Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,922 members, 7,821,228 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:07 AM

Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms (11813 Views)

50 NSCDC Officers To Ondo Over Illegal Mining / Just In: DSS Papers Proves Kanu Was Never In Possession Of Any Weapons / Dasuki Releases Breakdown Of Arms Purchases, Says “nigerians Will Hear A Lot” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Nobody: 9:10am On Apr 13, 2012
Nigerian Court jails U.S. Army Major over illegal possession of ammunition
[img]http://pointblanknews.com/new/thumbnail.php?file=Nigerian_Court_141732189.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]
A serving Major in the U.S. Army, Wisdom Osagiede-Ogbewekom, was on Wednesday sentenced to 10 years in gaol by an Ikeja Magistrates' Court, for illegal possession of ammunition.

The Magistrate, Mrs A.T. Omoyele, found the 46-year-old soldier guilty of illegal possession of 95 rounds of .9mm live ammunition.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Osagiede-Ogbewekom, who was the head of the U.S. Army Civil Affairs team in Kirkuk, Iraq, was arraigned on Jan. 4.

The prosecution, led by Mr Roman Unuigbe, had preferred a two-count charge of unlawful possession of firearms against him.

Omoyele held that the prosecution had proven its case beyond reasonable doubts.

She said: ``A prima facie has been established against the defendant. He did not deny the possession of the 95 rounds of ammunition without licence.

``Although the defendant is aware that he had no valid licence to carry firearms within the country, it was clear he never intended to turn it over to the police before his arrest.''

She held that the offence contravened Section 4 of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provisions) Act, Cap. R11, Vol. 14, Laws of the Federation, 2004.

Unuigbe had claimed that the accused was arrested last December in Lagos for possessing the ammunition.

The prosecution witness, Insp. Friday Abiodun, had told the court that the police had on Dec. 19, arrested one Amen Osagiede-Ogbewekon at Edegbe Motors Transport Park at Sabo, Yaba in Lagos.

Abiodun had alleged that Amen, who was arrested with the sophisticated bullets, admitted that it belonged to his brother, a soldier in the U.S.
Army.

He had said that Abiodun's explanation subsequently led to the arrest of Osagiede-Ogbewekon and that the police wrote to the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria to confirm his identity.

According to him, the embassy wrote back to confirm that the accused was a serving major and was in Nigeria on annual leave.

Abiodun had said that during interrogation, the accused confessed that he bought the bullets through the U.S. Army and that they were brought into the country for self protection.

The witness had claimed that the bullets were sophisticated and could only be used on a Berretta or an SMG, which were only assigned to top security operatives in Nigeria. (NAN)
http://pointblanknews.com/new/exclusive/4042-nigerian-court-jails-u-s-army-major-over-illegal-possession-of-ammunition.html

1 Like

Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by doctokwus: 10:39am On Apr 13, 2012
Which kind of stupid post is this.How can a serving us major b arrested in nigeria& sentenced.Promotion comes by d kobo in nigeria dat some dnt know what it takes to reach d rank of a major& dat no embassy will allow a serving officer to b so arraigned.My guess is dat its either d so calld cousin dat was arraigned or this is jst anoda horrible ,nauseating post frm s/body dat jst refused to read& ask himself some commonsensical questions b4 posting.

2 Likes

Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Jakumo(m): 11:06am On Apr 13, 2012
If this man is in fact a serving US Army major, then he will be released before long. US military personnel are often REQUIRED to carry side arms for personal protection, regardless of whether they are on or off duty. Given the current wave of suicide bombings recorded over the past year, Nigeria is one of the countries where such security precautions will no doubt be prescribed, so this purported "offence" will be handled in that light.

The United States and Nigeria share close military, political and commercial ties, which will mitigate the outcome of this arrest in favor of the defendant, IF his identity checks out.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by violent(m): 12:07pm On Apr 13, 2012
Jakumo: If this man is in fact a serving US Army major, then he will be released before long. US military personnel are often REQUIRED to carry side arms for personal protection, regardless of whether they are on or off duty. Given the current wave of suicide bombings recorded over the past year, Nigeria is one of the countries where such security precautions will no doubt be prescribed, so this purported "offence" will be handled in that light.

The United States and Nigeria share close military, political and commercial ties, which will mitigate the outcome of this arrest in favor of the defendant, IF his identity checks out.

This information is NOT factually correct! US military actually does have a very strict process for individual possession of side arms.

Ordinarily, a military officer in the US may buy and own a firearm like any other civilian, but you can't carry this with you everywhere you go. As a matter of fact, you will be arrested if you are caught carrying a personal side arm in a US barrack without the approval of a provost marshal. In combat zones or during special operations, a few US officials, mostly medics are allowed to carry registered firearms that must be returned to the arms room after operations.

Neither the US nor its embassies will put up an official excuse for this dude; as a matter of fact, if the US military requires him to carry a side arm while in his hometown -- a situation that is very unlikely except if he was there on special assignments--- the US would have obtained approval from the Nigerian government. Nigeria is a sovereign country with its own constitution!

All that said, I'm still looking around for information on how one may obtain license to carry arms in Nigeria, if anybody has this, it will be very helpful

4 Likes

Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Dede1(m): 1:56pm On Apr 13, 2012
violent:

This information is NOT factually correct! US military actually does have a very strict process for individual possession of side arms.

Ordinarily, a military officer in the US may buy and own a firearm like any other civilian, but you can't carry this with you everywhere you go. As a matter of fact, you will be arrested if you are caught carrying a personal side arm in a US barrack without the approval of a provost marshal. In combat zones or during special operations, a few US officials, mostly medics are allowed to carry registered firearms that must be returned to the arms room after operations.

Neither the US nor its embassies will put up an official excuse for this dude; as a matter of fact, if the US military requires him to carry a side arm while in his hometown -- a situation that is very unlikely except if he was there on special assignments--- the US would have obtained approval from the Nigerian government. Nigeria is a sovereign country with its own constitution!

All that said, I'm still looking around for information on how one may obtain license to carry arms in Nigeria, if anybody has this, it will be very helpful

Thanks very much for the above write-up. It is very rare to read accurate information from NL without undue influence of tribal bias. However, I guess Nigeria government is very silly with its ban on public possession of firearm. How about the law, Section 4 of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provisions) Act, Cap. R11, Vol. 14, Laws of the Federation, 2004? It sucks because every firearm case does not necessarily relate to robbery.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Eltonluigi(m): 2:49pm On Apr 13, 2012
Another failed spy mission by the CIA, the US goverment won't claim any responsibity.

1 Like

Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by harakiri(m): 2:51pm On Apr 13, 2012
This unsafe country sef. If you no get gun, wahala. You get gun, wahala.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Kenyy: 2:51pm On Apr 13, 2012
...I guess the table would have been different if the person in question was to be a White American US ARMY MAJOR...A case of let them jail him, he is their son...Mind you, that name above must definitely be from Edo State; in fact, HE IS A BINI MAN! I hope this is not the continued conspiracy OF THE SOUTH WEST against the SOUTH SOUTH?
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by omar22(m): 3:01pm On Apr 13, 2012
Last June at Muritala Muhammad Int. Airport. My friend, his brother and me. My friend’s brother was heading to America but we were returning back to the UK. When they were checking our suit cases, my friends brother was ahead of us in the queue and this guy haven’t been to Nigeria since 1994, he only came home for his mother’s birthday, because he has been deployed to various places all over the world because he is a service officer of the US Army.
On the line at the airport, they looked at his suit case, and then they dropped the ultimate question on him!

Immigration - “Entertain us” (meaning they want egunje)
US Army (typical akata boy) - he said no point blank!
Immigration - They said he is not allowed to carry this this this and that to the US.
US Army – Said they should show a list of what he can’t take to the US
Immigration (Lady) – We can make you miss your flight
US Army – You wouldn’t dare do that.
Immigration – Closed his suitcase and demanded to see his passport
US Army – The immigration officer over there has already seen my passport
Immigration – started shouting saying they would jail him, do you know who I am
US Army – I don’t care who you are, you don’t know who you were dealing with.
Immigration – You are not going to travel today
US Army – why
My friend and I looked with amazement, I was about to tell the guy to settle them and let peace be but he said no (out loud)
A top immigration officer showed up and the idiot said – you are not allowed to carry this into the US, the US army said he wanted to see the list of things he cannot carry? Then he said theirs a US army base in East Africa, they would send officials to come pick him up and he showed them his ID card. Their behaviour changed completely they started respecting the guy, it was so embarrassing my friend and I who were travelling an hour later, got no grieve from the immigration officers they only said to us that we should enjoy our flight.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by sample042(m): 3:01pm On Apr 13, 2012
eGuerrilla: Nigerian Court jails U.S. Army Major over illegal possession of ammunition
[img]http://pointblanknews.com/new/thumbnail.php?file=Nigerian_Court_141732189.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]

http://pointblanknews.com/new/exclusive/4042-nigerian-court-jails-u-s-army-major-over-illegal-possession-of-ammunition.html

Dis s d kind of justice we need in nigeria. Justice witout fear of d unknown.
If tinz continues ds way am very sure dt perpetrators of evil, looters, smugglers n cabals will soon go into extinction.
Patriotic nigerian
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by andyanders: 3:02pm On Apr 13, 2012
this country is sick. How can u arraign someone you did not arrest robbing anybody to 'Robbery and Firearms (Special Provisions) Act'

Go arrest BH you cannot jail them. Even the so called American , na Edo guy wey return to 9ija
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by ckkris: 3:06pm On Apr 13, 2012
Iranian SECURITY OFFICER imports powerful bombs into Nigeria, and nothing happens to him. U S Army Major, who has seen more action than Nigeria's coup-minded generals, is seen with just one gun, then suddenly Nigeria's Police dust up their prosecution notes, and in record FOUR MONTHS, heavy sentence of 10 years is delivered. I de laugh like Obasanjo. Ibrahim Bui may be promoted & retired. Meanwhile there will be no evidence to prosecute red-handed pension scams, & terrorists that have killed thousands of Nigerians. Now, I chuckle like Clinton.

2 Likes

Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Okijajuju1(m): 3:08pm On Apr 13, 2012
Inasmuch as he brought in firearms and ammunition into the country illegally, I dont think he would spend more than 1month in jail.

The embassy would negotiate his release and deportation the United States were he would undergo a Military court marshall and sentence in accordance with the U.S military laws.

97rounds of ammo!! Did he think he was going into Libya?!
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Wallie(m): 3:12pm On Apr 13, 2012
Eltonluigi: Another failed spy mission by the CIA, the US goverment won't claim any responsibity.

Guy, you no try at all!!!

If the guy was a CIA operative or on any US sanctioned mission, he would NOT be abandoned especially since Nigeria is not hostile towards the US. Actually, he would have been released and claimed to have diplomatic immunity.

Even in countries like Pakistan and Iran that are hostile towards the US, the US government still pressured the governments or their friends to release the Americans arrested.

In Iran, a couple of American “hikers” were just released for "straying" in Iranian boarders. In Pakistan, a US “contractor” chased and killed two would-be robbers in broad daylight during their getaway and the guy is now in the US. No one could really explain who the guy was or what he was doing in Pakistan!

1 Like

Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Kenyy: 3:16pm On Apr 13, 2012
Okija_juju: The embassy would negotiate his release and deportation the United States

This would have been the case if the person in question was to be a White American US ARMY MAJOR-the man in question is a Bini man from Edo State, South South, Nigeria.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Wallie(m): 3:17pm On Apr 13, 2012
What some of you fail to realize is that the guy might have been trafficking arms illegally! When you're on leave from the military and off military barracks, you're just like any other US citizen and as such, will only be afforded the same diplomatic access to the US embassy that every US citizen gets.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Wallie(m): 3:25pm On Apr 13, 2012
Kenyy:

This would have been the case if the person in question was to be a White American US ARMY MAJOR-the man in question is a Bini man from Edo State, South South, Nigeria.

The issue of color has zero bearing on what might or might not be done! If he was on assignment (covert or not), the embassy will be actively seeking his release. Period. If he is a VIP, then there might be political pressure to get him freed. Being a major does not make you VIP unless you have influential friends.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by duality(m): 3:28pm On Apr 13, 2012
they should go to our campuses. they'll convict a lot of gun men.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Phonon: 3:32pm On Apr 13, 2012
Nobody is asking the right questions.How did he get the ammunition through security onto an aircraft that left the US for Nigeria?Is he a member of the US Diplomatic Corps here in Nigeria?If he is (or was) then it must have passed through immigration in a diplomatic bag.If not,this whole thing is plain STUPID!The US Military always makes sure their personnel face justice in the US and not on foreign soil.This whole thing does not add up.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Kenyy: 3:38pm On Apr 13, 2012
Phonon: The US Military always makes sure their personnel face justice in the US and not on foreign soil.This whole thing does not add up.

Well said!

1 Like

Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by PhysicsQED(m): 3:38pm On Apr 13, 2012
Kenyy: ...I guess the table would have been different if the person in question was to be a White American US ARMY MAJOR...A case of let them jail him, he is their son...Mind you, that name above must definitely be from Edo State; in fact, HE IS A BINI MAN! I hope this is not the continued conspiracy OF THE SOUTH WEST against the SOUTH SOUTH?

Leave tribalism out of this. There's no conspiracy. Just a weird law. He shouldn't get 10 years, at most he should be fined and made to do some kind of community service since he's clearly not a criminal and not engaged in any real criminal activities. The punishment is way out of proportion.

@ post, I don't know if there's any way for an ordinary citizen (not a soldier, policeman, security operative, etc.) to obtain a license to carry guns in Nigeria but I got the impression that one couldn't just do that anyhow so I'm a bit puzzled by the way the story makes it seem like he could have obtained a license. Does anyone know if just anyone can get a license?

and smh @ being arrested just because he wanted to feel safe.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by D1KeleVra(m): 3:40pm On Apr 13, 2012
Dede1:

Thanks very much for the above write-up. It is very rare to read accurate information from NL without undue influence of tribal bias. However, I guess Nigeria government is very silly with its ban on public possession of firearm. How about the law, Section 4 of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provisions) Act, Cap. R11, Vol. 14, Laws of the Federation, 2004? It sucks because every firearm case does not necessarily relate to robbery.

I really don't think it sucks that it's not legal to own a firearm. I think Nigeria and Nigerians are still growing and learning. As you can see from the daily hustle and bustle attitude our people, coupled with impatience and the "do-you-know-who-I-am" syndrome, people would be shooting each other like it was legal to do so. Someone has a very bad day at work + probably trying to deal with the frustration of impotence grin grin uhm. . . gets his car scratched by a danfo, he might get all trigger-happy.

Like I said we are still learning, it's not very long ago that Nigerians started wearing their seat belts willingly, without thinking of LASTMA. A few years ago this wasn't the case. Also the same with littering (throwing trash out your car windows) . Not to say people are still not doing these, but we are still learning not only what is right, but what is reasonable.

Legalising firearms at this level of our development, to me, is not advisable. I might not be right but that's my view, maybe not the intention of the Law Makers. Altho there's the need for solutions to self protection. I have been thinking of how to legally get a hold tasers for this purpose.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by PhysicsQED(m): 3:41pm On Apr 13, 2012
Wallie: What some of you fail to realize is that the guy might have been trafficking arms illegally! When you're on leave from the military and off military barracks, you're just like any other US citizen and as such, will only be afforded the same diplomatic access to the US embassy that every US citizen gets.

He's not an arms trafficker. He's actually of (Benin) royal descent and is a career army officer in the U.S.

Ironically enough, he had initially wanted to join the Nigerian army:

http://www.stripes.com/news/captain-gives-troops-iraqis-the-royal-treatment-1.34116

He's more or less a good guy in a bad situation.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Siga: 3:46pm On Apr 13, 2012
Me no understand all these stories...not adding up at all...how did he get those bullets outta US...the way they scan things and check...95 rounds....haba...person wey put cocaine inside her t0t0 sef...dem catch am....US...is this another covert move?
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Nobody: 3:50pm On Apr 13, 2012
Crazy and corrupt set of lawyers. This country is sick. 10 years for illegal possession of arms? While corrupt politicians gets nothing!
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Wallie(m): 3:58pm On Apr 13, 2012
PhysicsQED:

He's not an arms trafficker. He's actually of (Benin) royal descent and is a career army officer in the U.S.

Ironically enough, he had initially wanted to join the Nigerian army:

http://www.stripes.com/news/captain-gives-troops-iraqis-the-royal-treatment-1.34116

He's more or less a good guy in a bad situation.

Actually, he's not a "career" army officer because he's in the army reserve. In the reserves, you only serve part-time as opposed to active-duty soldiers who serve full-time. Either way, he does seem to be an outstanding soldier that merely broke the law.

From what I've read about soldiers during war time, they do feel naked walking around without a gun when on leave away from the battle field! That’s why most war veterans usually own assault riffles in the US and also walk around "packing".

If I were his attorney, I will be seeking to prove that battle field paranoia of "unseen" enemies or PTSD if you like made him fearful of being a victim in Nigeria. Sure he broke the law, but he had mitigating circumstances to do so and as such, should be left off with time served! grin

I hope he has a good lawyer because I think that he can easily get off!

2 Likes

Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by lagcity(m): 4:09pm On Apr 13, 2012
ha ha ha. see this jokers. u think i am coming to Naija jungle without loading up on Ammo? dream on. u useless police better go and face boko haram.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by coolguy2002: 4:17pm On Apr 13, 2012
i dnt beleive this story
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by PhysicsQED(m): 4:21pm On Apr 13, 2012
Wallie:
Actually, he's not a "career" army officer because he's in the army reserve. In the reserves, you only serve part-time as opposed to active-duty soldiers who serve full-time.

?

I'm not getting this. How did you deduce that he was in the army reserve?

He does seem to be a career army officer unless I'm missing something. Anyway, like you said, I hope he gets a good lawyer that can get this 10 years nonsense overturned quickly.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by violent(m): 4:36pm On Apr 13, 2012
Phonon: Nobody is asking the right questions.How did he get the ammunition through security onto an aircraft that left the US for Nigeria?Is he a member of the US Diplomatic Corps here in Nigeria?If he is (or was) then it must have passed through immigration in a diplomatic bag.If not,this whole thing is plain STUPID!The US Military always makes sure their personnel face justice in the US and not on foreign soil.This whole thing does not add up.

That's just bollocks! Members of the United states do not have diplomatic immunity from arrest and prosecution from a foreign country, especially when they are not on assignment or serving the US interest or being held for political reasons!!! If the dude is breaking Nigerian law, United states cannot claim jurisdiction for his arrest or prosecution.

@ post, I don't know if there's any way for an ordinary citizen (not a soldier, policeman, security operative, etc.) to obtain a license to carry guns in Nigeria but I got the impression that one couldn't just do that anyhow so I'm a bit puzzled by the way the story makes it seem like he could have obtained a license. Does anyone know if just anyone can get a license?

There's actually a way for an ordinary citizen to obtain license for guns. In the snipped attachment below, the 1990 constitution states that individuals can own fire arms if granted a license by the President or the Inspector General of Police.

Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by PhysicsQED(m): 4:44pm On Apr 13, 2012
violent:
There's actually a way for an ordinary citizen to obtain license for guns. In the snipped attachment below, the 1990 constitution states that individuals can own fire arms if granted a license by the President or the Inspector General of Police.

Having to beg the president for a license is unrealistic/impractical and probably wouldn't amount to anything even if one's requests actually managed to reach the president so that can definitely be ruled out.

Now as for the IGP, that's useful information that I may need to verify sometime in the future if Nigeria still exists as a country. Thanks.
Re: Ikeja Court Jails US Major For 10 Years Over Illegal Possession Of Arms by Jakumo(m): 4:55pm On Apr 13, 2012
For the issuance of a Nigerian hunting firearm license, presidential permission is NOT required, UNLESS the weapon is a pistol or concealable sub-machinegun, in which case ONLY retired and serving SENIOR military officers need apply to the office of El Presidente.

As the proud owner of four licensed large-caliber fire-sticks who has also investigated at length the permit requirements for handguns in Nigeria, I speak with authority on this subject.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re-development Of N29B Ketu-Ikorodu Road Underway / Atiku To Speak At Chatham House! / Barnabas Bala Bantex Apologises Over Remarks On World Bank Loan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.