Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,511 members, 7,826,936 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba (31977 Views)

If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by bluehorizo(m): 3:30pm On Apr 28, 2008
I know of some family here in Lagos that have warned their children not to speak Yoruba at home. Can you imagine that? I could remember those days in primary school when you will be penalized for speaking "vernacular". Very ridiculous. I am proud of my mother tongue anywhere and anyday.Omo ale ni o ma fi owo osi juwe ile baba re( It is only a bastard that will use his left hand to describe his father's house).
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by TopBooty(f): 6:20pm On Apr 28, 2008
I know of some family here in Lagos that have warned their children not to speak Yoruba at home. Can you imagine that? I could remember those days in primary school when you will be penalized for speaking "vernacular". Very ridiculous. I am proud of my mother tongue anywhere and anyday.Omo ale ni o ma fi owo osi juwe ile baba re( It is only a bastard that will use his left hand to describe his father's house).
Don't mind the idiots, they kids will still understand it anyway whether they like it or not.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by TopBooty(f): 6:22pm On Apr 28, 2008
@topbooty

very worrisome,

some people even think not understanding yoruba makes you better than others.

Most people like the uncle you mentioned there would stop their kids from speaking it as if that would make them dull
One thing this people don't know is that they are neggligible and the yoruba race will still strive without them anyway.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 10:49am On Apr 29, 2008
well,but some gals want to learn,but no oportunety for that
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 7:53am On May 07, 2008
Hello everybody!

I'm still waiting for a new lessen of Yoruba!
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by OsunAmazon: 8:36am On May 07, 2008
Hello everybody!

I'm still waiting for a new lessen of Yoruba!

Are you yoruba? I think someone posted a website somewhere in this thread that can help you out.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 8:50am On May 07, 2008
OsunAmazon:

Are you yoruba? I think someone posted a website somewhere in this thread that can help you out.

i think u know,all that website need pay or buy books!
yes,i'm.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 12:03pm On May 10, 2008
hmmm, sorry curly

been away for sometime now,

Curly, check out the link of yoruba alphabets and their pronunciation.

It got the list

http://www.learnyoruba.com/alphabet.htm

Note:click on the sound link to pronounce the alphabet
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 5:36pm On May 11, 2008
mdsocks:

hmmm, sorry curly

been away for sometime now,

Curly, check out the link of yoruba alphabets and their pronunciation.

It got the list

http://www.learnyoruba.com/alphabet.htm

Note:click on the sound link to pronounce the alphabet

Thank u mt dear friend mdsocks,is help!
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Estar3: 8:08pm On Sep 14, 2008
right on!!@ rof-lmao , thatz rite!!!
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by ovadose(f): 1:32pm On Sep 15, 2008
Funny thing, others come and learn Yoruba.

In all actuality, the more languages you speak, the greater ur advantantage with a lot of things. Employers are more open to hiring multiple language speakers irrespective of the language, be it indigineous or country wide. Havard i believe it is did a study, and the came up with the findings that pple that spoke more than one language were "more intelligent" than those that spoke only one. Their ability to think in multiple languages was a huge factor in their thought process.

I am half Nigerian, and my mother speaks only English. My father spoke only English to us so that my mother would not feel excluded, except when he wanted to complain or talk about my mother. The best part of it, my mother always took us to the market ( and made us listen in on the market womens converstation), hired help that didnt speak any English around the house. Learning a language is a choice, that is either made or not made for a variety of reasons. like everything else is life, there is really no excuse for an excuse if it is something u want.

My Yoruba has since improved as an adult, because i made a conscious decision to further educate myself in it. I wont put down anyone who chooses not to speak it, but when the reason is that it takes away from the persons command of the English language, then that is utter bullocks.

PS: I speak Yoruba, like a market woman from Ketu, and I am darn proud of it. Same way my command of the English language is excellent.
It doesnt matter who i marry, my Children will learn Yoruba.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by C2H5OH(f): 3:18am On Jun 02, 2009
some ajebo pikins are like that.

i actually have a female friend like that. she's here in the u.s. now. anytime i say something to her in yoruba she replies in english.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by No2Atheism(m): 4:40am On Jun 02, 2009
1. Its wrong for the child not to be able to both speak and understand Yoruba, If the parents don't make efforts to teach their children, then sooner or later that family would lose its heritage over time, just like most Black African Americans or Black African South Americans are completely confused about themselves and their heritage.

2. As for me, whether or not my children speak Shakesperean English does not mean i would not force them to both speak and understand Yoruba fluently.

3. Being able to speak Yoruba fluently is a means of preserving onces family heritage and culture through oral means, simply because there are certain things and statements in Yoruba that simply do not have an an equivalence in English. Thus the culture represented by those statements become lost once the language is lost through children that can't speak it.

4. Unfortunately, inferiority complex also causes some parents and families to discourage the learning, speaking or understanding of Yoruba language in their homes.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by nguage(m): 4:47am On Jun 02, 2009
While growing up in Nigeria, I met several families who made it a goal to make sure their wards didn't understand a lick of Yoruba. Some of them even tried to convince my parents to make English the first language in our house, my dad wasn't having of that crap.

Anyway, surprise surprise! I speak English and Yoruba better than many of those kids now. Even if my Yoruba isn't as good as I want it to be.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 5:03am On Jun 02, 2009
Any Yoruba that grew up in Yorubaland and cannot understand Yoruba should be ashamed of themselves.

Poster, you have an excuse.

Any other ones that lived in Yorubaland, even if not in Yorubaland, and still cannot understand yoruba? THAT'S PATHETIC.

Well, thatz my opinion sha.

Abroad or not, my kids MUST speak thier native lang.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by C2H5OH(f): 5:35am On Jun 02, 2009
which kids
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by No2Atheism(m): 5:47am On Jun 02, 2009
FL Gators stop calling your children "kids".

The word kids is the name for baby goats. Children is children or Child is Child.

Yes the word Kid is colloquial nevertheless its still inappropriate.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 02, 2009
No2Atheism:

FL Gators stop calling your children "kids".

The word kids is the name for baby goats. Children is children or Child is Child.

Yes the word Kid is colloquial nevertheless its still inappropriate.
Ok o, emi ti gbo.

C2H5OH:

which kids
eyi ti Olorun a pese fun mi nigba ti n ba ti ready wink
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by IFELEKE(m): 2:52pm On Jun 02, 2009
The rate at which parents bar their children from speaking The Yoruba Language nowadays is seriously alarming,even illiterates communicate with their wards in terrible English all in the name of making them forget Yoruba at all cost.
Worse than the above is the new craze for foreign names.
I have an uncle who adopted his father's English name as a surname and made sure his children bear English names,This to me is really saddening and every time I witness these I thank God for my parents.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jun 02, 2009
abi o, I still don't understand how you wouldn't want your kids to speak yoruba.

It's such a lovely langauge, so lovely. With so much expressions. . . .proverbs, so much.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by IFELEKE(m): 3:26pm On Jun 02, 2009
FL Gators:

abi o, I still don't understand how you wouldn't want your kids to speak yoruba.

It's such a lovely langauge, so lovely. With so much expressions. . . .proverbs, so much.
Bami Bawon Soro Gidi. . .
Lovely language, lovely culture with lovely norms and most importantly lovely and deeply meaningful names. . .Once Again, I thank God for my Parents. . .
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by No2Atheism(m): 12:28am On Jun 03, 2009
FL Gators:

abi o, I still don't understand how you wouldn't want your kids [/b]to speak yoruba.

shocked you don do am again,

IFELEKE:

Bami Bawon Soro Gidi. . .
Lovely language, lovely culture with lovely norms and most importantly lovely and [b]deeply meaningful names.
. .Once Again, I thank God for my Parents. . .

Ireti
Omobola
Adedayo
Adeyemi
Adekemi
Oluwadamilare
Omotola
Olutona
Morenike
Oluwatoyin
Omotoyosi
Temilade

the list goes on and on for meaningful names, unless of course you want to call your children names like:

Sheniqua Tamiqua
Condolezza Rice
George Bush
Alan Cook
Tom Hicks
Sharon Stone
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by oyinda3(f): 12:33am On Jun 03, 2009
I understand yoruba but I don't really speak it. I can speak it but it comes out with an embarrassing accent so I just shut my mouth and talk in English. undecided how can I get rid of an accent when I speak yoruba?
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by No2Atheism(m): 12:46am On Jun 03, 2009
Unfortunately it would take time to get rid of the accent, so its advisable only if you are interested enough to persevere.

Step one - Look for someone who is good at speaking Yoruba and English

Step Two - Tell the person to speak to you only in Yoruba and try to force yourself to respond to him only in Yoruba, yes you might be thinking in english, don't worry you would get there.

I am also very fluent in speaking Yoruba, although my reading is not as good as i want it to be, and i also think in english even though i am born and raised in nigeria, hence thinking in english and speaking in yoruba does not mean you can't be fluent in yoruba.

Try and make friends with Toyosi or Fl Gators their NL posts seems to show that they are quite good with Yoruba.

Yoruba language is very rich and compact and with very deep meanings.

For example:

Eku ile - a form of greeting shown towards people that one meets at home, does not have an equivalent in english. Hence not knowing it or how to use it is not really desirable for a yoruba person.

Also words like Igbo have various meaning based on sound and context of usage, hence a typical yoruba person says more knowing less words, compared to english that has almost different words for different things.

Igbo - Bush
Igbo - Headbutt
Igbo - Marijuana or smokeable hard drugs
Igbo - pubic hair

Wa - come
Wa - drive
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by oyinda3(f): 12:53am On Jun 03, 2009
lol. that's going to be really hard. I don't really have many yoruba friends. The ones I have were born here and don't speak yoruba. lol
yea I know it doesn't matter what language your thoughts are in. I have bilingual friends who think in their native language and have good command of English.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by No2Atheism(m): 12:58am On Jun 03, 2009
oyinda.:

lol. that's going to be really hard. I don't really have many yoruba friends. The ones I have were born here and don't speak yoruba. lol
yea I know it doesn't matter what language your thoughts are in. I have bilingual friends who think in their native language and have good command of English.

Try to make some friends with people of Yoruba ancestry that are fluent in speaking it.

For example FL Gators or TOH or Toyosi.

You do not have to make friends with them physically, you can be friends with them enough to share Skype accounts with them so that you can all get to speak yoruba to each other over the skype phone , considering that i understand that you might not be in the same vicinity.

By the way i am only asking you to make friends with female yoruba people, abeg don't make friends with male ones o, i don't want to be responsible for pushing you towards people that might impregnate you oh - just joking. grin grin grin
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by oyinda3(f): 1:03am On Jun 03, 2009
lol. i don't have skype. u have skype?
it will be wonderful to have a yoruba teacher sha. lol
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by No2Atheism(m): 1:09am On Jun 03, 2009
oyinda.:

lol. i don't have skype. u have skype?
it will be wonderful to have a yoruba teacher sha. lol

Ooops , unfortunately i am a guy, hence it is not advisable that i be the one to teach you Yoruba. The people that i have suggested FL Gators, Toyosi and TOH should be of help to you.

Moreover my future wife would kill me if she knows that i gave out my Skype ID to someone i met on NL, i no want wahala.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by oyinda3(f): 1:13am On Jun 03, 2009
thank u o. I'm watching a film abt teacher-student fiasco so I understand. lol
Thanks 4 ur advice though

is ur future wife on NL?
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by No2Atheism(m): 1:21am On Jun 03, 2009
oyinda.:

thank u o. I'm watching a film abt teacher-student fiasco so I understand. lol
Thanks 4 ur advice though

is ur future wife on NL?

Maybe yes  grin, Maybe no  grin, moreover sef the beautiful ones are yet to be born grin grin grin
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by oyinda3(f): 2:56am On Jun 03, 2009
wow. she's pregnant u mean?
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by No2Atheism(m): 3:07am On Jun 03, 2009
oyinda.:

wow. she's pregnant u mean?

Very funny,

Pregnant kee, am not a random fertiliser, hence aint no one carrying my child (am too responsible/focused for dat kind of baby-daddy/baby-mama nonsense dat some men seem 2 get themselves into). Am not ready for a relationship talkless of getting someone pregnant.

I mean the beautiful ones that can potentially be my future wife are yet to be born.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Fulani / Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home) / The Olowu Of Owu Kingdom: The Final 7 Contestants In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.