Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Are Atheists Winning? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Atheists Winning? (2684 Views)

Why Are Atheists All Over The World So Slow And Irrational / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 11:51am On Apr 20, 2012
Are atheists winning on nairaland?

I see topics on NL where the OP is begging his fellow christians/mulsims not to engage in arguments/debates.

I see atheists getting heavily involved in religious threads on NL.

I see some christians getting intellectually punished by atheists on NL.

So what do you think? (As an atheist, I will of course side with atheists)

2 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 12:56pm On Apr 20, 2012
Any input from christians?
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by Callotti: 12:58pm On Apr 20, 2012
Of course we are winning.
We used to be silent. . .but not anymore.
God bless J-America.
Forget Nigeria. . .Animals will have the rights to phock humans before human rights are respected in the whole of Africa kpa-kpa!

Freedom of choice!!! cool
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by DeepSight(m): 1:06pm On Apr 20, 2012
Any person who thinks that debates between atheistic positions and theistic positions are about "winning" is a very sorry soul. Such a soul has yet to ponder the poignance of its existence in the first place.

As a dear atheist friend of mine on this forum said [Jayriginal], God cannot be argued into or out of existence. If it exists, no amount of arguments will kill it. If it does not exist, no amount of arguments will create it.

3 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 1:10pm On Apr 20, 2012
Deep Sight:
Any person who thinks that debates between atheistic positions and theistic positions are about "winning" is a very sorry soul. Such a soul has yet to ponder the poignance of its existence in the first place.

As a dear atheist friend of mine on this forum said [Jayriginal], God cannot be argued into or out of existence. If it exists, no amount of arguments will kill it. If it does not exist, no amount of arguments will create it.

Like an arrogant douchebag, you didnt ask about the parameters of winning. What do I consider as winning?

-making religious people have doubts and critically think about their religion
-making more atheists from religious people
-Making better arguments than theists.

Any of these 3 would suffice
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 1:11pm On Apr 20, 2012
Callotti: Of course we are winning.
We used to be silent. . .but not anymore.
God bless J-America.
Forget Nigeria. . .Animals will have the rights to phock humans before human rights are respected in the whole of Africa kpa-kpa!

Freedom of choice!!! cool

You are quite vulgar but you are DAMN RIGHT!!!!
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by emofine2(f): 1:16pm On Apr 20, 2012
The arguments here more often than not are solely aimed to provoke thus the frequency of collision which some are now trying to avoid in what several see as a futile and tedious exercise.

I don’t see why there should be disharmony due to our various beliefs or lack of nor should it even be a competition.

What do I consider as winning?
. . .
. . .

Hmm the evangelical atheist? undecided
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by DeepSight(m): 1:18pm On Apr 20, 2012
logicboy:

Like an arrogant douchebag,

Slow down on the heavy words there.

you didnt ask about the parameters of winning. What do I consider as winning?

Atheism does not do this. It rather makes many religionists retreat further and deeper into their faith. The fundamental premise of atheism is a notion that mosts theists will never take seriously, and quite right so.

What rather acheives the above is not atheism, but healthy, open minded criticism which is definitely not militantly or evangelically atheist.

How is this a good thing?

I say with firm certitude to you sir: that there is not one single atheistic argument that rhymes with common sense or accords with science.
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 1:22pm On Apr 20, 2012
emöfine2: The arguments here more often than not are solely aimed to provoke thus the frequency of collision which some are now trying to avoid in what several see as a futile and tedious exercise.

I don’t see why there should be disharmony due to our various beliefs or lack of nor should it even be a competition.

Hmm the evangelical atheist? undecided

I wouldnt be an evangelical atheist if my country was being nurtured with religion. Religion has added to the misery of Nigeria. Boko Haram, torture of child witches, money laundering pastors, division of Nigeria etc.

And you are right. This is simple psychology; provoke a reaction, provoke thinking. If i call you a fool, it is only natural for you to ponder why I called you a fool. If I say the bible supports slavery........
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 1:30pm On Apr 20, 2012
Deep Sight:

Atheism does not do this. It rather makes many religionists retreat further and deeper into their faith. The fundamental premise of atheism is a notion that mosts theists will never take seriously, and quite right so.

What rather acheives the above is not atheism, but healthy, open minded criticism which is definitely not militantly or evangelically atheist.

How is this a good thing?

I say with firm certitude to you sir: that there is not one single atheistic argument that rhymes with common sense or accords with science.

A theist has one more reason to murder than an atheist. God.

What is open minded discussion/criticism? You theists can claim that anything is blasphemy. Try and discuss slavery in the bible/koran which is factual with theists and you would get 3 sets of people;

a) religious people who will discuss the matter
b) religious people who will call you a blashpeming idiot
c) religious people that will murder you

Why are most respected scientists atheists?
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by DeepSight(m): 1:38pm On Apr 20, 2012
logicboy:

A theist has one more reason to murder than an atheist. God.

This is false. God has never been a reason for anybody's acts of murder. Greed and power in the name of religion rather are.

What is open minded discussion/criticism? You theists can claim that anything is blasphemy. Try and discuss slavery in the bible/koran which is factual with theists and you would get 3 sets of people;

a) religious people who will discuss the matter
b) religious people who will call you a blashpeming idiot
c) religious people that will murder you

Reflecting on this only shows that the common denominator (religion) is not the problem. If it were, why do you have category A in your above?

Why are most respected scientists atheists?

Don't make general claims, produce statistics. Besides if most scientists in Norway for example are agnostic, that would largely be because most of the population is agnostic anyway. Nothing special there.
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by Jenwitemi(m): 1:40pm On Apr 20, 2012
Why the insultive word, though? Is that another sign of atheists winning theological debates?
logicboy:

Like an arrogant douchebag, you didnt ask about the parameters of winning. What do I consider as winning?

Any of these 3 would suffice
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 1:47pm On Apr 20, 2012
Deep Sight:

This is false. God has never been a reason for anybody's acts of murder. Greed and power in the name of religion rather are.

Reflecting on this only shows that the common denominator (religion) is not the problem. If it were, why do you have category A in your above?

Don't make general claims, produce statistics. Besides if most scientists in Norway for example are agnostic, that would largely be because most of the population is agnostic anyway. Nothing special there.

1) What about crusaders? Warriors of God? Executioner or God? Blashpemy laws to execute for insulting God? Why are you in denial?

2) Category A is for people like you. Unfortunately some people WILL ALWAYS take religion to the extreme. Let's get rid of religion

3) America is a religious country with 83% religious people while in the National academy of Science has 72.2% atheists. Explain that

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/1998/08/25/science-academy-godless
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States#Christianity
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 1:49pm On Apr 20, 2012
Jenwitemi: Why the insultive word, though? Is that another sign of atheists winning theological debates?

Sorry, I really felt that he was on a high horse and smirking there
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by DeepSight(m): 1:52pm On Apr 20, 2012
logicboy:

1) What about crusaders? Warriors of God? Executioner or God? Blashpemy laws to execute for insulting God? Why are you in denial?

Nothing to do with God. Greed, Power and empire building are your answers.

3) America is a religious country with 83% religious people while in the National academy of Science has 72.2% atheists. Explain that

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/1998/08/25/science-academy-godless
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States#Christianity

Scientists don't exist only in the United States, do they? Anyhow that is actually beside the point. You sought to show that "converting" more atheists is a good thing. How does your statistic show that to be a good thing? Are the scientists who are atheist, by that reason alone, better people and better human beings than their theist compatriots?
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 2:06pm On Apr 20, 2012
Deep Sight:

Nothing to do with God. Greed, Power and empire building are your answers.

Scientists don't exist only in the United States, do they? Anyhow that is actually beside the point. You sought to show that "converting" more atheists is a good thing. How does your statistic show that to be a good thing? Are the scientists who are atheist, by that reason alone, better people and better human beings than their theist compatriots?

1) Blasphemy is insulting God. If you are punished by death for blasphemy, you were killed for God. Simple

2) The same pattern is in the UK as well. Being an accredited scientist requires a degree of intelligence. As for religion and intelligence, there are enough studies that show that religion has a converse relationship with intelligence.

The point that I was trying to make is that atheism is scientific. Belief in God requires faith not evidence. Disbelief in God relies on the lack of evidence and redundance of God in life and natural processes that science has understood (eg photosynthesis, infection, mutation, adaptation etc)
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by DeepSight(m): 2:22pm On Apr 20, 2012
You speak about processes such as photosynthesis, adaptation, etc. That misses the point because the question of God's existence is about how the matter and energy that led to these processes exist in the first place? Do they magically pop out of nothingness? Is that scientific?

When you say that religion has an invesrse relationship to intelligence, I think thats is a presumption, and a high-handed one at that. I disagree: Geniuses the world over are often deeply religious people. I mean you cannot look at people of outstanding accomplishment globally and think that the fact that they are religious renders them less intelligent. Its a fallacy. Very soon you will be telling us that Barack Obama is less intelligent on account that he is a person of religious faith?

Atheism is NOT scientific. The fact that many scientists may be atheists does nothing to make atheism scientific. Infact, as I said earlier, atheism is anti-thetical to every known scientific canon. Scientific laws thoroughly negate the premises of atheism. As far as science is concerned, the laws of motion, laws of cause and effect, all tie up with the experiments of Loius Pasteur which show, up till date, that life only comes from pre-existing life

Arguing the contrary will amount to toeing the long discreditted perspective of spontaenous generation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_generation

Might I add, all succeeding theories about the generation of first life in a pre-biotic soup, have yet to be proven. Until the day such is replicated in a laboratory, you must quit the dribble about "science" supporting atheism. Not that such a replication would disprove the existence of God, because the path from unicellular organism to human being is a path that is treacherous for the scientist.

As such, atheism is indeed eminently unscientific.
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 2:36pm On Apr 20, 2012
Deep Sight: You speak about processes such as photosynthesis, adaptation, etc. That misses the point because the question of God's existence is about how the matter and energy that led to these processes exist in the first place? Do they magically pop out of nothingness? Is that scientific?

When you say that religion has an invesrse relationship to intelligence, I think thats is a presumption, and a high-handed one at that. I disagree: Geniuses the world over are often deeply religious people. I mean you cannot look at people of outstanding accomplishment globally and think that the fact that they are religious renders them less intelligent. Its a fallacy. Very soon you will be telling us that Barack Obama is less intelligent on account that he is a person of religious faith?

Atheism is NOT scientific. The fact that many scientists may be atheists does nothing to make atheism scientific. Infact, as I said earlier, atheism is anti-thetical to every known scientific canon. Scientific laws thoroughly negate the premises of atheism. As far as science is concerned, the laws of motion, laws of cause and effect, all tie up with the experiments of Loius Pasteur which show, up till date, that life only comes from pre-existing life

Arguing the contrary will amount to toeing the long discreditted perspective of spontaenous generation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_generation

As such, atheism is indeed eminently unscientific.

1) You can feel free with arguing with hard evidence. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence
Religion and intelligence do not go hand in hand. It is not to say that all religious people are idiots. It is just saying that you are less likely to believe in God if you are of a higer IQ.

Obama is not a perfect example of intelligence. Many others went to harvard and became president. Bush did and was he smart? Obama is smart but not your best example

2) Are you saying that the scientists who understand the big bang are not thinking when they choose to be atheists? As for the dark matter and big bang mumbo jumbo, can you show me a scientist that will say that it proves creationism or God?
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Apr 20, 2012
And this is coming from logicboy who on another claimed Israel is in Europe... a waste of time and internet connection..
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 2:38pm On Apr 20, 2012
musKeeto: And this is coming from logicboy who on another claimed Israel is in Europe... a waste of time and internet connection..

Isreal is politically in Europe. It must really pain you that I pwned you in that argument. Yu thought that I was talking geographically. Must be annoying that you walked into the argument with confidence and left shattered!
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by DeepSight(m): 2:48pm On Apr 20, 2012
logicboy:

1) You can feel free with arguing with hard evidence. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiosity_and_intelligence
Religion and intelligence do not go hand in hand. It is not to say that all religious people are idiots. It is just saying that you are less likely to believe in God if you are of a higer IQ.

You need to understand that believing in God is not the same thing as being Religious. Alot of people who believe in God are entirely non-religious.

It is false to say that a higher IQ creates a greater likelihood of being an atheist.

Obama is not a perfect example of intelligence. Many others went to harvard and became president. Bush did and was he smart? Obama is smart but not your best example

What has Havard got to do with this? Why are you shying away by introducing Havard or even the presidency. I mentioned neither. I mentioned only a man, Barack Obama, and his faith. By your own attestation, you had said that no creationist can be intelligent: that was your statement, was it not? Barack is a creationist, and you admit he is very intelligent indeed: so your initial boast simply has been put to sleep, period.

2) Are you saying that the scientists who understand the big bang are not thinking when they choose to be atheists?

Yes.

And by the way, there is no scientist on this planet who understands the big b.ang. Knowledge about it is scanty, and still very much being researched.

As for the dark matter and big bang mumbo jumbo, can you show me a scientist that will say that it proves creationism or God?

You are getting distracted by something, is there a se.xy secretary in your office strutting about? Lol, I never mentioned these. I simply drew your attention to the fact that scientifically, it is proven that life only comes from pre existing life. That is very solidly scientifically proven. Suppositions to the contrary are not proven: they are speculations. This renders the position of the theist in line with proven science.

Thus, atheism is unscientific.

PS: Is Israel also 'politically' in North America?

1 Like

Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 3:07pm On Apr 20, 2012
Deep Sight:

You need to understand that believing in God is not the same thing as being Religious. Alot of people who believe in God are entirely non-religious.

It is false to say that a higher IQ creates a greater likelihood of being an atheist.

What has Havard got to do with this? Why are you shying away by introducing Havard or even the presidency. I mentioned neither. I mentioned only a man, Barack Obama, and his faith. By your own attestation, you had said that no creationist can be intelligent: that was your statement, was it not? Barack is a creationist, and you admit he is very intelligent indeed: so your initial boast simply has been put to sleep, period.

Yes.

And by the way, there is no scientist on this planet who understands the big b.ang. Knowledge about it is scanty, and still very much being researched.

You are getting distracted by something, is there a se.xy secretary in your office strutting about? Lol, I never mentioned these. I simply drew your attention to the fact that scientifically, it is proven that life only comes from pre existing life. That is very solidly scientifically proven. Suppositions to the contrary are not proven: they are speculations. This renders the position of the theist in line with proven science.

Thus, atheism is unscientific.

PS: Is Israel also 'politically' in North America?

Well, if life comes from life, then God has to come from another life. Endless cycle? Or am I wrong?

Does isreal partake in North American trade agreements? Does it partake in North American sporting events?

Isreal is in the European champions league for a reason
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by DeepSight(m): 3:11pm On Apr 20, 2012
logicboy:

Well, if life comes from life, then God has to come from another life. Endless cycle? Or am I wrong?

Of course that is true of all life we have observed in this realm.

This can only mean that there is a pre-existent life.

That pre-existent life which is the cause we refer to is intangible and thus eternal.

Material life is tangible and thus not eternal.

Does isreal partake in North American trade agreements? Does it partake in North American sporting events?

Isreal is in the European champions league for a reason

Gotcha. Don't even know the discussion you guys were referring to. Can you give me the link?

[/quote]
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 3:38pm On Apr 20, 2012
Deep Sight:

Of course that is true of all life we have observed in this realm.

This can only mean that there is a pre-existent life.

That pre-existent life which is the cause we refer to is intangible and thus eternal.

Material life is tangible and thus not eternal.

Gotcha. Don't even know the discussion you guys were referring to. Can you give me the link?

I will look for the link for the discussion.

As for material and intangibel lives, you should know that I will never believe in an intangible life since I am an atheist

Re: Are Atheists Winning? by Blackteeth(m): 4:14pm On Apr 20, 2012
Now I suspect logicboy to be a theist or an atheist who has long accepted the truth. I guess he is just playing arround and pretendind to be an atheists.
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 20, 2012
@DeepSight: https://www.nairaland.com/913787/5-things-that-turn-christians/4#10639520
Get ready to be really disappointed..
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 4:43pm On Apr 20, 2012
Blackteeth: Now I suspect logicboy to be a theist or an atheist who has long accepted the truth. I guess he is just playing arround and pretendind to be an atheists.

Huh? I'm an atheist.
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 4:43pm On Apr 20, 2012
musKeeto: @DeepSight: https://www.nairaland.com/913787/5-things-that-turn-christians/4#10639520
Get ready to be really disappointed..

I weep for your ignorance cry
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by DeepSight(m): 4:51pm On Apr 20, 2012
I have read the link and I must say it was glaring from the context of the first usage that our logicboy did indeed think Israel is in Europe. Funny enough, the subsequent excuses, such as Trade Agreements and Sports, are actually economic matters. As far as political alliances go, the United States, as you mentioned, is actually Israel's cheif allied party in International Politics.
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 5:25pm On Apr 20, 2012
Deep Sight:
I have read the link and I must say it was glaring from the context of the first usage that our logicboy did indeed think Israel is in Europe. Funny enough, the subsequent excuses, such as Trade Agreements and Sports, are actually economic matters. As far as political alliances go, the United States, as you mentioned, is actually Israel's cheif allied party in International Politics.

Glaring that what? I always known that Isreal is politically in Europe.

"the United States, as you mentioned, is actually Israel's cheif allied party in International Politics. [/quote]"

Really?

1) Isreal has more political affiliations with Europe and so you lie. Please compare;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel%E2%80%93European_Union_relations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel%E2%80%93United_States_relations

Isreal with the USA is mostly military and foriegn aid

Isreal with EU or Europe;
-EU-Isreal Association agreement
-EU trade- EU is Isreal's major trading partner
-Open skies Agreement with Eu for cheap air travel

2) Trade agreements are more political than economic. Do you engage in bilateral trade with a political enemy?
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by logicboy: 5:27pm On Apr 20, 2012
Deep Sight:

Furthermore, did you miss the part where Muskeeto said that Isreal is not Western?

Or where he mentioned BRICS as if they were an organistation or trading countries?
Re: Are Atheists Winning? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Apr 20, 2012
If you don't know what BRICS is, why not google it... according to you
logicboy:

Google is your friend. It's your choice to be ignorant.

And can you post where I said Israel isn't western...

I think you're a young man who has just found freedom outside the walls of religion. Enjoy it while it lasts. I doubt you'd still be posting this frequently next week...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Is The God Of Chosen? – A Python! / Powerful And Potent Spiritually Charged Names From Divinity / My Trips To Heaven,hades And Under The Ocean,other Visions And Visitations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.