Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,800 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:58 PM

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (5022) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 (10544679 Views)

Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Pride Of London / Offical Bayern Munich Fan Thread: 6x Champions Of Europe / Manchester United Fan thread: Forever Reds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5019) (5020) (5021) (5022) (5023) (5024) (5025) ... (19174) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 6:24pm On Mar 28, 2018
Tyson could beat Ali on a good day, but Foreman would flog him like he flogged Frasier.

We've already seen the Tyson-Foreman match up stylistically pre-enacted by Frasier-Foreman. Tyson would be out of there in 2 rounds.

2 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by chic2pimp(m): 6:26pm On Mar 28, 2018
afrodoc2:

Name one great fighter Tyson beat in that fighter's prime?

Tyson was sending out bums in 3 rounds. It was a weak division and this was known even before Tyson arrived, that was why the attention then was already on the middleweights and welterweights..

I'm with you here Doc. As much as I love Iron Mike(easily one of the greatest heavyweights of all time), I'm truly struggling to name a Great Fighter He beat In that Fighter's prime. The Aura Tyson had in those early years was garnered by fighting bums. If we critically look into it, we'll see most of his wins were against your run of the mill average joes any boxer worth his salt would have beaten.

Then came the Hype and let's be honest, we all bought into it. From the Black trunks and Black boots to his shaven head. From the intimidating music to the wearing of No socks we all loved it. And we let our Love cloud our judgement. Tyson in His prime would not have beaten either Lewis or Vitali Klitschko. It's simply not happening. Any tall technically gifted fighter would have caused Tyson endless problems.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by PlainJAY(m): 6:31pm On Mar 28, 2018
Pls stop derailing sad

Raumdeuter ; Hazard is better than all Bayern players combined...and Terry >>>>>>Boateng

Nihilistjnr ; Matic is the best midfielder in the World

Ibime ; Bakayoko>>>>>>>lampard

Cruxifizio,afrodoc2 ; mourinho is the best manager in the world

4 Likes

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by chic2pimp(m): 6:40pm On Mar 28, 2018
raumdeuter:

Thats why I am not impressed with Mayweather
Prettyboy actually had knock out power in His early years. He lost most of it partly due to the problems He had with His hands and partly because He was slowly moving up the divisions. Also As He became older,He simply became more Ring savvy and was able to win fights due to His incredibly High Boxing IQ.

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Nihilstjnr: 6:48pm On Mar 28, 2018
chic2pimp:

I'm with you here Doc. As much as I love Iron Mike(easily one of the greatest heavyweights of all time), I'm truly struggling to name a Great Fighter He beat In that Fighter's prime. The Aura Tyson had in those early years was garnered by fighting bums. If we critically look into it, we'll see most of his wins were against your run of the mill average joes any boxer worth his salt would have beaten.

Then came the Hype and let's be honest, we all bought into it. From the Black trunks and Black boots to his shaven head. From the intimidating music to the wearing of No socks we all loved it. And we let our Love cloud our judgement. Tyson in His prime would not have beaten either Lewis or Vitali Klitschko. It's simply not happening. Any tall technically gifted fighter would have caused Tyson endless problems.

But Tyson dey beat Lennox Lewis in their sparing days na?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amclZ9nvfo0

88 Tyson was dat guy
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Smellymouth: 6:51pm On Mar 28, 2018
That moment you realise international friendly game is over and you about going to 5th position..

Thank God I didn't say anything.. grin cheesy

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 6:54pm On Mar 28, 2018
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 6:54pm On Mar 28, 2018
PlainJAY:
Pls stop derailing sad

If we say Ali 'parked the bus' against Foreman, would that make you more comfortable?

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by neezar: 7:02pm On Mar 28, 2018
Smellymouth:
That moment you realise international friendly game is over and you about going to 5th position..

Madt man...where u enter since??
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by PlainJAY(m): 7:05pm On Mar 28, 2018
Ibime:

If we say Ali 'parked the bus' against Foreman, would that make you more comfortable?

No..... Say Bakayoko/iniesta>>>>>>>>>Lampard
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by PlainJAY(m): 7:09pm On Mar 28, 2018
Smellymouth:

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by raumdeuter: 7:25pm On Mar 28, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

88 Tyson was dat guy

Dem go come say Lennox beat Tyson when he was already tired and spent over 3yrs in jail.

And if you watched all those fights, Its basically all these guys spending lots of time trying to hold and hug Tyson
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by chic2pimp(m): 7:52pm On Mar 28, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

88 Tyson was dat guy

E no beat am jare. It was just a "Sparing" session. No one got knocked out.

Nah the Hype did not match the substance on the ground. Had Cus not died so early in His career,Had He not gotten himself involved with Don "Parasite" King, Had He been fully committed and dedicated to the art that is boxing.....Lawd knows what He would have achieved. He had the aggression and fighting style of a street brawler whilst being an extremely skilled Boxer too.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 8:02pm On Mar 28, 2018
chic2pimp:

Nah the Hype did not match the substance on the ground. Had Cus not died so early in His career,Had He not gotten himself involved with Don "Parasite" King, Had He been fully committed and dedicated to the art that is boxing.....Lawd knows what He would have achieved. He had the aggression and fighting style of a street brawler whilst being an extremely skilled Boxer too.

No mind dem jare.

As if Foreman did not take 10 years out of the game.

As if Ali was not forced out for 3 years.

All manner of excuses for Tyson. This is someone who lost to Buster Douglas before he went to jail sef. When he came back beating Bruno and knocking out Seldon in under 2 minutes, we heard Iron Mike is back in form, until Holyfield reset his brain, then we started hearing he is past his prime.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by chic2pimp(m): 8:27pm On Mar 28, 2018
Ibime:

No mind dem jare.

As if Foreman did not take 10 years out of the game.

As if Ali was not forced out for 3 years.

All manner of excuses for Tyson. This is someone who lost to Buster Douglas before he went to jail sef. When he came back beating Bruno and knocking out Seldon in under 2 minutes, we heard Iron Mike is back in form, until Holyfield reset his brain, then we started hearing he is past his prime.

That's one thing that get's my goat. The amount of excuses always given for Tyson's failures. It's high time we accept as good as Tyson was, He had flaws which weren't exactly hidden either.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by A40(m): 9:50pm On Mar 28, 2018
Ibime:

The way Foreman beat Smoking Joe in Kingston should let niggas know wargwan. Foreman woulda murdered Ali in rematch but I heard Ali was ducking.

Fury would beat AJ if he regains fitness.
E really pain me say them no fight again. I've seen that fight multiple times and I was a bit appalled by Foreman's lack of strategy, a lot of Foreman's blows were mainly landing on the arms Ali was using to shield his face. If he were a bit more efficient he could have taken down Ali because I can count at least two occasions Ali was literally out on his feet

You also have to salute Ali's intestinal fortitude too because the amount of body shots he took were ungodly. I wouldn't blame Ali for ducking Big George. He was 8 years older

I think for AJ the one weapon he has and that can work in his favor against Fury is that he is not scared to go inside. And the amount of power he can generate without telegraphing his blows is why I argued he can easily match Wilder power for power. You saw that uppercut against Klitschko. From out of nowhere
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by pkasso(m): 10:00pm On Mar 28, 2018
Aaarggh!!!

So I dropped by to catch up on the latest happenings on this thread thinking I would get to read some interesting discussions only to meet a borefest. A'mean I went through like 6 pages of boring stuff. Now i'm not against discussing a variety of topics, but the shiit here is getting stale. A newbie would think he was on the wrong thread. Other posters and followers of the thread are unable to chip in just because a group of people have decided to take the conversation to a different direction, one which the majority are either not interested in or comfortable with. So the rest of us all just keep quiet, wondering when the discussion will end so we can go on as usual.

No group of persons should dictate the flow of conversation and interactions on any thread.

Mehn, I'm outta here!! angry angry

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by A40(m): 10:04pm On Mar 28, 2018
afrodoc2:

That rope-a-dope has been overhyped. It was nothing magical, it was just Ali betting his iron chin against Foreman's suspect stamina. He allowed Foreman to punch himself out and get exhausted, betting that Foreman would get tired before he (Ali) got knocked out.
In essence the rope-a-dope was based on the premise that Foreman had suspect stamina.
Skill and stamina can be worked on and the kind of stamina needed to fight the ferocious battles of the 70's was not required in the 90's.
Chin and punching power are God given.

Taking nothing from Foreman, he is one of the greatest ever heavyweights, likely 2nd only to Ali in terms of modern heavyweights. Had he not retired at 28 he might have gone down as the G.O.A.T
That's why I said it was Ali at his improvisational best. If it were that easy other fighters would have replicated it.

Foreman's fights with Ron Lyle and Jimmy Young were bloodbaths that showed Foreman could hang. Any fighter that fought as inefficiently as Foreman would on that night would have ran out of gas 9 times out of 10.

I agree that the 70's fights took more toll on you but when a boxer comes back at 39 years old and almost a decade out of the sport to fight younger guys and compete favorably then it has to be considered that perhaps his stamina was not as bad as purported

1 Like

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by A40(m): 10:15pm On Mar 28, 2018
Ibime:
Tyson could beat Ali on a good day, but Foreman would flog him like he flogged Frasier.

We've already seen the Tyson-Foreman match up stylistically pre-enacted by Frasier-Foreman. Tyson would be out of there in 2 rounds.
Boxing is not mathematics but there were many Tyson's before Tyson. Foreman was Tyson on double portion of knockout anointing. Ali go too kpokpo am
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by chic2pimp(m): 10:25pm On Mar 28, 2018
A40:
Boxing is not mathematics but there were many Tyson's before Tyson. Foreman was Tyson on double portion of knockout anointing. Ali go too kpokpo am

Nah I would say Smoking Joe was Tyson before Tyson.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 10:46pm On Mar 28, 2018
chic2pimp:

Tyson was Joe stylistically with knockout power of Sonny Liston and chin of Frank Bruno.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by A40(m): 10:59pm On Mar 28, 2018
chic2pimp:

In terms of stature. I'm talking straight explosive KO power
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by chic2pimp(m): 11:13pm On Mar 28, 2018
Ibime:

Tyson was Joe stylistically with knockout power of Sonny Liston and chin of Frank Bruno.

Haha Frank Bruno's chin had me.

A40:
In terms of stature. I'm talking straight explosive KO power
I was talking styles. His KO power was definity Foremanesque.
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by A40(m): 11:43pm On Mar 28, 2018
afrodoc2:

If you consider that Cooper was not a great boxer he gave Ali problems compared to some other greater boxers. For example Ali knocked Foreman out and Foreman could not knock him down, while Cooper knocked Ali down and Ali was so dazed that Angelo Dundee had to use underhand tactics to save Ali. Cooper fought Ali twice and Ali could not knock him down (both fights stopped by the ref due to cuts under his eye).
I would say Cooper was the 3rd most difficult opponent for a prime Ali after Smoking Joe and Ken Norton.

I still go back to his age at the time. He was pretty young when he fought Cooper. Second time they fought Ali had a much easier time plus let's also remember neither fight went past the 6th.

Foreman's loss to Ali really was an epic upset. Some L's defy rhyme or logic. Like how Liverpool came from 3 down to beat Milan. What he pulled off no fighter who fought Foreman well aware of his weaknesses was able to repeat

afrodoc2:

Foreman was slow moving and lumbering so he was ponderous. His 2 gifts were 1) his toxic punch (probably top 3 in boxing history) and 2) his chin which was an underated aspect of his skill set.

Methodical not slow if you ask me. Which is what made his loss to Ali more surprising. Ali literally parked the bus and he walked into the trap. He was in too much of a hurry to end the fight which was perhaps arrogant on his part but with the way he dispatched Norton and Frazier so easily who could blame him?

afrodoc2:

Back to AJ and Wilder i actually believe AJ will win don't get it twisted, however i think you are wrong about Wilder. He definitely has more power or 1 knockout power than AJ. Check the knockouts of both of them. AJ has more of them from cumulative punishment finished of with deadly COMBINATIONS, Wilder is the one that has the deadly single punch knockouts. Remember Wilder is not a precise puncher so few of his combinations actually land. Wilder takes fewer LANDED DIRECT HITS to knockout an opponent than AJ that is why i know he has the more dangerous single punch KO ability.
What i have explained above is why i believe AJ has to be extra careful cos even though he is obviously the better boxer and more likely to win, if the fight is to be decided by one single/lucky punch it is more likely to be Wilder swinging it.
I can only judge based on their mutual opponent Molina. Like you pointed out Wilder is not a precise puncher but his hand speed is that good that while his punches don't necessarily land flush all the time they do their damage and clear road like John the Baptist for other oncoming punches..

AJ has a strong inside game and does not need to throw windmill punches to get the job done. The power he can generate on standing and at short range I don't think I've seen from Wilder. Klitschko can attest.

For the most part you are still going to require a combination of punches to knock out anybody. Wilder didn't knock out Stiverne or Ortiz with one blow or lucky swing. There has to be that one punch that sends a fighter to a point of no return and based on what I've seen from both of them there isn't much to suggest he is markedly more powerful at that than AJ
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 11:48pm On Mar 28, 2018
This place has turned to old people's home. See them doing strong head like Haggler's. cheesy
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by A40(m): 12:05am On Mar 29, 2018
Blame it on the Inter-Lull. It used to be worse than this
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by A40(m): 12:12am On Mar 29, 2018
jonsnow92:
Alli knew Foreman lacked Stamina frankly..In Foreman's fight against Frazier,in the 2nd round or so after Foreman had knocked Frazier out like the 5th time in 2 rounds, Foreman placed his hands on the ropes as though resting..Angelo dundee later said in a later interview many years later that Alli was watching that fight and murmured NO Stamina to him..So its safe to say Alli knew all along,
That's the thing the knowledge alone would never be enough. He would still need a strategy to implement, had Foreman been a bit more efficient the fight would have had a different outcome and that aside it's pretty telling that nobody else was able to pull it off

Forget the bants about stamina, there is no way you knockdown a fighter 5 times and some virtue will not leave you. This is why you see guys score knockdowns and still lose a fight. You exert a shitload of energy trying to knockdown a fighter that if you don't succeed then the hunter quickly transforms to the hunted. It happened with Ortiz and Wilder

jonsnow92:

Also Foreman's opponents looked like idiots because Foreman had great punching power and was very domineering..Infact i dont think Foreman ever trained for his fights to go the distance,maybe thats why he always tried to get the knockout punch quickly..Alli knew all this and thats why Alli kept ducking and taunting so the fight would go the distance and eventually tire Foreman out.
Strategy killed Foreman on the night, he was wildly inefficient and even Ali would not have beaten Foreman if he fought like that
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Ibime(m): 12:41am On Mar 29, 2018
chic2pimp:

Haha Frank Bruno's chin had me.

As my good friend always says, you can't develop muscle on your chin.

A glass jaw can ruin the most skilled fighter eg Amir Khan.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by A40(m): 12:58am On Mar 29, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

All this one is story. Your argument is that Mike Tyson did not fight Top Class Opposition.

I don't need him to fight top class opposition to predict who he would have beat.

His Legacy is different from a theoretical matchup between two fighters.

I'm looking at the technique and his style in the late 80s and comparing it to Mohammed Ali's style and I'm confident, Ali would have been bagged up like Weed.

Tyson switched up his style in the 90s and went off the rails. Went to jail a couple of times, and struggled with mental illness.

Ring magazine will look at his entire career including these dark times where he was skipping training sessions in camp to go and party.

I'm looking at a very specific era. A very specific year.

1988 Iron Mike was GOD. That 20 year old will have killed ANYBODY. Ali especially would have been finished like Mo Salah
Foreman was beating Tyson's competition at 45. Make we leave this story for Jimi Solanke.
That era was kinda weak

There's nothing Tyson went through that can top leaving a professional sport for 10 phuckin years. That's like Ronaldo retiring now and returning to dominate football in 2027.

This is like saying Saheed aka Seedorf from Kuwait or Tolu would go to La Masia and shine because he had mad skills in Kuwait

A boxer with limited KO power like Holyfield could easily keep Tyson at bay and expose his suspect chin then he wouldn't have a prayer against a master like Ali.

I no go even mention Foreman cos that one go just kill am. Slight work
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by A40(m): 1:22am On Mar 29, 2018
Nihilstjnr:

Tyson was at his peak in 1988. By the time he fought Buster Douglas 2 years later he was already on Bipolar medication. By 91 he would be in court for rape. He wouldn't fight again till 95 and by then his personal life was more or less in chaos. His fighting style changed significantly when he came out of jail and in effect 88 Tyson and 90s Tyson are 2 completely different fighters who happen to share a name.

I don't really care who he fought post 88 or maybe even 89 when he destroyed Frank Bruno. The point is that 88 was his peak period, and that kid would have beaten any gaddem person.

Truly great sportsmen don't become completely useless outside their peak. Is Federer at his peak? Tom Brady? C.Ronaldo?

Bone that thing. Tyson's body of work was weak. His era was weak which means his peak was suspect plus he didn't beat a single great heavyweight at any reasonable age ever. Larry Holmes at 39 does not count I'm sorry.

If you're crazy enough to take up the sport of boxing then odds are there some demons in your head by default.

Top 10 all-time heavyweights Tyson can never smell that list
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by airmark(m): 1:59am On Mar 29, 2018
A40:

Top 10 all-time heavyweights Tyson can never smell that list

Some people from munich, will call that your list, a polling booth list.

If Bash Alli is not in that list, it's invalid. That man came with a bendel-insured hands and chin. He's in my top 5 all-time, with Haggler and Samuel Peter. cool
Re: Official Chelsea Fan Thread: Champions Of Europe 2021 by Smellymouth: 5:01am On Mar 29, 2018
neezar:

Madt man...where u enter since??

Lol. Bros, I dey on lowkey. Morning baba.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5019) (5020) (5021) (5022) (5023) (5024) (5025) ... (19174) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: KingAzubuike(f), raumdeuter, a4turitoroman, Shegzdave, Jodera, Bluelines69, odizeey(m), Agadinaagwuofe, fredoooooo, Leyqute(m), WhoDeyHause, swiz123(m), ThierryJay, rooftops, Ihebu4chelsea(m), Ibunkun1(m), MorataFC, andrewbaba44, BlueMann, Debroslink, Vischy and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.