Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,286 members, 7,815,489 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share (5066 Views)

Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe / PhD In Canada / Best Country In Europe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share by yemmyma: 9:51am On May 05, 2012
Donmeca: T22, u r a kind man. I ran away frm NL cos majority here r fake....ur type is rare bro! God bless u.

Pls mine is on getting funds for an Msc in Geology in Belgium. I was refused visa last year on financial grounds so had to defer d admission till 2012/2013 session. Ever since, i have searched d whole internet and Nigerian ministries but got very few unlikely options.

Tired of going back to school for transcripts and reference letters. Any help/info on sourcing grants or scholarships for msc in belgium (Ghent) will b highly appreciated. School startsmid september. Thanks

What is the cost for tuition?
Re: Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share by Donmeca(m): 3:39pm On May 05, 2012
yemmy_ma:

What is the cost for tuition?

the tuition is so low....less than 700 euros and coming from a 3rd world country, I am entiled to a reduced tuition of 80 euros (if it's not reviewed...to exlude Nigeria...in July) . My issue is with d living expenses put at around 1000 euros a month. Thats y they refused me visa d last timeout.
Re: Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share by yemmyma: 10:32am On May 06, 2012
I know the tuition is low that is why i asked how much it was in your case. Seriously, countries like that especially in Europe don't give scholarship of any sort to students because they believe they have made the tuition fee somewhat negligible for the student. So my advice is to look on the school's website and see if there is any form of scholarship offer. If there is none, then you might want to go for the studies which is almost free and find out to slug it out while there in terms of living cost.

All the best!
Re: Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share by Donmeca(m): 10:53am On May 06, 2012
Thanks Yemmy...I have done all that and found just one whose decision i am eagerly expecting di May. Given d high number of applicants published for only 10 spaces, I want to broaden my scope...2 mayb increase my chances. Unfortunately, there is no bilateral agreement btw them n Nigeria on educational exchange and training. Now I can't get d visa with my account still...since my financial situation did not improve within d yearsad. Their demand on financial guarantorship is quit strict! Just tired now....but praying n hoping God will turn d grant in my favour and make me one of d chosen 10. If not....
Re: Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share by yemmyma: 11:12am On May 07, 2012
Donmeca: Thanks Yemmy...I have done all that and found just one whose decision i am eagerly expecting di May. Given d high number of applicants published for only 10 spaces, I want to broaden my scope...2 mayb increase my chances. Unfortunately, there is no bilateral agreement btw them n Nigeria on educational exchange and training. Now I can't get d visa with my account still...since my financial situation did not improve within d yearsad. Their demand on financial guarantorship is quit strict! Just tired now....but praying n hoping God will turn d grant in my favour and make me one of d chosen 10. If not....

Can you tell me what they demanded from you financially?
Re: Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share by Donmeca(m): 3:59pm On May 07, 2012
yemmy_ma:

yemmy_ma:

If I were sure to sponsor myself, then I would have to send a mail to a lady who does the financial calculation, opens an account in my name and sends me d deatils for a transfer. As soon as they have the stated amt in 'my account', the school will issue an letter to d embassy on my behalf stating that i have a secured means of livelihood in Belgium and that a type D visa shud b issued.

In d event of another person footing d bill, the said sponsor goes to d Belgian embassy in Abuja or d sponsor's country of residence to fillout a Financial Guarantor Form (normally in Dutch). A friend's rough calculation says the guarantor (depending on his/her family size) will have to prove that he/she can spare atleast 700 euros monthly for the student. So invariably, a married man with 2 kids wud have to earn 150 monthly 4 each of his wife and children, 1250 4himself and abt 300 euros 4d stdt. So we are modestly lookin at btw 2k and 3k monthly earning...after tax...4 someone to qualify as a sponsor.

Docs needed as proof: one yr bank statement, six months pay slip, one yr tax clearance, cert of inc and memat(4 bizmen), id card
Re: Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share by yemmyma: 4:23pm On May 07, 2012
Donmeca:

If I were sure to sponsor myself, then I would have to send a mail to a lady who does the financial calculation, opens an account in my name and sends me d deatils for a transfer. As soon as they have the stated amt in 'my account', the school will issue an letter to d embassy on my behalf stating that i have a secured means of livelihood in Belgium and that a type D visa shud b issued.

In d event of another person footing d bill, the said sponsor goes to d Belgian embassy in Abuja or d sponsor's country of residence to fillout a Financial Guarantor Form (normally in Dutch). A friend's rough calculation says the guarantor (depending on his/her family size) will have to prove that he/she can spare atleast 700 euros monthly for the student. So invariably, a married man with 2 kids wud have to earn 150 monthly 4 each of his wife and children, 1250 4himself and abt 300 euros 4d stdt. So we are modestly lookin at btw 2k and 3k monthly earning...after tax...4 someone to qualify as a sponsor.

Docs needed as proof: one yr bank statement, six months pay slip, one yr tax clearance, cert of inc and memat(4 bizmen), id card

Well, i can see from your what you said earlier that this is not feasible from your end. Its unfortunate this visa requirement is getting tougher. I can only suggest you try what you can and ask people you know that can assist. Cos personally, i don't know of any other way this can be executed.
Re: Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share by Donmeca(m): 4:54pm On May 07, 2012
Thanks Yemmy...me self don tire...frm one failed promise to another. It's not easy to market diz things to certain people...no mata how close. They seldom understand what it is.
Re: Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share by Donmeca(m): 4:57pm On May 07, 2012
Re: Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share by cconcept: 11:13pm On May 25, 2012
Can someone explain in details what research assistantship is all about especially using the usa and canada as case studies?
Re: Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share by hgai: 4:05am On Aug 10, 2012
There are quite a number of universities in Europe offers Ph.D. in agriculture, econs,development economics,enviromental/health economics. Some of the big scholarships that offer to Ph.D. students in those fields are Erasmus Mundus http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/erasmus_mundus/results_compendia/selected_projects_action_1_joint_doctorates_en.php or DAAD PhD scholarshps in Germany http://www.daad.de/deutschland/forschung/german-research-careers/14307.en.html
Re: Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share by Goodfield(m): 12:06am On Aug 12, 2012
BSc.Building(first class),i want to do MSc or PhD in civil engineering or construction engineering or construction technology or construction management, please any ideal of schools or countries that give scholarship?
Re: Doing Phd In Europe. Pls Share by cconcept: 7:57pm On Oct 14, 2013
what has happened to this thread?
T22 and others,where are thou? smiley

(1) (2) (Reply)

Relocating To New Zealand / More Than 100 Dead In Havana Plane Crash / Moving Abroad From Nigeria ? - The Untold Truth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.