Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity (2299 Views)

APC MANIFESTO: We'll Grow Oil Production To 4MBPD, Revenue To $50bn By 2019 / Lagos Needs $50bn For Infrastructure Development- Fashola / The Transformation Of Nigeria, Part III- Lekki Megacity Master Plan (Lagos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by smile4kenn(m): 6:41am On Nov 06, 2007
The state Governor, Mr. Raji Fashola, said it had been projected that the state must spend at least $2bn on the expansion and modernisation of its water supply network over the next two decades.

He spoke at the opening ceremony of the international workshop on the state’s public private partnership initiative in Lagos on Monday.

He said the state must also expend about $715m over a five-year period to provide a qualitative and efficient roadwork; $185m on the upgrading of existing slums over the next 15 years and about $100m yearly, in the next few years, to achieve the objective of an efficient and effective waste management system.

“This, of course, is only a tip of the ice berg as equally stupendous amounts will be required to maintain existing drainage channels and provide new ones; meet the demand for public transportation, housing and maintain effective security among others,” he added.

He explained that the targets could only be met through creative public-private partnerships, saying that employing such partnerships to finance infrastructure development had become inevitable in most parts of the world.

He said government alone could not muster sufficient resources to meet the needs of the people.

The Governor added, “We are not asking for foreign aid, a much abused concept. We are not extending a begging bowl for charity or compassionate financial handouts.

“All we are seeking is for serious minded investors, who will utilise our infrastructure challenges as opportunities to do profitable business in Lagos State and Nigeria.”

According to him, the opportunities for viable investment in Lagos are limitless.

On power supply, he said only 1000MW was currently supplied as against the actual demand of 12,000MW.

He also said that 170 million gallons of water were generated per day when compared with the actual daily demand of 720 million gallons.

He said, “Our detailed and meticulous studies show, for instance, that an investment of $100m in the infrastructure needed for our Bus Rapid System will yield an annual revenue of at least $50m.

“And about $787m will be required as investment in our rail transportation infrastructure, with projected annual revenue of $400m.”

http://punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200711060314662
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by rasque(m): 7:28am On Nov 06, 2007
That is a governor that knows what he is there to do. This guy has potentials and ideas what is left now is to back all the talk and ideas with action.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by rasque(m): 7:32am On Nov 06, 2007
He is also in the process of setting up a state fire service to be located in all local govt of the state and not relying on the obsolete federal fire service.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Ndipe(m): 7:40am On Nov 06, 2007
Must it be in dollars to ascertain the cost of transforming Lagos into a megacity? Why cant it be in Naira?
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by babasin(m): 11:03am On Nov 06, 2007
Must it be in dollars to ascertain the cost of transforming Lagos into a megacity? Why can't it be in Naira?

Naira is not covertible.

You cant change/buy it anywhere in the world except Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by vigasimple(m): 12:25pm On Nov 06, 2007
I think he would have also given the figures in naira but for the purpose of international investors it is easy to quote the sums in dollars.

The next point is to find means of privatising most of those things so that investors can see where they are putting their monies and the returns expected because a private enterprise will explain in a nutshell how they intend running the business.

Thank God for some ideas and start somewhere.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by fakedavid: 12:28pm On Nov 06, 2007
Stupid comments - how can he give it in Naira - is that how its done?

I know some people must find something wrong to talk about - wait until some people start saying it will fail and that it will be a waste of moeny.

Even if God wants to do something for Nigeria - Nigerians will still find reasons to criticise and doubt God's intentions.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Kobojunkie: 4:58pm On Nov 06, 2007
smile4kenn:

The Governor added, “We are not asking for foreign aid, a much abused concept. We are not extending a begging bowl for charity or compassionate financial handouts.

“All we are seeking is for serious minded investors, who will utilise our infrastructure challenges as opportunities to do profitable business in Lagos State and Nigeria.”

According to him, the opportunities for viable investment in Lagos are limitless.

On power supply, he said only 1000MW was currently supplied as against the actual demand of 12,000MW.

He also said that 170 million gallons of water were generated per day when compared with the actual daily demand of 720 million gallons.

He said, “Our detailed and meticulous studies show, for instance, that an investment of $100m in the infrastructure needed for our Bus Rapid System will yield an annual revenue of at least $50m.

“And about $787m will be required as investment in our rail transportation infrastructure, with projected annual revenue of $400m.”

http://punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200711060314662

To Convince me, I propose the breakdown be made available to the public. I For one would like to see how these numbers were calculated and what incentive is available to people who choose to invest in the building of lagos.

Since we are still speaking of Nigeria, some of us would like to know that investing in such development projects will not come back to bite us in the behind in future.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by babasin(m): 7:12pm On Nov 06, 2007
And about $787m will be required as investment in our rail transportation infrastructure, with projected annual revenue of $400m.”

looks attractive but how do you get 'area boys' to pay for train ticket?

how do ensure, one big do not buy up all train ticket and resell double?
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Seun(m): 7:14pm On Nov 06, 2007
@topic: Heh. Idiocy.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Kobojunkie: 8:04pm On Nov 06, 2007
I don't believe Area boys will be a problem at all if the train system is built as the metro in London or the system in NY is today or even the train in chicago is. I think that is easily dealt with. What I would like to know is what security is in place to ensure that money invested is put towards the actual upgrade project and not sucked down into the pocket of another thief. Infact, I have been waiting to see a push to actually have the country upgraded and for me, this is yet another positive move BUT I am still hesitant cause I see a problem when the state, instead of making data available to the public and making sure to prove security for the public who choose to invest in these projects to encourage investing, focus more on the money and what they can dream up doing with it.

We know fraud is a big issue in that country and we have seen way too many skimpy plans but no substance. Address the fraud that has been behind the failure of past projects by making available data on each project to the public and making sure to provide security for all investors and then have the public hold the government accountable for success or failure of projects. I so want to be able to sue when projects are not carried out as stipulated.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Purist(m): 10:56pm On Nov 06, 2007
Gov. Raji Fashola has been doing a great job in Lagos so far, and I have no doubts that he can make Lagos a megacity if he remains focused.  Lagosians that are current with the affairs of the state will agree with me that this man means serious business.  I have been reading quite a lot about this megacity project lately and I strongly believe it can become a reality, provided the corruption syndrome is not injected into the system.  Just yesterday, he was shown on TV as he visited many parts of Lagos, finding out about the problems of the people and promising to solve their problems soonest.  The same yesterday, the following email addresses were provided on TV for the people to reach the governor on: [complaints@lagosstate.gov.ng, enquiry@lagosstate.gov.ng and a 3rd one I can't remember].

As for Seun's comment, it's understandable if he feels that way, since their own state governor has no such plans for them.  Never mind bro, you guys will definitely benefit from the project. grin
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by tosinadeda: 12:21am On Nov 07, 2007
It will take anoda messiah 4 dat 2 happen
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by fakedavid: 1:50am On Nov 07, 2007
sometimes I ask myself if the people on NairaLand are realy human beings from the way they argue.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by tosinadeda: 10:02am On Nov 07, 2007
Including u?
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Kobojunkie: 2:57pm On Nov 07, 2007
Purist:

Gov. Raji Fashola has been doing a great job in Lagos so far, and I have no doubts that he can make Lagos a megacity if he remains focused. Lagosians that are current with the affairs of the state will agree with me that this man means serious business. I have been reading quite a lot about this megacity project lately and I strongly believe it can become a reality, provided the corruption syndrome is not injected into the system. Just yesterday, he was shown on TV as he visited many parts of Lagos, finding out about the problems of the people and promising to solve their problems soonest. The same yesterday, the following email addresses were provided on TV for the people to reach the governor on: [complaints@lagosstate.gov.ng, enquiry@lagosstate.gov.ng and a 3rd one I can't remember].

As for Seun's comment, it's understandable if he feels that way, since their own state governor has no such plans for them. Never mind bro, you guys will definitely benefit from the project. grin

I do have a question for you Purist. Please provide us with proof that this is not just the usual we have gotten from past governors in that state?? I mean I do not know if you have been there for the past 10 before him but the song you just sang sounds exactly same as what they all came in with and did but all left accomplishing nothing in the end. What has actually been done??
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Purist(m): 9:07pm On Nov 13, 2007
Okay, let's just say that I'm being sanguine on this one. cheesy
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by angel101(f): 10:29am On Nov 14, 2007
Kobojunkie:

I do have a question for you Purist. Please provide us with proof that this is not just the usual we have gotten from past governors in that state?? I mean I do not know if you have been there for the past 10 before him but the song you just sang sounds exactly same as what they all came in with and did but all left accomplishing nothing in the end. What has actually been done??

The diff this time is that the gov is involving the private sector i.e private investors build operate and transfer. that in my opinion should ensure a proper job and limit fraud as it will only be in the interest of the investors to do so.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by vigasimple(m): 11:46am On Nov 14, 2007
Funny enough that what our entire electricity/power network requires is less than $50Billion dollars to generate 50,000MW enough for us to run everything.

What is the Federal Government takes on this.

Lagos can find their own $50Billion if they put their mind at it.

Definately Lagos need to get the FGN to renew Lagos-ibadan Express Road and at least another 2 expressway to access Lagos and special Truck and Buses Lane on the Express way and they should be mandated to travel at Nights in most cases.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Kobojunkie: 11:50am On Nov 14, 2007
angel101:

The diff this time is that the gov is involving the private sector i.e private investors build operate and transfer. that in my opinion should ensure a proper job and limit fraud as it will only be in the interest of the investors to do so.

Did you miss all of the part 20 years in Lagos or something?? The Government NEVER SAID it would do it alone all that time, infact, do you remember the whole NIGERIA NA WE OWN campaign of back in the years where there was a national Cry for people to get involved?? Please tell us something new instead of feeding us the same OLD PROMISES made by the government wrapped in NEW WRAPPERS. What has Actually be done so far? Can we say FOR SURE, without a doubt that things have changed in the past how many months this government has taken seat??

If you notice, my posts are not asking for more of the same old MOUTH SERVICE but actual SIGNS of what is GOING ON. I have watched that government for years and I am past the MOUTH SERVICE phase. I am looking for ACTION, things already in place and WORKING,
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by angel101(f): 12:33pm On Nov 14, 2007
Well a major road in VI is being upgraded by the public/private sector initiative.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Kobojunkie: 12:41pm On Nov 14, 2007
angel101:

Well a major road in VI is being upgraded by the public/private sector initiative.

A major road in VI Can you please post more information on this major road so we can really tell that this is not a case of the people doing for self what the government has yet been able to do for them, AGAIN
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by fakedavid: 12:46pm On Nov 14, 2007
all this diasporic people talking what they dont know - can u just shut up and stay put in your America?
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Kobojunkie: 12:58pm On Nov 14, 2007
Kobojunkie:

A major road in VI Can you please post more information on this major road so we can really tell that this is not a case of the people doing for self what the government has yet been able to do for them, AGAIN

This is to you still @Angel101
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by mrpataki(m): 1:03pm On Nov 14, 2007
All propaganda to buy away time!
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Purist(m): 3:19pm On Nov 14, 2007
Well, I really can't say much about the VI road, but angel101's statement was confirmed by another source (a Ghanian living in Lagos).

Also, much demolition (mostly of ancient builidings) have been going on lately in some areas of the city and some areas in the city now have light for at least 23hrs per day (some places in Ikorodu and other places) . Let's just wait and see how everything unfolds.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Kobojunkie: 3:35pm On Nov 14, 2007
mrpataki:

All propaganda to buy away time!

That is what I am hoping it is not, this time around. I mean I have read up on so many planned projects that have yet to be implemented from the past and I have come to the conclusion that truly, in the case of Nigeria, seeing is believing.

I believe we have many well meaning citizens in the state who from time to do, take on projects on their own and I have seen so many of those and I do not believe the government has any right to claim that as it's own achievement and so would rather get information confirming this is actually the government at work. Would be a miracle too.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by mrpataki(m): 3:42pm On Nov 14, 2007
Kobojunkie:

That is what I am hoping it is not, this time around. I mean I have read up on so many planned projects that have yet to be implemented from the past and I have come to the conclusion that truly, in the case of Nigeria, seeing is believing.

I believe we have many well meaning citizens in the state who from time to do, take on projects on their own and I have seen so many of those and I do not believe the government has any right to claim that as it's own achievement and so would rather get information confirming this is actually the government at work. Would be a miracle too.

Well, you will see and believe at the end of his years of service to the State. It tell you, nothing sensible is going to come forth from this project of his.

What is the point in investing into all this project, while the citizenry in itself is not empowered and educated enough to know how to adequately maintain and use the gadgets installed or put in place.

Until there is a total change to lifestyle in Lagos-Nigeria, nothing meaningful can be done in respect to megacity development.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Kobojunkie: 3:59pm On Nov 14, 2007
mrpataki:

Well, you will see and believe at the end of his years of service to the State. It tell you, nothing sensible is going to come forth from this project of his.

What is the point in investing into all this project, while the citizenry in itself is not empowered and educated enough to know how to adequately maintain and use the gadgets installed or put in place.

Until there is a total change to lifestyle in Lagos-Nigeria, nothing meaningful can be done in respect to megacity development.

I completely agree with you there. We do not have a maintanance culture and this has been the main reason why we are were we are today. 50 Billion Dollars is a whole Lot of Money and since we do not have access to this amount as we speak, I still hope we go ahead and maybe revive the much we can do with what we have to get some place.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by Christino(m): 4:04pm On Nov 14, 2007
Unless Oil is discovered in Ajegunle, $50b won't happen in 50 years.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by angel101(f): 2:00pm On Nov 15, 2007
@ kobojunkie
the major road in VI is Ozumba Nbadiwe road and work has started between The Law school and Mobil headquarters. I have seen this for myself.
Re: Lagos Needs $50bn To Become Megacity by mellow(m): 2:12pm On Nov 15, 2007
You guys keep talking and I will keep listening[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000]

(1) (2) (Reply)

God And Politics In Nigeria / Rccg Warns Ac Against Linking Adeboye With Corruption / Naptip To Jail People Who Have Housemaids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.