Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,421 members, 7,843,268 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 09:48 PM

Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? (12240 Views)

Excuse Me, Mr. Self-employment Advocate! / Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? / 40k Monthly Permanent Job Or 80k Monthly Contract Job. Which Would You Choose? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by oluomad(m): 1:40pm On Apr 06, 2012
tanimola22:

Unless you have good capital, novel ideas and something to fall back on, I would advise that you quickly jump at the oil job. Many people know how to say this and that; it is easier said. However, the actual test comes when one is faced with a very nice offer from an oil company. Not many people can resist the strong temptation.

I used to know one guy who claimed he would never work for anybody but himself. He was a year into his personal company when he suddenly got an offer from one of the major MNOCs, not even Total sef. The funny dude just abandoned his business and jumped at the oil company's offer. This was a dude that earlier made so much mouth about self-employment and even inspired very many people in the process. A lot of people, including yours sincerely, were astonished and disappointed in the guy.

Another one was a guy who was lured into resigning his bank job for the purpose of starting his own business and being self-employed. This guy foolishly harkened what he was told without even thinking about the risk involved. He never thought of what might happen if his business didn't go well. After 6 months of starting the business using 'all' the money he had, the business crashed! Today the guy is looking for whom to give him another paid employment. Unfortunately, paid employment does not come easily anymore. The person who encouraged him to resign his bank job and pursue self-employment has 'benjohnsined'. He has neglected him. Remember the song: when yawa dey for you everybody benjohnsin, dem go dey lie dem no no u again. This is the pathetic situation the guy has found himself.

I am not against being self-employed, in fact that is my ultimate plan. What I am saying is that, in the process of trying to be self-employed, one should have something to fall back on. It is a common knowledge that being an entrepreneur is not always rosy. What happens if things don't go well? This is the question we need to ask ourselves before going the self-employment route.

For me, I can never quit a paid employment unless I am sure that my family and I will survive for 5-6 straight years without any struggles. This is what I call having something to fall back on, just in case things don't look too well in the first few years of self-employment.

This is my take sha.

T22

you toh dey lie, u can formulate lies
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by doublecross(m): 1:49pm On Apr 06, 2012
there is absolutely nothing like being self employed. You can strategise your self as you so see fit. if you dont feel like doing business at any time you just sit back at home and relax. but working with or in an organisation like the oil company wount give you that lil way. hope you get the drift.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by dan6019(m): 3:29pm On Apr 06, 2012
if you are inspired and you have ideas that can make you stand, being self-employed is better. When your mates in employment are getting to retirement age and being afraid of what to do next, you keep on running your own business.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by rafynee(f): 4:52pm On Apr 06, 2012
Self-employed or "company employed", d best thing is to follow ur mind. If you know you are up to d task of self-employment, starategise ur plan and pray towards it cos it is no an easy task. It always takes years to survive, as a saying goes Rome was not built in a day. Even,in reality,it takes d grace of God to survive wherever you find urself. So,is left for you to choice wisely.Think Big, Start Small
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by OjaP: 4:56pm On Apr 06, 2012
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by OjaP: 5:02pm On Apr 06, 2012
tanimola22:

Unless you have good capital, novel ideas and something to fall back on, I would advise that you quickly jump at the oil job. Many people know how to say this and that; it is easier said. However, the actual test comes when one is faced with a very nice offer from an oil company. Not many people can resist the strong temptation.

I used to know one guy who claimed he would never work for anybody but himself. He was a year into his personal company when he suddenly got an offer from one of the major MNOCs, not even Total sef. The funny dude just abandoned his business and jumped at the oil company's offer. This was a dude that earlier made so much mouth about self-employment and even inspired very many people in the process. A lot of people, including yours sincerely, were astonished and disappointed in the guy.

Another one was a guy who was lured into resigning his bank job for the purpose of starting his own business and being self-employed. This guy foolishly harkened what he was told without even thinking about the risk involved. He never thought of what might happen if his business didn't go well. After 6 months of starting the business using 'all' the money he had, the business crashed! Today the guy is looking for whom to give him another paid employment. Unfortunately, paid employment does not come easily anymore. The person who encouraged him to resign his bank job and pursue self-employment has 'benjohnsined'. He has neglected him. Remember the song: when yawa dey for you everybody benjohnsin, dem go dey lie dem no no u again. This is the pathetic situation the guy has found himself.

I am not against being self-employed, in fact that is my ultimate plan. What I am saying is that, in the process of trying to be self-employed, one should have something to fall back on. It is a common knowledge that being an entrepreneur is not always rosy. What happens if things don't go well? This is the question we need to ask ourselves before going the self-employment route.

For me, I can never quit a paid employment unless I am sure that my family and I will survive for 5-6 straight years without any struggles. This is what I call having something to fall back on, just in case things don't look too well in the first few years of self-employment.

This is my take sha.

T22

@ tanimola22

Major oil companies always advertise any job openings. Before anybody could be called for an interview or offered a job, I assume he/she submitted a resume showing interest in the job advertised. Did your friend follow this normal procedure before he was offered the job? If yes, why did he initially apply for the job when he knew he will never work under anybody?

I don't believe your story sir.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by stnonymus(m): 5:03pm On Apr 06, 2012
Self-employment is always better in the long run but verrrrry tough at the beginning. Employment is always better in the short term. But you have have the best of both worlds. Get a job and start something on the side and let it develop to the point that it will make sense to go into self employment fulltime.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by tanimola22: 5:55pm On Apr 06, 2012
To all those saying false, false, you are obviously free to believe whatever you want to believe. It is as simple as that. All the things I stated are true to me, and that is what really counts.

But for critical thinking sake, I would just add one or two more things:

does it not occur to you that the guy's claim might have been false and misleading? Does information asymmetry sound familiar?

does it not occur to you that the guy might have been nursing the ambition of working for an oil company and secretly interviewing with these oil companies, yet manipulating and deceiving others that self employment was what he wanted?

does it not occur to you that the guy might have been running his business as plan B, when in actual sense his plan A was to work for an oil company?

does it not occur to you that people have pride, and many people with high university grades always want others to believe that they are on top of every situation, including being above unemployment?

does it not occur to you that the guy might have been trying to be clandestine so that people would not know about his exploits, just in case he didn't make it through the oil company's several assessments?

does it mean that everybody in Mr.A's locality must be aware that Mr. A wrote a job test or interviewed with an oil company?

These were the exact questions I asked myself when the guy surprisingly accepted an offer from one MNOC. Are these questions really hard to deduce from my post?

Finally, the fact that I used to know one guy does not automatically imply that the same guy was my friend.

All these conclusions are really making me scared. grin

T22.

2 Likes

Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by emmatok(m): 7:49pm On Apr 06, 2012
consultmartins:
Don't try to mystify the entrepreneurial process and make entrepreneurs look like gods. Entrepreneurship is not about brevity, or lion heartedness; it's all about recognizing opportunity and doing all you can to tap such opportunity. As for the poster, before deciding on whether to pursue a job or self employment; first ask yourself this question:
Why do you want to be self employed?
Don't tell me you want to start a business because you want to be the next Mark Zuckerberg; you have to do it for the right reasons. If you choose the self employed route, do you have the capital to make it a reality? If not, go and learn how to raise capital or better still, get a job and save towards your plan. And lastly, becoming self employed is not a good goal to pursue because in the end, you are still employed. Rather, i will advice you aim to be a business owner; meaning your business can run without your presence. I am an entrepreneur and there's nothing glorious about the process of building a business. In fact, we entrepreneurs work harder than our employees and we also earn less in monthly income than our employees. I know a lot of entrepreneurs that earn less than bank cashiers. But our hope is not in monthly pay; we are working towards building a asset that will continue generating cash even after we pass away. Just my two cents.

Correct.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by AjanleKoko: 8:26pm On Apr 06, 2012
LOL@Topic. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Topic is silly and kind of pointless.

OP,
Better grab that oil company job before I bring out a koboko now tongue

Oh, wait . . . thought so. Nobody offered you an oil company job, did they? undecided
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by emmatok(m): 9:14pm On Apr 06, 2012
grin grin grin
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by edupedia: 6:28am On Apr 07, 2012
...if u don't intend to steal you'll never be rich working for someone else.... whatever salary u earn so shall your taste bud be...i was earning good money and decided to visit brazil twice in 12 months...it was crazy in the days of varig airlines in naija...even made one stupid investment in a goddam place called cabo frio...would have been smarter if self employed...self employment has a lot of pains...but if u know u have nothing unique to offer keep earning your salaries...u may not be really satisfied but at least your family will not suddenly see u as an alien from mars!!!!
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by Amalaaba: 8:20am On Apr 07, 2012
If you have the option of Self Employment and an oil company job as a fresh graduate, go for the oil company job. You can then gradually build your business on the side. Many guys i know own different businesses while working for oil companies.

From my personal experience and reading studies worldwide, about 90% of small businesses WILL fail within the first 10 years of existence.

In Nigeria, unless you get huge government contract or lash on to a sudden opportunity and use the proceed wisely most businesses you set up would have truncated future, because of capital inadequacy and cost of fund.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Apr 07, 2012
When u enter a race, u run to win. U dont run to fail but u must have practised for the race unless u came to play.

Self employment is sweet but better get experience working for someone while u sharpen ur skills and knowledge set to start ur own business. Better start the business while still in paid employment and let someone run the errands while u provide oversight functions. Weigh ur income from the business in comparism with ur paid employment before u quit. Be ready for the battles of starting a new business when u eventually quit ur paid employment. U will get there definitely. Someone left a paid employment following these rules and in 12months, he earns 5times his income from paid employment.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Apr 08, 2012
Notin like enterpreneurship

1 Like

Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by kabirv: 8:10pm On Apr 08, 2012
emmatok:

Correct.
i totally agree with you sir. i was forced to go self employed after job searching for a while without success. it is incredibly hard work with little reward in terms of immediate financial renumeration. there is also the matter of the insecurity of charting these brave waters believe me entrepreneurs are brave, esp if they put in so much moneywise and effortwise. its not easy at all. many times you would wonder if it were not better if you remained unemployed because maybe the money gifts you recieve as an unemployed person could be more than what you earn in a month of grueling blood sucking hard work. the bright side however as i came to realise in my experience is that you find you are building something for yourself and your kids. you ll find finally that you are actually going to make it. you are actually going to buy that brand new car and move to that high brow area. you re actually goig to hit it big and have loads of fun with money without worrying about your bills.you are actually going to leave a legacy of hardwork character guts patient endurance and of course loads of money and investment for your kids after you re gone. i wouldnt pick entreprenueurship over the oil company. i like my sleep and rest of mind. but its just as well that im an entrepreneur right now. it has given me confidence that whether oil company or not, i will make it. please if you have the option take the oil company.
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by masterpiecer(m): 8:36am On Apr 09, 2012
nekkyihe: Please help me make a choice on this issue. Being self-employed or working for an oil company - which is better?
listen dear,

what ever u want to be in life is left for u to decide, advice from others is left at ur option to take or leave, i work in an oil firm (project though) but 1 thing u have to know is that it's very important that u follow ur passion in life, if enterpreneurship is all u've ever dreamt of then give it a shot, don't be scared of anything, even the bible states that we should not despice the days of little beginnings, things that starts little always have room to grow, even humans are born as babies so that they can grow, starting big can sometimes pose a big problem, remember Titanic,started big and sank to the bottom of the sea in a short while.

lastly, the oil company that gives an offer today was once an enterpreneur yesterday.

1 Like

Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by masterpiecer(m): 8:50am On Apr 09, 2012
what we need most is not money, in every business idea, money comes in at the third stage, first is an idea, second is a plan while money is the third(and most times, what ever u have is enough to start), even if you give N2Om to a man without a vision and an idea, that money will only last for sometime and finally disappear, but a man with a great vision and a good idea would grow in no time even with a mere N500,00, do you think Dangote got all the millions before he started making all his millions?,enterpreneurship is a thing of passion, vision, idea and hard work all in one, then the sky is just ur foot mat
Re: Self-Employment vs Oil Company Job: Which is Better? by sellydion: 2:55pm On Apr 09, 2012
please go for oil while working you can plan a solid or work on the one you have through people.
Many oil guys are the shakers and movers of various busineses in Nija.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Join Nigerian Institute Of Public Relations, NIPR / Is The Manager Conniving With The Security To Work Against Me? / Ever Heard Of Roleplay Careers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.