Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,810 members, 7,810,115 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy (10640 Views)

GMB Must Learn The Act Of Meritocracy From Gov.dave Umahi Of Ebonyi State. / Instituting A Culture Of Meritocracy By Ijeoma Nwogwugwu / Lagos Donates N4.5m To Ngozi Nwosu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by jpphilips(m): 5:56am On Apr 03, 2012
it is an irony for someone except for a disgruntled poster to associate NOI with competence.
lemme start with her so called accomplishments at home:
NOI paid 12bn usd to clear the Nations debt, sounds impressive but s!lly,
how did we get into the debt mess in the first place? state governors were culpable for over 60‰ of the loans.
these loans under NOI's watch were apparently siphoned by the govts of the day without a single infastructure on ground.
she was in a position to advise the president to go after govs like ibori,alamaesigha, peter odili etc. and recover the funds needed for the debt relief project.
i need not remind you that ibori's loot alone could pay off that debt yet she advised the FG to pay from its purse with a meagre contribution from state govs who were the most culpable.
i need not remind you also that as a sitting minister of finance at the time, she is a signatory to state allocation cheque disbursements which she could leaverage to make the Govs pay more.
juxtapose the economic challenges bedeveviling the country @ the time with d debt relief, it only begs the question: was the debt relief in whose interest exactly?
lemme guess, to be in d good books of world bank, from MD to a presidential nominee is no coincidence.
she is sitting today on that same sit and she believes its justified sending a plethora of Nigerians to facilitate between exorbitant enthusiasm,irrational instability and caligraphy of agony because she believes 'molue' runs on diesel, while a microscopic few like Andy uba lived in pleasant luxury and complacent solicitium as a mere presidential houseboy.
that error in judgement has relegated an oil rich nation to face her biggest enegy crisis and inflation in its history.
NOI failed to advise the president to seek local production capacity to boost local refining yet she is touted as a strategic economist, what an irony.
when the OP mentioned PHD, i nearly chuckled to death, we have a PHD HOLDER IN THE PERSON OF GEJ WHO HAS PROVED INCOMPETENCE BEYOND EVERY REASONABLE DOUBT.

My dear, PHD is on Paper while the economy is a reality.

Does the OP think that Obama is as s!lly as he is for his inability to read the handwritting on the wall and face reality squarely?
NOI promised Nigerians a govt expenditure cut, has it happened? NO, she promised palliatives geared @ alleviating the sufferings of the common man, where are they? and the OP thinks that the intl community will take a goon whose words mean nothing seriously?
@ least Compo has a pedigree of economic achievements in his country, what has NOI done for the Nigerian economy? paper work? oh!! please.
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by bomega4u(m): 6:15am On Apr 03, 2012
ekt_bear: How can the guy buying french fries from my burger joint tell me the owner who to appoint?

You are the customer. I am the salesman and owner.

You are only a "shareholder" in my business in that you buy what I sell.

You don't get to dictate who runs the bank unless you put money into it. End of story.
CONFIRMED!
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by Hopcy(m): 7:10am On Apr 03, 2012
[quote author=ekt_bear]As much as I generally tend to agree with the Economist's arguments, in this case I don't.

Cronyism arguments sort of assume that Person A is appointing Person B for reasons other than pure merit to manage collective property.

But again, the WB is not collective property...it is largely bankrolled by the Western world. So I don't think anyone should be too offended if they appoint whom they see fit to manage it. After all, it isn't your own money being used, is it?

You may be more qualified than my cousin to manage my business, but surely if it is my property I can choose whoever I like w/o answering to anyone.

Finally, regarding qualifications, sure, Kim is not a PhD level economist. But then again, neither was Wolfowitz and at least a few of the past WB presidents. I don't think anyone is arguing that Kim is completely and utterly unqualified for the job, are they? The man is nt an Economist, so he is nt qualify 4 d post.
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by jumobi1(m): 7:29am On Apr 03, 2012
jp philips: it is an irony for someone except for a disgruntled poster to associate NOI with competence.
lemme start with her so called accomplishments at home:
NOI paid 12bn usd to clear the Nations debt, sounds impressive but s!lly,
how did we get into the debt mess in the first place? state governors were culpable for over 60‰ of the loans.
these loans under NOI's watch were apparently siphoned by the govts of the day without a single infastructure on ground.
she was in a position to advise the president to go after govs like ibori,alamaesigha, peter odili etc. and recover the funds needed for the debt relief project.
i need not remind you that ibori's loot alone could pay off that debt yet she advised the FG to pay from its purse with a meagre contribution from state govs who were the most culpable.
i need not remind you also that as a sitting minister of finance at the time, she is a signatory to state allocation cheque disbursements which she could leaverage to make the Govs pay more.
juxtapose the economic challenges bedeveviling the country @ the time with d debt relief, it only begs the question: was the debt relief in whose interest exactly?
lemme guess, to be in d good books of world bank, from MD to a presidential nominee is no coincidence.
she is sitting today on that same sit and she believes its justified sending a plethora of Nigerians to facilitate between exorbitant enthusiasm,irrational instability and caligraphy of agony because she believes 'molue' runs on diesel, while a microscopic few like Andy uba lived in pleasant luxury and complacent solicitium as a mere presidential houseboy.
that error in judgement has relegated an oil rich nation to face her biggest enegy crisis and inflation in its history.
NOI failed to advise the president to seek local production capacity to boost local refining yet she is touted as a strategic economist, what an irony.
when the OP mentioned PHD, i nearly chuckled to death, we have a PHD HOLDER IN THE PERSON OF GEJ WHO HAS PROVED INCOMPETENCE BEYOND EVERY REASONABLE DOUBT.

My dear, PHD is on Paper while the economy is a reality.

Does the OP think that Obama is as s!lly as he is for his inability to read the handwritting on the wall and face reality squarely?
NOI promised Nigerians a govt expenditure cut, has it happened? NO, she promised palliatives geared @ alleviating the sufferings of the common man, where are they? and the OP thinks that the intl community will take a goon whose words mean nothing seriously?
@ least Compo has a pedigree of economic achievements in his country, what has NOI done for the Nigerian economy? paper work? oh!! please.

You just don't like the woman....Advice the president to go after who? A president that needs to be gone after? Be realistic please. If she advised, you won't know and it will fall on deaf ears. She wasn't a big dog at the WB without reason
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by TruBrotha: 7:45am On Apr 03, 2012
The Last time plenty NIgerians rallied around one person we got an Invalid for a president. Now you people have started again ngozi this, ngozi that. WorldBank my foot.
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by mayorxxxy(m): 7:46am On Apr 03, 2012
Make she go hug powerline abeg. Okonjo ko Okokomaiko ni.
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by ignis: 8:06am On Apr 03, 2012
alj harem: stranger!!!
Duh! Who is a stranger Must u comment?
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by Nobody: 9:03am On Apr 03, 2012
I have watched Nigeria's madness in silence, to think NOI could bring herself to this level of ridicule is just surprising. America controls the world bank while europe controls the IMF, so where is this dream coming from?

Here is the trend since the world bank was created.

Name Dates Nationality Background
Eugene Meyer 1946–1946 United States Newspaper publisher
John J. McCloy 1947–1949 United States Lawyer and US Assistant Secretary of War
Eugene R. Black, Sr. 1949–1963 United States Bank executive with Chase and executive director with the World Bank
George Woods 1963–1968 United States Bank executive with First Boston Corporation
Robert McNamara 1968–1981 United States US Defense Secretary, business executive with Ford Motor Company
Alden W. Clausen 1981–1986 United States Lawyer, bank executive with Bank of America
Barber Conable 1986–1991 United States New York State Senator and US Congressman
Lewis T. Preston 1991–1995 United States Bank executive with J.P. Morgan
Sir James Wolfensohn 1995–2005 United States
Australia[note 1] Corporate lawyer and banker
Paul Wolfowitz 2005–2007 United States Various cabinet and government positions; US Ambassador to Indonesia, US Deputy Secretary of Defense
Robert B. Zoellick 2007–present United States Bank executive with Goldman Sachs, Deputy Secretary of State and US Trade Representative
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by canuck(m): 9:37am On Apr 03, 2012
Ngozi did her master's (Bretton Woods institutions') bidding in January 2012 by removing Nigeria's fuel subsidy by fiat, in one fell swoop!

Now, she wants to be rewarded for it.

If she gets the WB job, she has already shown you where her allegiance lies - Get over your pride Nigerians. . .There is nothing in it for Nigeria IF Ngozi becomes head of WB.
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by Kx: 10:17am On Apr 03, 2012
What is giving her hope?
Who controls the electorates,Rest of the world or America?

Eventually when she fails in her bid, she will make bold to tell the world
she never applied for the job just like the recent AU presidency saga.
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by nomshu(m): 11:25am On Apr 03, 2012
to me is a thing to proud of that is naija lady that will be there, i solocits all of us to joint hand and pray for this mama to get her final nomination bc from indication all the africa leaders had nominated her. all the best mama!
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by oiseworld: 12:31pm On Apr 03, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Quick Question. What does Nigeria, and the Nigerian people, gain from having a Nigerian as World Bank President? More WB Loans? undecided

she p'ays a fatherly role friend. With a nigeria you can trust at the wb job. The govement get to know the true mind/intent of the west.

She advices; with an eagle eye, she's able to see much more than our leaders can, And give advices and direction.

Her influence bring in foregn investor as stated ealier.

International recognition, Nigerians get more recognition. Guy for the akata's it matters. Goes on and on.
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by emsquare(m): 12:48pm On Apr 03, 2012
ekt_bear: It may be called the world bank, but most of the funds come from the West.

Or is it the impoverished third world countries who beg the WB for funds who you claim also fund it?

As Kilode said, he who pays the piper calls the tune

Well said
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by Demdem(m): 1:48pm On Apr 03, 2012
Farouk lawan : What is the balance in the subsidy accounts?
Diezieni: Its a virtual account
NNPC: There is no account in existence as the lay man will look at it
PPPRA: The account is a technical one
CBN: There is no account with us for subsidy
OKONJO: The account exists but not with a bank angry angry angry

The day she opened up her puff-puff mouth to declare that its not in Nigerian interest to build refineries was the dayshe lost her respect from me.
Good Riddance for Nigeria.
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by Kobojunkie: 2:01pm On Apr 03, 2012
oiseworld:

she p'ays a fatherly role friend. With a nigeria you can trust at the wb job. The govement get to know the true mind/intent of the west.

She advices; with an eagle eye, she's able to see much more than our leaders can, And give advices and direction.

Her influence bring in foregn investor as stated ealier.

International recognition, Nigerians get more recognition. Guy for the akata's it matters. Goes on and on.

She plays a fatherly role? Really? Nigeria has been dealing with the World Bank for decades -- borrowing and embezzling the funds meant for development. But instead of attacking the problem, which many admit to, you want to pretend yet again that knowing the intent of the West is what is needed here? Aren't we tired of this game? Nigeria gets to know the mind/intent of the West? Really?

You are still making claims without substantiating any of it. She is currently our Finance Minister and the recent fuel subsidy probes revealed she does not even watch over own finances with eagle eyes, as you claim. I watched one of the fuel subsidy probe sessions back in January, and that hour more than revealed that she did not have a handle on issues, even after about 5 months as Finance Minister campaigning for the removal.

On your statement that she would have influence on foreign investors, I think you misconstrue the responsibilities of the world Bank. As I tried to tell the other guy, the World Bank is a bank that gives loans for development and helps with technical knowledge. It does not take over the RUNNING OF ANY COUNTRY, so we need to try to understand the role the Bank really plays, as it seems some ascribe to me more power and responsibility than it really has.

Now, I can agree that Nigeria gets some international recognition as the country from which the World Bank President is from. But I did ask here what Nigeria and Nigerians gain?
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by Demdem(m): 2:19pm On Apr 03, 2012
^^^^^^

in addition to the fuel subsidy probe, did u also see how she was simply looking like a Zombie during the pension probe also. A lot of attrocities are really going on under her and someone here is talking of her having an eagle eye. eagle ko, chicken ni. Nonsense.
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by jpphilips(m): 6:04pm On Apr 04, 2012
jumobi1:

You just don't like the woman....Advice the president to go after who? A president that needs to be gone after? Be realistic please. If she advised, you won't know and it will fall on deaf ears. She wasn't a big dog at the WB without reason

you sound like a political halleluya boy.
credible people resign when their advice are not heeded to, only a criminal will retain her post and feed fat on tax payers money without serving the purpose of her appointment.
it is only in wishful thinking beclouded by orgasm!c stup0r can one expect a woman who has underservingly failed his people economically to claim she can turn the world economy around.
if planes were built on ironies then airforce one is a kite.
Re: Hats Off To Ngozi, Show Barack Obama The Meaning Of Meritocracy by ektbear: 6:17pm On Apr 04, 2012
Hehe

Conspiracy theory ko, constipated theory ni

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EndSARS: Lagos To Release 253 People Arrested In Connection To Lagos Protests / I Need Muslim Brothers To Explain This picture To Me / Sanusi To FG: Sack 50% Of Civil Servants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.