Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,045 members, 7,821,597 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? (17599 Views)

Simple Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe / Mallam Sales Vulture In Place Of Roasted Chicken / Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Beaf: 1:54am On Apr 24, 2012
Where Are Our Standards? Roasted Chicken Being Sold Openly Today

[size=14pt]In Picture: Roasted Chicken Being Sold Openly Today[/size]

Roasted chicken being sold openly at Obalende bus stop this morning. PHOTO: ABEEB OGUNBADEJO

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/04/19/in-picture-roasted-chicken-being-sold-openly-today/

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Beaf: 1:57am On Apr 24, 2012
Where are our standards? How can we ever hope to develop by living in such chaos.
What we witness here can only be done by mad people in an anything goes society!

Nigeria just makes one want to sit down and weep sometimes. How can we save our dear country people? How?
How can we save ourselves from ourselves? embarassed
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Beaf: 2:04am On Apr 24, 2012
With the mindset of the average Nigerian, can the country ever develop? cry

This reminds one about the wretched pictures from Trans-Amadi slaughter house where dead animals are left to rot in the most unhygenic and sickening state, after being treated with a dose of cancer causing chemicals from burning tyres, before being sold to us as "meat."
The blood pollutes the waterways and the heavy smoke only adds to the already overpowering pollution.

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by lagcity(m): 2:05am On Apr 24, 2012
useless man. abeg grab roasted chicken and stop disturbing us. haven't u eaten worse than that in the creek?

that young chap refused to give u chicken for free, so u decided to blackmail the poor guy. u this awoof-loving phock! what is the difference between you and oil thieves?

8 Likes

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 2:07am On Apr 24, 2012
You're axing us? Why don't you ax your boss president and his fellow looters?

Standards tend to fall in nations with plenty of poverty and little to no hope.

Here's the website leading to contact info for the Federal Ministry of Health: http://www.fmh.gov.ng/index.php/about-us

Of great concern also is that smoke we call "air".

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by jason123: 2:10am On Apr 24, 2012
Don't see anything wrong in it . . .Why? Because it does not affect the development of Nigeria is anyway!
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 2:13am On Apr 24, 2012
jason123: Don't see anything wrong in it . . .Why? Because it does not affect the development of Nigeria is anyway!

The only thing separating the people above from lions is the fact that they use money. So shameless.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Beaf: 2:14am On Apr 24, 2012
ogugua88: You're axing us? Why don't you ax your boss president and his fellow looters?

Standards tend to fall in nations with plenty of poverty and little to no hope.

Here's the website leading to contact info for the Federal Ministry of Health: http://www.fmh.gov.ng/index.php/about-us

Of great concern also is that smoke we call "air".
Is he the one that made you like that?
Please respect yourself and either add sense to the topic or vacate it.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 2:15am On Apr 24, 2012
I didn't add sense? The link is nonsense abi? sad
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by jason123: 2:15am On Apr 24, 2012
ogugua88:

The only thing separating the people above from lions is the fact that they use money.

grin grin grin
Babe, I repeat, it does not develop Nigeria in anyway! There are open abattoirs all over the world. I just don't see how cleaning the place will equate to development.

2 Likes

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 2:16am On Apr 24, 2012
This beaf guy is a lunatic, who deserves to be locked up in a mental home. Don't they sell suya openly on the streets of Lagos, and everywhere in Nigeria? This guy needs to take his ritalin dosage, and stop disturbing the peace of NL, with his stupidity. undecided

The useless, and utterly corrupt government - he supports wholeheartedly has continued to ra/pe Nigerians, and their sovereign wealth - yet this guy deems it right to make an issue, out of a non-issue. sad

8 Likes

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Beaf: 2:17am On Apr 24, 2012
jason123: Don't see anything wrong in it . . .Why? Because it does not affect the development of Nigeria is anyway!
Development comes from state of the mind. If the mind has no standards, how is it ever going to be creative and focused to precision?
I wonder what you think comes out of the minds of those who sell roasted chicken skewered in the open by the roadside? Advanced algorithms? High tech? What? angry
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by jason123: 2:18am On Apr 24, 2012
In fact, selling chicken openly adds to the "Nigerian" flavor you can't get anywhere in the world! Its our unique style of barbeque.

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 2:22am On Apr 24, 2012
For anyone that's interested, I recommend Stop That Smoke by Henry Obermeyer. It's a very old book, from the 1930s or so, but that era was one of terrible pollution. I bought that book after returning to the US from Lagos. If I were a pathologist, I'd go home just to examine lungs of the newly deceased, no joke. Riverside, California is one of the most polluted cities in the United States. I lived there for a few years for studies. I must say that the air in Riverside is the freshest of air compared to Lagos air. When I was staying in Lag, I'd wash my hair and the water was dark brown to black. I'd come home from a day out in Ikoyi and use my fingernail to scrape dirt from my forehead. Under my nail was black. Air is the silent killer in Naija. I pity those with asthma or emphysema.With that kind of air, food should not be exposed outside at all. People should not be hawking from dusk till dawn.

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Beaf: 2:23am On Apr 24, 2012
ogugua88: I didn't add sense? The link is nonsense abi? sad
The topic is non-partisan and cross-cultural. What I found upsetting about your post was the attempt to inject bias.
Please let us tackle these sickening fundamental behavioral issues of the average Nigerian without invoking simplistic partisan biases.

By the way, thanks for your words on the other horrible thread. I really appreciatted it.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by jason123: 2:24am On Apr 24, 2012
Beaf:
Development comes from state of the mind. If the mind has no standards, how is it ever going to be creative and focused to precision?
I wonder what you think comes out of the minds of those who sell roasted chicken skewered in the open by the roadside? Advanced algorithms? High tech? What? angry

Well first of all, for them to be selling those stuffs they are probably uneducated and trying to make ends meet. Therefore you do not expect them to be thinking of "advanced algorithms" because, frankly, its the last thing on their minds.

It takes money to get the facilities you are looking for. The people I see up there probably do not have the money for such.

Lastly, I still don't see how this relates to development. The animal get killed anyway and it is consumed, anyway. I wonder how changing the "style" will equate to advancing Nigeria.

I repeat, open barbeque Nigerian style (kudos to the Northerners for that) gives it a unique taste and feeling you can't get anywhere in the world!
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Beaf: 2:25am On Apr 24, 2012
jason123: In fact, selling chicken openly adds to the "Nigerian" flavor you can't get anywhere in the world! Its our unique style of barbeque.
Anybody doing that in most other developing countries would be jailed, talkless of in advanced countries.
The fact that you can see no wrong in it is very telling of Nigerian society and its decay.

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 2:29am On Apr 24, 2012
The "Nigerian flavor" Jason's referring to is carcinogens.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Beaf: 2:33am On Apr 24, 2012
jason123:

Well first of all, for them to be selling those stuffs they are probably uneducated and trying to make ends meet. Therefore you do not expect them to be thinking of "advanced algorithms" because, frankly, its the last thing on their minds.

It takes money to get the facilities you are looking for. The people I see up there probably do not have the money for such.

Lastly, I still don't see how this relates to development. The animal get killed anyway and it is consumed, anyway. I wonder how changing the "style" will equate to advancing Nigeria.

I repeat, open barbeque Nigerian style (kudos to the Northerners for that) gives it a unique taste and feeling you can't get anywhere in the world!
It does not take money to develop the right mindset. Ghana is poorer than Nigeria, but such primitive behaviour cannot be attempted there; it is also quite clear that while Ghanaian society has a sense of direction and is developing; we here seem to be going backwards with the average person appearing to be quite stup!d compared to what obtains in neighbouring countries.

I have had many illuminating conversations with mechanics in Benin Republic and Ghana, but absolutely do not expect any sense from those in Nigeria. The organisation of workshops in Benin Republic and Ghana is totally different to what obtains in Nigeria as well. Do I need to say they do a better job? Nuff said.

The mind of the average Nigerian is diseased. Perhaps it is the trauma from too many military regimes. Whatever it is, we must realise that mental problems exist in almost every Nigerian. I do not see how we can develop without tackling this basic issue. Development comes from the collective mind of society.

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Beaf: 2:35am On Apr 24, 2012
ogugua88: The "Nigerian flavor" Jason's referring to is carcinogens.
Exactly! Carcinogens spiced and flavoured with e koli and typhus from faecal remains clinging to hands unwashed after a bend down over the nearest secluded drain.

2 Likes

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 2:37am On Apr 24, 2012
Beaf: The topic is non-partisan and cross-cultural. What I found upsetting about your post was the attempt to inject bias.
Please let us tackle these sickening fundamental behavioral issues of the average Nigerian without invoking simplistic partisan biases.

By the way, thanks for your words on the other horrible thread. I really appreciatted it.

That wasn't a simplistic partisan bias. Granted, it's a behavioral issue, but people are behaving that way because there's either no law against it, or there is a law and there's no one to enforce it, or there's a law and there are people to enforce it but, to do so, they choose not. There's a Federal Ministry of Health. Not state, but federal, and you know who controls federal.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 2:38am On Apr 24, 2012
ogugua88: For anyone that's interested, I recommend Stop That Smoke by Henry Obermeyer. It's a very old book, from the 1930s or so, but that era was one of terrible pollution. I bought that book after returning to the US from Lagos. If I were a pathologist, I'd go home just to examine lungs of the newly deceased, no joke. Riverside, California is one of the most polluted cities in the United States. I lived there for a few years for studies. I must say that the air in Riverside is the freshest of air compared to Lagos air. When I was staying in Lag, I'd wash my hair and the water was dark brown to black. I'd come home from a day out in Ikoyi and use my fingernail to scrape dirt from my forehead. Under my nail was black. Air is the silent killer in Naija. I pity those with asthma or emphysema.With that kind of air, food should not be exposed outside at all. People should not be hawking from dusk till dawn.

Have you got money to give those hawking from dusk till dawn?? I hate when people just stumble across something on the internet - and expect Nigerians (who're one of the most cheated people in the world) - to change their way of life, despite not making any provisions for them.

You and the OP are ignorant. Go and take a nap, and stop comparing developed countries to Nigeria. A country where the government has failed - and its resilient citizen strive everyday to make something out of nothing, despite being rich in terms of resources.

Much ado about nothing!!

5 Likes

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Onlytruth(m): 2:38am On Apr 24, 2012
ogugua88: For anyone that's interested, I recommend Stop That Smoke by Henry Obermeyer. It's a very old book, from the 1930s or so, but that era was one of terrible pollution. I bought that book after returning to the US from Lagos. If I were a pathologist, I'd go home just to examine lungs of the newly deceased, no joke. Riverside, California is one of the most polluted cities in the United States. I lived there for a few years for studies. I must say that the air in Riverside is the freshest of air compared to Lagos air. When I was staying in Lag, I'd wash my hair and the water was dark brown to black. I'd come home from a day out in Ikoyi and use my fingernail to scrape dirt from my forehead. Under my nail was black. Air is the silent killer in Naija. I pity those with asthma or emphysema.With that kind of air, food should not be exposed outside at all. People should not be hawking from dusk till dawn.

chei! Eko oni baje lai lai. cry

Where is Babapupa Eko-ile ?
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by jason123: 2:40am On Apr 24, 2012
Beaf:
Anybody doing that in most other developing countries would be jailed, talkless of in advanced countries.
The fact that you can see no wrong in it is very telling of Nigerian society and its decay.

And must we copy them? Why can't we have our own way of doing things (with slight modifications, as you so wish)? Why can't we be Nigerians without looking over our shoulders to see what the "advanced" countries are doing?

In Malaysia, an advanced country by Nigerians' standard, still do these things. Does it mean the people are mentally sick?

How are these images any different from yours?

In fact, this is MORE UNHYGIENIC!

At least, in Nigeria, the heat kills the bacteria (apart from the capsaicin in the spices which act as anti-bacteria agents). In Malaysia, the food is left open and bare!

More from Malaysia

Beaf, I don't believe Nigerians are sick. They just don't have the means to improve their already approved method which, in my opinion, is fine!

2 Likes

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by lagcity(m): 2:41am On Apr 24, 2012
Beaf:
Exactly! Carcinogens spiced and flavoured with e koli and typhus from faecal remains clinging to hands unwashed after a bend down over the nearest secluded drain.

mr beaf, pls stop blackmailing the suyaman. awoof-loving modafoka! grin

mr beaf, stop blackmailing the suya man. awoof-loving modafoka!

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 2:43am On Apr 24, 2012
[size=18pt]Beaf, are you angry because you noticed a few of your kins were being sold openly or simply because you couldn't get a piece of the meat? Serious question.

I swear, do you ppl have jobs in this forum? Legal ones, that is. [/size]

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 2:43am On Apr 24, 2012
[size=16pt]This stupid thread should be locked!!![/size]

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Kilode1: 2:44am On Apr 24, 2012
There's nothing wrong with chicken roasted in the open, but there's a lot wrong with the open sewage and drainage close-by. We need to clean-up

We can clean-up and still maintain that style of roasting + open street selling.

This is the tropics, no point locking everything indoors, away from this beautiful sunshine.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 2:44am On Apr 24, 2012
shymmex: Have you got money to give those hawking from dusk till dawn?? I hate when people just stumble across something on the internet - and expect Nigerians (who're one of the most cheated people in the world) - to change their way of life, despite not making any provisions for them.

You and the OP are ignorant. Go and take a nap, and stop comparing developed countries to Nigeria. A country where the government has failed - and its resilient citizen strive everyday to make something out of nothing, despite being rich in terms of resources.

Much ado about nothing!!

I'm not just stumbling across anything and I didn't tell anyone to change his or her life either. The conditions in Nigeria are not safe for anyone. That's a fact. The only reason Nigerians aren't dropping dead likes flies is because they've grown super resistant to normal strands of viruses and disease. Nigerians catch malaria and they're fine in a few days. When Europeans catch Nigerian malaria, they're near death.

Look at those pictures well. Men, women, and children walking through cow and goat blood like it's nothing. How can we hold our heads high and be prideful Nigerians when we have those kinds of conditions? That's worrisome and should be brought to everyone's attention.
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Onlytruth(m): 2:45am On Apr 24, 2012
Environmental pollution is the single BIGGEST existential THREAT TO NIGERIA.
That the FG or State governments are not freaking out big time about his sure death syndrome beats my imagination.

Right now, my biggest fear is that my town (often termed industrial) is a ticking time bomb, because as far as I know, no one has ever demanded environmental review process from any private industrialist in any part of Anambra state. We are in a hurry to go industrial, but we may end up wiped out by carcinogens before we may see the jobs or economic benefits of these industries. cry cry

1 Like

Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by jason123: 2:47am On Apr 24, 2012
ogugua88: The "Nigerian flavor" Jason's referring to is carcinogens.
Beaf:
Abeg, leave that thing! cheesy
Can you compare the cancer rate in Nigeria to that in "advanced countries"?
Beaf, actually processed meat contains more faecal remains than unprocessed meat.
Evidence:

When animals are slaughtered and processed (the meat is cut up and packaged), several dangerous elements come into play. The first is the presence of fecal matter from slaughtered animals, which can contaminate meat with high levels of bacteria such as E. coli. Other sanitation lapses can also contaminate food, as can other animal diseases like salmonella and campylobacter. Another food safety hazard is the risk from mad cow disease (a key step to preventing humans from contracting the disease is the proper removal of risky nervous system materials from the beef supply). And in addition to these food safety risks, the use of hazardous machinery and sharp knives can injure workers when mistakes are made.

http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/processing/

Slaughter of cattle and pigs is executed by plant workers, not machines. At more than 300 cattle slaughtered per hour, and
more than 1,000 pigs slaughtered every hour, the spread of feces is unavoidable.[90] Organs are torn and their contents
spilled. Feces are smeared and splattered. Because feces may have already spread from one cow to another during transport,
when cattle undergo the dehiding process, additional fecal contamination can result. Further, because pigs’ hides are not
removed during the slaughter process, they are put through a communal scalding tank, similar to the defeathering tank for
chickens. Thus, contaminated carcasses are put in the same water with all other carcasses, potentially infecting the
uncontaminated ones.
http://www.dfwnetmall.com/veg/pcrmpetition.htm
Re: Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? by Nobody: 2:48am On Apr 24, 2012
I don't think anyone's against roasting food outside. I'm all for barbecuing, grilling, whatever, but do it in breathable air. You wouldn't breathe air from the exhaust pipe of an old trucker, so why eat food that is exposed to that kind of air?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Muniratu Abubakar Emerges ‘the King’s Chef’ / Transport Fare Terrible, Garri No Longer Snacks’- Nigerians Weep, / Task Force Intercepts Expired Seasoning In Ogun State (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.