Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:55 AM

List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors (1028 Views)

Christmas Is Idolatrous And Unscriptural - Pastor Kumuyi / Testimonies On Why We Stopped Tithing Here / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by PastorKun(m): 4:38pm On Apr 15, 2012

ERROR #1: Post-Calvary giving principles are not good enough for the church. While founding all of its other doctrines almost solely on New Covenant texts and principles, church finances must depend on principles found only before Christ’s death. (Chapter 27; Essay #1.) This violates Baptist history for many centuries.

ERROR #2: “Tithe” includes money. Food was used as barter in the early Old Testament because money was not widely used or expected for payment. (Chapter #1; Essay #2, 3.) A simple word study proves this to be wrong.

ERROR #3: Everybody under the Old Covenant paid tithes with no exceptions. Tithing was the minimum beginning expectation of every Israelite. (Chapter 25; Essay #2.) Actually only OT farmers and herdsmen who lived inside Israel were required to tithe.

ERROR #4: In Genesis 14 Abraham freely tithed and he is an example of pre-Law tithing for the church to follow. (Chapter 2; Essay #4. Actually Abraham is only an example of tithing pagan spoils of war and giving 90% of them back to pagans which the church does not teach.

ERROR #5: Since the whole OT tithe went to the priests at the Temple and since NT church leaders and church buildings replaced the OT priests and Temple, then the whole tithe in the NT should go to the church. (Chapters 10-13, 19, 21; Essay #5 8, 10-16.) Actually the whole OT tithe went to the equivalents of our ushers, deacons, choir, musicians, maintenance men and political workers. The NT church is not a building or storehouse. Church buildings did not even exist for over 200 years after Calvary.

ERROR #6: The phrase "It is Holy to the LORD" In Leviticus 27 makes the tithe an eternal moral principle for the church to obey. (Chapter 5; Essay #6.) Actually almost everything else called "holy" or "most holy" in Leviticus has been discarded by the church.

ERROR #7: First-fruits are the same as tithes and should be given to the church before any bills are paid. (Chapters 1, 4, 12; Essay #5, 7, 10-12.) Actually neither the firstfruits nor the best were necessarily the tithe.

ERROR #8: There are four different tithes described in the Bible but the church only   expects one of them. (Chapter 7; Essay #8.)

ERROR #9: Church leaders who receive tithes should be allowed to own and inherit property.  (Chapter 6; Essay #5.) This is contrary to the Bible principle.

ERROR #10: The Levitical tithes were never used to pay salaries of deacons, builders, maintenance, choir members, judges and politicians. (Chapters 4, 10; Essay #5, 8, 10.) This is contrary to the Bible principle.

ERROR #11: The church is the only place where tithes should be brought. (Chapters 4, 7, 10-13; Essay #11, 12.) Actually very few of the OT tithes ever reached the Temple and Malachi 3:10 has been grossly misinterpreted.

ERROR #12: OT priests worked full-time in the Temple. (Chapters 11-13; Essay #5, 7, 10, 11.) Actually most tithe-receiving Levites and priests spent most of their time in the Levitical cities raising tithed animals or learning trades to use in the temple.

ERROR #13: Malachi 3 applies to the church today. (Chapter 13; Essay #13.) Actually there are at least 9 biblical reasons to reject this idea.

ERROR #14: Concerning tithing there is very little difference between the Old and New Covenants. (Chapters 16-26; Essay #14-18.)

ERROR #15: Jesus in Matthew 23:23 and the book of Acts taught tithing to the church. (Chapters 14, 16. 28; Essay #9, 13, 14.) Actually the context found in  Mt 23:2 and 3 (matters of the law) and Acts 21:20 disprove this idea.

ERROR #16: It is OK to add to God’s Word and require church leaders and deacons to tithe in order to quality. Spiritual gifts are only found among financially capable tithers. (Timothy, Titus) Actually since financial competency was not a requirement in the Bible then it should not be a qualification in the church.

ERROR #17: The church must teach and practice tithing in order to grow. (Chapters 16-31; Essay #1, 16.) Actually that attitude shows a reluctance to believe and act on far better new covenant principles.

ERROR #18: God declared that church leaders should be full-time. (Chapters 10-12, 16, 22.) Actually OT Levites and priests were not full time and there is no pattern fulfillment. Most Jewish rabbis worked for a living. Paul was a rabbi and encouraged the same among preachers in Acts 20:29-35 and 2 Cor 12:14.

ERROR #19: Tithing has always been taught in the historical church. (Chapters 29, 9, 26, 28; Essay #18.) This is totally false and cannot be verified by a single reputable church historian.

ERROR #20: Baptists have always taught tithing. (4 articles on my web site) As of 2000 the word still does not appear in the SBC Faith and Message. Tithng was not even discussed in the USA until the early 1870s.  It is a new doctrine.

ERROR #21: The tithe should be given to the church even before any necessities such as food, medicine and warmth are provided. (Essay #7.) Absolutely not.  1 Tim 5:8.

ERROR #22: Church leaders must only be financially secure tithers and the poor do not qualify for church leadership. The modern Baptist church must not teach James, chapter 2.

James 2:3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet,"

4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

5 Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?

6 But you have insulted the poor.   NIV

ERROR #23:  Spiritual gifts of leadership are only given to the financially secure. Do not teach 1st Corinthians 12.

1 Cor 12:7-11

7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.

8 To one there is given through the Spirit ...

9 to another faith by the same Spirit ...

10 to another ...

11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines. NIV

Source : http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/id110.html
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by Goshen360(m): 4:54pm On Apr 15, 2012
@ Kunle,

Do you have Russell's book on tithing?

He was hated for exposing the false teachings of tithing here in the United States. If you don't have his book. I can email you the online version.
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by PastorKun(m): 5:29pm On Apr 15, 2012
Goshen360: @ Kunle,

Do you have Russell's book on tithing?

He was hated for exposing the false teachings of tithing here in the United States. If you don't have his book. I can email you the online version.

Why can't they just provide biblical proof he is wrong instead of just hating him? Or like friends snowwy and image123 grin they evade thrashing out issues less they be further exposed and ridicled.
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by Zikkyy(m): 5:31pm On Apr 15, 2012
Pastor Kun: .
ERROR #17: angry The church must teach and practice tithing in order to grow.

I agree with this bit. You should understand that it is the registered entity (a.k.a the business) being referred to as the church; not the people. Pastor Kun, you have to understand that 10% is big money. You can imagine if every member of a church like RCCG renders 10% of their annual earnings to the church, i am not sure the govt is able to generate that much money from personal income tax grin For the church to grow, expand (local & offshore) and diversify into other money milking spinning business (like education, aviation, printing/publishing, electronic media e.t.c) they need the big money from tithe. So this teaching is in order abeg angry
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by Goshen360(m): 5:54pm On Apr 15, 2012
^^^
@ Zikky,

Are you joking right? or make i show you how church grows in the bible, biblical proof of what grows the church, not tithing? grin grin grin
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by PastorKun(m): 6:20pm On Apr 15, 2012
Goshen360: ^^^
@ Zikky,

Are you joking right? or make i show you how church grows in the bible, biblical proof of what grows the church, not tithing? grin grin grin

Evidently tithe collecting churches are not the biblical concept of 'church' so you guys might just be referring to two totally different things.
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by Goshen360(m): 6:39pm On Apr 15, 2012
^^^
Well, i only made my comment because he said he agree to error #17 and he stroke it out. So i intend to tell him that tithe doesn't grow a church neither does it add to church growth or number, whatever. Besides, he was laughing. so i thought probably he was joking.
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by PastorKun(m): 6:44pm On Apr 15, 2012
Well, i only made my comment because he said he agree to error #17 and he stroke it out. So i intend to tell him that tithe doesn't grow a church neither does it add to church growth or number, whatever. Besides, he was laughing. so i thought probably he was joking.

Evidently he was joking / ridicling the tithe merchants. The post exposed the hypocrisy / anti -christ nature of their tithing doctrine.
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by Zikkyy(m): 7:59pm On Apr 15, 2012
make i show you how church grows in the bible, biblical proof of what grows the church, not tithing? grin grin grin

Whatever you've got, am sure it will not be applicable here angry oya, show me angry

So i intend to tell him that tithe doesn't grow a church neither does it add to church growth or number,

It will if every member of the church renders 10% of their gross income. You think say na cowries church dey use to promote their brand? angry
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by Goshen360(m): 8:15pm On Apr 15, 2012
The answer to Church growth is found in Acts 2:38-47 nkjv and i give you the extracts below:

The Word of God
Signs and wonders
Gifts of the Holy Ghost
Baptism
Prayers
Teachings (Apostles doctrines and fellowship)
Unity and sacrificial services/giving.
Breaking of bread
Simplicity of heart
Praises and Favour

v47:
Praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by Zikkyy(m): 8:45pm On Apr 15, 2012
Goshen360: The answer to Church growth is found in Acts 2:38-47 nkjv and i give you the extracts below:
Signs and wonders

This is what am talking about. This is the main driver today, all other ingredients are no longer valid grin But the question is how do you advertise the signs and wonders to the world? you need internet, satalite t.v, print media, hold events to showcase pastoral skillz on a periodic basis e.t.c This is where the tithe takings become useful.

Goshen360: The answer to Church growth is found in Acts 2:38-47 nkjv and i give you the extracts below:
Breaking of bread

Unless you want to break 'manna' from heaven, you need 'kudi' to make the bread available grin
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by Goshen360(m): 8:49pm On Apr 15, 2012
^^
Na wha for you o. grin grin grin

Zikkyy:

This is what am talking about. This is the main driver today, all other ingredients are no longer valid grin But the question is how do you advertise the signs and wonders to the world? you need internet, satalite t.v, print media, hold events to showcase pastoral skillz on a periodic basis e.t.c This is where the tithe takings become useful.

The example i gave you entails the sacrificial giving of the people that have seen the power of God.
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by Zikkyy(m): 8:53pm On Apr 15, 2012
Goshen360:
v47:
Praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

I don't think this will fit into the pastor's long term strategy. If you want to grow the numbers real fast, the signs and wonders bit works wonders grin
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by Goshen360(m): 9:02pm On Apr 15, 2012
^^^
Yes, so why did you say tithe before. E be like say you dey play game o,lol
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by Zikkyy(m): 9:08pm On Apr 15, 2012
Goshen360: ^^
The example i gave you entails the sacrificial giving of the people that have seen the power of God.

But seriously, the truth is a good number of people in church today are not there becos they love God. You first have to make true Christians of the congregation before you can achieve sacrificial giving. Pastors have not been able to achieve this. Sacrificial giving will not work in a situation where you have a tight fisted/stingy congregation only willing to give for a return. The reason why pastors need to be creative in their revenue drive, they given up all hope of getting the congregation to practice sacrificial giving.
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by Zikkyy(m): 9:11pm On Apr 15, 2012
Yes, so why did you say tithe before. E be like say you dey play game o,lol

Am sticking to my position, the product will not sell itself, you need to take it to the market. You need tithe to achieve this grin
Re: List Of Unscriptural Tithing Errors by Goshen360(m): 9:11pm On Apr 15, 2012
laughable but true. They have created many teaches out of greed and anxiety. They themselves created the issue of giving to receive. So if we won't receive, that means we will not give? This is one of the false hope teachings in the body of Christ, the gospel of greed.

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Rips Off Female Member's Skirt / Video: Superb Spirit Ritual Masquerade In Burkina Faso / Why Was The Rich Man Asked To Give His Money To The Poor And Not The 'Church' ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.