Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,158 members, 7,957,318 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 11:02 AM

Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder (11918 Views)

Yoruba Is The Most Popular African Language - Jimmy Wales / Jimmy Wales Wiki co-founder : 'Broadband Speed In Nigeria,Beats NY City' / Nairaland Is Now On Wikipedia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 1:23pm On Apr 01, 2012
babaowo: i attended.

Nice one, sad I could not attend. I hope to make it to the next summit.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by musiwa46: 1:43pm On Apr 01, 2012
Jimmy Wales , know me. i use to argue with him on the internet many year ago. you can ask since he is in nigeria. i wrote most of the initial detail on nigeria issue , history , people etc on wiki.. alot of them where my works..

one of the arguement i had with Jimmy Wales was on nigeria population and the fact, it was wrong many years ago. and he then ask me to disproving the figure. this why I have taken deep interest in the satellite pictures when NASA allowed google, microsoft and other IT companies to use it on the internet. Jimmy Wales was the reason I started disproving the nigeria census figure, using satellite pictures of Nigeria.

Since you people claim he came to nigeria. you can ask him. millions of people around the world knows my name. I am like an internet star.

I started doing research on developing the internet after I finished school over here. I design some internet based program even before popular website did.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by collozzuz: 1:49pm On Apr 01, 2012
Yoruba...Tiwa n tiwa...We also av d best culture in africa...
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by mayorxxxy(m): 2:16pm On Apr 01, 2012
This is not the time to be sentimental about tribal languages. It is for the glory of Nigeria, however If you want to continue behaving like fools you can continue. Afterall today is your day.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by aryzgreat: 2:17pm On Apr 01, 2012
yes! yes!! they also have the biggest mouth in the world!! - wikipedia
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 2:19pm On Apr 01, 2012
I wonder how people think?
So because someone said the yoruba language is widely spoken, another one is shouting we are the best.
The truth is, an average yoruba man does not want to learn and speak another language. They have the mentality that people must learn theirs but they don't want to learn other peoples own.
Sometimes I hear people telling me, so u are yet to learn the language after 3months in yoruba land, and I tell them there are better things for me to learn than bug myself with anybodys language.
I have been with other ethnicity and I am yet to see the crave for people to speak their languages so bad.
I had a discussion with a friend in camp.

Me: am not interested in learning yoruba
Friend: you will have to
Me: why?
Friend: that's the purpose of Nysc
Me:really, then what re u doing here?
Friend: shut up there, u just have to learn it.
Me: try forcing me then, why can't u speak English, which is the official language,
Friend: cos it is my language.
Me: why did u work ur posting to ogun state, if u think its good to learn another mans language
Friend: *cant answer, just smiling and murmuring gibberish*

This was a guy who is from ogun state, schooled in ogun state, and is serving in ogun state, trying to lecture me on the purpose of Nysc just because I refused to learn yoruba.
My problem has never been with the language, but rather with the people and their very tribalistic nature, its practically ingrained into them.
now see these ones trying to interpret a simple statistical data as meaning they are the best, if I may ask BEST IN WHAT?
Please yoruba is ür dialect other people have theirs, or is it a sin to be from another tribe.
wether yoruba is widely spoken or not, it still does not make them the best at anything.
N.B: your culture is the best my arsse...
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by SamIkenna: 2:22pm On Apr 01, 2012
speedyboi:
U jst spoke it urself!!! tongue. Meanwhile, I dnt knw common gudday in Igbo..nd I dnt evn want to....I prefer hausa, its attracts me wen I see pple conversing in hausa....bt igbo puts pple off incase u dnt knw...dats d main reason u av very low amount of speakers in d world..evn Nigeria.

My dear if you dont know Igbo thats your loss just as its my loss if I dont know Hausa, Ijaw, Isoko, etc. Igbo gains little by having you speak Igbo but you, my dear, gain much by speaking it. In a harsh environment like ours you dont know what could save you in times of uncertainty. Right now I'm learning French, Am I going to use it? who knows.

Everything must not be competition. If Yoruba language is making waves in Wiki then its because Yoruba people all over the world do some of their stuff in their language and it should be commended by all. English has 4 million pages but German doesnt have that much yet they are one happy EU.

Time to move on and compete on big stuff like - who's going to be the first in Africa to go to the moon? Who will produce the first 20 set of Nobel prize winners in Chem, Phy, Bio, etc? Who will be the first to eradicate poverty in Africa? Which group in Africa will be the group that'll build that massive hydro elec generating plant in river Congo? A river that has so much potential energy to generate 40% of Africa's power needs - power that'll be crucial in production of fertilizer for poor African farmers and irrigation of dry and dusty farmlands that are been lost to Sahara desert rapid encroachment. Bro thats where I want us to compete ok.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by aljharem(m): 2:30pm On Apr 01, 2012
Kingsleyinfo: I wonder how people think?
So because someone said the yoruba language is widely spoken, another one is shouting we are the best.
The truth is, an average yoruba man does not want to learn and speak another language. They have the mentality that people must learn theirs but they don't want to learn other peoples own.
Sometimes I hear people telling me, so u are yet to learn the language after 3months in yoruba land, and I tell them there are better things for me to learn than bug myself with anybodys language.
I have been with other ethnicity and I am yet to see the crave for people to speak their languages so bad.

Me: try forcing me then, why can't u speak English, which is the official language,
Me: why did u work ur posting to ogun state, if u think its good to learn another mans language

This was a guy who is from ogun state, schooled in ogun state, and is serving in ogun state, trying to lecture me on the purpose of Nysc just because I refused to learn yoruba.
My problem has never been with the language, but rather with the people and their very tribalistic nature, its practically ingrained into them.
now see these ones trying to interpret a simple statistical data as meaning they are the best, if I may ask BEST IN WHAT?
Please yoruba is ür dialect other people have theirs, or is it a sin to be from another tribe.
wether yoruba is widely spoken or not, it still does not make them the best at anything.

You see my friend, all I see you just as many Igbos on this thread exhibiting envy.

Now I am a yoruba man and I have learnt almost all the Nigerian languages and their individual dialects to even a group as small of just 10,000 people.

I have also travelled to various parts of the country. Now I am telling this to show you that I am not ignorant at all.

I ask, why should you question people from learning your langauge. It is daf.t really !!!

If You traval to france, do you not learn french ?

If you travel to England, do you not learn English ? What makes Yoruba or hausa or Igbo any different ?

I travelled to Anambra once, and I learn Igbo

I travelled to port harcourt and learn Ijaw etc so why is your own any different. Also I am sure NO YORUBA MAN WOULD FORCE YOU TO LEARN HIS LANGAUGE, it is completely you choice. Just as you cannot force a horse to drink water, I am sure you were never forced !!!!!!

You went to Ogun and you are proud to be saying English is the offical langauge like a mor.on. Have you learn the langauge in your enivornment first ? If you get lost, would english langauge or the langauge in your enivornment save your life ?

Your case just as so many Igbos on this thread is PURE INFERIORITY COMPLEX and envy.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by aljharem(m): 2:43pm On Apr 01, 2012
[size=13pt]What is hell is wrong with Yoruba being the most popular African Language ?

People shout Hausa but Hausa starts and stop in Africa

People shout Swahili but that starts and stops in Southern Africa

Yoruba language does not start and stop in west africa, How many times are we going to say this !!!!

Some ideeiots are even talking of Igbo but Unlike Igbos, yorubas don't make noise about being widely travelled neither are they in any competition with anyone. So with is the problem here ?

Tomorrow if Jimmy Wales says Ijaw or something else, We should all congratulate them and move on not trying to paint a bad picture of them because you feel they are better than you.

I mean what is wrong with Nigerians !!!!! Are we that daf.t and envious at each other over petty silly issues like Language ? Which should be be something we all are meant to laugh about and move on ?

How does this change the price of garri in the market ?

Abegi people really really need to stop this silly annoying behaviour.

[/size]
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by ektbear: 2:44pm On Apr 01, 2012
Haha the guy sounds like my cousin.

My cousin grew up all his life in Lagos, can barely speak the language better than I can.

It surprised the heck out of me at first. I guess it is "cool" among a certain set to only be seen speaking English.

The TV at their house was typically tuned to MTV-E (MTV Europe iirc)...he seemed to know a lot more about what was going in European football leagues than in his country of birth and residence.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Uche2005: 2:48pm On Apr 01, 2012
musiwa do you know ThisGlobee.com market value is worth how much
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Theblessed(f): 3:07pm On Apr 01, 2012
[size=16pt][b]Who is this one? And where are you getting your information from? Wikepedie, eh?

Next time, research well before coming here to bias minds.

Let just forget about migration of people out of their own zones and focus within Africa alone, as this post suggests.

If Yoruba language is the most popular African Language, I wonder what Swahili language is doing on African soil.

Swahili is widely spoken by almost everyone in East Africa and Southern and a little towards Central Africa - ok??

If Yoruba language is most popular, has anyway considered perhaps, it could be because of migration - people emigrated in the past and are still emigrating to other parts of the world, far more than other African tribes, eh?

Also, slavery may have contributed to the number hence, your Wikipedie statistics!

Further, unlike West Africans, East and Southern Africans are not usually known for their migrating prowess/habits - they are usually, HOME BUDDIES! It hasn't been that long when many of them started coming out - mostly, late 70's, 80's and early 1990's till date. So, you can see, they are not averse in travelling thus, their language remained contained mainly, within their own area/environment.

Now, lets talk more about the Daddy of all travellers with wheels on its feet - NIGERIANS my own people. When it comes to what I consider wanderers and their normadic lifestyle - we Nigerians are CHAMPIONS OF AFRICAN in that departmet. In fact, we are the Indian of African.

Indians are everywhere in the Globe check it - even in the North Pole and I'm sure a Nigerian would be there too -check it out!!!So, next time, get your facts right when you go looking for sources such as Wikipedie to authenticate your story and make it look credible.[/b][/size]
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 3:08pm On Apr 01, 2012
It's always of great benefit to learn the language of wherever one finds himself. The Igbo dude up there would have benefited if he learnt even the basic Yoruba. I served in Ogun state, I remember it was compulsory then that we sing the Ogun anthem every morning on the parade ground. I am not from Ogun but I remember that I always sing that song with pride. Learning and singing that song actually got me several discount when I buy food stuff from natives. When I price stuff at the ijebu market and I feel the price is on the high side, I just start singing iseya omo ogun iseya, the market women start laughing and Pronto, I get massive discounts.

My friends also served in Zamfara, he went out of his way to learn basic Hausa by buying an English to Hausa translation book. Because of that, he gets discounts in market as well, a lot of his fellow corp members even beg him to follow them to the market cos of the basic hausa.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by noiseless: 3:14pm On Apr 01, 2012
Is this an opportunity of a long cravings to disaplay yet your uneccesary long rub@sh? I wont be surprised if you end your sad and snake life with OTAPIAPIA soon. By the way when did you stop being a kanuri and hausa man, you can't stand the unpopularity of boko haram shame anymore? Now you are moving goal post. CHEII!
alj harem:

You see my friend, all I see you just as many Igbos on this thread exhibiting envy.

Now I am a yoruba man and I have learnt almost all the Nigerian languages and their individual dialects to even a group as small of just 10,000 people.

I have also travelled to various parts of the country. Now I am telling this to show you that I am not ignorant at all.

I ask, why should you question people from learning your langauge. It is daf.t really !!!

If you travel to England, do you not learn English ? What makes Yoruba or hausa or Igbo any different ?

I travelled to port harcourt and learn Ijaw etc so why is your own any different. Also I am sure NO YORUBA MAN WOULD FORCE YOU TO LEARN HIS LANGAUGE, it is completely you choice. Just as you cannot force a horse to drink water, I am sure you were never forced !!!!!!

You went to Ogun and you are proud to be saying English is the offical langauge like a mor.on. Have you learn the langauge in your enivornment first ? If you get lost, would english langauge or the langauge in your enivornment save your life ?

Your case just as so many Igbos on this thread is PURE INFERIORITY COMPLEX and envy.

Is this an opportunity of a long cravings to disaplay yet your uneccesary long rub@sh? I wont be surprised if you end your sad and snake life with OTAPIAPIA soon. By the way when did you stop being a kanuri and hausa man, you can't stand the unpopularity of boko haram shame anymore? Now you are moving goal post. CHEII!
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 3:16pm On Apr 01, 2012
Theblessed: [size=16pt]Who is this one? And where are you getting your information from? Wikepedie, eh?

Next time, research well before bias minds.

If Yoruba language is the most popular African Language, I wonder what Swahili language is doing on African soil.

Swahili is spoken by almost everyone in East Africa and Southern a a little towards Central Africa - ok??

So, next time, get your facts right when you go looking for sources such as Wikipedie to authenticate your story in order to make it credible.
[/size]

hehehe, don't get it twisted. No one quoting from wiki, it was wiki founder that confirmed the info himself when last he was in Lagos.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Vergil: 3:17pm On Apr 01, 2012
Kingsleyinfo: I wonder how people think?

Aww...what can I say to you but smh. I've happened to be present when people like you talk to some yoruba people, right next to me. Just saying almost the same thing you are saying. What's bad in learning the language? Sheeez! Come to my area in Okota-Isolo. A lot of Igbos there, and you'd see A LOT of yorubas actually trying to be friendly with them Igbo guys/girls by speaking the language..ke kwanu, ewerem milo etc.
Guy, you should change the way you think maan!
Funny thing is, SOME of these Igbos get worked up, when people speak to them in Yoruba. Thinking they understand it, mistakenly. And they'd respond in a funny rude manner, "don't speak that to me". And I laugh, smh. It shouldn't be so.
Let's change the whole attitude about it man!

About the NYSC thing. While to "work" the posting is kinda going against the NYSC idea. Point is, you found yourself in Ogun. Mix and Join in. I'm so sure he would have, if he found himself in your area...#just saying. I would anyway.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 3:24pm On Apr 01, 2012
Really,people should not be forced to speak another language.But there'r some languages(lingua franca)that are actually good for one to learn for security purposes.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by SamIkenna: 3:26pm On Apr 01, 2012
alj harem:

Your case just as so many Igbos on this thread is [b]PURE INFERIORITY COMPLEX and envy.[/b]

While on many occasions you've shown yourself to be a genuinely nice guy thats balanced sometimes, you have also exhibited a terrifying obsession with Igbo. Its like Igbo is always lurking in the alley waiting to attack anything good in Yorubaland (I'm not even sure you're Yoruba). If any body says anything contrary to the opinion of Yorubas - Oh! it must be Igbo. Man that kind of stinks! I'm Igbo, do you think I spend my nights worrying about Yoruba? You honestly believe that? The first 2 Nigerians I worked with when I newly came here are Yorubas and we both knew each other's secrets and we're cool so what makes you think we're seeking to destroy Yoruba or we feel inferior to any human is beyond me.

Go bact to Nigerian History right from the arrival of the Brits, does anything show we feel inferior in our culture? In fact you need to read what the brits said about Igbo. If anything its the opposite. Brits hated us because we will never succumb to their whimps. Do you know most of my ancestors got themselves drowned in American rivers rather than serve another man? Go read the slave history and tell me who the slave masters sold higher than others.

If you must know, Igboman's will is cast in iron, but if you keep fooling yourself with this inferiority complex bull then you will wake up one day to realize how much you lied to yourself. This message is almost like the message I sent ndu_chuks on his consistent victory speech "we won the war, we won the war" but from the looks of things in Nigeria it doesnt look like he won anything.

alj Harem, you do need to throw away this "Igbo is envious, Igbo feels inferior" because we dont. We're a people that threw away Kings and queens because we dont like taking orders from no man - our history is your guide. If you dig deeper in our history you will find that our culture makes us competitive even amongst each other - you need me to remind you why the Brits shipped Jaja of Opobo away? Guess what- its because he out-competed the brits and they would never have any of it hence they got rid of him. So, if you ever think we're jealous of any man think again. There's a huge difference between trying to win and being jealous, we're success driven to no end, it doesnt matter if we start late or early we believe we can make it- sometimes we do sometimes we dont but thats Igbo for you.

I respect every race in Nigeria but I dont get jealous of them one bit. I wont even swap places with them even in 1970 when they "won" their war. So, bro this is Naija where every one is highly opinionated. Thinking someone some where is jealous of you or envious of you is bull. No body in Nigeria will swap places with anyone - the earlier you realize that the better.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 3:47pm On Apr 01, 2012
Anyway,i prefer English as a language,cos it's universal.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Uche2005: 3:52pm On Apr 01, 2012
Musiwa do you know the less than 3 year old ThisGlobee.com remove one e. What happen to NigeriaONe.com which was shut down less than 3 year ago to start ThisGlobee.com . To avoid any legal ownership with anyone.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by akigbemaru: 3:55pm On Apr 01, 2012
This is no Apri fool. It's on VOANEWS VOICE OF AMERICA.
I am not surprised by this remark.
2010, oyinbo came from europe just to carry Ife and Benin terra cotta and sculptures on tour. She said Ife sculpture represents the originality of sculpture ever stunned the europians about the depth of African art.

Little time, the YouTube Founders: Steve Chen, Chad Hurley, Jawed Karim. Because, the videos on youtube just about Yoruba religion, rites and dance are too overwhelming on Youtube. I am talking about more than 20, 0000, 0000 videos and still counting. Right now, as we are speaking, videos are being uploads in every second, be in Nigeria or Cuba, Mexico, west indies, Haiti, Brazil, Uroguay, Peurto rico, Venezuala e.t.c Or Bein USA --Oyotunji the only African village in USA that has its king and governs itself.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by blackboi(m): 3:58pm On Apr 01, 2012
Jawn:
Yoruba !!! E yee tan ra yin. Clueless and hopless poeple
somebody once said, & i'll quote "only fruitful tree get stoned"
what u hate, u gradually become. Its obvious u spk the language very well, jst pretty soon u'll turn an Ifa Priest if u don't quit hating my Yoruba cheesy
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by lagcity(m): 4:04pm On Apr 01, 2012
Yeah, whatever. Wikipedia is just envious of a certain industrious ethnic group in southern Nigeriagrin. wikipedia should go and eat shit.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Theblessed(f): 4:05pm On Apr 01, 2012
saxywale: hehehe, don't get it twisted. No one quoting from wiki, it was wiki founder that confirmed the info himself when last he was in Lagos.

[size=16pt] Well, as you can see in this case, he failed to do his homework and did not consult his History Book properly before opening up his gab therefore, irrespective of who he is and what he stand for - we take his confirmation this time, at face value - worthless![/size]
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by aljharem(m): 4:30pm On Apr 01, 2012
Sam_Ikenna:

While on many occasions you've shown yourself to be a genuinely nice guy thats balanced sometimes, you have also exhibited a terrifying obsession with Igbo. Its like Igbo is always lurking in the alley waiting to attack anything good in Yorubaland (I'm not even sure you're Yoruba). If any body says anything contrary to the opinion of Yorubas - Oh! it must be Igbo. Man that kind of stinks! I'm Igbo, do you think I spend my nights worrying about Yoruba? You honestly believe that? The first 2 Nigerians I worked with when I newly came here are Yorubas and we both knew each other's secrets and we're cool so what makes you think we're seeking to destroy Yoruba or we feel inferior to any human is beyond me.

Go bact to Nigerian History right from the arrival of the Brits, does anything show we feel inferior in our culture? In fact you need to read what the brits said about Igbo. If anything its the opposite. Brits hated us because we will never succumb to their whimps. Do you know most of my ancestors got themselves drowned in American rivers rather than serve another man? Go read the slave history and tell me who the slave masters sold higher than others.

If you must know, Igboman's will is cast in iron, but if you keep fooling yourself with this inferiority complex bull then you will wake up one day to realize how much you lied to yourself. This message is almost like the message I sent ndu_chuks on his consistent victory speech "we won the war, we won the war" but from the looks of things in Nigeria it doesnt look like he won anything.

alj Harem, you do need to throw away this "Igbo is envious, Igbo feels inferior" because we dont. We're a people that threw away Kings and queens because we dont like taking orders from no man - our history is your guide. If you dig deeper in our history you will find that our culture makes us competitive even amongst each other - you need me to remind you why the Brits shipped Jaja of Opobo away? Guess what- its because he out-competed the brits and they would never have any of it hence they got rid of him. So, if you ever think we're jealous of any man think again. There's a huge difference between trying to win and being jealous, we're success driven to no end, it doesnt matter if we start late or early we believe we can make it- sometimes we do sometimes we dont but thats Igbo for you.

I respect every race in Nigeria but I dont get jealous of them one bit. I wont even swap places with them even in 1970 when they "won" their war. So, bro this is Naija where every one is highly opinionated. Thinking someone some where is jealous of you or envious of you is bull. No body in Nigeria will swap places with anyone - the earlier you realize that the better.

I am sorry Nwannem, what do you want me to think ? when most onye Igbo dere ajo ife ndi yoruba.

a haram i di mma, a haram na m agaghi alu ogu. but ndigbo nairaland are not making it easy.

Again I expect a topic like this to be laughed at and people should move on, What I hate is trying to undermine the yorubas. It is annoying, I believe yorubas don't do the same so I do not expect Nairaland Igbos to do that !!!

Trying to paint them bad just because a foreign said something about their language makes us look like ideeiots because it is too petty to be an issue of rivalry between yoruba and igbo.

Mazi Sam, just because you are a sane Igbo on nairaland does not mean others are not mad.

ihe nile e zughi oke ndi yoruba na ndi igbo but.

As for me and my YORUBA Brothers would say

ndu ebighi ebi. meaning life is endless
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by aljharem(m): 4:34pm On Apr 01, 2012
Theblessed:

Well, as you can see in this case, he failed to do his homework and did not consult his History Book properly before opening up his gab therefore, irrespective of who he is and what he stand for - we take his confirmation this time, at face value - worthless!

can you shut up already, how can one man opinion be an object of argument that is driving you mad ?

a nwere afo osisa gi ?
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by AndreUweh(m): 4:43pm On Apr 01, 2012
@Alh Harem, I can't believe that you travelled to Port Harcourt to learn Ijaw, in a City where Igbo is more spoken than Ijaw. It is like saying you travelled to Ilorin to learn Nupe while Yoruba is more widely spoken in Ilorin.
Na wa.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by aljharem(m): 4:47pm On Apr 01, 2012
Andre Uweh: @Alh Harem, I can't believe that you travelled to Port Harcourt to learn Ijaw, in a City where Igbo is more spoken than Ijaw. It is like saying you travelled to Ilorin to learn Nupe while Yoruba is more widely spoken in Ilorin.
Na wa.

I added ETC, it was not only Ijaw I learn in port harcourt, Yes Igbo and even Ogoni (Khana etc).

I was using that as an example.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by ebecode(m): 5:22pm On Apr 01, 2012
Why are some ppl complainig dat Yorubas want oda ppl to speak their language self? I remember when i was doing my NYSC in AKWA ''ABASI'' IBOM STATE.One fateful night lyk dat,i was in d dark waitin for my girl BOKIME,all of a sudden an old man appeared with one shining big cutlass & stated shouting ''ATU UKE''.If not 4 my little knowledge of IBIBIO language which i took a grt personal pain 2 lean,only God knows what wld av happened.If happen to travel to IMO STATE 2mao,i wil gladly lean IGBO.So if u want 2 live in oda ppl territory & u don't wanna lean their lang. Then b ready 4 all d dangers dat comes wit it.GOD BLESS NAIRALANDERS!

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by aljharem(m): 5:41pm On Apr 01, 2012
ebecode: Why are some ppl complainig dat Yorubas want oda ppl to speak their language self? I remember when i was doing my NYSC in AKWA ''ABASI'' IBOM STATE.One fateful night lyk dat,i was in d dark waitin for my girl BOKIME,all of a sudden an old man appeared with one shining big cutlass & stated shouting ''ATU UKE''.If not 4 my little knowledge of IBIBIO language which i took a grt personal pain 2 lean,only God knows what wld av happened.If happen to travel to IMO STATE 2mao,i wil gladly lean IGBO.So if u want 2 live in oda ppl territory & u don't wanna lean their lang. Then b ready 4 all d dangers dat comes wit it.GOD BLESS NAIRALANDERS!

Thank you !!!

you know people can be a bit too sentimental that they start acting stu.pid at times.

I imgine myself going to Ogun and not learning yoruba, then one night Oro comes, would I not be an easy target to be killed ?

One thing I make sure is when I go to any new environment, I try my very better to mix up, learn the language and costumes of the people, lastly, say out of trouble.

It seems like others don't think like that. Some Nigerians are reta.rds

1 Like

Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by olyg: 6:00pm On Apr 01, 2012
OH I AM VERY PROUD TO BE A YORUBA CITIZEN.YORUBA THE MOST CIVILIZED AND EDUCATED TRIBE IN NIGERIA AND AMONG THE BEST IN THE WORLD.
Re: Yoruba The Most Popular African Language On Wikipedia - Jimmy Wales Co-Founder by Nobody: 6:11pm On Apr 01, 2012
@Post

Duh!

I've met too many non-Yorubas who speak Yoruba.

I can't even insult ppl with Yoruba again. I've been caught too many times. sHOIT IS ANNOYING, i WANT MY PRIVACY BACK!!! angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why So Low CPC For Nigeria On Adsense Reports? / Nigeria's First Email Service Naij.com / Fact File: See How The Seven Keys Of The Internet Work - Naijatechguy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.