Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,406 members, 7,819,444 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2126) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 (10533090 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2123) (2124) (2125) (2126) (2127) (2128) (2129) ... (19167) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Oasis007(m): 8:58pm On Aug 23, 2016
nateevs:

Sorry. I saw a report we went 4-1 up and Bat scored his third.

undecided

You saw a wrong report! Bat has only scored twice, while Moses 1.

The Scoreline is 3 - 2 now! The Match is still in Play!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by nateevs(m): 9:07pm On Aug 23, 2016
Oasis007:

undecided

You saw a wrong report! Bat has only scored twice, while Moses 1.

The Scoreline is 3 - 2 now! The Match is still in Play!

What's the aggression about? Isn't it obvious this is what I am saying?
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by White007(m): 9:09pm On Aug 23, 2016
If this doesnt scream we need new defenders i dont know what does!!!!!!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by timbros(m): 9:17pm On Aug 23, 2016
.............Begovic............
Azpi...Iva...Cahill...Aina

That backline can hardly keep a clean sheet.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Oasis007(m): 9:25pm On Aug 23, 2016
nateevs:

What's the aggression about? Isn't it obvious this is what I am saying?

grin

Aggression?!

Nah!

Just coming to your aid with correct info!

No Vex!!!
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by timbros(m): 9:36pm On Aug 23, 2016
Oasis007:

grin

Aggression?!

Nah!

Just coming to your aid with correct info!

No Vex!!!

The exclamation marks makes your typing 'sound' aggressive.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by bigkesh(m): 9:53pm On Aug 23, 2016
If Batshuayi continues at this rate he will end the season with 155 goals..... That's average for Super Michy

Messi is a superman but he is no Batman
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by bigkesh(m): 9:57pm On Aug 23, 2016
M expectind us to make another inefficient bid for either Koulibaly or Rogmanoli cause that's the perfect Chelsea thing to do
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by ItGeek(m): 10:35pm On Aug 23, 2016
it will take more than a player to fix this defence. did not watch the match. conceding 2 against this level of position it's not good at all.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by donjazet(m): 10:39pm On Aug 23, 2016
This result is VERY VERY VERY DISAPPOINTING!!!

The only positive being batshauyi.

Liverpool 5:0
Stoke 4:0
Norwich 6:1
Everton 4:0..

It must be noted that all of them(premiel league) teams played away from home and got very impressive results and we had to struggle against a lower side at Stamford bridge...
Not impressive at all!!. angry angry angry

HIGHLIGHTS HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrlc7qS4jSc

If u're impressed like! Unimpressed! Share.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 1:04am On Aug 24, 2016
I remember making it known here last season that fixing the midfield would not put other things into places. Midfielders can't solve a huge defensive problem in the team. I hope conte will act fast.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Funjosh(m): 4:59am On Aug 24, 2016
If we keep on conceding like this, it will be hard to win any trophy. lipsrsealed
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Explorers(m): 5:08am On Aug 24, 2016
Funjosh:
If we keep on conceding like this, it will be hard to win any trophy. lipsrsealed

Bro, u no dey sleep grin
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Funjosh(m): 5:28am On Aug 24, 2016
Explorers:

Bro, u no dey sleep grin

Baba no mind me jare was very tired coming back last night and couldnt watch the game, so i slept very early. How are u
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 6:22am On Aug 24, 2016
If you know a bigger wasteman than Cavani in Europe let me know

Chelsea should actually buy Cavani

https://streamable.com/zkny

2 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Funjosh(m): 6:55am On Aug 24, 2016
raumdeuter:

Cavani again, are we not tired of buying about to retire player lipsrsealed
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by hensben(m): 6:57am On Aug 24, 2016
raumdeuter:

One of those days in a footballer's career. Why not see the positive side of him in that match as well, I am talking about his positioning and how he ran into space for through balls.

FYI, cfc will not be signing cavani it's either madzukic or James hopefully.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Explorers(m): 7:33am On Aug 24, 2016
Funjosh:

Baba no mind me jare was very tired coming back last night and couldnt watch the game, so i slept very early. How are u

I dey bro.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by SailorXY: 7:56am On Aug 24, 2016
raumdeuter:

cc AdisaOwala
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by gwng: 8:06am On Aug 24, 2016
Chelsea 3 - 2 Bristol Rovers (highlights)

Watch here: http://www.kwallon.com/chelsea-3-2-bristol-rovers-highlights/
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by AdisaOwala: 8:47am On Aug 24, 2016
SailorXY:
cc AdisaOwala

Clips/Gifs here & there wouldn't Change the fact that he is still one of the best CFs in the world!

You shoulda asked Dayo to provide his stats instead.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 9:36am On Aug 24, 2016
airmark:
I remember making it known here last season that fixing the midfield would not put other things into places. Midfielders can't solve a huge defensive problem in the team. I hope conte will act fast.

You ain't saying nothing gee.

Your argument was that Chelsea don't need midfield reinforcement, rather signing John Stones would shut out opponents. Infact you were impressing on us the merits of Mikel and Ramires and touting John Stones as the panacea to our problems.

Just the signing of Kante alone has made us a lot tighter. We have conceded the 2nd least shots on target this season with 6.5 shots conceded per game vs 12.7 last season. Only a blind man would deny that signing Kante has tightened us up no end.

John Stones who made the most defensive errors last season would not have stopped the deluge of chances Chelsea was conceding last season. No defender could turn us into a watertight unit whilst the midfield is being run through willy nilly.

Infact, if you look at goals conceded this season, they all come from dead ball situations which is an anomaly for Chelsea.

We do need defenders, no doubt, but the tactical argument has already been proven. Defending starts from the midfield. In order of priorities, tightening the midfield was the first priority, and that has been done to some extent. We do hope for defensive signings but don't be surprised that likes of Terry and Zouma can even sustain title challenge just by having the likes of Kante protecting them. Wes Morgan and Robert Huth did so last season.

2 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 11:27am On Aug 24, 2016
Ibime:

You ain't saying nothing gee.

Your argument was that Chelsea don't need midfield reinforcement, rather signing John Stones would shut out opponents. Infact you were impressing on us the merits of Mikel and Ramires and touting John Stones as the panacea to our problems.

Just the signing of Kante alone has made us a lot tighter. We have conceded the 2nd least shots on target this season with 6.5 shots conceded per game vs 12.7 last season. Only a blind man would deny that signing Kante has tightened us up no end.

John Stones who made the most defensive errors last season would not have stopped the deluge of chances Chelsea was conceding last season. No defender could turn us into a watertight unit whilst the midfield is being run through willy nilly.

Infact, if you look at goals conceded this season, they all come from dead ball situations which is an anomaly for Chelsea.

We do need defenders, no doubt, but the tactical argument has already been proven. Defending starts from the midfield. In order of priorities, tightening the midfield was the first priority, and that has been done to some extent. We do hope for defensive signings but don't be surprised that likes of Terry and Zouma can even sustain title challenge just by having the likes of Kante protecting them. Wes Morgan and Robert Huth did so last season.

Wes morgan and huth (none of them was 35 like terry) did it with natural left and right full backs doing their jobs well. That one is by the way. In 2014/2015 season , kante was nt here but we won the league with players like matic and hazard putting in their bests. everyone saw this last season and you also confirmed that matic's game dropped in your arguement with nihilist. I was just expecting matic to get back to his form and that was why i gave preference to defence because of the tired legs in there. Hazard was nowhere to be found yet many of us was hoping he would get back to form but he never did. ivanovic was continuously raped at the wings yet you were clamouring for new midfielders. Baba rahman disappointed, djilobodji was shipped to germany. We tried to get it done at the back but failed to bring quality ones and we got sawed off from from top 4. Think about it if matic and hazard replicated their 2014/2015 forms last season with quality back 4, do you think we would have finished in 10th position? I did nt even say we did nt need new players in the middle, i said priority should be given to the defence. Now nothing has changed despite winning two games we all know what we saw in those matches when opponents attacked our goal. Do you think with this present set up, our defence can survive the onslaughts against say manchester utd's attack even with kante ? Guy we have nt seen a thorough opposition yet, i want to see how our defence will contend with liverpool and other top attacking teams. Ivanovic was used as CB yesterday (you always wanted him in there) and was caught out of position not once . Tell me top teams parading 36 year old central defender in europe, strongly challenging for trophies? I want chelsea to win trophies not just struggling to make top 4.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 11:57am On Aug 24, 2016
Well considering that Oscar leads the team for number of successful tackles, and Gari Cahill leads the team for number of successful interceptions it is impossible to prove statistically, that Kante has improved the team.

To put it frankly, Kante's numbers are still inferior to members of the team from last year.

Of course, Kante has improved the team, no doubt, but that is a tactical argument, not a statistical one.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by bigkesh(m): 12:11pm On Aug 24, 2016
Lol.......Just digging arguments where there is none
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 12:12pm On Aug 24, 2016
airmark:

Wes morgan and huth (none of them was 35 like terry) did it with natural left and right full backs doing their jobs well. That one is by the way. In 2014/2015 season , kante was nt here but we won the league with players like matic and hazard putting in their bests. everyone saw this last season and you also confirmed that matic's game dropped in your arguement with nihilist. I was just expecting matic to get back to his form and that was why i gave preference to defence because of the tired legs in there. Hazard was nowhere to be found yet many of us was hoping he would get back to form but he never did. ivanovic was continuously raped at the wings yet you were clamouring for new midfielders. Baba rahman disappointed, djilobodji was shipped to germany. We tried to get it done at the back but failed to bring quality ones and we got sawed off from from top 4. Think about it if matic and hazard replicated their 2014/2015 forms last season with quality back 4, do you think we would have finished in 10th position? I did nt even say we did nt need new players in the middle, i said priority should be given to the defence. Now nothing has changed despite winning two games we all know what we saw in those matches when opponents attacked our goal. Do you think with this present set up, our defence can survive the onslaughts against say manchester utd's attack even with kante ? Guy we have nt seen a thorough opposition yet, i want to see how our defence will contend with liverpool and other top attacking teams. Ivanovic was used as CB yesterday (you always wanted him in there) and was caught out of position not once . Tell me top teams parading 36 year old central defender in europe, strongly challenging for trophies? I want chelsea to win trophies not just struggling to make top 4.

As per our argument, my priority last season was midfielder first, defender second.

You wanted new defenders and happy to carry on with the same midfield.

As at the time we had this debate, we had Felipe Luis, Azpi, Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill and Zouma, 6 defenders capable of winning any league with the right support in front of them. Midfield was the most pressing need last season and we were rape'd repeatedly in midfield conceding 13 shots per game which is not happening now.

Yes, we need new defenders as we only have four fit senior defenders. Luis has left, Zouma is injured and Terry is a year older, nobody would argue with that, but don't come here with stories. The fact is that we are a lot more solid than last year. Conversely, you can buy all the defenders in the world but without the midfield to support them, they would still concede bucketloads. You are forgetting we needed to deploy Zouma in midfield in 2015 from January just to see out the season.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 12:15pm On Aug 24, 2016
Nihilist:
Well considering that Oscar leads the team for number of successful tackles, and Gari Cahill leads the team for number of successful interceptions it is impossible to prove statistically, that Kante has improved the team.

To put it frankly, Kante's numbers are still inferior to members of the team from last year.

Of course, Kante has improved the team, no doubt, but that is a tactical argument, not a statistical one.

Pressing, closing space, tracking runs, shepherding players into cul-de-sacs etc is the measure of defensive midfield play, not making 1.7 or 2.4 tackles per game.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by bigkesh(m): 12:26pm On Aug 24, 2016
Nihilist:

The best way to look at it is to compare the tackles Cahill made per game last season to this season

That way we can really see Kante's impact Statistically
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 12:26pm On Aug 24, 2016
bigkesh:
Lol.......Just digging arguments where there is none

There's I reason I brought that up.

Ibime is arguing that Kante has improved us defensively and has based this argument on the stats that show that the Shots on Target numbers are dropping. This is not true. It's a bit too early in the season to draw conclusions, but what has happened is that we've actually improved offensively.

The reason why the number of shots we conceded has reduced is because we are holding the ball more. Last season we averaged 54.4% possesion. This season so far, we are on 59.4%. Last season we averaged 82% pass completion, this season so far, we lead the league with 86.6%.

We also have 14.5 spg this season compared to 13.8 last year, and 5 shots on target per game compared to 4.6 last year.

Obviously it's early days, and we've played rubbish guys, but the fact of the matter is your opponents cannot shoot at your goal if they don't have the ball. So no, Kante has not necessarily improved us defensively. Where I think that he has improved us is how he fits in as a tactical option, sitting in between our centrebacks and allowing our fullbacks to contribute to our offence by bombing higher up the pitch....

Of course, the follow on from this is that, if our improvement so far has merely been tactical, then the whole 'we need a new midfield' argument is actually less important than 'we need a new defence'
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilist: 12:27pm On Aug 24, 2016
Ibime:

Pressing, closing space, tracking runs, shepherding players into cul-de-sacs etc is the measure of defensive midfield play, not making 1.7 or 2.4 tackles per game.

Which is why I said that Kante's influence cannot be measured statistically like you tried to do earlier...
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 12:40pm On Aug 24, 2016
Nihilist:

Which is why I said that Kante's influence cannot be measured statistically like you tried to do earlier...

Shots on goal and on target is a statistic you can use to measure defensive solidity. My argument is that this is due to Kante's influence.

Nihilist:

There's I reason I brought that up.

Ibime is arguing that Kante has improved us defensively and has based this argument on the stats that show that the Shots on Target numbers are dropping. This is not true. It's a bit too early in the season, to draw conclusions, but what has happened is that we've actually improved offensively.

The reason why the number of shots we conceded has reduced is because we are holding the ball more. Last season we averaged 54.4% possesion. This season so far, we are on 59.4%. Last season we averaged 82% pass completion, this season so far, we lead the league with 86.6%.

Obviously it's early days, and we've played rubbish guys, but the fact of the matter is your opponents cannot shoot at your goal if they don't have the ball. So no, Kante has not necessarily improved us defensively. Where I think that he has improved us is how he fits in as a tactical option, sitting in between our centrebacks and allowing our fullbacks to contribute to our offence by bombing higher up the pitch....

Of course, the follow on from this is that, if our improvement so far has merely been tactical, then the whole 'we need a new midfield' argument is actually less important than 'we need a new defence'

A possible argument. . . . until you consider like for like comparison vs West Ham for example

Last season vs West Ham at Stamford Bridge we had 59% possession, yet conceded 13 shots on goal with 6 on target.

This season vs West Ham at Stamford Bridge we had 62% possession, and only conceded 7 shots on goal with 3 on target.

Possession is more or less the same, shots on goal and on target have halved. Their only goal was from a corner, and they didn't look threatening.

Just watch this space. The more matches we play, we would see more evidence, if ninjas did not know that already. We are yet to concede truly from open play this season which is very encouraging, although worrying that we keep falling asleep at set-plays.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 12:40pm On Aug 24, 2016

(1) (2) (3) ... (2123) (2124) (2125) (2126) (2127) (2128) (2129) ... (19167) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Joezinho, larride(m), Sulele04(m), Caicedobets(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.