Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,095 members, 7,957,100 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:07 AM

Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account (5441 Views)

Yakubu Yusuf Rearrested Over Police Pension Scheme / Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn / Reps Threaten To Order Okonjo-iweala's Arrest Over Police Pension (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by naptu2: 8:08am On Apr 04, 2012
Senators uncover N3b fake pension account.

By Onyedi Ojiabor and Kamarudeen Ogundele, Abuja

•Panel summons bank MDs

Another illegal police pension account with N3billion cash has been discovered.

The discovery, which was announced yesterday by the Senate Committee probing the management of the pension fund, deepens the scam in the pension system.

Permanent Secretary Atiku Abubakar Kigo and five other top civil servants are standing trial for the alleged theft and mismanagement of N32.8 billion police pension fund.

The Senate Committee said the account is with an old generation bank.

The N3 billion, the committee said, was deposited the same day the account was opened. 

The committee said its preliminary findings showed that the account did not have the blessing of the Accountant General of the Federation.

The committee said the questionable account was opened in the name of Adamu Salihu but with different codes.

Senator Aloysius Etok, head of the Joint Senate Committee on Establishment and Public Service and States and Local Government Administration, which is probing the fund, vowed to get to the root of the suspicious account.

Etok announced the invitation of Managing Directors of seven banks and the Chairman of Economic and Financial Crime Commission (EFCC), Mr. Ibrahim Lamorde, to unravel the mystery behind the series of controversial accounts on the pension fund.

The banks whose chief executives were invited by the committee are First Bank, Union Bank, Zenith Bank, Diamond Bank, Fidelity Bank, GTB and Skye Bank.

The banks’ chiefs are expected to appear before the committee on April 16.

The Executive Director (North), United Bank for Africa (UBA), Mr. Dan Okeke, who appeared before the committee to clarify issues surrounding another pension account in his bank, noted that it was not possible for one account to bear two names.

Okeke also said it was not possible under normal circumstance for two persons to operate one account.

The bank official said there was approval before the account was opened but could not say if the approval was granted before or after the controversial account was opened. 

He urged the committee to give him time to fetch a copy of the approval letter for opening the account.

Okeke said: “It is highly unlikely for such to happen. If you let us have the specific case, we can go back and confirm, but under normal circumstance, two names are not supposed to bear same account number.”

Etok sought to know whether interest is paid on the account or not.

Okeke said UBA would not pay interest on such account, except it is a fixed deposit account.

He is to give the committee details of all the pension accounts of the police, Head of Service, Customs Service and others with his bank.

Kigo and five others standing trial over N32.8 billion Nigeria Police Pension Fund, got bail yesterday.

Also granted bail are a director, Esai Dangabar; Ahmed Inuwa Wada, John Yakubu Yusufu, Mrs. Veronica Ulonma Onyegbula and Sani Habila Zira.

They are facing a 16-count charge of criminal breach of trust slammed against them by the EFCC.

The alleged offence is punishable under Sections 97, 115 (ii), 119, 309 and 315 of the Penal Code Act Cap. 532 Laws of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, Nigeria 2007.

Justice Abubakar Talba granted them N10m bail each and two sureties each in the like sum. The sureties must be residents of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). One of them must be a civil servant not below Grade level 14.

Ruling on the bail application argued by Chief Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), Justice Talba agreed that the court has discretion to admit the accused persons to bail.

The court after weighing the balance of convenience, decided that the accused persons are presumed innocent until proven otherwise.

The Judge disagreed with the EFCC’s claim that investigation into the case had not been concluded and also dispelled insinuations that the accused will interfere with the trial.

According to him, with the proof of evidence placed before the court, it is presumed that investigation had been done.

Awomolo urged the court to grant the accused bail on the grounds that they did not abuse the administrative bail granted them by the anti-graft agency before being brought to court.

But EFCC counsel Mr. Rotimi Jacob argued that the accused failed to place enough material before the court to enable it exercise its discretion in their favour.

The accused, between January 2009 and June 2011 in Abuja, allegedly diverted N14,518,567,724, being part of the police pension fund from an account domiciled at First Bank Plc.

Between January and December 2009 in Abuja, they also allegedly breached the public trust with N8,920,371,822 police pension fund kept at First Bank Plc.

The charge sheet also indicated that between January 2010 and February 2011, also in Abuja, they diverted N4,739,894,896 police fund and another N858,301,006 between February and June 2011.

They were also accused of stealing N656,559,289 in January 2011 while in March 2009 another N462,963,012 was allegedly diverted from the same source while working at the police  pension office among others.

The case has been adjourned till April 28 for trial

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/41999-senators-uncover-n3b-fake-pension-account.html
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by naptu2: 9:09am On Apr 04, 2012
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by BlackBaron: 9:51am On Apr 04, 2012
Fresh air!
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by ogooikenna(f): 9:51am On Apr 04, 2012
na so life dey? Nigerian money, nawa oooooooooo
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by Tintinix: 9:55am On Apr 04, 2012
The amounts of monies stolen with impunity in this country is mind boggling, I wonder what excuse we will be made to endure hearing this time.
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 04, 2012
The same old stories, the case goes to court then it's thrown out by the judge.

1 Like

Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by chuks49(m): 10:00am On Apr 04, 2012
So
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by sheyee(m): 10:01am On Apr 04, 2012
nigeria we hail thee, sure this country's foundation was built on corruption, its in the blood
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by antartica(m): 10:02am On Apr 04, 2012
The number of ghost workers that thrive in all level of government departments and parastatals in nigeria are way more than the number of the real employees and the bosses are all are aware of the scams. By bosses i mean the governors,ministers,commissioners,senators,perm secs, local govt chairpersons and even the presidency. Nigerian government is just one big criminal syndicate. Watch how this case will be swept under the carpet because david mark and even the presidency could be getting cuts from the racket.
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by Killz3(m): 10:03am On Apr 04, 2012
Huh?
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by castonn(m): 10:09am On Apr 04, 2012
they ar criminals untill dey ar proven innocent Egodinogwu
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by cynthiafred67(f): 10:13am On Apr 04, 2012
SMH @ nija
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by snthesis(m): 10:18am On Apr 04, 2012
if a policeman can shoot a common bus driver over =N=20.00 i wonder why they haven't shot this guys stealing their pensions
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by Demdem(m): 10:22am On Apr 04, 2012
Pension again shocked shocked shocked shocked na wa oooo.
its my pension safe at all?
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 04, 2012
And when u say nigeria banks are corrupt some backward people esp on dis forum go dey run their mouth. The banking system have bunches of corrupt MD's,ED's and CEO's. If not tell me how such huge amount was deposited into personal accounts without the bank notifying anti graft. I just tire for dis country. I hope the likes of OKONTAMI and 1st CITIZEN dat claim to be bankers can see dis. Na God go punish all dese executive thieves...mshewwww!!!
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by Silva79(f): 10:30am On Apr 04, 2012
When would good news come outta 9ja?
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by manmustwac(m): 10:30am On Apr 04, 2012
shiloh: And when u say nigeria banks are corrupt some backward people esp on dis forum go dey run their mouth. The banking system have bunches of corrupt MD's,ED's and CEO's. If not tell me how such huge amount was deposited into personal accounts without the bank notifying anti graft. I just tire for dis country. I hope the likes of OKONTAMI and 1st CITIZEN dat claim to be bankers can see dis. Na God go punish all dese executive thieves...mshewwww!!!
TRUE! Only imaginary God can solve our problem. cry cry
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by kokoA(m): 10:53am On Apr 04, 2012
I once met an old man of about 80years (or more because he even wasn't sure of his date of birth). This man had worked with Unilag Teaching Hospital and retired in the late eighties (At about thesame time I was born)but from then till as at 2009 that I met him, he has not been paid a kobo by the government due to some little errors in his record. This old man have shuttled between badagry and Abuja for only God knows how many times before I met him in the Abuja Pension office. I and everybody around me shaded real tears when baba narrated his story to us of how he has been begging to survive (He had to run to Badagry because he was owing almost everybody around him in Lagos) and considering that he wasn't lucky in his choice of a wife (His wife ran away abroad with his kids since the 1980) there was nothing he could do. I personally took up the case of this poor oldman, only for the pension officers to be blowing big big "grammar" about how his corrections have not been effected in the system, how he has to do some biometric rgistration, sign some rubbish papaer, etc before he can be paid.

I mean, what kind of country do we live in? Where is the God we all talk about? This baba's money no doubt is a little percentage of all these "billions" that we are hearing of today. Why are Nigerians soo wicked? I just don't understand. How can somebody serve his/her father land for 35years and at the end of the day some b@st@rds! will decide to eat up his/her sweat? It is this same people that will got to church on sunday and make big cash donations. God will punish this people. Amen.

7 Likes

Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by gururguy: 10:59am On Apr 04, 2012
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by kufreabasi(m): 11:04am On Apr 04, 2012
Why do they keep on telling us this fake news and old stories without proper punishment giving to these culprits?
It's always anoying.
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by emsquare(m): 11:08am On Apr 04, 2012
Tintinix: The amounts of monies stolen with impunity in this country is mind boggling, I wonder what excuse we will be made to endure hearing this time.

Na wa oo!
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by stepo707: 11:16am On Apr 04, 2012
So sad!
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by joanana(f): 11:16am On Apr 04, 2012
saxywale: The same old stories, the case goes to court then it's thrown out by the judge.

True talk my dear!! We all know how it will end. No b Nigeria again!! Mtcheew angry
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by joanana(f): 11:18am On Apr 04, 2012
moneylove: enjoy...if your eyes let you commit sin..cut it out...lol

You r really sick ... pervert angry angry angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by chemistry1(m): 11:20am On Apr 04, 2012
@ kOKO A....love your comment...
Please anybody in the house, how can I send a new post to the front page?
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by gururguy: 11:26am On Apr 04, 2012
fake fake
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by Enoquin(f): 11:31am On Apr 04, 2012
angryIt's getting annoying..It's better to stop reporting these lootings since it ends just with reporting!
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by Nobody: 11:42am On Apr 04, 2012
GEJ is a slowpoke who ought to av been impeached. For every attempts to tackle corruption another weird news is born. An ordinary fisherman eating N1BN food. Sense less naija delta prick.
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by Nobody: 12:10pm On Apr 04, 2012
kokoA: I once met an old man of about 80years (or more because he even wasn't sure of his date of birth). This man had worked with Unilag Teaching Hospital and retired in the late eighties (At about thesame time I was born)but from then till as at 2009 that I met him, he has not been paid a kobo by the government due to some little errors in his record. This old man have shuttled between badagry and Abuja for only God knows how many times before I met him in the Abuja Pension office. I and everybody around me shaded real tears when baba narrated his story to us of how he has been begging to survive (He had to run to Badagry because he was owing almost everybody around him in Lagos) and considering that he wasn't lucky in his choice of a wife (His wife ran away abroad with his kids since the 1980) there was nothing he could do. I personally took up the case of this poor oldman, only for the pension officers to be blowing big big "grammar" about how his corrections have not been effected in the system, how he has to do some biometric rgistration, sign some rubbish papaer, etc before he can be paid.

I mean, what kind of country do we live in? Where is the God we all talk about? This baba's money no doubt is a little percentage of all these "billions" that we are hearing of today. Why are Nigerians soo wicked? I just don't understand. How can somebody serve his/her father land for 35years and at the end of the day some b@st@rds! will decide to eat up his/her sweat? It is this same people that will got to church on sunday and make big cash donations. God will punish this people. Amen.

AMEN O + the pastors and church members who follow to chop the money knowing fully well that there are thieves in their midst!
Re: Senators Uncover ₦3B Fake Police Pension Account by JUO(m): 12:11pm On Apr 04, 2012
story, story ....... the same old stories

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What A Nigerian Police Man Was Spotted Doing With A Half-unclad Lady(pic) / Atiku Replies Lai Mohammed Says Israel Can Wipe Out Nigeria From World Map / Man Fetching Well Water From A Four Storey Building In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.