Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? (20727 Views)

Jamb University Eligibility Scam Alert. / JAMB UTME 2012: Stats And Figures. / Jamb University Cut Off Mark Is 180 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by aryzgreat: 12:15pm On Mar 31, 2012
Silent education revolution is going on in the south east, am suprised to meet my course mate frm unizik at alaba market doing his thing even with a b.engr frm unizik and masters degree from LASU.

For those suprised at unizik popularity, i spent 4yrs, 6months for a 5years engineering course at that school, no strike apart from the last strike caused by hike in school fees and we all paid thru our noses for damages and still paid the incresade school fee. i grduated in record time and by feb next yr i was in camp. unizik is not member of ASUU as a result immediately a session starts exam date is fixed, u beta start reading towards that exam date cos it can neva gonna be shifted. Quality is also high, the vc inspects all exam and if u are caught in malparactice or cultism no mercy, u must surely face senate and from there its gudbye. Am not suprised unizik is raising the bar!
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by DMainMan: 12:17pm On Mar 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Most people prefer going to the interior villages in the east to write waec and jamb examinations because of malpractices.who wants to write exam in lagos and Abuja where there is strict supervision when you can get your 250 and above from one village in okija ? This figure does not translate to anything,it's just the usual student migration during exam period.if anybody has written jamb before,you'd understand better.

Nyc one. U ar very rite. During my service at Delta state, there was exam malpractice for even prospective JSS1 students during there common entrance. I was so shocked as d children were asked to pay money for expo.

We the corpers objected but we were almost beaten by thugs ordered by the principal. D principal bribed the external invigilators and stated dat if he doesnt do dis, he wont b praised anymor and promoted easily as his village school usually take first position in d local government.

Schools from towns and cities came to write dere. D man don make money die

and now talkless of Jamb and WAEC, abeg i rest my case
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by sleekcm(m): 12:23pm On Mar 31, 2012
onye_ngbu*:

[size=14pt]Soooo true! The last time there was ever a closure or break in UNIZIK calendar was in April 2003 when wen rioted for tuition increment.

The school resumed in october 2003 and since then has NEVER stopped!

Thats what the school of GIANTS are made of![/size]

On point there, I was about to matriculate when the strike happened in '03. Graduated in record time, no strikes, perfect hols.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Funkymallam(m): 12:42pm On Mar 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Most people prefer going to the interior villages in the east to write waec and jamb examinations because of malpractices.who wants to write exam in lagos and Abuja where there is strict supervision when you can get your 250 and above from one village in okija ? This figure does not translate to anything,it's just the usual student migration during exam period.if anybody has written jamb before,you'd understand better.

I knw u are more intelligent than this. Dnt allow bigotry displace d lil credibility u still have here.

When did number of enrolment equals the venue chosen?
The ranking is based on d place of origin of students and not examination cetre, o knw u knw this but just trying to be funky.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by PalmTree(m): 12:49pm On Mar 31, 2012
Onlytruth: Since Oyo is the 5th most populous state in Nigeria per the official figures, how come that UI is only attracting just 40,011 in JAMB preferrence?
Is it that Oyo citizens hate UI since they are 4th highest enrolling state? Is there a better school in Oyo state than UI?

Or is it that Oyo may not be that populous after all?
You are obviously confusing ds issue. Is the population figure for oyo state inflated? No, and ofcourse UI is arguably the best in oyo state. As a graduate of geography with population science and demography as my specialty I assure you dat proximity or standards of schools are not d only reasons why students pick schools in nigeria. For instance my alma mata UNILORIN is widely sought after because of the uninterupted accademic calander. Hope this helps.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Funkymallam(m): 12:49pm On Mar 31, 2012
niyivasaz:

Cudnt av said it better!

And a supposed adult like u bought that? No wonder someone said nairaland have been taken over by underage.

1.When did where u take exams equals ur state of origin?
2. Which state or region does not have villages that also serves as centre?
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by oraclefemi(m): 12:52pm On Mar 31, 2012
chmod777:

Please young man, this is obtained by asking the computer to give you the number of applicants nation wide who are citizens of any state. Do not cloud your reasoning with poor mindset. This trend has been there for the past 15 years. A lot more people from IMo are educated.

Youre wrong, a lot of students migrate to place where you can write the exams and cheat easily, my sister went to a village in ijebu to write waec, migration occurs i am sure of that
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Funkymallam(m): 12:52pm On Mar 31, 2012
PalmTree:
You are obviously confusing ds issue. Is the population figure for oyo state inflated? No, and ofcourse UI is arguably the best in oyo state. As a graduate of geography with population science and demography as my specialty I assure you dat proximity or standards of schools are not d only reasons why students pick schools in nigeria. For instance my alma mata UNILORIN is widely sought after because of the uninterupted accademic calander. Hope this helps.

U still have not answered his question, even with ur geography degree.
I advice u read d question again, this time, slowly for better understanding.

Goodluck.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Sagamite(m): 12:54pm On Mar 31, 2012
It is quite foolish to conclude which region has the most educated based on JAMB enrolments or which university is of the highest quality based on selection popularity.

All the data from the table are only (at best) indicative, not conclusive.

If anyone is foolish enough to disagree with my assertion, feel free to challenge it.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Funkymallam(m): 12:57pm On Mar 31, 2012
oraclefemi:

Youre wrong, a lot of students migrate to place where you can write the exams and cheat easily, my sister went to a village in ijebu to write waec, migration occurs i am sure of that

Another confused dude.
Dude, ur exam centre does not change ur state of origin u used while filling the form.

Have u eva used excel? U can get ur figures by issuing commands that filter d state of origin for u.

Kai! Internet is really not for everybody.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by solomon111(m): 12:58pm On Mar 31, 2012
Well it seems, UNIZIK is gaining great heights.
I have a medical student friend there,and he is very good!
Anyway I think UNIBEN is still far better.
LOL.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by slimbruced(m): 1:00pm On Mar 31, 2012
Onlytruth: But by far my biggest shock of these is that NAU is now the second most popular school in Nigeria, second only to UNILAG. shocked shocked
When did this happen?

I think one of the major reasons NAU came second to Unilag in terms of student preference is the fact that they are not a member of the ASUU body...NAU dont go on strike..
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by juman(m): 1:02pm On Mar 31, 2012
Diligence: Unizik has not been participating in strikes; almost every graduate in Unizik spent at most 4 years;' next year, it will overtake Unilag!

I think that's the same reason why Unilorin has big number of applicants.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by realpeople: 1:08pm On Mar 31, 2012
I believe the fear of BOKO caused poor enrollment in the North. grin[color=#000099][/color]
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by juman(m): 1:14pm On Mar 31, 2012
realpeople: I believe the fear of BOKO caused poor enrollment in the North. grin[color=#000099][/color]

Noooooo. Their children are almajrisss grin

And their wicked leaders care not. Very very useless "leaders".
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by chuksikem(m): 1:21pm On Mar 31, 2012
Onlytruth: Question# 1
Since when did Nnamdi Azikiwe University become the most preferred university in the East, even ranking above UNN (per the JAMB preferred schools as published)?

Question# 2
Can one conclude that student preferrence for a university is a proof of academic standards, since there are other presumably similar schools in the same catchment area?

Quit yarning like you know all...google is your helper man...NAU has evolved into a much sought after school in nigeria...because of the massive developmental projects and massive lecture recruitment initiated by the then v.c prof ilochi okafor.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by chuksikem(m): 1:26pm On Mar 31, 2012
~Bluetooth:

you are indeed living a very sad life...

go check unilag and u.i admission figures...igbos make up 40-50% of those figures...you just spew rubbish for the sake of it...it really sucks to be you. angry angry
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by rezzy: 1:32pm On Mar 31, 2012
megawax8: where d Bleep is my school......FUTO

forgotten. cheesy
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Nnenna1(f): 1:56pm On Mar 31, 2012
Abagworo: One other thing I'm surprised about statistics that no one has ever mentioned is that Igbos consist over 20% of Camerounian population.

Are you sure about this?
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Nnenna1(f): 2:03pm On Mar 31, 2012
shocked

Imo State....wow!
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by nanos: 2:19pm On Mar 31, 2012
Onlytruth,

This topic was dealt with here https://www.nairaland.com/237534/look-who-going-school-nigeria three years ago. Imo, Delta and Anambra are consistent. Abia and Edo were among the first five until lately when they were overtaken by the ''O'' states.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Olalekan0(m): 2:22pm On Mar 31, 2012
koolboi: Imo state this year is a special case. The rise in applicants this year is due to the free education policies of Rochas
Thanks bro,I wonder why people are puzzling their brains over nothing. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to recognize that the surge in no of applications in Imo is as a result of Rochas's free education program which meant that folks who hitherto ventured into business and vocations are now back in schools.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by nanos: 2:23pm On Mar 31, 2012
Olalekan 0: Thanks bro,I wonder why people are puzzling their brains over nothing. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to recognize that the surge in no of applications in Imo is as a result of Rochas's free education program which meant that folks who hitherto ventured into business and vocations are now back in schools.

You are wrong. See here https://www.nairaland.com/237534/look-who-going-school-nigeria
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by nanos: 2:29pm On Mar 31, 2012
I will post newspaper reports for a number of years to prove the consistency of Imo and Anambra. JAMB website contained these information until Dibu Ojerinde destroyed the website (was he hiding something?). This is evidence from 2006.

JAMB Cancels 108,769 Results
Kolawole Daniel, Abuja - 08.07.2006

THE Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has cancelled the results of 108,769 candidates out of 806,089 who sat for this year’s Universities Matriculation Examination (UME) for engaging in examination malpractice.

A 38-year-old, Mr. Lymangee Agirafo, Benue State, headed this year’s list with an aggregate score of 330, while Mr. Ade Maliki, 46, from Kogi State with an aggregate score of 324 was also among the top ten.

Briefing newsmen in Abuja, JAMB Registrar, Professor Bello Salim, said it was quite unfortunate to note that the board was being forced to cancel many results because of large scale irregularity and malpractice discovered during the processing of the results.

Professor Salim also put the number of candidates whose scripts were unscannable at 7,430 due to multiple shading; incomplete shading, incorrect shading and leaving the scripts blank.

“This is quite unhealthy for the education sector and the board will continue to de-recognise examination towns and centres where wholesale malpractices were discovered,” he said.

The JAMB board registrar also announced that it has delisted about 1,700 examination towns where malpractice were perpetrated.

The analysis also showed six states who had the highest number of applications this year with Imo State topping the list with 83,895 applications, Edo State with 57,754, Anambra State with 57,607, Delta State with 54,522, Abia State with 39,054 and Akwa Ibom State with 36,054.

https://www.nairaland.com/17612/interesting-statistics-jamb
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Mar 31, 2012
Olalekan 0: Thanks bro,I wonder why people are puzzling their brains over nothing. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to recognize that the surge in no of applications in Imo is as a result of Rochas's free education program which meant that folks who hitherto ventured into business and vocations are now back in schools.
mumu. Since 1980s imo state has always bn ontop. So maybe rochas declare free education then? Rochas free education has not even implemented.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by nanos: 2:42pm On Mar 31, 2012
This is for 2009

JAMB withholds results of 23,819 candidates over malpractices
Submit Comment | Print | Email

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 - Oluwole Josiah
Viewed 67 Times
Decrease Text Size Increase Text Size
Rating: Click To Rate by 0 users

Registrar of the board, Prof.
Registrar of the board, Prof.

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has withheld the results of 23,819 candidates who sat for the April 4, 2009 Universities Matriculation Examination for involvement in malpractices.

A total of 1,182,381 candidates applied for the examination, but only 1,145,961 actually sat for the examination with 36,417 absent.

While announcing the results of the examination on Tuesday, the Registrar of JAMB, Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, said the results withheld represented 2.07 per cent of the total number of candidates that sat for the examination.

He said there was also a drop in the cases of malpractices when compared with what obtained in 2008 where 2.24 per cent was recorded.

He, however, said, “The examination committee and the Governing Council of the board will meet to take a final decision on the results, but there is no way they will be released because we have clear evidence against the candidates.”

Ojerinde noted that 548,543 candidates of the total number scored 200 marks and above, while 14, 847 scored between 190 and 199. 199 of the total number sat for the examination in countries outside Nigeria, namely: Ghana, Cameroun, South Africa, Republic of Benin and Saudi Arabia.

According to JAMB’s breakdown of applications, Imo and Anambra states had the highest number of applications with 106,375 and 78,803 respectively. Other states in order of their applications were Delta, 77,318; Edo 65,271; Ogun, 58,014 and Osun, 57,404.

The analysis showed that Akwa Ibom and Abia states which occupied the fifth and sixth positions last year were displaced by Ogun and Osun respectively.

Six states, namely, Gombe, Sokoto, Taraba, Kebbi, Zamfara and Yobe in that order, recorded the lowest number of applications in 2009.

According to Ojerinde, Jigawa and the Federal Capital Territory have dropped from the list of lowest six states, while Yobe remains the lowest, just as Sokoto, Taraba and Zamfara still belonged to the league.

The results also showed that the Faculty of Social Sciences still recorded the highest applications by candidates with a figure of 275,208. It had recorded the highest last year.

It was closely followed by Administration, Medicine, Engineering and Sciences, Arts/Humanities, Law, Education, Environment and Pharmacy respectively.

Agriculture recorded the lowest with about 13, 408 applications, the same placement it had in 2008.

On the performance chart, Irene Edem, a 16-year-old from Cross River State was the best performing candidate, with a score of 310. She had applied to read Communications with options at the ABTI-American University of Nigeria.

Igugu Obukohwo Igugu, 23, a male candidate from Delta State came second with a score of 308 and had applied to read Industrial Relations and Personnel Management at the University of Lagos.

Konye Odinde, another female candidate from Delta State, who is 18 years and Raymond Moses-Gombo, a male, 47, from Delta State, also tied with Igugu at 308. Both had applied to study Economics and History respectively at the University of Lagos.

The results also showed that 667,771 males and 514,610 females sat for the 2009 UME, just as 71 visually impaired persons applied for the UME, but only 65 actually sat for the examination.

Ojerinde said the board conducted UME at Ikoyi and Kaduna Prisons for eligible inmates who had indicated interest for the examination and would have completed their jail sentences by the next admission exercise.

He said a total of 46 inmates took the exams. 13 of them were of the Ikoyi Prisons, while other 33 were of Kaduna Prisons.

On the proposed Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, which would replace UME next year, Ojerinde clarified that the board’s matriculation examinations were not scrapped as erroneously reported.

http://news.onlinenigeria.com/templates/?a=1768
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by PHIPEX(m): 2:43pm On Mar 31, 2012
This statistics has been very consistent over the years. To crown it all the surge in this JAMB figure affects the Admission cut-off points for students from these states especially in Federal institutions in the East. I was once puzzled when I discovered that my dept in UNN back then had this kind of cutoff for admission. Anambra 270, Imo 265, Enugu 250, Kogi 230, Benue 237, etc. Which means that it is even easier for someone from other regions to gain admission than a South Easterner in UNN. Its a great development and "I have a dream that a time will come when it will be easier to meet a graduate trader in Alaba and Onitsha main market than an SSCE holder"
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by nanos: 2:54pm On Mar 31, 2012
This is for 2010, I think.

The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board on Friday released the results of 1, 228, 607 out of a total of 1, 276, 795 candidates who sat for the maiden Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination held on April 17 across the country.

Of this number, only 501,463 representing 41 per cent of the candidates scored above 200 out of the maximum 400 points.

Another set of 832,434 representing 68 per cent of this number scored above 180 marks while 330, 971 representing 27 per cent scored between 180 and 199 marks.

The Registrar/Chief Executive of JAMB, Prof. ‘Dibu Ojerinde, who disclosed these at a press briefing in Abuja, explained that a total of 1, 375,652 candidates applied for the 2010 UTME, out of which 271 candidates sat for the examination in six foreign countries.

He said, ”Out of the 1,276,795 candidates that sat for the 2010 UTME, the results of 1,228,607 representing 96.26 per cent are today released, while results of 48, 188 (3.77 per cent) are still being screened before release or otherwise.

”Detailed analysis of application by gender shows that 769,416 candidates are male while 606,236 candidates are female. These figures show that 44.07 per cent are female while 55.93 per cent are male.”

Imo State led the six states with the highest number of candidates with a total of 111,613 representing 8.11 per cent, closely followed by Delta State with 86,955 representing 6.32 per cent.

The Federal Capital Territory led the bottom six with a total of 2,393 applications, representing 0.17 per cent of the total number. It was closely followed by Zamfara State with 3,568, representing 0.26 per cent.

As has been the tradition over the years, candidates who are seeking university admission led the pack, followed closely by those seeking admission into colleges of education.

Bayelsa State came tops on the list of states where examination malpractices were recorded. It had a total of 5,442 cases, followed by Rivers State with 3, 302 cases. Lagos State came third with 2,847 cases.

The JAMB registrar revealed that 46 examination centres across 10 states had been de-recognised as a result of their ”unacceptable behaviours during the examination.”

Rivers State led the pack with 12 centres, followed by Imo and Lagos states with seven centres each.

Ojerinde said 20,780 results, representing 1.63 per cent of the total number of those who sat for the examination, were being withheld for further verification and thorough screening before release.

He explained that it was too early to make public the name of the highest scorer in the examination because some of the results were still being screened.

He also frowned at the practice of some universities who charged candidates up to N10, 000 for making such universities their second choice. Ojerinde said this practice must stop or else sanctions would be applied.

He enjoined candidates to go online, using their application slips to log on to the JAMB website to check their results.

https://www.nairaland.com/432613/jamb-utme-result/3
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by sigba(f): 2:54pm On Mar 31, 2012
I think Rochas juicy promises to Imo state indigenes schooling in the state affected the number of people that enrolled into IMSU.
Re: JAMB University Enrolment Figures Are Shocking? by nanos: 2:55pm On Mar 31, 2012
PHIPEX: This statistics has been very consistent over the years. To crown it all the surge in this JAMB figure affects the Admission cut-off points for students from these states especially in Federal institutions in the East. I was once puzzled when I discovered that my dept in UNN back then had this kind of cutoff for admission. Anambra 270, Imo 265, Enugu 250, Kogi 230, Benue 237, etc. Which means that it is even easier for someone from other regions to gain admission than a South Easterner in UNN. Its a great development and "I have a dream that a time will come when it will be easier to meet a graduate trader in Alaba and Onitsha main market than an SSCE holder"

I know a number of traders who are graduates in Alaba and Ariaria markets. They go into buying and selling for lack of corporate jobs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System / Nigerian Students Sue Alabama College For Treating Them ‘like Animals’ / FG Approves Four New Private Universities In Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.