Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,336 members, 7,954,375 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 05:50 PM

North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere (9988 Views)

North Will Never Discover Oil In Chad Basin – Shehu Sani / North Will Reject Buhari, APC In 2019 —iwuanyanwu / Go And Tell Your Father Shut UP- Afenifere Tells Kwankwaso (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Ddaji(m): 1:22pm On Apr 20, 2012
Afenifere Leader, Dr. Reuben Fasoranti, has cautioned the Northern leaders against their threat that the North is not afraid of the breaking of Nigeria.

A leader of the Arewa Elders Forum, Prof. Ango Abdulahi, on Wednesday said the North was prepared to go alone if the nation breaks up, adding that the North would not, however, champion the disintegration of the country.

Fasoranti told our correspondent in an interview in Akure that the news came to him as a shock.

He said, “I strongly appeal to the Northern leaders against such move because it would never be in their interest.

“They obviously don’t know the implication of such action and they should better don’t take a hasty decision they would forever live to regret.

“They would definitely benefit better if they remain in the same federation with the south because their own resources are limited.

“Their natural resources cannot possibly sustain them so they should not take any hasty decison because of the prevailing circumstance.”

The Arewa Consultant Forum, the umbralla body for the North, however, remained evasive regarding the position of Abdullahi, preferring to tacitly endorsing a united Nigeria.

ACF National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Anthony Sani, said on Thursday. “Professor Ango Abdullahi merely echoed what has been said several times that the North is committed to a united Nigeria in diversity not out of fear that the region cannot exist without oil but because of our deep and wide interdependence among constituent parts that make divorce impossible.

“Moreover, the size of the country is a huge advantage not just now but in future when the economy picks up. As result, the North would not be the cause of any contemplated break up.”

Ohanaeze Ndigbo dismissed Abdullahi’s threat, describing his submission as pointless.

The Deputy President General of the apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Chief Gary Igariwey, said, “We cannot react to such threats. Anybody could come from anywhere to make threats of breakup or secession, so it’s pointless reacting to such.”

He added, “There are so many groups now seeking attention, but there are those we recognise, like the Arewa Consultative Forum.

“Even if it comes from the Arewa Consultative Forum, it must come from the right people in the group, not just anybody.”

Coordinator of the Federation of Middle Belt Peoples, Mr. Manasseh Watyil, distanced the zone from the position of the Northern leaders.

Watyil said, “Who are the Northerness? We better distinguish between the owners of the North. If they want Nigeria to break that mean they are going back to where they came from. That will not affect the Middle Belt; they are free to go.

He added, “It is because of these challenges that the Middle Belt is calling for true federalism or Sovereign National Conference if we will stay together.”

A member of the Ulam council in Plateau State, Mallam Sani Muazu, however lamented the penchant for people or group to claim that they were speaking for the North.

He said there was nothing called one monolithic North, adding that there were no issues that could warrant any breakup of the country. Muazu said what united the country was more than what could divide it.

He said, “Who is the voice of the North? What is the criteria used in determining that voice? Is there one monolithic north? What are the issues at stake that warrants a breakup? Who is agitating for that? To achieve what?”source.www.punchng.com
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Ejine(m): 1:33pm On Apr 20, 2012

North’ll regret break-up –Afenifere
APRIL 20, 2012 BY JUDE OWUAMANAM,SUNDAY ABORISHADE,OZIOMA UBABUKOH AND DAVID ATTAH 223 COMMENTS

Afenifere Leader, Dr. Reuben Fasoranti

Afenifere Leader, Dr. Reuben Fasoranti, has cautioned the Northern leaders against their threat that the North is not afraid of the breaking of Nigeria.

A leader of the Arewa Elders Forum, Prof. Ango Abdulahi, on Wednesday said the North was prepared to go alone if the nation breaks up, adding that the North would not, however, champion the disintegration of the country.

Fasoranti told our correspondent in an interview in Akure that the news came to him as a shock.

He said, “I strongly appeal to the Northern leaders against such move because it would never be in their interest.

“They obviously don’t know the implication of such action and they should better don’t take a hasty decision they would forever live to regret.

“They would definitely benefit better if they remain in the same federation with the south because their own resources are limited.

“Their natural resources cannot possibly sustain them so they should not take any hasty decison because of the prevailing circumstance.”

The Arewa Consultant Forum, the umbralla body for the North, however, remained evasive regarding the position of Abdullahi, preferring to tacitly endorsing a united Nigeria.

ACF National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Anthony Sani, said on Thursday. “Professor Ango Abdullahi merely echoed what has been said several times that the North is committed to a united Nigeria in diversity not out of fear that the region cannot exist without oil but because of our deep and wide interdependence among constituent parts that make divorce impossible.

“Moreover, the size of the country is a huge advantage not just now but in future when the economy picks up. As result, the North would not be the cause of any contemplated break up.”

Ohanaeze Ndigbo dismissed Abdullahi’s threat, describing his submission as pointless.

The Deputy President General of the apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Chief Gary Igariwey, said, “We cannot react to such threats. Anybody could come from anywhere to make threats of breakup or secession, so it’s pointless reacting to such.”

He added, “There are so many groups now seeking attention, but there are those we recognise, like the Arewa Consultative Forum.

“Even if it comes from the Arewa Consultative Forum, it must come from the right people in the group, not just anybody.”

Coordinator of the Federation of Middle Belt Peoples, Mr. Manasseh Watyil, distanced the zone from the position of the Northern leaders.

Watyil said, “Who are the Northerness? We better distinguish between the owners of the North. If they want Nigeria to break that mean they are going back to where they came from. That will not affect the Middle Belt; they are free to go.

He added, “It is because of these challenges that the Middle Belt is calling for true federalism or Sovereign National Conference if we will stay together.”

A member of the Ulam council in Plateau State, Mallam Sani Muazu, however lamented the penchant for people or group to claim that they were speaking for the North.

He said there was nothing called one monolithic North, adding that there were no issues that could warrant any breakup of the country. Muazu said what united the country was more than what could divide it.

He said, “Who is the voice of the North? What is the criteria used in determining that voice? Is there one monolithic north? What are the issues at stake that warrants a breakup? Who is agitating for that? To achieve what?”

http://www.punchng.com/news/northll-regret-break-up-afenifere/

wink
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Ejine(m): 1:41pm On Apr 20, 2012
Here are some interesting posts in response to the Article:

Nick said:
Ninety percent of nigeria’s arable land is in the north. Who would feed the south- those calling for a breakup in nigeria are fools

Emperor replied him:
Feed the south? Did you just say feed the south? What a loafer you are! Aren’t you aware that Nigeria is the 2nd highest importer of rice, highest importer of wheat, imports so many edibles even garri, frozen fish & chicken, things that we do produce! And don’t you ever presume that no sort of farming activities goes on in the south, with your ridiculous assertion of 90% arable land in the desert! Just yesterday, it was reported that LASG acquired land from Osun for agric. Peasant farmers in Ebonyi state alone produces rice, yam, beans, palm oil, garri etc & has the capacity to feed 4 states when the agric potentials are properly harnessed & mechanized. Cross River boasts of same products as Ebonyi. Benue, middlebelt, is the food basket of the country. SW also has tremendous agric potentials. The noise about north feeding the country is silly hogwash. Even if that’s the case, their departure creates market & increases demand for the southern farmers because necessity is the mother of invention. Please, don’t always be in a hurry to broadcast your ignorance here, learn to make informed contributions.

grin grin grin grin grin grin #death!
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by belovedaja(m): 4:06pm On Apr 20, 2012
Let nigeria break up
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by achi4u(m): 4:20pm On Apr 20, 2012
everybody will regreat the spliting of the country...untill then we will know that we loved each other,but...

infact let the country break/fast
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by DaLover(m): 8:08pm On Apr 20, 2012
Apparently Afenifere don't want their masters and partners in crime to go
What a shame
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by ektbear: 8:59pm On Apr 20, 2012
I don't get the point of this statement.

What business is yours how good/bad the north does after Nigeria breaks up?

Why is it his concern?
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by BlackPikiN(m): 9:24pm On Apr 20, 2012
Who is this invisible Anthony Sani?
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by DaLover(m): 9:51pm On Apr 20, 2012
ekt_bear: I don't get the point of this statement.

What business is yours how good/bad the north does after Nigeria breaks up?

Why is it his concern?
Of-course,He is expressing his concern about loosing his master... where will he get future leadership and direction?
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by ektbear: 10:23pm On Apr 20, 2012
I don't know much about this guy (Reuben Fasoranti), but I've never heard of him being some sort of north lover
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Beaf: 10:25pm On Apr 20, 2012
I am very very concerned about Nigeria's "brak-up" O! What does dis means? grin
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by DaLover(m): 10:52pm On Apr 20, 2012
ekt_bear: I don't know much about this guy (Reuben Fasoranti), but I've never heard of him being some sort of north lover

I think he was referring to the mutually beneficial and symbiotic relationship between SW and core north, where despite their differences they have partnered successfully to plunder the wealth of the nation. Afenifere is is afraid the breakup will lead to a loss of this relationship.
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by ektbear: 10:59pm On Apr 20, 2012
If that is his analysis/motivation, then I think that it is arguably off.

A good case can be made for being better off apart...

Certainly the direction the economy has been heading over the past 15 years or so (with oil wealth a shrinking part of the overall economy), I'm not convinced that the most intelligent thing to do is to want Nigeria to remain one by all means.

Likely one can achieve higher growth apart than together...

Anyway, if that is his motivation and he speaks out of what he thinks is the best for the SW rather than useless concern about someone else's problems, then I can respect it.
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 20, 2012
DaLover:

I think he was referring to the mutually beneficial and symbiotic relationship between SW and core north, where despite their differences they have partnered successfully to plunder the wealth of the nation. Afenifere is is afraid the breakup will lead to a loss of this relationship.

na true talk be dat o.
sw na leeches just like north
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by DaLover(m): 11:16pm On Apr 20, 2012
ekt_bear: If that is his analysis/motivation, then I think that it is arguably off.

A good case can be made for being better off apart...

Certainly the direction the economy has been heading over the past 15 years or so (with oil wealth a shrinking part of the overall economy), I'm not convinced that the most intelligent thing to do is to want Nigeria to remain one by all means.

Likely one can achieve higher growth apart than together...

Anyway, if that is his motivation and he speaks out of what he thinks is the best for the SW rather than useless concern about someone else's problems, then I can respect it.

Being weaned of free crude oil is very hard...just see the subsidy issue in January.....It has now become a right to have free access to someone else resources via power of the state...then share to everyone as free for all....
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by ektbear: 11:21pm On Apr 20, 2012
This is just classic short term versus long term stuff.

It might be painful at first, but I am pretty damn sure that I can build a more successful country with my part of Nigeria than the present situation...
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Nobody: 11:23pm On Apr 20, 2012
^^^How will you do that?
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Beaf: 11:24pm On Apr 20, 2012
ekt_bear: This is just classic short term versus long term stuff.

It might be painful at first, but I am pretty damn sure that I can build a more successful country with my part of Nigeria than the present situation...
Sadly, many are too shortsighted to see this. The average person has become a mentally lazy being with no pride that cannot picture a life without oil.
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Musiwa49: 11:25pm On Apr 20, 2012
May be He did not say it, and the normal lies by newspaper. If he did say so, He is not speaking for the Western Niger people. he may be speaking for himself.

You see, After several bombing in Nigeria.. Nobody want to get killed. Western Niger too want to leave.

After several bombing, no normal person will want to see bomb.

Newspapers tell lies alot in Nigeria.

I can confidently tell you, the Western Niger want to leave.

The north will not regret, The north supply the south $30 billion food. Why would they regret, when they start collecting cash dollar..

The north have seen the satellite pictures. And is there oil in abia that the north want money from. No.. No oil. Oil marketer and Oil subsidy....

the north should understand that there are 41 tax office in the North, ijaw people have just 1 tax office.. Igbo people have just 11 tax office.. what does that tell the north about nigeria income...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25dL1Wj-ygg&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y22BTb5CqM&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP1rk3dpJKU&feature=related
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by ektbear: 11:31pm On Apr 20, 2012
shymmex: ^^^How will you do that?

1. Electricity.
2. Federalism...LG as the basic unit of government. Possibly even smaller than this.
3. Reduced bureaucracy and red tape.
4. Dramatically shrink the cost of governance.
5. Spend a lot of time hunting for investment. Factories, outsourcing facilities, call centers...basically any area where we might have a competitive advantage.

This are just a few of the obvious things...I've said more ideas in the past but never written up say a blueprint that assembles all of them
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Nobody: 11:31pm On Apr 20, 2012
Beaf:
Sadly, many are too shortsighted to see this. The average person has become a mentally lazy being with no pride that cannot picture a life without oil.

Everything about you is oil - but the funniest thing is that, your ethnic group don't produce any oil.. And Lagos, which is not even an oil producing state - contributes 18% of Nigeria's GDP - which is higher than what most oil producing states bring into the national wealth..

You used to be intelligent, and knowledgeable - but ethnic chauvinism, and partisan politics have eroded all that.. I guess that's the story of the average Nigerian a la Reuben Abati.
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by ektbear: 11:33pm On Apr 20, 2012
Taxation is another biggie of course
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Nobody: 11:36pm On Apr 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

1. Electricity.
2. Federalism...LG as the basic unit of government. Possibly even smaller than this.
3. Reduced bureaucracy and red tape.
4. Dramatically shrink the cost of governance.
5. Spend a lot of time hunting for investment. Factories, outsourcing facilities, call centers...basically any area where we might have a competitive advantage.

This are just a few of the obvious things...I've said more ideas in the past but never written up say a blueprint that assembles all of them

How will you get money to finance everything, and what about the mentality of the people?? Even if Nigeria breaks up, the people and their mentality won't change - it is still going to be the same people... And how would you deal with the influx of migrants from the former Nigeria - who may be less fortunate in their new republics??
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by DaLover(m): 11:38pm On Apr 20, 2012
shymmex: ^^^How will you do that?

Fear not my guy....if Japan, Switzerland, Germany, and many other countries can be a success without ouil, so can you...

Now close your eyes and repeat the word three time while taping your feet...

"I can survive without oil...."

Now how do you feel?

Our greatest resource should be population not oil..
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by ektbear: 11:40pm On Apr 20, 2012
shymmex:
How will you get money to finance everything
How will I get the money to cut costs and wasteful spending? Elecricity costs money, but if you attach a profit incentive (rather than the current situation in Nigeria), the private sector will take care of it for you.

Federalism doesn't cost money...hunting for investment doesn't cost that much. If you have credible, internationally respected leadership and there is:
a) rule of law
b) less red tape
c) decent infrastructure/electricity

then attracting investment is not impossible.

, and what about the mentality of the people??
Nothing wrong with the mentality of Yoruba folk. Perfectly suitable people to build a country with..

And how would you deal the influx of migrants from the former Nigeria - who may be less fortunate in their new republics??
Same way everybody else deals with this problem...border security
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by DaLover(m): 11:42pm On Apr 20, 2012
ekt_bear:
How will I get the money to cut costs and wasteful spending? Elecricity costs money, but if you attach a profit incentive (rather than the current situation in Nigeria), the private sector will take care of it for you.

Federalism doesn't cost money...hunting for investment doesn't cost that much. If you have credible, internationally respected leadership and there is:
a) rule of law
b) less red tape
c) decent infrastructure/electricity

then attracting investment is not impossible.

Nothing wrong with the mentality of Yoruba folk. Perfectly suitable people to build a country with..

Very sharp thinking, but what prevents us from doing it in Nigeria now?
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Nobody: 11:43pm On Apr 20, 2012
DaLover:

Fear not my guy....if Japan, Switzerland, Germany, and many other countries can be a success without ouil, so can you...

Now close your eyes and repeat the word three time while taping your feet...

Now how do you feel?

Our greatest resource should be population not oil..

No one is talking about oil here. undecided
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Katsumoto: 11:43pm On Apr 20, 2012
ekt_bear: I don't know much about this guy (Reuben Fasoranti), but I've never heard of him being some sort of north lover

He is not a North lover. He is one of those who earned stripes during the June 12/Abacha saga but it appears he has lost his damn mind. The problem with those in Afenifere is that they are not currently relevant in the affairs of the SW. This sometimes makes them to yarn dust.

Nigerian leaders are known for putting self-interest above communal interest. Perhaps he is concerned about how the breakup of Nigeria will affect him and has decided to use that opportunity to send a message to the North.
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Beaf: 11:43pm On Apr 20, 2012
shymmex:

Everything about you is oil - but the funniest thing is that, your ethnic group don't produce any oil.. And Lagos, which is not even an oil producing state - contributes 18% of Nigeria's GDP - which is higher than what most oil producing states bring into the national wealth..

You used to be intelligent, and knowledgeable - but ethnic chauvinism, and partisan politics have eroded all that.. I guess that's the story of the average Nigerian a la Reuben Abati.
The above sounds unbelievably stup!d. angry

The simple issue is how the economy can be diversified and each region become self-reliant. Ok?
Not your daft rant that only reveals a shocking degree of low self esteem. How do you get your phucking region to be self-reliant? How hard is that to tackle as a subject?
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 20, 2012
ekt_bear:

You know we're going to be part of ECOWAS, right??
Re: North Will Regret Break-up - Afenifere by Katsumoto: 11:47pm On Apr 20, 2012
shymmex:

How will you get money to finance everything, and what about the mentality of the people?? Even if Nigeria breaks up, the people and their mentality won't change - it is still going to be the same people... And how would you deal with the influx of migrants from the former Nigeria - who may be less fortunate in their new republics??

What if the foundational problems with Nigeria is what is making the people to have the current mindset that they have?

Don't be afraid to explore all options. Even in business, sometimes a company gets so big that its size gets in the way of shareholder value and must be broken up.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Atiku On The Reported Registration Of New Party / FG Will Soon Ban Fish Importation - Minister / Achike Udenwa Dead?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.