Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,514 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport (10379 Views)

My Horrible Experience At Murtala Mohammed Airport::::::(see pictures):::::::::: / Photos: Ocean Of Travellers Today At Murtala Mohammed Int'l Airport / Expanded Terminal Opens At Murtala Muhammad Airport Lagos(photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Kakatazz(f): 8:37am On Apr 13, 2012
I boarded the Turkish Airline from the UK to Nigeria on the 15th of March but to my utmost surprise passengers were complaining about missing items in their luggage.I decided to keep calm until my own luggage came.Because it was pretty late I had to leave the airport to go check at home.You wont believe that a new packet shirt that I brought in from the UK was stolen.I have a video of all that transpired at the airport,how victims were vetting out anger at the MMA officials for not catching the people behind it.I suspect the boyz that handle luggage.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by henrychubayo: 9:10am On Apr 13, 2012
Kakatazz: I boarded the Turkish Airline from the UK to Nigeria on the 15th of March but to my utmost surprise passengers were complaining about missing items in their luggage.I decided to keep calm until my own luggage came.Because it was pretty late I had to leave the airport to go check at home.You wont believe that a new packet shirt that I brought in from the UK was stolen.I have a video of all that transpired at the airport,how victims were vetting out anger at the MMA officials for not catching the people behind it.I suspect the boyz that handle luggage.

Shame to nigeria. Believe me you guys are cool because if you have all stood firm for like 30min to 1hour, officials at the airport would have taken these serious and arrest guys who off loaded the flight. Shame to nigeria customs and airport officials. Plz try and write a petition to aviation ministry and foreign affairs since you are one of those affected to avert such things from occuring in the future. Please remember to quote date and aircraft no. They guys are really hungry fools. Sorry bro.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by werepeLeri: 4:54pm On Apr 19, 2012
I got money stolen from my bag - 200 pounds - from Air France - you will be surprised to know that most of the theft happened before they got to
MMA. What time do dey have to search your bags at MMA when you arrive? Your bags come straight from the plane to the belt. Europens are thieves.

2 Likes

Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by werepeLeri: 4:55pm On Apr 19, 2012
henrychubayo:

Shame to nigeria. Believe me you guys are cool because if you have all stood firm for like 30min to 1hour, officials at the airport would have taken these serious and arrest guys who off loaded the flight. Shame to nigeria customs and airport officials. Plz try and write a petition to aviation ministry and foreign affairs since you are one of those affected to avert such things from occuring in the future. Please remember to quote date and aircraft no. They guys are really hungry fools. Sorry bro.

LOL - Between Nigerians and Turkish - who is more hungry and fraudulent?
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by mbulela: 5:09pm On Apr 19, 2012
MMA is bad but from my brief experience and gist from more frequent travellers, it is worse in other airports.
Luggage theft is one crime that has actually reduced over the last decade or so at MMA.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Kossy04: 5:15pm On Apr 19, 2012
Yes, yes, I've been a victim twice now. The first time it was an iPhone and Apple laptop. The second, they cleared every single electronic item I came with, right down to a Blackberry I bought my sister. The first, I didn't bother speaking up. The second, I just had to. I came to the airport the following day and reported to those bloody people downstairs {I don't know their name}. They said there was nothing they could do because I had left the baggage collection area before I reported to them. Now, when I go to Nigeria, the only gadgets I go with follows me on and off the plane. If I want to transport anything bigger, I do it via DHL, and I lock my luggage so thoroughly whenever I'm going to Nigeria, that the guys at JFK tend to pay some extra attention to them, perhaps to make sure there aren't any explodable devices in them.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Okijajuju1(m): 5:15pm On Apr 19, 2012
Never!!

But the dicovery channel documentary titled LAGOS AIRPORT is enough to putthe fear of God in travellers using MMA II
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Okijajuju1(m): 5:16pm On Apr 19, 2012
deleted
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Salmoneus(m): 5:19pm On Apr 19, 2012
Kakatazz: I boarded the Turkish Airline from the UK to Nigeria on the 15th of March but to my utmost surprise passengers were complaining about missing items in their luggage.I decided to keep calm until my own luggage came.Because it was pretty late I had to leave the airport to go check at home.You wont believe that a new packet shirt that I brought in from the UK was stolen.I have a video of all that transpired at the airport,how victims were vetting out anger at the MMA officials for not catching the people behind it.I suspect the boyz that handle luggage.

Why don't you suspect the Turkish baggage handlers?

1 Like

Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Okijajuju1(m): 5:19pm On Apr 19, 2012
Never!!

But the dicovery channel documentary titled LAGOS AIRPORT is enough to putthe fear of God in travellers using MMIA . . And like someone pointed out, most luggage theft is done at the check-in airport not the arrival. . . Except for those whose luggages arrive open (as in torn or destroyed).

Advice is Lock your luggage and always wrap it with them airport cling film especially if you have important stuff inside of it.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Kossy04: 5:25pm On Apr 19, 2012
@ werepeLeri

Salmoneus:

Okija_juju: Never!!

But the dicovery channel documentary titled LAGOS AIRPORT is enough to putthe fear of God in travellers using MMIA . . And like someone pointed out, most luggage theft is done at the check-in airport not the arrival. . . Except for those whose luggages arrive open (as in torn or destroyed).

Advice is Lock your luggage and always wrap it with them airport cling film especially if you have important stuff inside of it.

I've been all over the world, but my luggage has been broken into only on arriving Nigeria, Why?
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by TonySpike: 5:29pm On Apr 19, 2012
This sounds like a joke, but a friend of mine got his bag of Garri pilfered at OR Tambo int. Airport, Johannesburg. Luggage tampering is an international problem, not just in MMA.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Novice1(m): 5:37pm On Apr 19, 2012
Okija_juju: Never!!

Got any link for the Discovery Channel documentary?
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by cosemiha(m): 5:46pm On Apr 19, 2012
I had a similar experience two years ago. I strongly believe the deed was carried out at the Istanbul airport as the luggages spend so much time there.the Lagos end is doubtful though possible.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by wowo2: 5:54pm On Apr 19, 2012
I think some countries pull a fast one on Nigeria: happens mostly on stopover flights.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Nobody: 5:59pm On Apr 19, 2012
Tony Spike: This sounds like a joke, but a friend of mine got his bag of Garri pilfered at OR Tambo int. Airport, Johannesburg. Luggage tampering is an international problem, not just in MMA.
they steal garri too?is it that valuable there?
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by DSB(m): 6:22pm On Apr 19, 2012
E don happen to ma sista(they took her phones and candies..lol). I have vowed to never put any real valuables (esp. electronics) in my checked in bag again. SMDH!!!!
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by naijapay: 6:30pm On Apr 19, 2012
Never had any of my stuff stolen. I would say it is more likely for luggage to be tampered with at the departure location, not arrival.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by niggadee(m): 6:34pm On Apr 19, 2012
My jewellery inside my baggage bags was stolen there in 2006. mma workers are crooks.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by linkin8k(m): 6:49pm On Apr 19, 2012
werepeLeri: I got money stolen from my bag - 200 pounds - from Air France - you will be surprised to know that most of the theft happened before they got to
MMA. What time do dey have to search your bags at MMA when you arrive? Your bags come straight from the plane to the belt. Europens are thieves.

True. What time do they have to open the bags when its coming straight in from the plane
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by browncool(m): 7:08pm On Apr 19, 2012
Salmoneus:

If you have ever seen where baggages are transfered into the next flight on transit, you will obviously know that these bags are fully sealed in their respective containers in the cargo section of the airliner and can never be opened till it arrives last destination unless other wise. Only in MMA most of these thieving usually happens. Please do not ever check in your phones and laptops, I have seen people who has been victims upon arrival of MMA sometimes you wonder if these thieves has magic to know the bags that has phones especially.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by greentea1: 7:29pm On Apr 19, 2012
Same feeling [img]http://www.spgames.info/g.gif[/img]
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by tigerleggs(m): 7:47pm On Apr 19, 2012
henrychubayo:

Do you hate yourself this much? The hungry thieves in 9ja are better than you. What do you do for a living their? I doubt you've seen the inside of aircraft. I hereby rule you out of order.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by toosoon(m): 7:50pm On Apr 19, 2012
Worst Airport is Jo'burg, SA.
I had 2 cases of theft while coming to Nigeria with Arik Air and 1 case while travelling to Mozambique with SAA.

Also a theft case at Dar es Salaam, Tanzania Airport while coming from Addis Ababa with Ethiopian Airline, this is rare case because my luggage came on an earlier flight.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by omar22(m): 8:01pm On Apr 19, 2012
Why would you put

Money

Phone

Laptop

in your luggage when they could all go in the hand luggage.... even shoes goes in one shoe goes into one suit case each not both pair and they would have to damage the suitcase or the padlock
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Nobody: 8:32pm On Apr 19, 2012
browncool:
If you have ever seen where baggages are transfered into the next flight on transit, you will obviously know that these bags are fully sealed in their respective containers in the cargo section of the airliner and can never be opened till it arrives last destination unless other wise. Only in MMA most of these thieving usually happens. Please do not ever check in your phones and laptops, I have seen people who has been victims upon arrival of MMA sometimes you wonder if these thieves has magic to know the bags that has phones especially.

Maybe they are some kind of X-Men with x-ray eyes.LOL
Never experienced stealing, all my valuables are kept in my hand luggage. But I once saw a guy crying cos his hand luggage was stolen inside the plane. I wonder how that could have happened.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Nobody: 8:55pm On Apr 19, 2012
I have never lost any item to thieves at the airport.

However, if my memory serves me right....there was a guy when I was in Uni whose holiday job involved slitting envelopes to search for valuables b4 the luggage(s) hit the pick-up area. I think they used to smuggle dem into the plane as d passengers are steeping down then; I remember the guy had a couple of taxis in the 90s while we were students.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Okijajuju1(m): 8:58pm On Apr 19, 2012
Let's cool down with the attacks on Nigeria biko nu... Luggage theft is rare at the arrival airport for the following reason;

Your luggage moves from the plane straight to the conveyor belt upon arrival. There is barely anytime for the handlers to rifle through your bags except your box is damaged such that its torn or open upon removing it from the cargo box.

But when you check in your luggagre at the departure airport, your luggae has a lot of down time, moves through a series of checks and sorting before entering the cargo box. Like at Charles de gaulle and Pearson airport where like an airfrance check-in stand is checking passenger on 4 different destinations at the same time, the handlers have ample time to steal your stuff. This is because all the luggages go on the same belt and has to be scanned and sorted later at the back. I have even seen an airport survellance video of an airport in the US where the handlers were breaking peoples zippers and picking stuff out of their luggages before putting in into the crates. Anybody who ever saw that discovery channel documentary "lagos Airport" which by the way was shot way back when Murtala Mohammed was still a shitty airport would understand that then it was easy to steal peoples luggages outright because the airport was poorly organized and was always crowded as they didn't restrict entry into the airport like they do now.

I find it unfair to attribute luggage theft to us.. Especially if your box was tampered with on arrival here as against arrival at your other destination.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by Konnektions146(m): 10:04pm On Apr 19, 2012
lugage theft and tamper is not perculiar to nigerian airports, its a global issue, moreso, if u watch how lugages work, it goes from de aircraft tru the ramp to de conveyor belt, so dere wont be much time for tamperin to be done,

my aunt once travelled to cape town and her lugages got to Tambo airport J'burg but ddnt arrive cape town, till today, no sshow.

so its general occurence
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by moremi2008(m): 10:10pm On Apr 19, 2012
Yes, a lot of the theft at MMIA happens after you check your bag on the way out! Two years ago, I was feeling like a big boy and traveled with expensive luggage on a BA flight. Everything was fine on my in but on my way out, the secure, TSA-approved padlock on my bag was cut open with what looked like industrial wire cutters. They stole my used camera and opened perfumes. They probably thought they were going to find very expensive things in an expensive bag! But God catch them, I kept my true valuables in my hand luggage. Lesson learned! Now I have a special set of cheap Walmart luggage I use for Naija trips! I also make sure that any family members that follow me to the airport dress conservatively in ankara fabric so I don't attract negative attention. No more thefts since then.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by hrhobi1(m): 10:30pm On Apr 19, 2012
My Luggae was intact but one old lady bag don emtpy, she only saw empty evelopes , she was shouting that the evelopes belong to people in Naija , that her neighbours gave to her to deliver for them, she doesnt even know what was in those evelopes.
Re: Stealing At Murtala Mohammed Airport by naijapay: 11:07pm On Apr 19, 2012
hrhobi1: My Luggae was intact but one old lady bag don emtpy, she only saw empty evelopes , she was shouting that the evelopes belong to people in Naija , that her neighbours gave to her to deliver for them, she doesnt even know what was in those evelopes.

Poor woman! I wonder what she's gonna tell the envelope owners! One does not need to risk taking plenty of cash with them when travelling these days. You can send money to Naija ahead of your trip, or log in to your overseas bank account and send it to yourself when you arrive in Naija! There are also traveller's cheques etc.

No need to risk losing your hard-earned money to thieves who ransack your luggage at airports.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Apply For / Renew A Nigerian Passport In The UK 2022 / Brazil Visa Needed / NCAA Denies Ghana Banned Nigerian Flights Over Ebola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.