Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,131 members, 7,818,393 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos (11077 Views)

Former NSA Dasuki Objects To Secret Trial / Southeast Governors Reject Transfer Of Boko Haram Suspects To Anambra / Relocate Boko Haram Prisoners Out Of Igboland Now - Ohaneze Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Nobody: 11:07pm On Apr 19, 2012
The Federal Government has opened a secret detention centre for high-profile Boko Haram suspects in Lagos.
The Associated Press quotes an unnamed security official as saying that the secret detention centre would hold and interrogate suspected high-level members of the radical Islamist sect, responsible for hundreds of killings this year alone.
While the facility could create a more cohesive effort among disparate and sometimes feuding security agencies in Nigeria to combat the sect known as Boko Haram, it raises concerns about its possible use for torture and illegal detentions, AP reports.
The prison is in Lagos, far from the violence plaguing the country’s predominantly Muslim north, where Boko Haram carries out frequent bombings and ambushes, said the security official, who is directly involved in the project. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the facility with journalists.
“All suspects arrested will be taken to the centre and would be interrogated by a security group,” the official said. He declined to say exactly where it is or how many inmates it can hold.
He said authorities are arranging to transport suspects to Lagos.
The detention centre was created on the orders of National Security Adviser, Gen. Owoye Azazi, the official said.
Azazi’s telephone number is unlisted and the AP was unable to contact him for comment.
The Director-General of the State Security Service, Ekpeyong Ita, declined to comment on Thursday when the AP asked him about the prison.
Minutes later, secret police spokeswoman Marilyn Ogar called an AP journalist and said anyone with information about the purported prison should go to the courts instead of talking to journalists. She refused to confirm or deny the prison’s existence.
“Whatever we do, we’re running a democratic system that respects the rule of law,” the spokeswoman said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-to-relocate-boko-haram-suspects-to-lagos/

1 Like

Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Nobody: 11:09pm On Apr 19, 2012
Our very own Guantanamo Bay?

3 Likes

Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Nobody: 11:09pm On Apr 19, 2012
Why Lagos?

Why not Bayelsa, or somewhere in SE where northerners are not many??

This government is clueless..

2 Likes

Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Nobody: 11:34pm On Apr 19, 2012
HNosegbe: Our very own Guantanamo Bay?
My exact words.
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by gidiMonsta(m): 11:36pm On Apr 19, 2012
I detest this idea of having a 'secret' detention centre in Lagos :|. Its not even secret anymore since a loud mouth 'intelligence' officer decided to leak it to the press, this shi.t stinks of a conspiracy by the powers that be to destabilize Lagos, a payback for the #OccupyNigeria debacle.

3 Likes

Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Nobody: 11:39pm On Apr 19, 2012
I would have thought that such a "secret detention centre" should be located as far away from civilization as possible. Afterall, it should be "secret", shouldn't it? I really can't envisage Lagos of all places fitting the bill.

Am I missing something here?
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by mizne1: 12:00am On Apr 20, 2012
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Musiwa49: 12:55am On Apr 20, 2012
Fg should not do that, it shows lack of understanding of the issue. You cant move them to lagos. You put the lifes of millions of people in lagos in danger.

You move to remote place in the north with their people, where their family can come and see them.
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by koruji(m): 2:05am On Apr 20, 2012
This cannot be true!!! Despite everything, I want to believe that there is a government with at least some kind of "thought process" in this country.

HNosegbe: The Federal Government has opened a secret detention centre for high-profile Boko Haram suspects in Lagos.
The Associated Press quotes an unnamed security official as saying that the secret detention centre would hold and interrogate suspected high-level members of the radical Islamist sect, responsible for hundreds of killings this year alone.
While the facility could create a more cohesive effort among disparate and sometimes feuding security agencies in Nigeria to combat the sect known as Boko Haram, it raises concerns about its possible use for torture and illegal detentions, AP reports.
The prison is in Lagos, far from the violence plaguing the country’s predominantly Muslim north, where Boko Haram carries out frequent bombings and ambushes, said the security official, who is directly involved in the project. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the facility with journalists.
“All suspects arrested will be taken to the centre and would be interrogated by a security group,” the official said. He declined to say exactly where it is or how many inmates it can hold.
He said authorities are arranging to transport suspects to Lagos.
The detention centre was created on the orders of National Security Adviser, Gen. Owoye Azazi, the official said.
Azazi’s telephone number is unlisted and the AP was unable to contact him for comment.
The Director-General of the State Security Service, Ekpeyong Ita, declined to comment on Thursday when the AP asked him about the prison.
Minutes later, secret police spokeswoman Marilyn Ogar called an AP journalist and said anyone with information about the purported prison should go to the courts instead of talking to journalists. She refused to confirm or deny the prison’s existence.
“Whatever we do, we’re running a democratic system that respects the rule of law,” the spokeswoman said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-to-relocate-boko-haram-suspects-to-lagos/
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Johndoe100(m): 3:18am On Apr 20, 2012
gidiMonsta: I detest this idea of having a 'secret' detention centre in Lagos :|. Its not even secret anymore since a loud mouth 'intelligence' officer decided to leak it to the press, this shi.t stinks of a conspiracy by the powers that be to destabilize Lagos, a payback for the #OccupyNigeria debacle.

How do you come to such an outlandish conclusion?

1 Like

Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by joeyfire(m): 8:59am On Apr 20, 2012
Even if they are taking them to the sahara desert must it go public? I don tire for this media hogging security agencies

1 Like

Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Nobody: 9:22am On Apr 20, 2012
If nt lagos where else? If BH shud bomb lagos because of ∂α†, SW am sure will need some back up frm SS & SE. Thats †ЂΞ idea. ₪Obody shud feel unconcerned henceforth, its A̶̲̥̅ national issue, hence, it must go round ǰU̶̲̥̅̊§τ̲̅ like oil revenue too.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Nobody: 9:49am On Apr 20, 2012
Why lagos? Why SW? why not bayelsa?
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Korrection(m): 9:49am On Apr 20, 2012
Na wao...I bet soon we will all know the location cos nothing is secret in Nigeria except when those guys in highest government places wants to steal money using bullion vans on sanitation saturdays...Truely these guys are inviting the BH boys to Lagos..If BK guys hit Lagos ..na bad thing oh....
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Willywilly9: 9:54am On Apr 20, 2012
bennyraz: Why lagos? Why SW? why not bayelsa?
Is Lagos not a Nigeria state,
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 9:55am On Apr 20, 2012
OMG!!! shocked is it not the same BOKO-HARAM terrorists that have a penchant for escaping under tight Police Security!! This is a failed Move indeed.
How are we sure the usually calm (and business-like) Northern-brothers will not be drawn into the BH ideology and perhaps become apologetic to the detention of their fellow Muslim Brothers. Lagos is a touchy and heavily populated area. Beer-palors and Churches aplomb grin grin
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Nobody: 10:00am On Apr 20, 2012
shymmex: Why Lagos?

Why not Bayelsa, or somewhere in SE where northerners are not many??

This government is clueless..

Because I have families in Lagos this is a bad idea, No where in the south is good for terrorist detention.
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by suolboy(m): 10:05am On Apr 20, 2012
I dey laugh. See Lagos guys becoming afraid of Boko Haram after u'v been speeling shit about us here in the north. I hope they keep them the house of most Lagos nairalanders. Good for that noisy and fucking Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by DAY12(m): 10:08am On Apr 20, 2012
heheheheh I laff my ass out!

Lag-Haram!
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by glowithdan(m): 10:11am On Apr 20, 2012
[quote author=CHESSBOARD]

Because I have families in Lagos this is a bad idea, No where in the south is good for terrorist detention.[/quote

Still on same issue; WHY LAGOS of all places? They better look for a zoo to accommodate those animals!!
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by suolboy(m): 10:12am On Apr 20, 2012
hahahahahahahah, i dey laugh in yoruba and eko. Lagos Haram is here o
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Ariyke: 10:14am On Apr 20, 2012
By doing dat i think they are endangering all lagosians lives hw can they think of bringing terrorists to lagos of all place after we'll start hearing boko haram claiming lives n our security officers will tell us to stay calm n go about our daily activities mtcheww
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by waistbead: 10:15am On Apr 20, 2012
This is a new one.Normally special detention centres are sited as remote away from d major commercial/administrative hobs of a country as possible,but here dey want to bring d terrorists as close enuf to people as is possible.Anyway,I doubt d story sha.
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by emsquare(m): 10:22am On Apr 20, 2012
Why Lagos?
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by lafuria1(m): 10:25am On Apr 20, 2012
Lagos doesn't make sense. Detention centres are located in region of low population. Just like USA havin a centre in new york, or UK haveing theirs in london. Tell me where in lago, lekki? Epe or ikorudo or perhaps close to alausa. My state niger state is perfect location, large land mass with hills. U can locate it there without any prblm.
My biggest prblm is nigerians shldnt know where d location is. It cud be in otuoke for all I care so long as pple don't know it is there all will be well.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by ifihearam: 10:25am On Apr 20, 2012
Lagos is Nigeria's commercial capital for the love of God, every reasonable government takes such facilities to remote places. Why lagos?? Why not a place that is densely populated by muslims

Abi na anoda ploy by the govt.?
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Delafruita(m): 10:26am On Apr 20, 2012
i still dont believe this story.i dont think jonathan is that stupid as to locate such a sensitive place in lagos.i really dont think such a place can be kept secret in lagos besides its bound to attract unfavourable attacks to lagos.would have been better to cite thie "guatanamo" on the high seas or in the desert
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by lanrock(m): 10:27am On Apr 20, 2012
TINUBU, FASHOLA, LAGOS RESIDENTS GENERALLY, WILL WE ALLOW GEJ TO SETS THESE PEOPLE EYE TO SOUTH WEST. WHY NOT BAYELSA OR PORT HACOURT. RUBBISHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
Re: FG To Relocate Boko Haram Suspects To Secret Detention Centre In Lagos by Donmeca(m): 10:28am On Apr 20, 2012
For doz shouting "y lagos?...y not bayelsa?....y not SE?, etc," d question shud av bn "where else, if not Lagos?"

1. Lagos is very far frm BH stronholds....they will find it difficult attacking lag for d release of detainees...plus d OPC angle
2. Lagos is a big state where we hav d bedrock of our police intelligence apparatus...if its not Abuja, den it has to b Lag in terms of security
3. Lagos residents r more enlightened and as such more security conscious dan oda Nigerians...so d possibility of radicalisation and jailbreaks is reduced.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Count Down To Nigeria's 53rd Independence Day / PDP To Buhari: For Peaceful Polls, Let IG Retire Jan 15 / #takeitback Movement: Pictures From Aac's Grassroots Campaign Rally In Niger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.