Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,679 members, 7,823,919 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:22 PM

Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken (5799 Views)

Simple Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe / Mallam Sales Vulture In Place Of Roasted Chicken / Roasted Chicken Sold Openly In Lagos: Where Are Our Standards? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Nchara: 1:41am On Sep 01, 2009
Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken
August 31, 2009 14:31, 722 views

By Emma Una/ Calabar

Those in the habit of buying and eating roasted chicken from road-side vendors should have a rethink as some greedy individuals now sell vulture as chicken.

The illicit trade, which is booming in Akwa Ibom State, was confirmed when a mammoth crowd on Saturday at Urua Ikot Odiong in Eket Local Government Area observed how a young man packed over ten vultures in a Ghana-Must-Go bag to prepare them for roadside barbecue .

The young man, who gave his name as Damian, was arrested at Ikot Odiong market on the fateful day at about 5 p.m with the Ghana-Must-Go bag in which he had stuffed the ten vultures.

Luck ran out on him when one of the vultures tore open a part of the bag and attempted to escape. Damian, in an attempt to prevent the vulture from escaping, put the bag down and its zip accidentally opened, exposing the contents of the bag which attracted some people.

The curious observers who gathered to observe the bizarre spectacle raised an alarm which attracted a mammoth crowd, most of them traders who were at the time busy packing their wares at the close of the day’s business.

When interrogated, Damian confessed that he sells vulture and that the vultures found on him were caught in the market. He said he had been in the business for the past five years.

Asked what he does with vultures, Damian revealed that he normally prepared some as roasted chicken which he sells to the general public.

His confession irked the crowd which attempted to lynch him but for the intervention of market officials who prevented this.

“He told us that some of the roasted chicken we eat on the road-sides, even along the Benin-Lagos road are vulture meat and that it is very delicious. Why should he do such a business in Akwa Ibom State when he knows that our people regard vulture as a taboo? ” an eye witness lamented.

The eye witness, who gave his name as Effiong, said “when the vulture man sensed that trouble was coming his way, he told the market officials that he wanted to ease himself and used that opportunity to escape into a nearby bush.”

All efforts to re-arrest him failed as it was getting dark, and the angry market union officials set the vultures ablaze.

Some months ago, a middle-aged man, whose name was withheld by a local tabloid based in Uyo, the Akwa Ibom State capital, had confessed that he earns a living selling vulture as chicken.
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Kobojunkie: 1:43am On Sep 01, 2009
roflmao!!!!!!
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Nchara: 1:43am On Sep 01, 2009
I am thoroughly tired of this country. Virtually everyone is evil or planning evil. The followership is as bad as the leadership.
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Beaf: 2:09am On Sep 01, 2009
Hasn't this been happening for a long time in Ore as well?
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Nchara: 4:19pm On Sep 01, 2009
So how many vultures have you eaten?
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by presido1: 4:26pm On Sep 01, 2009
Is Vulture not bird? The only crime or sin i see here is him not telling people that the meat on display is vulture meet.
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Seun(m): 4:42pm On Sep 01, 2009
I don't see the problem. As long as the meat tastes as good as chicken, it's fine.
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 01, 2009
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by presido1: 4:54pm On Sep 01, 2009
Seun:

I don't see the problem. As long as the meat tastes as good as chicken, it's fine.
The only problem is deceit. If he label it as Vulture meet then no problem but if he label it as chicken the their is problem.
Seun if somebody deceive you to buy pork as beef will u like it?.
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Fhemmmy: 5:52pm On Sep 01, 2009
Chieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Seun(m): 5:55pm On Sep 01, 2009
The issue is their culture regards vultures as a taboo, I guess. But it's not such a big deal.
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by spikedcylinder: 6:08pm On Sep 01, 2009
Eeeeew!!!!
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Hauwa1: 8:01pm On Sep 01, 2009
Nwoke Presido1, i will make your ogbono soup with Vulture meat
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Ogaga4Luv(m): 8:08pm On Sep 01, 2009
hehehehehehehehehe. . . . . .  grin    grin another funny person.
*Hauwa*:

Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by mohawkchic(f): 3:21am On Sep 02, 2009
~If the people buying didnt know any better. . . .then i suppose that means Vulture & Chicken tatse the same! Hmm . . .  undecided
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by chiejik(f): 10:11am On Sep 02, 2009
tufiakwa
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by presido1: 10:19am On Sep 02, 2009
*Hauwa*:

As far as itz from My own Hauwa bring it on. Even Vulture pepersoup cheesy cheesy.
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by chrisical(m): 11:23am On Sep 03, 2009
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by CrazyMan(m): 12:47pm On Sep 03, 2009
hmm Wonders shall never end.
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by mamagee6(f): 12:48am On Sep 04, 2009
What a stupid man.
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by chic2pimp(m): 1:00am On Sep 04, 2009
Kai wetin be dis for f**k sake. I don see and hia everything for dat una country sha. Everything goes,na the watchword for that country sha. Lord have mercy on all of us ooo.
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Ogaga4Luv(m): 5:23pm On Sep 13, 2009
Topic:

And then. ., Is it a Crime? huh Tell me if you dont eat flesh, Oh you hate Vulture simply because he eats up death bodies at the Cementary ,but that's not an Excusse to hate the poor bird. .Peherps i knew most people here are pretending not to. . .but some people here that have just share on this issue must have tasted this special meat. tongue

Lets be honest you hate the poor bird because he got bald neck.lol grin grin
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Nobody: 9:00pm On Sep 16, 2009
Well, i don't like chicken suya anyway!
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by infobox: 2:12am On Sep 17, 2009
Well, to catch a vulture isn't that hard. It takes precision. I know alot of people would PM me cause of my reply on this thread. I saw a guy catch it back in my days in boarding school. What he did was go to the site where cattle is being slaughtered, take some pieces o raw meat, add snuff to it and throw all around the area. When the vultures see the pieces of meat, they'll land, eat it and go dizzy. Then he goes about picking up it half or dizzy vultures, break their necks and puts them in a sack. On days he has much time on his hands, he cuts off their heads and puts them in the sack. That's all. So for all those that want to eat vulture meat and don't know how to catch them, I've just given you a tip. But if they arrest you, I no follow o! shocked
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by bgees(m): 5:19am On Sep 17, 2009
Tastee Fried Vulture(TFV)
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Shentz(f): 8:41am On Sep 17, 2009
Always hated buying food from street stalls always found it soo unhygienic. Uggh but that's nasty because vultures eat dead, rotten things.
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by presido1: 9:59am On Sep 18, 2009
*Shentz*:

Always hated buying food from street stalls always found it soo unhygienic. Uggh but that's nasty because vultures eat dead, rotten things.
what of Nigerian Chickens that eat shit?
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 19, 2009
Zhis is like selling roasted lizard as suya
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by Dclique(m): 12:22am On Sep 21, 2009
Mehn.,thats its.
No more suya for me.
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by dipo2much(m): 3:46am On Oct 08, 2009
;d
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by TOYOSI20(f): 10:22pm On Oct 10, 2009
Beaf:

Hasn't this been happening for a long time in Ore as well?

im afraid it has! undecided lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: Man Sells Vulture As Roasted Chicken by LordReed(m): 5:53pm On Oct 16, 2009
O cmon this a country where we eat monitor lizard, 'grasscutter' n 404 aka dog n somebody is complaining of vulture. Abeg!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Make Owo Soup / What Happens When You Add Sugar And Maggi To Your Cooked Beans / Man Shares Photo Of The Rice & Chicken He Ordered From A Chinese Restaurant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.