Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,714 members, 7,809,705 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? (20729 Views)

Jamb University Eligibility Scam Alert. / JAMB UTME 2012: Stats And Figures. / Jamb University Cut Off Mark Is 180 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Onlytruth(m): 9:11am On Mar 31, 2012
Abagworo:

1) Anambra is clearly more populous than Imo.

2) Imo is more education minded than Anambra at least in recent generation.

3) The JAMB statistics is based on State of origin and not State of residence. That is why the figures for Abuja and Lagos are too insignificant.

4) If a census is done based on State of origin, Anambra is very much likely the most populous State in Nigeria followed closely by Imo, Akwa-Ibom and Delta.

But Delta is closer to Anambra in enrollment and population than Imo. You are right that Imo is very close to Anambra in population. That is the only way the figures would make sense. IMHO.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by chmod777: 9:17am On Mar 31, 2012
[size=18pt]ANYone who is upset or questioning the record should go back to JAMB archive and ask if Rochas free education has been there for the past 20 years that IMO state has been leading.
Just face reality and ask your poeple to have interest in education period
[/size]
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Areosapien(f): 9:23am On Mar 31, 2012
Tony Spike: While I cannot contest any of these figures. I believe these figures can only be meaningful if we can infer the following facts:

1. Do high figures of enrollment correspond to better quality of applicants?

2. Does the preference for a University relate to higher standard of teaching and facilities?

3. How many of these "preferred" Universities produce high quality graduates who can compete with their international colleagues?

4. Finally, don't we have occurences of applicants travelling to "special" states for UTME exams? As far as 12 years ago, I have heard that Imo state has lots of "special" centres. Thus, these large figures may give us an hint to their existence?

Based on my personal experience in Enugu as a Youth Corper some years back, I have the following observation:

1. Many of the full-fledged rural secondary schools i.e. J.S.S 1 to S.S.3 have an average of four teachers with at least 120 students per schools.

2. Many of these schools still manage to have as high as 100 students for WASC/NECO exams (don't ask me how they do it).

3. There's an apparently low-interest in secondary education there based on my 1-year interaction with the natives.

4. The arrival of corpers at these rural schools is seen as an achievement by the principals. Infact, these principals bribe NYSC staff to boost up their teaching staff portfolio with corpers accounting for as high as 80 % in some schools.

Now, to the last question: what makes states like Imo and Anambra more special than Enugu in terms of enrollment? Are they shoring up their enrollment figures by accepting applicants from other states? I leave the forum to answer the rest because I am now confused.

The problem about most posters on Nairaland is the incessant habit of talking faster than their own minds can actually digest. While you posted a lot of unverfied assertions, I'll just address the few that stand out.

Your statement about special centers located in Imo not only speaks on your lack of knowledge on how those JAMB got the figures, but also on your inability to differentiate between states.
To put you out of your misery, friend, those figures are gotten based on State Of Origin. Say it with me again . . . State Of Origin, NOT necessarily on exam center.

Secondly, the place well known for examination malpractice since time imemorial, has always been Rivers State (as can be shown by the number of canceled centres this year), and still not Imo as you say.

The problem with the average NL is ignorance, coupled with the misplaced urge to post stuff, no matter how stup1d it may appear to the other more enlightened people.

1 Like

Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Areosapien(f): 9:25am On Mar 31, 2012
Tony Spike: While I cannot contest any of these figures. I believe these figures can only be meaningful if we can infer the following facts:

1. Do high figures of enrollment correspond to better quality of applicants?

2. Does the preference for a University relate to higher standard of teaching and facilities?

3. How many of these "preferred" Universities produce high quality graduates who can compete with their international colleagues?

4. Finally, don't we have occurences of applicants travelling to "special" states for UTME exams? As far as 12 years ago, I have heard that Imo state has lots of "special" centres. Thus, these large figures may give us an hint to their existence?

Based on my personal experience in Enugu as a Youth Corper some years back, I have the following observation:

1. Many of the full-fledged rural secondary schools i.e. J.S.S 1 to S.S.3 have an average of four teachers with at least 120 students per schools.

2. Many of these schools still manage to have as high as 100 students for WASC/NECO exams (don't ask me how they do it).

3. There's an apparently low-interest in secondary education there based on my 1-year interaction with the natives.

4. The arrival of corpers at these rural schools is seen as an achievement by the principals. Infact, these principals bribe NYSC staff to boost up their teaching staff portfolio with corpers accounting for as high as 80 % in some schools.

Now, to the last question: what makes states like Imo and Anambra more special than Enugu in terms of enrollment? Are they shoring up their enrollment figures by accepting applicants from other states? I leave the forum to answer the rest because I am now confused.

The problem about most posters on Nairaland is the incessant habit of talking faster than their own minds can actually digest. While you posted a lot of unverfied assertions, I'll just address the few that stand out.

Your statement about special centers located in Imo not only speaks on your lack of knowledge on how those JAMB got the figures, but also on your inability to differentiate between states.
To put you out of your misery, friend, those figures are gotten based on State Of Origin. Say it with me again . . . State Of Origin, NOT necessarily on exam center.

Secondly, the place well known for examination malpractice since time imemorial, has always been Rivers State (as can be shown by the number of canceled centres this year), and still not Imo as you say.

The problem with the average NL is ignorance, coupled with the misplaced urge to post stuff, no matter how stup1d it may appear to the other more enlightened people.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by deols(f): 9:33am On Mar 31, 2012
Onlytruth: I know there was a time that University of Ibadan was in the same rank as UNN and OAU and UNILAG; how did UI only manage to rank lower than Imo state university in student preferrence? What happened to UI?

UI wouldnt be much preferred because of their requirements. Many students do so well and would readily get admissions elsewhere but would be denied same in UI.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by niyivasaz(m): 9:38am On Mar 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Most people prefer going to the interior villages in the east to write waec and jamb examinations because of malpractices.who wants to write exam in lagos and Abuja where there is strict supervision when you can get your 250 and above from one village in okija ? This figure does not translate to anything,it's just the usual student migration during exam period.if anybody has written jamb before,you'd understand better.

Cudnt av said it better!

1 Like

Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by deols(f): 9:42am On Mar 31, 2012
Onlytruth: Since Oyo is the 5th most populous state in Nigeria per the official figures, how come that UI is only attracting just 40,011 in JAMB preferrence?
Is it that Oyo citizens hate UI since they are 4th highest enrolling state? Is there a better school in Oyo state than UI?

Or is it that Oyo may not be that populous after all?
consider the possibility of people in oyo state, ibadan to be precise, preferring schools in other states. LAG or OAU as examples.
How about the possibility of them preferring to even go abroad for their studies. ghana is a good example. So is the UK .

1 Like

Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Abagworo(m): 9:43am On Mar 31, 2012
One other thing I'm surprised about statistics that no one has ever mentioned is that Igbos consist over 20% of Camerounian population.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Areosapien(f): 9:43am On Mar 31, 2012
Abagworo:

1) Anambra is clearly more populous than Imo.

2) Imo is more education minded than Anambra at least in recent generation.

3) The JAMB statistics is based on State of origin and not State of residence. That is why the figures for Abuja and Lagos are too insignificant.

4) If a census is done based on State of origin, Anambra is very much likely the most populous State in Nigeria followed closely by Imo, Akwa-Ibom and Delta.

Nwokem, please and please, I take God name beg you, STOP SHOWCASING YOUR CLUELESSNESS ON THE INTERNET!

Thanks.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by ChineduNlem(m): 10:00am On Mar 31, 2012
Imo is the most disadvantaged place to write exams. The competition for space is too high. The society demands too much from you. Starting with an education. The behaviour of the people is the reason for this trend. I wouldn't want you to willingly write a national exam in imo. Go to the north it's easier there.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by naptu2: 10:05am On Mar 31, 2012
1) Are census figures based on state of origin or state of residence?

2) Are the JAMB figures based on state of origin or state of residence?

3) What are the factors that determine choice of university? (This can only be determined via a survey; but how much do closeness to home, academic reputation of the university, social reputation of the university and cosmopolitan nature of the host community affect choice of university?).

4) What about population of kids who do not or cannot apply for university admission?
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by hanoti: 10:06am On Mar 31, 2012
chuks49:

You never fail to expose your ignorance, must you comment.

Funny!
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Abagworo(m): 10:07am On Mar 31, 2012
Areosapien:

Nwokem, please and please, I take God name beg you, STOP SHOWCASING YOUR CLUELESSNESS ON THE INTERNET!

Thanks.

As your name suggests, you must be a flying ape.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Abagworo(m): 10:19am On Mar 31, 2012
naptu2: 1) Are census figures based on state of origin or state of residence?

2) Are the JAMB figures based on state of origin or state of residence?

3) What are the factors that determine choice of university? (This can only be determined via a survey; but how much do closeness to home, academic reputation of the university, social reputation of the university and cosmopolitan nature of the host community affect choice of university?).

4) What about population of kids who do not or cannot apply for university admission?

1) Census is based on State of residence

2) JAMB is based on State of origin

3) Factors are usually personal but I think going by the Nigerian factor, adherence to academic calendar is an added preference.

4) That could be estimated based on Primary school enrollments and unfortunately, I've never stumbled upon such statistics.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Engineer96(m): 10:20am On Mar 31, 2012
Unizik has not been participating in
strikes; almost every graduate in Unizik
spent at most 4 years;' next year, it will
overtake Unilag!
This is one of the major reasons, if not the only major reason for the preference of NAU
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by onyengbu: 10:27am On Mar 31, 2012
Engineer96:

Unizik has not been participating in
strikes; almost every graduate in Unizik
spent at most 4 years;' next year, it will
overtake Unilag!
This is one of the major reasons, if not the only major reason for the preference of NAU

[size=14pt]Soooo true! The last time there was ever a closure or break in UNIZIK calendar was in April 2003 when wen rioted for tuition increment.

The school resumed in october 2003 and since then has NEVER stopped!

Thats what the school of GIANTS are made of![/size]
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by 2010a: 10:39am On Mar 31, 2012
Onlytruth: But by far my biggest shock of these is that NAU is now the second most popular school in Nigeria, second only to UNILAG. shocked shocked
When did this happen?

It happened about 10 years ago NAU left ASUU while UNN was busy jumping from one(cultist induced) strike to another(ASUU led) strike. Many of my friends who wanted to go to UNN went back to JAMB office to change their institution to NAU or UI. Only some medical students insisted on going to UNN and they are the only ones(except one in Igbinedion) among all of us still in the university.

I believe same goes for UNILORIN: no ASUU or cult induced strikes. So a 4 year program lasts 4 years; not a day more, not a day less.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 31, 2012
The JAMB statistics is not the one that is really shocking but the conclusions drawn by most contributors here.
As a data analyst, there are parameters and undelining assumptions that need to be put into considerations.

For instance, if the JAMB applications by States was done by using 'State of Origin' which was likely done that way, these conclusions may be drawn:
1. Imo States indegenes are favourably disposed to acquiring higher (university) education.
Note: I deliberately did not make use of the rate of JAMB application per Imo indegenous population because the official population figures of the States (in this case Imo) comprises people of various States of origin.
Even at that, this conclusion still have a shortcoming. Judging from the information obtained on this forum about 'free university education in Imo State', if this is true, then there is possibility of people of other state of origin claiming Imo to take advantage of the free education thereby increasing the Imo States' figure.
Another question arises here. The number of applicants in Higher institution situated in Imo State (Imo State University) is lower compared to those seeking admission in Lagos (UNILAG). This negates the argument of the free education making people to switch state of origin. However, the number of institutions in each state and the number of enrollment in each state still need to be known.

2. The high enrolment of 'Imo indegenes' In JAMB does not necessarily imply high population in Imo State but may mean high population of Imo indegenes accross the country seeking university education. In fact, the high enrollment might be due to the reason stated in 1 above.

@bolded: I assumed that JAMB used state of origin because, if not so, the Imo UNILAG should'nt have taken the lead but a university in Imo State.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by 2010a: 10:50am On Mar 31, 2012
chmod777: Why is Imo state always the highest in Education in Nigeria. Some folks even some Igbo folks would argue Anambra do not go to school, but I beg to defer because during my undergraduate , I had so many Anambra guys and even the best student was Anambra.
Kindly go back to JAMB statistical archive and you would see the trend is IMO, DELTA/ANAMBRA, and DELTA/ANAMBRA.

Please the other regions should wake up because the gap which Imo gives other states is always very wide.

IMO, IMO, I am happy to be Imo, and thank God Rochas has made education cheap

The trend is not new. In 2009, we had an arguement on a similar topic: Anambra indigenes don't go to school, only Imo state indigenes do. We went to Jamb website then( I can't find the link now) and we found out that, by far, Imo State has the highest enrollment numbers for JAMB exams but more Anambra people are admitted into universities than any other state in this country. This statistics was even quoted in wikipedia then

Lemme look for the link
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by TonySpike: 11:02am On Mar 31, 2012
While I must acknowledge my ignorance with regards to the JAMB statistics harvest. Since we can now agree that state of origin, rather than state of residence is the indicator. I have therefore edited my initial post but my first set of questions still beg for answers. Meanwhile, can we safely assume that higher number of applicants insinuate high number of graduates per state? Shouldn't we be looking at a much more comprehensive analysis of graduate output. Just thinking

@ Areosapien, there are better ways to educate rather than attacking the personality. This is exactly the problem of many NLers. Thanks
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by flyuche(m): 11:06am On Mar 31, 2012
they say "igbo people don't go to school". i laugh.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Areosapien(f): 11:27am On Mar 31, 2012
Abagworo:

As your name suggests, you must be a flying ape.

Now, this is another classic proof to show how ignorant and dumb you are.

Sapien is for HUMANS and not apes, my dumb empty headed friend, while AREO is a prefix to denote anything related to the planet MARS. In other words, my name stands for "Martian".

You see? You're too much of a DULLARD to be engaging in serious political discussions, fella. Why not sit this out?

Imagine. Akwa Ibom, 3rd most populous state in Nigeria. LMFAO! grin

1 Like

Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Abagworo(m): 11:46am On Mar 31, 2012
Areosapien:

Now, this is another classic proof to show how ignorant and dumb you are.

Sapien is for HUMANS and not apes, my dumb empty headed friend, while AREO is a prefix to denote anything related to the planet MARS. In other words, my name stands for "Martian".

You see? You're too much of a DULLARD to be engaging in serious political discussions, fella. Why not sit this out?

Imagine. Akwa Ibom, 3rd most populous state in Nigeria. LMFAO! grin

What is the difference between a martian ape and an earthly ape?

I did not put Akwa-Ibom as 3rd but one of the likely 2nd. Anambra is clearly 1st. Visit google earth and divide the states into portions and zoom. Do it for every State in Nigeria and you will be shocked. Anambra's population density is shocking. The same with Imo and Akwa-Ibom.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by niyivasaz(m): 11:49am On Mar 31, 2012
This post has been hidden grin
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Funkymallam(m): 12:06pm On Mar 31, 2012
@Onlytruth.
This answers ur question about NAU being the second mose prefered sch.
No strikes and what nots, just a private university in d clohing od a federal. Thumps up to the former VC who initiated that.

Chinedu Nlem: Guys i graduated from unizik in 06 and i'm from imo. May i enlighten you a bit. Every october the dean of students affairs publishes the academic time table for that year. Eg as we speak every student there knows when the exams will start and stop. Nobody even the vc can postpone exams without approval. Because of this the calendar runs non stop. Holidays and breaks are clearly defined ab initio. No fuel subsidy, Assu strike. And other negative nigerian factors can interfere. That system runs regardless. Concerning the teaching quality you may not agree with me but you will agree with me that for such an organised system teaching quality has nothing to do but improve. I'm not bragging we don't brag but the figures speak for themselves. We are a new generation sch but we maintain a consistent 100% NUC rating in the past 10 years. That should tell you something. On a personal note from my matric day to my graduation i spent only 4yrs 8 months to secure a bachelors degree in civil engineering. It was a marathon. Parents want their children in unizik because 5 yrs is 5 yrs.

Then as for IMSU being the most prefered state university, it has alot to do with the free education, since it covers the state university too.

Finally, when will my people embrace education?
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Funkymallam(m): 12:07pm On Mar 31, 2012
@Onlytruth.
This answers ur question about NAU being the second mose prefered sch.
No strikes and what nots, just a private university in d clohing od a federal. Thumps up to the former VC who initiated that.

Chinedu Nlem: Guys i graduated from unizik in 06 and i'm from imo. May i enlighten you a bit. Every october the dean of students affairs publishes the academic time table for that year. Eg as we speak every student there knows when the exams will start and stop. Nobody even the vc can postpone exams without approval. Because of this the calendar runs non stop. Holidays and breaks are clearly defined ab initio. No fuel subsidy, Assu strike. And other negative nigerian factors can interfere. That system runs regardless. Concerning the teaching quality you may not agree with me but you will agree with me that for such an organised system teaching quality has nothing to do but improve. I'm not bragging we don't brag but the figures speak for themselves. We are a new generation sch but we maintain a consistent 100% NUC rating in the past 10 years. That should tell you something. On a personal note from my matric day to my graduation i spent only 4yrs 8 months to secure a bachelors degree in civil engineering. It was a marathon. Parents want their children in unizik because 5 yrs is 5 yrs.

Then as for IMSU being the most prefered state university, it has alot to do with the free education, since it covers the state university too.

Finally, when will my people embrace education?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Students Sue Alabama College For Treating Them ‘like Animals’ / FG Releases N16.8bn To Settle Tertiary Institutions Salary Arrears / FG Approves Four New Private Universities In Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.