Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,407 members, 7,954,606 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:44 AM

Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? (8620 Views)

Why Do Yoruba Muslims & Hausa-fulani Muslims Not Inter-marry? / Meet The Most Beautiful People On Earth- The Fulanis / Where Are The Igbos, Hausas And Other Non-Yorubas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by Abeem(m): 7:26am On Mar 27, 2006
As far as I know,  the Hausas and Fulanis are two distinct tribes that inhabit the Northern Nigeria and most of the countries in West Africa.  The Fulanis are by occupation cattle rearers hence naturally are nomadic. The Hausas are not.  It is only in Nigeria that the two tribes are treated as one ethnic grouping. Why are they co-joined?  Is it to give them an overwhelming majority over the Yorubas and the Ibos? If it is because of intermarriage, does the Efiks and the Ibiobios not intermarry? Why don't we refer to these ethnic groupings as Efik/Ibiobio? and so on and so forth.  Methinks this kind of siamese grouping is fraudulent, because of the false impression that they outnumbered the Yorubas and the Ibos.  If you treat them as separate tribes, they will fall back to the 3rd and 4th positions behind the Yorubas and the Ibos or even be displaced by the sprawling Ijaw tribe.
Can anyone educate me and the rest of the forum why this fraud has been allowed to stand unchallenged?

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by Seun(m): 11:32pm On Mar 27, 2006
It may be because the Hausa/Fulani have the same religion and are mostly in the north. Do they also speak the same language?

The Easterners are also generally reffered to as @Igbos@ even though the Igbos are just one of the tribes in the East.
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by Nobody: 12:12am On Mar 28, 2006
you need to visit the north, hausas and fulanis are very distinct pple. most generally speak hausa but fulanis speak fulatanchi.
fulanis are tall, fair and of slender build compared to hausas.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by adidison(m): 12:39am On Mar 28, 2006
@abeem,

Seun is right.

It’s actually because of the religion and location that people from the northern part of Nigeria are referred to as Hausa which is very very wrong. As a matter of fact they are different tribes and religions there like for instance we have the Hausa - Kano, Kanuri- Maiduguri and the Zangokataf (or so) - southern Kaduna(xtians) and i think they call the people from Abuja and Jos with different names. But Nigerians are too lazy to even bother about it or refer to them individually so they classify them by their location. They just call (classify) every person from the north Hausa. Ok like Edo people, they refer to them by their location MIDDLE BELT, see). I don’t think it’s because they want to do what u think NAHHHH. I bet they are even to dull to think like that. lol (didn’t mean that O, b4 they start another riot say na me cause am) abeg e don do like that. WE ARE ONE NIGERIA O.
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by toshmann(m): 2:02pm On Mar 30, 2006
in the south-east the people there are sometimes refered to as efik/ibibio. but when u get there, they are different people.but the language and culture is similar
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by YOUNGDICEs(m): 7:03pm On May 07, 2007
fulani and hausa are family,you yoruba and igbo need to stay outta this.
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by YOUNGDICEs(m): 9:54pm On May 07, 2007
why yall care anyway this's family problem.
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by fadal(m): 1:04am On May 10, 2007
that's true we are family r.i.p grand pa husein a.k.a fulani me chanou.
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by laudate: 6:55pm On May 10, 2007
adidison:

It’s actually because of the religion and location that people from the northern part of Nigeria are referred to as Hausa which is very very wrong. As a matter of fact they are different tribes and religions there like for instance we have the Hausa - Kano, Kanuri- Maiduguri and the Zangokataf (or so) - southern Kaduna(xtians) and i think they call the people from Abuja and Jos with different names. But Nigerians are too lazy to even bother about it or refer to them individually so they classify them by their location. They just call (classify) every person from the north Hausa.

You are so-oo-oo right!! cool

Am tired of explaining to people that not every Northerner is Hausa or Fulani, neither is every northerner, a muslim. But like you said, many folks are just too lazy to spot the difference!

You need to hear them when they go on blindly attacking all northerners for their plight!
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by namfav(m): 5:51pm On Oct 23, 2010
i think the century old similarities that are there, i am fulani but i have seen some of my relatives usually goes from fulani to hausa whenever feels necessary
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by tpia5: 8:21am On Oct 24, 2010
Why don't we refer to these ethnic groupings as Efik/Ibiobio?

they are called that sometimes.
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by auwal87(m): 5:24pm On Oct 24, 2010
Reasons being;

1. Location (The emirs in Hausaland are mostly Fulani)
2. Inter-marriage (most Hausa men like Fulani girls because they are more beautiful than Hausa girls)
3. Religion (Islam)
4. Language (most Fulani speaks Hausa, but few Hausa speaks Fulfulde)

Simple as that!
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by oludashmi(f): 2:21pm On Oct 25, 2010
adidison:

@abeem,

Seun is right.

It’s actually because of the religion and location that people from the northern part of Nigeria are referred to as Hausa which is very very wrong. As a matter of fact they are different tribes and religions there like for instance we have the Hausa - Kano, Kanuri- Maiduguri and the Zangokataf (or so) - southern Kaduna(xtians) and i think they call the people from Abuja and Jos with different names. But Nigerians are too lazy to even bother about it [/b]or refer to them individually so they classify them by their location. They just call (classify) every person from the north Hausa. Ok like Edo people, they refer to them by their location MIDDLE BELT, see). I don’t think it’s because they want to do what u think NAHHHH. I bet they are even to dull to think like that. lol (didn’t mean that O, b4 they start another riot say na me cause am) abeg e don do like that. [b]WE ARE ONE NIGERIA O.
Good point!
In the book.
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by Dede1(m): 7:54pm On Oct 29, 2010
Only ignorant and idiotic Nigerians refer Hausa-Fulani as one ethnic.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by Jarus(m): 10:16am On Oct 31, 2010
Hausa/Fulani is a political creation. In reality, they are different tribes, the only common thing being religion.

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by Fullohirrsikado(m): 4:28am On Dec 20, 2011
It is because of religion and intermarriage. 'fulbe & fulfulde for real' fullo doggu kado
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by EEngineer1(m): 11:34am On Dec 20, 2011
in the 18th century, sheikh uthman dan fodio launched a jihad against the corrupt hausa overlords of northern nigeria and established the sokoto-gwandu caliphate which ruled over the whole of hausaland, from then on the fulanis became the ruling class of hausaland

the two groups practise the same religion and speak the same language even though the fulanis have their own language
the real question shld be why dont fulanis distinguish themselves from hausa
in my secondary school all the fulanis identified as hausa and it was only when we inquired about their ethnicity that they opened up alittle

i personally think that the fulanis are grateful to be nigerians and hausa because they are actually from nowhere[ somewhere in west africa that we aint sure of], and they are the wealthy ones amongst the group
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by Nadanbata: 9:43pm On Dec 20, 2011
Intermarriage from long ago main reason. Hausa culture before the jihad was very different to the culture now. "Its a hybird" but still retains 'Hausa' name lol.
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:57am On Dec 22, 2011
WE ARE SEPARATE PEOPLES! THIS INTERMARRYING THING IS MYTH. IT OCCURS VERY RARELY AND ONLY AMONG YOUNGER GENERATIONS. angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by anonymous6(f): 4:14pm On Dec 22, 2011
Their religion is the biggest reason and most of the time they share the same values and beliefs to a extent that it is hard to see the differences between them. Some Nigerians actually believe Fulani's are a certain group from the Hausa's, until these two groups start showing their differences more and make emphasis on it people will always keep grouping those two tribes as the same.
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by Araboy(m): 7:22pm On Dec 22, 2011
Only southerners think Hausa and Fulani as one tribe and it is  a big mistake

Fulani consider themselves  The crusaders in west Africa they are very proud and arrogant people they don't think Hausa or

Kanuri people are able to understand or practice Islam without their help since they were at the origin of their Islamization

these tribes are different in term of origin language and customs but since they practice same religion in a multi religious country

they felt their religion is matter the most( like most Muslims ) and that why maybe they CO - joined and mixed with

the Hausa as One entity

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by sayusuf(m): 9:41am On Jan 29, 2012
its hardly u see hausa man without fulani blood in his lineage and vice versa,. Its hardly you see pure hausa, or pure fulani. Only hausa/fulani.
So the two can not be seperated.
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by stayreal: 11:18am On Jan 29, 2012
The reason is political. Please cut the crap. What other african country are they considered one?

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by cfours: 4:51pm On Jan 29, 2012
this is why i say that Nigeria will be a mess if we break up. then all the formerly un-discussed differences among each "tribe" will start to show up.
Even the Igbos are not as homogeneous as we think. neither are the yorubas.
people say there are 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria for a reason. let's stay united under one Nigeria abeg.
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by DanKan0: 4:06am On Jan 30, 2012
stayreal:

The reason is political. Please cut the crap. What other african country are they considered one?

Thats why, only mainly in Nigeria and Sudan.

[img]http://mathildasanthropologyblog.files./2008/06/fulanimap.jpg?w=500&h=326[/img]

Other fulanis are of course in many other countries.
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by stayreal: 6:49am On Feb 03, 2012
DanKan0:

Thats why, only mainly in Nigeria and Sudan.

[img]http://mathildasanthropologyblog.files./2008/06/fulanimap.jpg?w=500&h=326[/img]

Other fulanis are of course in many other countries.

I am aware of those maps. If they have so much in common, why don't they create Arewa?
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by DanKan0: 5:49pm On Feb 03, 2012
stayreal:

I am aware of those maps. If they have so much in common, why don't they create Arewa?

we prefer Nigeria nau cool cool
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by Ybutterfly: 5:16pm On Jun 09, 2012
^^^^^^^^^^^tHEir tHe S@mE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ undecided
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by yusufbaba(m): 11:02pm On Jun 09, 2012
hausa-fulani is not a tribe....its a politicl nd adminsrtv entity....d fulanis ar d ruling elites in most northrn nigeria emirates.... fulanis in north east retaind most of their identits....most in d north west intermarrd nd loss most of their idntities due to a no of reasons.,,i will expantiate later....most of d ruling elite even those of hausa origin marries frm d fulani.,..tht gave rise to d acronym...hausa/fulani....which means d largest bloc of northn elites(tht origintd frm d emirates aftr d jihad)...mostly of pure fulani, mixd fulani nd few hausa.....aftr d jihad of sheikh usman danfodio....most of d presnt emirates of d northeast were cavd out by d fulanis( out of barren lands e.g adamawa,muri,gombe,jama,are,misau etc while in d northwest d emirtes were won ovr, thy constitute d hausa city state.... without d ruln fulani elites accomdtn d hausa, d jihad could hav lastd few years....nd d issue issue resultd in a no. unrest during d reign of sultn muhammdu bello d second sultn aftr danfodio....its a lengthy issue which i would elaborate in a seperate tread

1 Like

Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by Fulaman198(m): 3:45pm On Jun 13, 2012
yusuf baba: hausa-fulani is not a tribe....its a politicl nd adminsrtv entity....d fulanis ar d ruling elites in most northrn nigeria emirates.... fulanis in north east retaind most of their identits....most in d north west intermarrd nd loss most of their idntities due to a no of reasons.,,i will expantiate later....most of d ruling elite even those of hausa origin marries frm d fulani.,..tht gave rise to d acronym...hausa/fulani....which means d largest bloc of northn elites(tht origintd frm d emirates aftr d jihad)...mostly of pure fulani, mixd fulani nd few hausa.....aftr d jihad of sheikh usman danfodio....most of d presnt emirates of d northeast were cavd out by d fulanis( out of barren lands e.g adamawa,muri,gombe,jama,are,misau etc while in d northwest d emirtes were won ovr, thy constitute d hausa city state.... without d ruln fulani elites accomdtn d hausa, d jihad could hav lastd few years....nd d issue issue resultd in a no. unrest during d reign of sultn muhammdu bello d second sultn aftr danfodio....its a lengthy issue which i would elaborate in a seperate tread

This is very true what my bro Yusuf Baba says. But to elaborate upon that, Hausa and Fulani are not tribes, but ethnic groups. There are many sub-groups within both the Fulani and Hausa and in other countries too.

Like Malam Yusuf Baba said, in the NE where I am from Gombe, Adamawa, Jigawa, Jalingo areas, Fulani have retained their customs and tradition. This can also be seen in Neighbouring Adamawa Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, and Eastern Niger who share the exact same Fulfulde Fulani dialect as we do.

In the Northwest, you can not differentiate between a Hausa and "Fulani" anymore, since the Fulani there have lost their culture and language in favour of Hausa. Hausa-Fulani is a political term and I think it is a stupid term (no offense to those who like to go by it). But to me, you are either Hausa or you are Fulani.
Re: Why Are The Hausas And Fulanis Co-joined In One Tribe - Hausa/fulani? by bendeniceguy: 8:24pm On Jul 28, 2014
Abeem: As far as I know,  the Hausas and Fulanis are two distinct tribes that inhabit the Northern Nigeria and most of the countries in West Africa.  The Fulanis are by occupation cattle rearers hence naturally are nomadic. The Hausas are not.  It is only in Nigeria that the two tribes are treated as one ethnic grouping. Why are they co-joined?  Is it to give them an overwhelming majority over the Yorubas and the Ibos? If it is because of intermarriage, does the Efiks and the Ibiobios not intermarry? Why don't we refer to these ethnic groupings as Efik/Ibiobio? and so on and so forth.  Methinks this kind of siamese grouping is fraudulent, because of the false impression that they outnumbered the Yorubas and the Ibos.  If you treat them as separate tribes, they will fall back to the 3rd and 4th positions behind the Yorubas and the Ibos or even be displaced by the sprawling Ijaw tribe.
Can anyone educate me and the rest of the forum why this fraud has been allowed to stand unchallenged?
The reason for this is simple. The fulanis rule over the hausas, all emirs or sultans in the north are of fulani stock and has being so for centuries and since the hausas not only accepted fulani religion (islam ala uthman dan fodio) but also the fulanis as their lords and have intergrated with them, then i assume it is okay to refer to them as hausa/fulani. The hausas take great pride in being refered to that way.A classical "Talk about the slave assuming the identity of the master".

(1) (2) (Reply)

Its Official, Igbos Can No Longer Claim To Have Some Isreali DNA :) / African Babes Repping Their Black Skin. / Ifa Is The True Religion And Practice Of The Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.