena_xy:

I'm not even sure what the best advice to give you in this situation might be especially as it involves a married woman here.

You really need to put yourself in the husband's situation - he's lost not only his wife but his newborn baby - a double blow. If he has no awareness that his wife borrowed such a huge some of money, then this could prove really tricky for you. He might want to know why the secrecy in the first place? How long has this been going on behind his back and like someone already pointed out, he might even suspect you of being his wife's "lover". If it turns out this way, then your might as well kiss that money goodbye - as this would really embitter him.

If on the other hand he is aware that his wife borrowed such sums from you before she passed away, then you might be in for a bit of luck. Not easy though but a bit better than the first scenario. In this case, you'd still have to be extremely cautious on how you approach the matter. If you transferred this sum of money from your bank account to hers, then your bank statements should prove this. As you both work in the bank, you should also be able to provide evidence that this electronic transfer did take place, coupled with the postdated check given to you. Has the post dated cheque got her signature? and was it written in your name?

But I do wonder, what would you do if the husband in question says she did pay you the full amount (in cash) and that you want to use this sad occasion to "pull a fast one" or "scam" the family?

You might need to employ the services of a good lawyer to help you fight this out legally. Additionally, you might need to get some elderly married people (males) to help you fight your corner.

Sorry to paint such a bleak picture but this does not really look good for you. Lending a married woman such huge sums without any 3rd parties / witnesses / IOU's.

nice write ups....

@op..kindly let it go..the stress is damn too much....its def not worth it
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by Abygul(f): 5:36pm On Mar 30, 2012
Do really tink ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ can get dat money out eva again ? Cos if she's actually married nd yet boRrows frm ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ to pay rent dat means dis couple might b goin tru finacial issues . Now she's dead , ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ wnt ur money back. Do ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ tink d dat dat culdnt afford to pay rent while d wife was alive wuld b able to pay wen she's dead.
My dear am nt sayin ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ shldnt try bt pls let me knw wateva responds dis man gives .
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by Abygul(f): 5:40pm On Mar 30, 2012
Efemena_xy:

Nyc right upp. Its really a sad 1 for him .
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by Nobody: 5:47pm On Mar 30, 2012
700,000 NGN is a lot of money to lend, without a third party present as a witness, or any other legal document. But, I personally would not be looking to demand that money back, I would feel like I was a grave robber.

And as for those saying the husband must have been privy to this "loan", that's all assumption. He may well have been aware, and he may not have, we'll never know. Someone mentioned EFCC. What good will that do? The husband didn't present a rubber cheque, and in order to prosecute him, it would have to be proven he was privy to his wife borrowing the money in the first instance.

My advice? Laminate that bounced cheque, stare at it from time to time, and be more savvy in future. We all make mistakes, but it's only a fool that doesn't learn from these mistakes, and repeats the same. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by nzenze2: 5:55pm On Mar 30, 2012
Siena: 700,000 NGN is a lot of money to lend, without a third party present as a witness, or any other legal document. But, I personally would not be looking to demand that money back, I would feel like I was a grave robber.

And as for those saying the husband must have been privy to this "loan", that's all assumption. He may well have been aware, and he may not have, we'll never know. Someone mentioned EFCC. What good will that do? The husband didn't present a rubber cheque, and in order to prosecute him, it would have to be proven he was privy to his wife borrowing the money in the first instance.

My advice? Laminate that bounced cheque, stare at it from time to time, and be more savvy in future. We all make mistakes, but it's only a fool that doesn't learn from these mistakes, and repeats the same. Good luck!

my brother..the reality that i have lost my money is gradually staring me in the face but i refuse to accept defeat. angry angry

i will sharply involve the police.we were duly paid our profit sharing allowance some days back..23rd of this month precisely and she was paid..i delayed cashing the chq as the chq was dated 26th of this month...i was just as astonished as you can imagine getting to the bank and meeting an empty account..someone suggested the husband is playing a fast one on me and i believe it...cause the speed the money was moved beats me.

am not giving up...never..i just need a good advice on how to go about it in a gentle and humane way as i don't want to use agberos and thugs...am down for whatever.. angry angry
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Mar 30, 2012
nzenze2:
my brother..the reality that i have lost my money is gradually staring me in the face but i refuse to accept defeat. angry angry

i will sharply involve the police.we were duly paid our profit sharing allowance some days back..23rd of this month precisely and she was paid..i delayed cashing the chq as the chq was dated 26th of this month...i was just as astonished as you can imagine getting to the bank and meeting an empty account..someone suggested the husband is playing a fast one on me and i believe it...cause the speed the money was moved beats me.

am not giving up...never..i just need a good advice on how to go about it in a gentle and humane way as i don't want to use agberos and thugs...am down for whatever.. angry angry

Buddy, that's your choice. Claiming money back from a dead person is pretty difficult. In your case, there isn't any proof with regards your transaction. Sure, you can pull a bank statement, and present the rubber cheque. it won't prove much. The circumstances are unknown. The husband could possibly say he has no knowledge of the loan. You would have to prove he did. Lending money to a married woman is a bad move, unless the husband was involved. It comes across as a clandestine "arrangement".

Your pal says the husband is playing a fast one, and of course he WOULD say that. How can he tell? He wasn't there. I understand you would like to believe the husband was aware of this loan, but it's pure speculation. For all you know, the money may have been for something else, and not "rent", as the deceased woman lead you to believe.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by EfemenaXY: 6:11pm On Mar 30, 2012
nzenze2:

No - Don't be too quick to judge the husband pls. You know the saying: "innocent until proven guilty". There could be other factors coming to play here. Who else might have access to her account?

If the husband is indeed playing a "fast" one on you, then your chances of getting your money back are even slimmer than before, as it only goes to show that he never intends to pay back that money to you. . .

If you involve the police, wouldn't they want their own "cut" / "share" of the money? and if you go down the path of violence i.e agberos and thugs, then that I believe would make things even worse for you - as the husband would claim victimization for a debt he knows nothing about - and you could be done for assault / grievous bodily harm / criminal damage e.t.c.

You obviously are upset about the whole issue but sometimes in life, the unexpected happens and we just have to deal with it. Hindsight is indeed a good thing as you surely would not have lent the lady your money if you had known things would turn out the way they did. You might just have to prepare yourself for the real possibility that you might never get your money back and move on henceforth.
Re: How Do I Collect My Money?? by Nobody: 6:14pm On Mar 30, 2012
Efemena_xy:

No - Don't be too quick to judge the husband pls. You know the saying: "innocent until proven guilty". There could be other factors coming to play here. Who else might have access to her account?

If the husband is indeed playing a "fast" one on you, then your chances of getting your money back are even slimmer than before, as it only goes to show that he never intends to pay back that money to you. . .

If you involve the police, wouldn't they want their own "cut" / "share" of the money? and if you go down the path of violence i.e agberos and thugs, then that I believe would make things even worse for you - as the husband would claim victimization for a debt he knows nothing about - and you could be done for assault / grievous bodily harm / criminal damage e.t.c.

You obviously are upset about the whole issue but sometimes in life, the unexpected happens and we just have to deal with it. Hindsight is indeed a good thing as you surely would not have lent the lady your money if you had know things would turn out the way they did. You might just have to prepare yourself for the real possibility that you might never get your money back and move on henceforth.

I agree.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Parent(s) Defending Children? / Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! / The Life Of Kids With Limited Limbs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.