Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,608 members, 7,827,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? (12231 Views)

Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! / Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? / 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by oiseworld: 7:21am On Apr 06, 2012
lots of good comment already so i need not say much.
Entreprenuership has its own reward and very great indeed. But do you have the doggedness to follow through. in running a company, you need finance,energy and connection and you need lots of them to last you for years. So i advice you get the oil job, save and aleast build a house for your family while at the same time you make contact,get experience and save money for enterprenuership.

When you are done, you can pull out and exert all of your FORCE AND ENERGY on you business so you can start making money as soon as possible. Pray well and plan HARD. May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by consultmartins(m): 7:30am On Apr 06, 2012
bestads: Salary will always be slavery no matter the company you work for,no matter the position and no matter the amount.

Salary is only a postponement of the day your job will end.

The list of the richest men in your locality,state,Nigeria,Togo,Gambia,UK,Iran,USA and the whole world has no single salary earner on it.
ONLY THOSE WITH THE LION HEART GET THE LION SHARE

ONLY THE RISK TAKERS BECOME RICH

ONLY THE BOLD GET THE GOLD

ONLY THE ADVENTUTOUS ADVANCE IN LIFE

ONLY THE BRAVE BECOME GREAT,SUCCESSFUL AND WEALTHY.

The MD of shell,chevron,agip,total,GTB,Zenith bank and other companies cannot bequeath their positions and salaries to their children if they are not the owners of these companies,but Bill Gates,Warren Buffet,Mike Adenuga,Dangote,SLOT,COSCHARIS,ELIZADE Can bequeath their companies and positions to their children ask Michael balogun of FCMB and Mike Adenuga

PLEASE START YOUR BUSINESS NOW and grow it

Don't try to mystify the entrepreneurial process and make entrepreneurs look like gods. Entrepreneurship is not about brevity, or lion heartedness; it's all about recognizing opportunity and doing all you can to tap such opportunity. As for the poster, before deciding on whether to pursue a job or self employment; first ask yourself this question:
Why do you want to be self employed?
Don't tell me you want to start a business because you want to be the next Mark Zuckerberg; you have to do it for the right reasons. If you choose the self employed route, do you have the capital to make it a reality? If not, go and learn how to raise capital or better still, get a job and save towards your plan. And lastly, becoming self employed is not a good goal to pursue because in the end, you are still employed. Rather, i will advice you aim to be a business owner; meaning your business can run without your presence. I am an entrepreneur and there's nothing glorious about the process of building a business. In fact, we entrepreneurs work harder than our employees and we also earn less in monthly income than our employees. I know a lot of entrepreneurs that earn less than bank cashiers. But our hope is not in monthly pay; we are working towards building a asset that will continue generating cash even after we pass away. Just my two cents.

3 Likes

Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by emedizzla(m): 7:45am On Apr 06, 2012
Hey, what do u want for ursef?
If its self employ start bt rememba u av to be very patient and if it is d oil job go fr it.

Bt if u realy want to be self employd u nid to hav the enterprenural skills, d relevant skills dat wil make it a success, if u dnt av it u cnt make it. Its d truth.
Note: we r not all born to be an enterprenueral.

Sweethrt, think it tru, dnt limit ur thought jst fr now, pls think abt d future.
Bow
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by emedizzla(m): 7:49am On Apr 06, 2012
consultmartins:
Don't try to mystify the entrepreneurial process and make entrepreneurs look like gods. Entrepreneurship is not about brevity, or lion heartedness; it's all about recognizing opportunity and doing all you can to tap such opportunity. As for the poster, before deciding on whether to pursue a job or self employment; first ask yourself this question:
Don't tell me you want to start a business because you want to be the next Mark Zuckerberg; you have to do it for the right reasons. If you choose the self employed route, do you have the capital to make it a reality? If not, go and learn how to raise capital or better still, get a job and save towards your plan. And lastly, becoming self employed is not a good goal to pursue because in the end, you are still employed. Rather, i will advice you aim to be a business owner; meaning your business can run without your presence. I am an entrepreneur and there's nothing glorious about the process of building a business. In fact, we entrepreneurs work harder than our employees and we also earn less in monthly income than our employees. I know a lot of entrepreneurs that earn less than bank cashiers. But our hope is not in monthly pay; we are working towards building a asset that will continue generating cash even after we pass away. Just my two cents.

well said... Tank u
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by Exponental(m): 7:51am On Apr 06, 2012
It's all about d 'koko'....... If u av ur gd koko n d business ideas n opps are available, knowing fully well dat d future is bright, den.....start ur biz bt if u dont av d koko, den bone.....oil coy, @ least 2 raise d koko.

Koko means d real thing
d real thing means cash!
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by emmykk(m): 7:53am On Apr 06, 2012
Self employed,is very good.get d oil job add ur self job dear
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by oseiwe(m): 7:53am On Apr 06, 2012
Can u give me d oil company slot? I'll give u free flat to start ur office
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by solomto(f): 8:14am On Apr 06, 2012
Firstly, whch type of business do u wnt to go into and wat is ur startup capital and hw much are u going to be making monthly?
Then hw much wl be ur salary in d oil company?
If u ask me, i wl choose the paid job and resign wen i feel like to start the biz, then u must hv saved more to start the biz in a bigger and more profitable way. Gudluck

1 Like

Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by pdpiperpippen: 8:45am On Apr 06, 2012
This is a stuip question, I see u are jobless, how did thisd nonsense make front page, mtchewwww!
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by Nobody: 8:48am On Apr 06, 2012
It's not enough be self employed but be a biz owner. If u are still confused i recomend u read cashflow Quadrant or rich dad poor dad both by Robert T. Kiyosaki its in every book shop. U will be glad u did.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 06, 2012
Do not read any yeye book by Kiyosaki.
The guy doesn't know what he is talking about.
You better grab that oil job (if the pay is above 5H)
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by Nobody: 9:10am On Apr 06, 2012
consultmartins:
Why would you need to be a cash-generating corpse!? As an organ donor?

1 Like

Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by nekkyihe(f): 9:14am On Apr 06, 2012
emedizzla: Hey, what do u want for ursef?
If its self employ start bt rememba u av to be very patient and if it is d oil job go fr it.

Bt if u realy want to be self employd u nid to hav the enterprenural skills, d relevant skills dat wil make it a success, if u dnt av it u cnt make it. Its d truth.
Note: we r not all born to be an enterprenueral.

Sweethrt, think it tru, dnt limit ur thought jst fr now, pls think abt d future.
Bow
Thanks alot, ur posts are of immense help.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by nekkyihe(f): 9:16am On Apr 06, 2012
oseiwe: Can u give me d oil company slot? I'll give u free flat to start ur office
grin[quote author=oseiwe] lmao
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by mizne1: 9:19am On Apr 06, 2012
I hired my own[img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by nekkyihe(f): 9:27am On Apr 06, 2012
tanimola22:

Unless you have good capital, novel ideas and something to fall back on, I would advise that you quickly jump at the oil job. Many people know how to say this and that; it is easier said. However, the actual test comes when one is faced with a very nice offer from an oil company. Not many people can resist the strong temptation.

I used to know one guy who claimed he would never work for anybody but himself. He was a year into his personal company when he suddenly got an offer from one of the major MNOCs, not even Total sef. The funny dude just abandoned his business and jumped at the oil company's offer. This was a dude that earlier made so much mouth about self-employment and even inspired very many people in the process. A lot of people, including yours sincerely, were astonished and disappointed in the guy.

Another one was a guy who was lured into resigning his bank job for the purpose of starting his own business and being self-employed. This guy foolishly harkened what he was told without even thinking about the risk involved. He never thought of what might happen if his business didn't go well. After 6 months of starting the business using 'all' the money he had, the business crashed! Today the guy is looking for whom to give him another paid employment. Unfortunately, paid employment does not come easily anymore. The person who encouraged him to resign his bank job and pursue self-employment has 'benjohnsined'. He has neglected him. Remember the song: when yawa dey for you everybody benjohnsin, dem go dey lie dem no no u again. This is the pathetic situation the guy has found himself.

I am not against being self-employed, in fact that is my ultimate plan. What I am saying is that, in the process of trying to be self-employed, one should have something to fall back on. It is a common knowledge that being an entrepreneur is not always rosy. What happens if things don't go well? This is the question we need to ask ourselves before going the self-employment route.

For me, I can never quit a paid employment unless I am sure that my family and I will survive for 5-6 straight years without any struggles. This is what I call having something to fall back on, just in case things don't look too well in the first few years of self-employment.

This is my take sha.

T22
Thanks T22this makes alot of sense, am glad u commented.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by nekkyihe(f): 9:31am On Apr 06, 2012
Fabulous Autos: It depends on how much you have for start up. You can even combine the two as business in Naija is full of uncertainties. A friend of mine who gained employment in the oil sector about 4 years ago just bought a house of 24m recently without borrowing a dime from the bank. He is now spending his vacation overseas with his family. I pray that God will help you make a wise decision at the end.
Thanks
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by nekkyihe(f): 9:38am On Apr 06, 2012
Lexusgs430: State what position you are been hired for and the line of business you hope to venture into !!!
A messenger, A driver & A cleaner, who are employed by oil companies, can also lay claims to work for oil companies. (not demeaning this jobs), but you get my drift!!!!
If am being hire to do demeaning jobs, do i have to think twice about starting my own business? use ur head.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by tayoccu(m): 9:48am On Apr 06, 2012
nekkyihe: Please help me make a choice on this issue. Being self-employed or working for an oil company - which is better?

I suggest u start with d oil firm, then as time goes on start your own thing, something that ur schedule @ work will allow, nuture it till it grows big enough to rival or even surpass ur oil firm job, then u can take it up full time.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by damola1: 9:50am On Apr 06, 2012
One is guaranteed paid, while the other is subject to you!
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by adewsteve: 9:51am On Apr 06, 2012
Well to me I ill prefer oil company as I can steal fall back on mynwork
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by JacobReamen(m): 9:55am On Apr 06, 2012
Self-employement is good, yes a lot of adventage, the whole fortunes comes to you the owner but what if this whole thing begins to liquidate, what if things become abnormal when you have nothing to fall back on? That is the question. So to me, i will go for the ready made. God bless nigeria.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by Sike(m): 10:07am On Apr 06, 2012
A Very Informative thread. I likey! *Bookmarked*
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by bizfirst: 10:16am On Apr 06, 2012
You see, friend, all life is taking risk - calculated ones I mean.
Potential wise, what's your zenith in the entrepreneurship world or the oil job?
No matter how small one is today in the entrepreneurship world, it only takes time and imagination before he'd be better than even a senator in Nigeria. Think things through, Nigerians!
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by Jemibee: 10:17am On Apr 06, 2012
I would opt for OIL JOB fast fast. After having saved enough money, i'd start my own buisness aside and make sure it's viable and profitable before i switch.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by Redman44(m): 10:35am On Apr 06, 2012
There is nothing like being Self Employed. The wealthiest people in the world own their own businesses. I will advise the poster to become self employed if:

1. He has Talent: If you have got a talent which you can turn into a profitable venture, then you can forget about the oil job. Talent matters a lot in business because you will be passionate about what you are doing.

2. He has some Money to Start Off: Mr Poster, do you have some capital to start your business? You don't have to have millions of Naira in your Bank Account. Just have a tidy sum of money to begin with and grow your business gradually. I must let you know that you have to be patient before the profits start to roll in.

3. He has mapped out an Advertising & Marketing Plan: If you don't advertise, it is like you're winking in the dark. So the poster has to organize a Marketing Campaign that will fit into his budget. People need to be aware of what you're producing or selling.

The poster should read widely on being self employed. He could also take up the oil Company job if it pays well and save up some money to run his business later on. Cheers.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by brock1740: 10:56am On Apr 06, 2012
thanks dear this is interesting i like it......
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by choncholot: 11:00am On Apr 06, 2012
being self employed is more challenging than working for some one joor!there are lots of ways to make money in nigeria. My sister and i relocated from abuja 6 months ago to start a school in our village.with loans here and there from friends and family,the ibo bz men in our area,carpenters,masons etc,we rented a run down and uncompleted warehouse and remodelled them into beautiful classrooms .she was a banker and i worked as a school administrator for a big school in the fct..we both have our nces,1st degrees,and i have a masters degree.we put our ideas we acquired by snooping round schools in the city to use and today we co-own the best school in our locality with a population of over 300 pupils primary,and 100 students secondary.and the income,wejust bought a tokunbo kia sorento jeep
as our official car! We have also acquired our own land for the school and we are halfway done with the ministry of educations requirements for approval.
All this no body money dey inside!!!we come 1st in competitions,spelling bee,march past,etc.we aim to be the best and to produce all rounded kids who from an early age start to learn to be employers with great entrepreneurial skillls,enough to gear them to face the changing society we live in.our kids can bake,make tie and dye,take pictures professionally,make soap,beads etc.we wil be a year old in sept and when we look back,we thank God we took the decision to do this.we have being able to reach out more to our community,giving poor and terminally ill kids scholarships etc we also collect clothes,school bags,water bottles,toys from our abuja friends and give them to our kids who need them.its fufulling doing what we do now,people look up to us to educate their children even lecturers,doctors,okada riders,mechanics etc.once you have the passion,identify an area of need where you can key in and voila!!!!!!!!!! You are on top.the challenges are there,but its always something you can conquer.start your own bussiness today and impact on others,plus you have something like a legacy to leave for your family when you are gone.

1 Like

Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by Reference(m): 11:09am On Apr 06, 2012
Very interesting perspectives but we must not even try to demean one or the other side afterall the oil company was started by a foolish entrepreneur who turned down a lucrative offer generations ago and Mr Entrepreneur what will you call the people working for you, unmotivated parasites? I think not.

The general rule is your decisions are either ruled by your head or your heart. While employees are more likely to be brainy (attraction of employers) and reason out life and its challenges, enterprise on the other hand is driven entirely by passion and requires some degree of mental dysfunction aka madness.

If I am to promote one I will rather praise enterprise and this is simply because of the level of suffering in Nigeria today. We have enough smart people but not enough jobs for them and certainly not enough people with the heart, the courage to create them.

Imagine if Seun was faced with this choice.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by Vergil: 11:25am On Apr 06, 2012
cugresources: @OP, it all depends on what u want in life. building a personal business is not so easy in Nigeria and other country, but it is very very possible. if you are an Ibo person, God has a special blessing for them when it comes to business and self-employment. If you aspire to be so great and end up a giant employer of labour, u cannot achieve it by working for someone. if you want to be self-employed, make sure your ready to bear the pains, the ups and downs for at least 2 - 3yrs, thats y Ibo people go for tutelage before they start their own business, it is to learn the business secrets in the business they want to venture into. make sure u have good startup capital, research well and don't expect fast success, it comes gradual, but great in mere future. oil company job is definitely the dream of most Nigerians becos they are afraid they won't make it as self-employed people...so they want it fast, buut how many oil co. workers make top rich list in various states in Nigeria? or say various streets, communities, L.G.As? they are only comfortable people, earn say 750k a month or 1.2m, depending on position, but some business people or say self-employed people make that amount in one week, some in few days, but the only difference is that theirs is not always constant, but all add up, good self-employed people earn far way more than oil workers. i would have revealed some businesses u will try, but nope...this is internet....but all the same, u can combine the two if u can. register a company name, but be careful becos u need to be at the helm of affairs of the biz so u don't end up making some people rich...ur bizness will only succeed if ur the md, and constantly there to run and monitor it cos people are wicked...in Nigeria. goodluck...

Thought that was d aim for most people. Millionaires or these 750k a month you speak of. If the latter spends according to his income. Are they not both comfortable? Except greed sets in yh?
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by belluci(f): 12:25pm On Apr 06, 2012
[quote author=Dis Guy]i love all these self employment preachers especially the new grads, bon boy no dey pay monthly house rent him dey form big boy grin

working in a well structured company at least you gain some experience how a business is ran
you are secured, saving money and still cooking you business idea
your fellow workers/managers are potentially your future customers/suppliers/consultants

Well said... You need people to excel in whatever business you are venturing into.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by moHot(f): 1:14pm On Apr 06, 2012
Shola2009: ^^ Exactly what i wanted to write.
There is oil money and oyel money.. . poster,which one be your own.

Give us more details.

LMAO @OYEL MONEY grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

AIG- BSG 2021/2022 Scholarship Application Test / How To Find Environmental Jobs In Nigeria / Ever Heard Of Roleplay Careers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.