Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need (20454 Views)

TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor / Re-must I Pay Tithe To Get To Heaven? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Goshen360(m): 2:49pm On Apr 04, 2012
God2man: Why is there so much arguments about tithe on nairaland? Why? If you search very well, you will discover that this topic is not new, we have argued extensively on this very Topic of helping your brother with your tithe.
Silence is a sign of wisdom, when you begin to show that you know everything, then there is a problem, it shows that you are not ready to listen to other christians explanation on the issue of tight, this is a manifestation of ignorance, a wise man will think deeply on various opposing views.
Anti-tithers should think deeply on the statement made by our LORD JESUS CHRIST on tithe, Mattew 23:23, especially the part of not leaving the other undone.
Now, how do we know the person that is saying the right thing? Do we pray to God for inspiration? What do we do on the issue of tithe? God will help us on nairaland on tithe wahala. God bless you all. God2man.

God2man,

For a while you and I have not engage much in talk on the religious session. I do not claim to lay hold of total knowledge of the word but as much as I have come to know is the fact I spend much time with the word of God asking God to show me more by His Spirit. You see my brother, many things are going on right now and it was prophesied by Christ. What do I mean? Christ prophesied false prophets. And what is it under heaven you think false prophets will offer? False teachings and falsehood of course!

Now le'me come to your own words that "when you begin to show that you know everything, then there is a problem, it shows that you are not ready to listen to other christians explanation on the issue of tithe, this is a manifestation of ignorance, a wise man will think deeply on various opposing views".

I will like you learn the truth yourself here in regards to Matthew 23:23 and I will show you the truth therein, it's left for you to accept it or not.

First, Jesus was speaking to the scribes and Pharisees in Matt 23:23 and before that verse in the same chapter, Jesus already told the multitudes and his disciples (which is being interpreted as we today as disciples of Christ) that they should NOT DO ACCORDING TO THE WORKS (tithe is a works according to the law) of the scribes and Pharisees. Hence, Jesus could not have justify tithing using the hypocrisy of the scribes and Pharisees. Read Matthew 23, the whole chapter and interpreted it in context please. There are couple of woes to the scribes and Pharisees in that chapter, why is it tithe alone that is lifted. Let's divide the word of God right please.

Again, remember Jesus CANNOT DESTROY THE LAW IN HIS DAYS BECAUSE HE WAS BORN INTO THE LAW AND HE HAD TO LIVE THE LAW. At the time Jesus was speaking in Matthew 23:23, the law was still in effect, so that is why the scribes and Pharisees were still practicing the law. Have you ever asked why Christ did not pay tithe or taught tithe or received tithe? That I will offer to you as an assignment if you don't mind.

I am not trying to impose knowledge as this forum is for us to also learn. Am open for you discussion sir.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Goshen360(m): 3:06pm On Apr 04, 2012
ljila:
Hiya,yes i am aware as i read Hebrews 7:4-9 yesterday, so you are VERY WRONG IN SAYING I DON'T KNOW. Don't make conclusions on what you're not certain of ok, admit your limitations.
The scripture in Hebrews doesn't change the fact that Jesus approved tithing by saying "this you ought to have done but not neglecting the others." Whether Abraham's tithes was converted to the Levitical tithes is not the matter, it still stands that tithing preceded the law. There are things that were initiated by men that God adopted and approved. E.g 1 -Tithing was initiated by Abraham as far as biblical records are concerned.
E.g 2 -Anointing with oil: Jacob initiated anointing with oil in the bible in Gen 28:18, and God showed His approval of that in 1 Samuel 16:1,12-13 by commanding Samuel to anoint David as king.

Each according to the measure of faith God has given him. The OP said she'll feel guilty if she doesn't pay the tithe and you're encouraging her to make that decision. Don't make her stumble on what she thinks is right and the choice is still hers by the way. It seems you're trying to enforce your opinions on everyone. Not everyone's gonna agree with you, that's life. If you read my entire post, i gave my view and what i think i'll do in such a scenario, and left the matter there. You may wanna adopt that approach sometimes. God bless you too Goshen360 smiley

Okay, Frist, le'me apoligize that I jumped to conclusion that you didn't know the Abraham tithe was taken to the levitical law. Sorry about that.

Second, you agreed that the account of Hebrews changed the Abraham tithe that was carried to the levitical tithing and you later came back that it doesn't change the fact that Jesus APPROVED TITHING BY SAYING THIS OUGHT TO HAVE DONE AND NOT NEGLECT THE OTHER, Matt 23:23. I have a good news for you as i perceive you have a heart to learn the truth, if only you will follow the truth. Now I give you another assignment to read the whole of Matthew 23 in context. But to help you ma, In verse 23, Jesus was talking to the scribes and Pharisees and DID NOT APPROVE TITHE BUT IT WAS WOE. If you don't think so, then verse 3 of matthew 23 gives you the answer where Jesus SPECIFICALLY TOLD HIS DISCIPLES NOT TO DO ACCORDING TO THE WORKS OF THE SCRIBES AND PHARISEES. v1-3 of matthew 23. This is the reason the Apostles that are disciples of Jesus cannot teach the early christians tithing.

Third, you talked about the anointing oil. I will not jump to conclusion about your knowledge on anointing oil at this time but permit me to "guess". The way Holy Spirit is received in the NT is not when oil is poured on believers. Do you study well again ma. In addition, see my response below:

goshen360:

God2man,

For a while you and I have not engage much in talk on the religious session. I do not claim to lay hold of total knowledge of the word but as much as I have come to know is the fact I spend much time with the word of God asking God to show me more by His Spirit. You see my brother, many things are going on right now and it was prophesied by Christ. What do I mean? Christ prophesied false prophets. And what is it under heaven you think false prophets will offer? False teachings and falsehood of course!

Now le'me come to your own words that "when you begin to show that you know everything, then there is a problem, it shows that you are not ready to listen to other christians explanation on the issue of tithe, this is a manifestation of ignorance, a wise man will think deeply on various opposing views".

I will like you learn the truth yourself here in regards to Matthew 23:23 and I will show you the truth therein, it's left for you to accept it or not.

First, Jesus was speaking to the scribes and Pharisees in Matt 23:23 and before that verse in the same chapter, Jesus already told the multitudes and his disciples (which is being interpreted as we today as disciples of Christ) that they should NOT DO ACCORDING TO THE WORKS (tithe is a works according to the law) of the scribes and Pharisees. Hence, Jesus could not have justify tithing using the hypocrisy of the scribes and Pharisees. Read Matthew 23, the whole chapter and interpreted it in context please. There are couple of woes to the scribes and Pharisees in that chapter, why is it tithe alone that is lifted. Let's divide the word of God right please.

Again, remember Jesus CANNOT DESTROY THE LAW IN HIS DAYS BECAUSE HE WAS BORN INTO THE LAW AND HE HAD TO LIVE THE LAW. At the time Jesus was speaking in Matthew 23:23, the law was still in effect, so that is why the scribes and Pharisees were still practicing the law. Have you ever asked why Christ did not pay tithe or taught tithe or received tithe? That I will offer to you as an assignment if you don't mind.

I am not trying to impose knowledge as this forum is for us to also learn. Am open for you discussion sir.

God bless you ma, Ijila
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Enigma(m): 3:29pm On Apr 04, 2012
God2man: Why is there so much arguments about tithe on nairaland? Why? If you search very well, you will discover that this topic is not new, we have argued extensively on this very Topic of helping your brother with your tithe.
Silence is a sign of wisdom, when you begin to show that you know everything, then there is a problem, it shows that you are not ready to listen to other christians explanation on the issue of tight, this is a manifestation of ignorance, a wise man will think deeply on various opposing views.
Anti-tithers should think deeply on the statement made by our LORD JESUS CHRIST on tithe, Mattew 23:23, especially the part of not leaving the other undone.
Now, how do we know the person that is saying the right thing? Do we pray to God for inspiration? What do we do on the issue of tithe? God will help us on nairaland on tithe wahala. God bless you all. God2man.

OK, let us think about Matthew 23:23 together.

EDITED: Duh, just realised double-post; see now two posts below!

cool
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by PastorKun(m): 3:30pm On Apr 04, 2012
Despite all the overwhelming evidence to establish that tithes is not applicable to christians that has been presented on this fora without any sound arguments against them it beats my imagination how some people still have the audacity to defend what can at best be termed a fraud against christians.

One thing that cannot be argued is that tithe preachers had to twist the scriptures to establish regular tithing from monetary income which is totally different from the obsolete biblical version. Tithing as it is preached today does not conform to the biblical version hence it is a man made doctrine derived from twisting scriptures. Now we all know is a very serious sin against God to twist scriptures or exploit people in his name. Thus it's clear to all that it is tithe preachers that are robbing God's children and not the other way round.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Enigma(m): 3:31pm On Apr 04, 2012

OK, let us think about Matthew 23:23 together.

Here is the Matthew 23:23 from KJV

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

So we start with Jesus raining woe on some people; who are these people?
Answer: the scribes and Pharisees

Why did he rain woe on them?
ANSWER: because they practised "tithing" i.e. they "tithed" mint, anise, cummin but neglected the more important matters of the law like justice mercy, kindness and faithfulness.

So we see Jesus raining woe on people who practised tithing for paying "tithes" --- while neglecting important matters.

What kind of thing did the people tithe, was it money? Noooooooooooooooo! They tithed mint, anise & cummin. To use a crude reference, they tithed okra, spinach, coriander.

OK Jesus said "these ye ought have done" without neglecting the others. What does this mean? It means the people should have tithed their mint, anise, cummin (okra, spinach, coriander) without neglecting the more important matters of the law!

So Jesus was speaking to people under the law about their law. This same law is Jewish law not Christian law!

Do we see Jesus asking anyone to tithe money? Do you see Jesus asking anyone to tithe to Him (Jesus)? Of course not! Jesus had no right under the law to ask anyone to pay tithes to Him --- since He was not a Levite or Levitical priest?

And He did not ask anyone to tithe money because "tithe" was NOT money. It was agricultural produce and livestock!

So conclusion: "these ye ought have done" means you ought have tithed mint, dill, cummin (and other agricultural produce and livestock) if you are under the Jewish law and Levitical priesthood system. But if you do it, it may also be a case of woe to you if you neglect more important matters like mercy which could mean giving money to your brother in need than to some "pastor" as "tithes".

So if those who call us anti-tithers want to show that they too can think and have thought carefully about Matthew 23:23, let's hear it! smiley

cool

1 Like

Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Goshen360(m): 3:56pm On Apr 04, 2012
@ Enigma,

To add more to your explanation. One of the weapons of the false teachers of tithe is they pick bible out of context and give the bible a private interpretations, which is against the basis for our bible interpretation. One of the beautiful things I learnt in my bible school and personal studies is, READING THE BIBLE IN CONTEXT AND EXPLAIN OR INTERPRET THE BIBLE WITH THE BIBLE, THAT IS USE SCRIPTURES TO EXPLAIN SCRIPTURES AND NOT WITH YOUR HEAD KNOWLEDGE OR OUR OWN WORDS.

@ Enigma,

If we explain Matthew 23 in context and we read from verse one. You will see Jesus telling His disciples NOT TO DO WHAT THE SCRIBES AND PHARISEES DOES, v 1-3. Also in the context, one thing that is clear is the scribes and pharisees pay tithes of mint and anise and cummin. If we let scriptures interpret itself here in this context, it means to the disciples, do not tithe of mint and anise and cummin. Why? Because they are poor and the poor are not allowed/instructed to tithe. Also, tithe was mainly agricultural produce and animals. Why didn't Jesus tithe? Simpy, He was a CARPENTER. Why didn't Peter tithe? He was a fisherman. Why didn't Apostle Paul tithe? He was a tent maker. This truth is here for people to search out but they call us names of being anti-tither. Of course we are cos we reveal the truth against the falsehood of tithe.

Thank you brother, God bless you.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by dalaman: 4:23pm On Apr 04, 2012
Interesting debate.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by kolaoloye(m): 4:35pm On Apr 04, 2012
dalaman: Interesting debate.
You are welcome. Make your own contribution pls cheesy
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Goshen360(m): 4:59pm On Apr 04, 2012
dalaman: Interesting debate.

Point of correction sir/ma, It't not a debate as we don't debate the word of God. We teach the truth and if you know otherwise as we know in part, then teach us and we fellowship together.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by akpanbaba: 5:11pm On Apr 04, 2012
Please put the tithe in the tithe box or envelope in your church.If you have resources to help the brother in need,please do so without using the tithe
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Goshen360(m): 5:19pm On Apr 04, 2012
@ ndu chucks,

Enigma had given you much reply. Should you not be satisfied, let me know and we look at the views together. Thank you.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by nduchucks: 5:44pm On Apr 04, 2012
goshen360: @ ndu chucks,

Enigma had given you much reply. Should you not be satisfied, let me know and we look at the views together. Thank you.

Neither you nor Enigma has provided any scriptures to support the issue that God will no longer "throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it" if you make a donation (or tithe) of 10% to your place of worship.

To put it simply, where was it stated that making 10%, 20% or any donation to your place of worship, will no longer be rewarded by blessings from the flood gates of heaven? And if the said blessings are still bestowed upon those who give to their places of worship, why should people stop doing so?
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Enigma(m): 5:53pm On Apr 04, 2012
Where in the Bible is it stated that God will open the floodgates of heaven and pour out a blessing if a person makes a donation of 10% or "tithe" to his place of worship?

Where o where?

cool
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by SisiKill1: 5:55pm On Apr 04, 2012
Enigma: Where in the Bible is it stated that God will open the floodgates of heaven and pour out a blessing if a person makes a donation of 10% or "tithe" to his place of worship?

Where o where?

cool

Yeah. . .what he said!!

Lmao!!
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by nduchucks: 6:01pm On Apr 04, 2012
Enigma: Where in the Bible is it stated that God will open the floodgates of heaven and pour out a blessing if a person makes a donation of 10% or "tithe" to his place of worship?

Where o where?

cool

Malachi 3:10

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.

Now go back and answer the question I asked.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Classique27(f): 6:02pm On Apr 04, 2012
Sijo01: Gudday folks.
Am nt a fan of religious section, i decided to come in here due to dis liru issue i hav. Wanna kno if wat am abut to do is ok.

My brother who has never asked me for financial assistance b4 is really in need of money &has asked me to help out. I in person, am nt always confortable wen sombdy ask me for somfin n am unable to giv.

D issue now is dat, am nt boyant @d moment but i hv my tithe which i kno wil be reasonabl enof to giv out because hv nt been to my church for some time now (went on a visit to another church, was on duty, went out of d state etc) so, i did nt pay my tithe neither did i spend it.

If i give out this money (my tithe) to my brother, wil i b on point?
Plz folks ur opinion is seeked here.
Thanks!
my dear, your neighbour/brother is the God you see. Ask yourself, if you were God, would you tell someone to neglect his brother in dire need of assistance in favour of the church who is not going to break down cos it didnt get dat money then? Whatsoever you do to the least of my brothers, that you do unto me. Ask yourself, the church or your brother, who would appreciate the money most?
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Enigma(m): 6:03pm On Apr 04, 2012
ndu_chucks:

Malachi 3:10

Now go back and answer the question I asked.

Wrong!!!!!

Malachi 3:10 required people to bring tithes of agricultural produce and the tenth livestock to Levitical priests.

It does not say that anyone who makes a donation of 10% or tithe will receive the blessing of open flood gates etc

Try again or try another one. wink

cool
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by bankers: 6:27pm On Apr 04, 2012
Dont allow people to deceive you, please tithe has not been abolished be carefull of the devil tricks, please pay your tithe to your local church it is sacred unto God, be carefull.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by prettyrich(f): 6:30pm On Apr 04, 2012
buzugee: listen here woman. first off do you know going to church is a sin ? so u berra give your money to your brother or else angry
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by prettyrich(f): 6:32pm On Apr 04, 2012
buzugee: listen here woman. first off do you know going to church is a sin ? so u berra give your money to your brother or else angry
Devil's incarnate,Boko Haram like u.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by nduchucks: 6:46pm On Apr 04, 2012
Enigma:

Wrong!!!!!

Malachi 3:10 required people to bring tithes of agricultural produce and the tenth livestock to Levitical priests.

It does not say that anyone who makes a donation of 10% or tithe will receive the blessing of open flood gates etc

Try again or try another one. wink

cool

But it does say, if you bring the said tithes, you should expect the blessing of open flood gates etc.

What I am asking you is to use your common sense and understand that a God who will bless the people back then for bringing tithes, will also bless you today as such, if you make a donation to your place of worship, be it 10% or not. You are yet to show me where no blessing is promised to you if you make donations to your place of worship.

You people need to use your brains, atimes.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Enigma(m): 6:56pm On Apr 04, 2012
You are making a false argument and certainly not using your brain at all if you have one. At least you are grossly ignorant, biblically, and that is quite obvious.

1. God has already blessed the Christian. Epehesians 1:3

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

2. If all a person gives is what they can afford (and nowhere near 10% or "tithes" ), God Almighty will bless them nonetheless. 2 Cor 9:7

Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

3. If you take that approach with Malachi 3:10, then what is your approach to the passage below from Deuteronomy 14
28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

cool
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by nduchucks: 7:08pm On Apr 04, 2012
@Enigma, i will not be asking you this question again:

Can you show me where no blessing is promised to you if you make donations to your place of worship? Isn't the act of giving a noble thing anymore, and is the expectation of blessings after such acts of giving, non biblical?

If you can't specifically address my questions and continue to post verses and texts without using your common sense, I'm done with you.

As for the rest of the people who are reading, there is absolutely nothing wrong with making ANY donation to your place of worship (Church, mosque or other), and YES expect to be blessed for it. Sometimes feeling good about something is itself a blessing. shikena.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Enigma(m): 7:13pm On Apr 04, 2012
You are still making a false argument and wasting people's time.

Who is arguing that someone will not be blessed for making any donation to church. We go to church and give in church regularly. I even laid it out for you in my last post, esp point no 2 and the cheerful giver!

Your false argument started with your rubbish claims about open heavens and floodgates because of "tithes" in Malachi 3. We have now exposed the intellectual and biblical bankruptcy of that one. So try another one.

cool
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Goshen360(m): 8:22pm On Apr 04, 2012
@ ndu chucks,

Le'me use the word, "I guess" you are not a bible student. If you truly are, you will know by know in the context of Malachi, God wasn't talking to the Israelites, the "man" referred to in that verse is keyed into the context of who God was talking to in the context. Now Le'me show you, if you care:

Malachi 1:1 nkjv
The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi.

Malachi 2:1
"And now, O priests, this commandment is for you.

Chapter 2 of Malachi continued all the way to chapter 4, GOD STILL TALKING TO THE PRIEST. Brother, you can see it wasn't the members or Israelites that Malachi is addressed to. You can read to verify for yourself,okay.

Now le'me also show you that, EVERY BELIEVER IN JESUS NOW ARE THE PRIEST. THERE IS NO MORE PRIESTS LIKE IN THE DAYS OD THE TEMPLE THEN BECAUSE NOW WE OURSELVES ARE THE TEMPLE OF GOD AND WE ARE THE PRIEST THAT REPRESENTS OURSELVES AND GOD.

But you [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. 1 Peter 2:9 nkjv

Again, who was Peter writing to in context: Let's see again:

1 Peter 1:1-2 nkjv
Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.

That we are now the temple of God, to show you:

1 Cor 3:16 nkjv
Do you not know that you are the temple of God and [that] the Spirit of God dwells in you?

1 Cor 6:19 nkjv
Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit [who is] in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by nduchucks: 8:48pm On Apr 04, 2012
goshen360: @ ndu chucks,

Le'me use the word, "I guess" you are not a bible student. If you truly are, you will know by know in the context of Malachi, God wasn't talking to the Israelites, the "man" referred to in that verse is keyed into the context of who God was talking to in the context. Now Le'me show you, if you care:

Malachi 1:1 nkjv
The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi.

Malachi 2:1
"And now, O priests, this commandment is for you.

Chapter 2 of Malachi continued all the way to chapter 4, GOD STILL TALKING TO THE PRIEST. Brother, you can see it wasn't the members or Israelites that Malachi is addressed to. You can read to verify for yourself,okay.

Now le'me also show you that, EVERY BELIEVER IN JESUS NOW ARE THE PRIEST. THERE IS NO MORE PRIESTS LIKE IN THE DAYS OD THE TEMPLE THEN BECAUSE NOW WE OURSELVES ARE THE TEMPLE OF GOD AND WE ARE THE PRIEST THAT REPRESENTS OURSELVES AND GOD.

But you [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light. 1 Peter 2:9 nkjv

Again, who was Peter writing to in context: Let's see again:

1 Peter 1:1-2 nkjv
Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.

That we are now the temple of God, to show you:

1 Cor 3:16 nkjv
Do you not know that you are the temple of God and [that] the Spirit of God dwells in you?

1 Cor 6:19 nkjv
Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit [who is] in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?

^^^^ Story Story. Being a student has nothing to do with common sense. I ask you again, If you give your place of worship 10%, 20% or whatever percentage of your income as a donation to your place of worship, should you expect to be blessed?

The commonsensical answer is YES. QED.
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Goshen360(m): 9:00pm On Apr 04, 2012
^^^
Yes is the answer in a simple honest term. However, not according to the law of tithing. This is what we are saying. Give whatever with free will, cheerfully, not grudging and as God blessed you. Tithe is works of the law that brings self righteousness and compulsion. Like Enigma said, no body is saying you wont be blessed when you give any amount aside of tithe. As you said, giving can be less or more than 10%. So will that be fair on your part to say, the percentage of tithe should be abolished? and giving should be done freely as you are blessed?
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by nduchucks: 9:15pm On Apr 04, 2012
goshen360: ^^^
Yes is the answer in a simple honest term. However, not according to the law of tithing. This is what we are saying. Give whatever with free will, cheerfully, not grudging and as God blessed you. Tithe is works of the law that brings self righteousness and compulsion. Like Enigma said, no body is saying you wont be blessed when you give any amount aside of tithe. As you said, giving can be less or more than 10%. So will that be fair on your part to say, the percentage of tithe should be abolished? and giving should be done freely as you are blessed?

It appears that common sense is being introduced into the discussion. You have indicated that you are required to make charitable contributions, and in fact that the contribution should be more than 10% of your income in your earlier wtite-ups. On the other hand, you are telling people who want to contribute 10% of theirs that they should not do so, because the said contribution is called tithe? Does this make common sense to you? This is at best a semantic disagreement and at worst senseless.

If people want to contribute 10% of their income as charitable donations to their places of worship on a monthly basis, then you sir, are completely wrong to tell them not to do so because the said contribution is called tithe. Telling them not to, is a contradiction to what you yourself have admitted to being, an expectation of Christians i.e. making charitable donations (even if its through your place of worship).

Telling people to stop making charitable donations to their places of worship on a monthly basis is outright wrong and senseless.

Now, on a separate note, each individual has a responsibility of making sure that they avoid being taken for a ride by unscrupulous "pastors or imams".
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Jem1: 9:26pm On Apr 04, 2012
ndu_chucks:

It appears that common sense is being introduced into the discussion. You have indicated that you are required to make charitable contributions, and in fact that the contribution should be more than 10% of your income in your earlier wtite-ups. On the other hand, you are telling people who want to contribute 10% of theirs that they should not do so, because the said contribution is called tithe? Does this make common sense to you? This is at best a semantic disagreement and at worst senseless.

If people want to contribute 10% of their income as charitable donations to their places of worship on a monthly basis, then you sir, are completely wrong to tell them not to do so because the said contribution is called tithe. Telling them not to, is a contradiction to what you yourself have admitted to being, an expectation of Christians i.e. making charitable donations (even if its through your place of worship).

Telling people to stop making charitable donations to their places of worship on a monthly basis is outright wrong and senseless.

Now, on a separate note, each individual has a responsibility of making sure that they avoid being taken for a ride by unscrupulous "pastors or imams".

No one is saying you wouldn't be blessed but is the person who doesn't give 10% of their income to church under the curse in Malachi?
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Goshen360(m): 9:30pm On Apr 04, 2012
ndu_chucks:

If people want to contribute 10% of their income as charitable donations to their place of worship on a monthly basis, then you sir, are completely wrong to tell them not to do so because the said contribution is called tithe. Telling them not to, is a contradiction to what you yourself have admitted to being, an expectation of Christians i.e. making charitable donations (even if its through your place of worship).

[s]Telling people to stop making charitable donations to their places of worship on a monthly basis is outright wrong and senseless. [/s]

This is the basis of your common sense right? I gave the Yes answer knowing that is where you are coming. Now, Let me dismantle your so called common sense when it comes to the word of God. Do you really know what the windows of heaven you talked about meant when it is opened to tithe payers? Don't common sense tell you also that you are doing something on ignorance basis when God commands and promised something but you are doing in falsehood expecting the windows of heaven in blessings? Again, how does your common sense argue those that don't pay tithe to any church but are super rich? How does your common sense explain that?
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Enigma(m): 9:31pm On Apr 04, 2012
@ Jem1

Good point!

And what about the guy who gives "tithes" 'money' to his brother and not to church ---- is he too not blessed?

Afterall, some people have been telling us all sorts: one even says if a person's son is on the point of death, he should still first 'pay' "tithes" into church ---- instead of spending the money on medical treatment for his son! shocked

cool
Re: I Want To Give My Tithe To A Brother In Need by Goshen360(m): 9:33pm On Apr 04, 2012
^^^
lol, that is religious spirit and people my bro Enigma,lol. Son is dying and you go and pay tithe to church first? silly action.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

David Ibiyeomie Celebrates His 54th Birthday / Unauthorised Publishing Of "Open Heavens Devotional" Is Illegal - RCCG / Is It Wrong To Worship In One Church And Pay Tithe In Another Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.