Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,792 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:16 PM

What Not To Say In An Interview - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Not To Say In An Interview (14315 Views)

Is It Right To Say Thank You To Your Boss When Collecting Your Salary? / 9 Smart Ways To Say No To Your Boss Without Losing Your Job / Questions A Job Seeker Shouldn't Ask In An Interview. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by DisGuy: 11:36pm On May 22, 2012
D.pinaku:
In addition to what @op has said, the followings are also true.
1. Don't answer questions with just YES and NO.
2. Always have a question to ask, it shows you are interested in the company.
3. Don't sit down until you are told to do so.
4. When you enter the interview room, close the door (if applicable) without taking your eyes of or backingthe interviewers. It shows you are security conscious.
5. Don't be soft spoken. Speak up confidently too.
6. Shake hands firmly if the interviewer offers his/her hand.
7. Remember you are the applicant, don't go interviewing the interviewer.
8. Sit upright and confidently.
9. Make eye contact with the interviewer.
10. don't act as if you are so desperate for the job.
11. Don't discuss your personal and family issues.
If for any reason you are offered a meal. Do remember your table manners and proper use of cutleries.
If you are invited for an interview and nobody seems to attend to you. Don't fidget and complain. Someone may be watching.
(Some guyz were invited for an interview and were not attended to. They were there till late in the evening. Some people left, while the very few who stayed back where given appointment letters without further interiew- in fact, that was their interview. Happened in one of the big telecommunication firms.

4. hmmm yea right!! are you interviewing for maig guard or database analyst? grin

11. 80% of CVs i've seen on this site have tribe, religion, marital status,number of kids, age, LGA grin

big telco firm, you just turn up at a company and nobody will even acknowledge your presence? hmm

1 Like

Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by latino91(m): 11:45pm On May 22, 2012
most invaluable..plus d responses too
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Nobody: 11:51pm On May 22, 2012
Dis Guy:

4. hmmm yea right!! are you interviewing for maig guard or database analyst? grin

11. 80% of CVs i've seen on this site have tribe, religion, marital status,number of kids, age, LGA grin

big telco firm, you just turn up at a company and nobody will even acknowledge your presence? hmm
Just like you noted, CVs are not meant to contain marital status, state, origin and the likes...
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by mandsignal(m): 11:59pm On May 22, 2012
especially 7 and 10 very important ..goodluck no be your brother and also speakin of beta english . No be cam_bridge kind of grammer sha . Goodluck
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by iKoksi(m): 1:24am On May 23, 2012
Good Post
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by melvournis(f): 7:29am On May 23, 2012
marvis5077: tanx 4 dis very important info. Another point is to avoid laughing unessasrily when a funny question is asked. Nd to also avoid reacting aggressively when a ridiculous question is asked. Imagine an interviewer asking such a question '4rm ur cv u ar 35yrs nd still single, why?'
It is amazing![img]http://www.50centloseweight.com[/img]
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by rexfada(m): 8:21am On May 23, 2012
Havilah93:
best of all tomorrow, just add the comment above this post ^^to the ones already mentioned, and with God on your side......... ..
thanx dude 4 d encouragement. Am actually getting fully 'armed' here
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by cindyrella(f): 10:24am On May 23, 2012
cheesy wow very enlightening.. Best post of the week....
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Emylexray(m): 10:40am On May 23, 2012
I'm savouring this post and comments. Indeed! A nice thread.
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Tingles(m): 11:52am On May 23, 2012
BIGER BOY: How do u respond to the' desert' question, like ; what 2 tins would u need if u were stuck in a desert?

I got d question in an interview recently(I was tempted to answer a picture of my ex, to motivate me to stay longer). But seriously what's the best answer?

A water dispenser to remain alive and a solar powered GPS to get out of the desert?
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by bayor48(m): 7:25pm On May 23, 2012
Can u imagine a lady was disqualify becos she did not no the name of the perfume she was wearing, long red painting nails,high hills shoes,blonde hair,too much painting on her face. And again never u discuss about football in an interview room bt wen ask, ure reply should be "i support the club dat play well"
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by geepawps(m): 9:35pm On May 23, 2012
You really shared some valuable points here and I am so glad.
In addition, most graduate don't know what to say when they are asked about their strengths and weaknesses.
Also, try to know what to say about yourself when you are asked and please don't say jargons about been honest or a good christian or I am from a family of two or my father married two wives. Try to talk about things you can do or offer.
Try to always give your all and prepare well.
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by rexfada(m): 5:25am On May 24, 2012
guys i had my first interview yesterday and i think i 'killed' it cos of the impression on the interviewer's face. But i still need ur prayers o
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Havilah93(m): 7:37am On May 24, 2012
rexfada: guys i had my first interview yesterday and i think i 'killed' it cos of the impression on the interviewer's face. But i still need ur prayers o
prayers, you will get- but i hope the interview went well lyk u said
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by otodeluxe(m): 7:43am On May 24, 2012
Nice one! Really useful
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Maisuya1: 10:55am On May 24, 2012
A friend of mine was offered a place in a very big company, the position is intern like for some months after which if he performed well it will be made a permanent position, the reverse is also true. His dilemma now is should he leave his current permanent job with the FG for the big coy job? He sought my advice and I told him think deeply first. What do u think.
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Victorjoseph(m): 11:06am On May 24, 2012
[color=#990000][/color] lipsrsealed That's true.And another thing you must also do is dat dont 4get to fill your face with smile.It may even be because of ur smile you will be given the job
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by DisGuy: 11:08am On May 24, 2012
Mai-suya:
A friend of mine was offered a place in a very big company, the position is intern like for some months after which if he performed well it will be made a permanent position, the reverse is also true. His dilemma now is should he leave his current permanent job with the FG for the big coy job? He sought my advice and I told him think deeply first. What do u think.

You might what to start a new topic for this one

is he capable of meeting the job specification and surpassing them with the time frame of his probabtion period?

1 Like

Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by tanimola22: 12:20pm On May 24, 2012
Mai-suya:

Well, if he was excellent by the standards of the very big company, they would not even think of making him an internship offer. They would make him a permanent job offer straight, and sometimes on the spot. Internships are originally for students/graduates who have not really been extensively tested and found trusted, people that organizations are still unsure of their capabilities.

If your friend leaves his certain job for something he is not sure of, or worse still, for something he doesn't know his chance of getting, then he may not smile at the end of everything. How is he sure that the organization told him the truth? Does he even know the thought of the person proposing him an internship offer? Does he not know that the organization can as well say that his performance is just average after the internship and then tell him thank you and make him zero offer?

In my view, taking this risk is good for someone who has no good offer or who has no permanent job. How can a full time worker somewhere suddenly decide to go and do an internship somewhere else in hopes of landing a permanent job offer? This is a trick played by fresh graduates, not someone who is already in a professional capacity.

Unless I can take a leave of absence that spans the duration of the internship, I will never leave a permanent job for an internship. If they value me, they will make me an offer. They will not first demote me to an intern. Geez, not even a graduate entry level position. Interns, in addition to other things, are known to fetch coffee, run errands and engage in other unprofessional acts for their superiors. Why the hell would I want to subject myself to such things all in the name of probably landing an offer?

T22

2 Likes

Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Maisuya1: 12:43pm On May 24, 2012
^
nice advice T, any way it's not actually an intern but some sort probation or graduate scheme... But non the less I guess a bird in hand is better than two in the bush!

^^
sorry D, didn't mean to derail the thread...
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by rexfada(m): 6:45pm On May 25, 2012
Havilah93:
prayers, you will get- but i hope the interview went well lyk u said
Bro i just got a call from the MD of the company informing me of success and also congratulating me. But the pay (according to what they told me in the interview) is 38k, so am considering not taking the offer now. I dont know whether to continue with my cisco and leave the job (though i can still carry on while doing the job) or to just take the offer. 38k in port-harcourt no much o.
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Nobody: 11:08pm On May 26, 2012
having just spent much of april and may attending interviews (100% success), i have to say the OP is dead on point. No 8 (negative points) is absolutely imperative that you have an answer for that highlights your ability to transform negatives into strengths.
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by doofanc: 12:59pm On May 27, 2012
rexfada: Bro i just got a call from the MD of the company informing me of success and also congratulating me. But the pay (according to what they told me in the interview) is 38k, so am considering not taking the offer now. I dont know whether to continue with my cisco and leave the job (though i can still carry on while doing the job) or to just take the offer. 38k in port-harcourt no much o.

na wa o! 38k in a notoriously expensive place like PH? But since, as you say, you were told about the pay package of job during the interview and still decided to pursue it, i'm guessing your present cisco job isn't a much better alternative, abi?

Whatever the case, i'll suggest you make a very careful analysis of the offer and its location before committing yourself. All the best.
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by doofanc: 1:39pm On May 27, 2012
GboyegaD:

No employer has right to ask you such question as that is too personal. If you ask me, I will politely tell you I do not respond to such question because it is too personal.

don't be too sure o! in fact i'm tempted to beleive its a standard question by employers based on the number of females i've come across who've been asked such. Even my own sister when she went for interview with first bank, despite the fact she was just in her mid twenties was asked the question. She simply said it was not her time yet and that ended it. (she didn't get the job -- though i den't think it was due to that question, lol!).

To be honest though, I dont think, at least based on the nature of the job, that its necessarily too personal a question as long as all further enquiries in that direction ends with a simple answer from the lady -- however unacceptable to the interviewer it may be.. If however the lady is continuously badgered with the same or even more personal questions, then that clearly crosses the line and could indeed, esp if a male interviewer, be tending towards harassment.
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by doofanc: 1:40pm On May 27, 2012
Deleted
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by doofanc: 1:44pm On May 27, 2012
Double post
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Saraha1(f): 6:42pm On May 27, 2012
Thanks very much at learnt alot from your guidelines.
Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Kingdonken(m): 5:12am On May 30, 2012
Wow! It is really educative,I like this. I think this point also will be very vital. Try to digest a question before you give out your answer, if you didnt get the question, tell the person that you didnt get the question. If you are ask 2 explain 'B' explain the b dont add 'c' . Tanx

1 Like

Re: What Not To Say In An Interview by Jihbee: 7:53pm On Jun 02, 2012
Nyc post...many pple are unemployed bcs dy dnt knw sum f ds tns.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Here Na Die (Apmt) Ap Moller Terminal Apapa / A Proven Way To Achieve Your Goals / 7 Easy-to-learn Skills For Students Awaiting Admission, NYSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.