Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,052 members, 7,956,929 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:45 PM

Why Are Britain The Colonial Enclave And Not Argentina When It Comes To The Falk - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Britain The Colonial Enclave And Not Argentina When It Comes To The Falk (752 Views)

Checkout A Village Court In Uyo In 1949 Where Colonial Officers Preside(pic) / How Nigerian Army Chief Spent Night In Former Boko Haram Enclave (PHOTOS) / 'When It Comes To Corruption During My Government, I Was A Saint' — IBB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Britain The Colonial Enclave And Not Argentina When It Comes To The Falk by dengser: 8:05am On Apr 04, 2012
I was reading the paper in absolute fury today about what the President of Argentina has said about British claims to the Falkland Islands. She was saying it is absurd Britain claims sovereignty over an island so far away from our shores and that we should not be holding a colonial enclave in the 21st century and give the islands to Argentina.

Now, as I understand the politics of the British Overseas Territories, of which the Falklands is a part, each has the right to self-govern, similar to how British Dominions had prior to 1931. They have the right to make decisions on their own on how their country is ran and who their country is run by and they pay a sum every so often out of their taxes to the British Government to have their defence and foreign affairs dealt with.
[img]http://www.filii.info/g.gif[/img]
Now the Falklands have the right to referendum and decide whether they independently run themselves, whether they remain under Britain or whether they go under Argentina. Now if the Falklands hate Britain so much why haven't they voted to go under Argentinian rule?

At the end of the day, how are we the colonial enclave, the Falklands have not objected to being under British rule when they have the full right to object. The ones objecting to the Falklands being under British rule are Argentina and it very much looks to me, like Argentina is trying to force a group of islands under its rule, who don't want to be, so if we are the colonial enclave, how would Argentina be any better if they had the Falklands under their rule. Cos from how the Overseas Territories work, clearly the Falklands don't want to be part of Argentina otherwise they would have voted to become part of it, so how is Britain the colonial enclave and not Argentina in this? Argentina are the ones trying to force a country under their rule.
Re: Why Are Britain The Colonial Enclave And Not Argentina When It Comes To The Falk by andrewza: 10:58am On Apr 04, 2012
The falklands want to be under english rule. And thanks to the war they will never want Argentina to govern them. Argentina should know they have lost.

(1) (Reply)

Rocket Launchers For BH Easter Attack Seized As Elrufai Calls For Troop Pull Out / Doctors’strike Grounds Medical Services In Lagos / I Don't Think Ibrahim Larmorde The Neww Efcc Boss Is Doing Well.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.