Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,419 members, 7,819,512 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba (31930 Views)

If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 3:45pm On Mar 17, 2008
Shame on 'em. angry
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by omomi1: 2:57pm On Mar 19, 2008
also a victim
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 12:17pm On Apr 08, 2008
i want to learn Yoruba,who can help me?
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by bluehorizo(m): 12:49pm On Apr 08, 2008
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 12:59pm On Apr 08, 2008
THESE SHOULD HELP YOU

http://www.abeokuta.org/yoruba.htm
http://www.motherlandnigeria.com/languages.html
http://www.learnyoruba.com/
http://www.worldlanguage.com/Languages/Yoruba.htm
http://www.bostonlanguage.com/fl/yoruba.htm

i don't think that would help much, but in addition

but you can get someone to speak yoruba together

you learn faster that way, cool
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 4:26am On Apr 09, 2008
yes sure,who wants to be my language partner?

1 Like

Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 4:53am On Apr 09, 2008
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by bluehorizo(m): 8:34am On Apr 09, 2008
Ok.

Greetings in Yoruba are:

Good Morning= E kaaro

Good afternoon= E kaasan

Good evening= E kaale

Goodnight= O daaro

Maybe we should go from here and you need to understand how they are pronounced.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 9:25am On Apr 09, 2008
yes sure,who wants to be my language partner?

don't have the time though, but we can help out others.

What about trying to talk basic yoruba here on the forum, it might develop into a more comprehensive thing later.

Am starting, E karo.- Meaning (good morning) you reply with "E karo" also,

Hope that helps we can now building on that,
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 1:49pm On Apr 09, 2008
bluehorizo:

Ok.

Greetings in Yoruba are:

Good Morning= E kaaro

Good afternoon= E kaasan

Good evening= E kaale

Goodnight= O daaro

Maybe we should go from here and you need to understand how they are pronounced.

E kaasan!
My dear friend is very helpful,thank u so much,i wouldlike to larn more! grin
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 1:53pm On Apr 09, 2008
mdsocks:

don't have the time though, but we can help out others.

What about trying to talk basic yoruba here on the forum, it might develop into a more comprehensive thing later.

Am starting, E karo.- Meaning (good morning) you reply with "E karo" also,

Hope that helps we can now building on that,

E kaasan my friend!
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by bluehorizo(m): 5:29pm On Apr 09, 2008
curlyS:

E kaasan my friend!

You said it well.
My=mi

I=Emi

Me=mi

Friend=Ore

Good afternoon my friend= kaasan ore mi
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 8:03pm On Apr 09, 2008
bluehorizo:

You said it well.
My=mi

I=Emi

Me=mi

Friend=Ore

Good afternoon my friend= kaasan ore mi

that's so nice! thank u so much!

how r u doing? how's life?
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by bluehorizo(m): 9:14pm On Apr 09, 2008
You are always welcome and i'm doing good. What about you?

female=obinrin

male=Okunrin

You=iwo

They=awon

Our=awa

Mine=Temi

Money=owo
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 8:36am On Apr 10, 2008
bluehorizo:

You are always welcome and i'm doing good. What about you?

female=obinrin

male=Okunrin

You=iwo

They=awon

Our=awa

Mine=Temi

Money=owo

E kaaro ore mi

i'm doing ok.

how to say, how r u,how is life?
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by bluehorizo(m): 12:42pm On Apr 10, 2008
How are you= Bawo ni?

How is everything=Bawo ni gbogbo nkan?

how=Bawo

is=ni

every=gbogbo

thing=nkan
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 2:39pm On Apr 10, 2008
bluehorizo:

How are you= Bawo ni?

How is everything=Bawo ni gbogbo nkan?

how=Bawo

is=ni

every=gbogbo

thing=nkan

E kaasan ore mi!
Bawo ni brothere mi?
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Dreloaded(f): 2:51pm On Apr 10, 2008
brother is either aburo or egbon according to whether the person is younger or older than you

Are you Nigerian, Curly
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 2:24pm On Apr 11, 2008
[size=2pt]*****good work bluehorizo****** [/size] cool
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 6:00pm On Apr 11, 2008
D-reloaded:

brother is either aburo or egbon according to whether the person is younger or older than you

Are you Nigerian, Curly

hello!
what is pade mi?
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 6:24pm On Apr 11, 2008
D-reloaded:

Are you Nigerian, Curly

well,i'm not really Nigerian,i'm mix

Why r u asking?
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Dreloaded(f): 6:27pm On Apr 11, 2008
mixed as in?

Oh. just wanna know why out of the many languages of Nigeria you decided on Yoruba wink
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by uspry1(f): 6:52pm On Apr 11, 2008
@curlyS

Check out the existing threads you would like to learn at below:

Nigerian Slangs
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-1167.0.html

Teach Me Naija Slang Please
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-104810.0.html

Also my favorite Yoruba-English dictionary sites at below:

http://www.nigeriandictionary.com/index.php

http://www.ngex.com/personalities/babawilly/dictionary/default.htm
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 6:56pm On Apr 11, 2008
D-reloaded:

mixed as in?

Oh. just want to know why out of the many languages of Nigeria you decided on Yoruba wink

well,i know many languges,n i'm fluent in,but only one i don't know is my mum mother tong.
Yorubo woman n Russia man
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 7:00pm On Apr 11, 2008
curlyS:

hello!
what is pade mi?

pade mi---meet me

padi mi(slang) ----a friend or pal
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by bluehorizo(m): 12:12am On Apr 12, 2008
@curly

mdstocks translated it right. Keep it up.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 4:29pm On Apr 15, 2008
mdsocks:

pade mi---meet me

padi mi(slang) ----a friend or pal

What is pal? also slang?
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 4:52pm On Apr 21, 2008
hmm, where are the yoruba learners ?

seems you are no more interested cheesy

too hard? embarassed

What is pal? also slang?

yeah slang, same as "friend"
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by curlyS(f): 10:16am On Apr 22, 2008
NOoooo,i still waiting for new words!

but nobody writing,

where is teachers?
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 22, 2008
oh sorry about that,

Thought you were not interested,

hmm, :-?

where should we continue from,

ok,

I want to eat, ----Mo fe jeun
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by TopBooty(f): 5:08pm On Apr 26, 2008
i think the problem is that many parents want there children to be "civilised"according to them and they therefore force their children to speak english language only.there is need for us as indegenious people to encourage our children to speak our mother tongue because it is part of our culture,grammer is not!
That is the new trend in Nigeria now, handed down to the rest of the west by lagosians. I just can't understand how a parent can deny his/her child an opportunity to learn something. I have three uncles from both sides that raised their kids that way and all their children(14 in total) can hardly understand yoruba how much less speaking it besides, when you speak it to them, they act like you are speaking aramaric or urdu.

What about all these butter wannabe yoruba girls here in the US that pretend like yoruba is chinese whenever you speak to them even though they grew up in Nigeria(west)? I can understand yorubas that grew up in the east, north, even lagos etc not speaking yoruba well but how can you grow up in Ibadan and claim to me that you cannot speak or understand yoruba even if your parents never taught you? Bold faced lie.

To those Yoruba Girls In the States: Yoruba language does not take away your ajebutter. Stop claiming please because it's the most stupid thing i've seen before. I just don't understand how you girls remember that you are yoruba anytime you really need a husband too bad and the outsiders wouldn't marry you. We'll appreciate it if you hook up with them and marry them. In case you are hoping on ibo men, they don't like ajebutters either.
Re: Yorubas In Nigeria That Can't Speak Yoruba by Nobody: 1:38pm On Apr 28, 2008
@topbooty

very worrisome,

some people even think not understanding yoruba makes you better than others.

Most people like the uncle you mentioned there would stop their kids from speaking it as if that would make them dull. sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Fulani / Why Are Yoruba's Obsessed With Greeting? / Ile-ife - City Of 201 Gods. (Yoruba Ancestral Home)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.