Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:38 AM

My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria (10810 Views)

Widow Banished From Ekiti For Refusing Traditional Oath / My Boyfriend's Parents Don't Approve Me, And They Haven't Even Met Me Yet / I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Pip(m): 1:45am On Nov 13, 2007
this called "Living In Bondage Part 6"
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by poochy(f): 9:47am On Nov 13, 2007
Tanushka,swearing an oath with a guy? DON'T DO IT. Why? Not everybody in Nigeria swears to an oath.By the way, it is almost out of 'fashion'. What if the guy dies? His ghost will just keep haunting u for life and might even kill u. He just wants to tie u to him 4 life though it is as if he loves u but never swear to an oath. For the pregnancy, keep it and if he says no,have the baby and take care of ur child singlehandedly.Afterall, u won't be the only single mom and u will never be the last. Just take care of urself and ur baby and never swear to an oath. OK?
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by poochy(f): 9:51am On Nov 13, 2007
shocked shocked shocked
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by mekoyo(m): 10:44am On Nov 13, 2007
It is not a tradition here in Nigeria. Taking blood oaths is a sin before God. God does not permit that so please dont indulge yourself in such act. If you love eachother then give it a go and not the oath thing, its not right.

Please dont do it.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by DoubleN(m): 12:34pm On Nov 13, 2007
Don't even think about it!Do you want to put yourself in spiritual bondage?
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Ivvie: 4:58pm On Nov 13, 2007
What is this oath thing? It seems to be common in Nigeria especially the west. Does anyone have a biblical reference from the old testament to this? It is also practiced here in America amongst whites and theirs is even worse as it's now modernised. What are the terms of the contract(s) in a broad term.

@Poster

What tribe is your so-called nigerian?! Not all nigerians are desperate for papers. They opt for white girls because african troubles are impossible to leave with (no disrespect).

::Out of Question::

Some of you are pitiful. Is there anything wrong communicating in languages other than English?
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Ivvie: 5:08pm On Nov 13, 2007
@Mekoyo

It is a tradition or a practice if you are yoruba or igbo. People may not practise it but its not an abolished practice. I have met nigerians here that are so tribalistic and so tuned to the customs of where they originate. For instance, the drinking of the bathe water of the corpse of a spouse is very common in igbo tradition. , and many other things that may sound uncomprehendable. These things are true and have effects to them. People pretend to have no idea of what's going on because they give the false impression that they are modernised. Indeed, modernised! It doesn't shield the fact that the truth still persist.

Tradition is culture and culture is a way of life associated to a particular group of people confined to a limited goegraphical region.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Darola(m): 5:21pm On Nov 13, 2007
Simple, short, straight to the point- Dont agree to the Oat and stand by that
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Ivvie: 5:40pm On Nov 13, 2007
@Darola

Agree or don't agree, a transaction has taken place. You cannot double cross something that governs you when all principles are met.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by playmate(f): 10:21pm On Nov 13, 2007
AN OATH!!!!!!

dont do it,it is still done in very few parts of nigeria but any lady in her right senses would never do it.

frm wat u said bout d guy he's up 2 sth blive me its better 4 u 2 opt out of d relationship cos i can tell u oath-taking has VERY SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES,blive me u dont want 2 know.

remember ders always an option, gudluck

@ivvie
are u a nigerian?dos traditional things are done in [b]very very few places dat are not civilized.[/b]we're here 2 advise her 2 do d right thing stop putting ideas into her head.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by FemiATL: 10:49pm On Nov 13, 2007
Oath  , does it work in Naija or work period! Cos our leaders take oaths everyday and break it immediately they finish the last sentence. grin grin grin
But on the other side don't you have relatives in the Russian mafia------just tell him you have told your relative what happened-------finish. At the end you will have double insurance-----1. in Russia------2. in hell.

Don't do it!
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Ivvie: 12:00am On Nov 14, 2007
@Playmates

I'm nigerian by blood but not mentally and I've lived in nigeria a little over a decade. I wasn't putting anything into anyone's head. I went to a civilised secondary school and I live in a "very civilised" part of Lagos. That oath thing is still practised irrespective of classe. My Dad works for the biggest oil company besides Nigerian pertroleum corporation and he tells me fetish things people do. Not too far from my home in Lagos, patrol policemen stopped a V12 (Beast, Mercedes) and was asked to open his trunk. There were 12 human heads in the trunk of his V12. Quite unusual to stop a man of such social status. This happens to be the neighbour down the estate. I'm far more western than you (no doubt) but living in both worlds just made it common that there are strange things that happen inbetween black and white. Diabolical practices still very much exist in nigeria. The oath thing is still a piece of the entire fruit cake. It's nothing to do with civilisation or education. I am educated and my parents are engineers too. I really don't make friends because I don't trust anyone (if you know me personally) unless otherwise. I know my roots to conclude that wickedness is what orchestrated the entire structure. It'll be foolish to negate the fact that nothing happens and humans live as animals handling the day as it comes. Being a nigerian and deceiving yourself that nothing goes on is pure fallacy. Funny, nigerians it becoming real trendy to believe self-deceit.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by playmate(f): 12:31am On Nov 14, 2007
@ ivvie
yeah yeah yeah,u shuttled btw d two worlds dat makes u 'far more western' dan me.give me a break, undecided
who cares if uve even left planet earth.i am also educated if u must know so dnt give dat shit
u dont really make friends, see wat ur belief is doing 2 u or rather ur STRONG belief.
fine i blive u
yes wickedness has really eaten deep in d entire structure but av u ever tot 4 a sec dat life is all about moving on?
take tym 2 read d topic again nd u'll see we're here 2 advise her. wink
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Ivvie: 1:19am On Nov 14, 2007
@Playmate

Life moving on is directly proportional to wickedness soaring.  It's only in a whole new phase that is dynamic.  Wickedness is soaring and the fact that you are blinded or caged does not seize the fact that it is true.  Stop deceiving yourself.  I'm western than you is nothing but some kind of identity.  I don't brag about it and there is nothing demeaning about being African. My phrase was only to stress the fact that its still the same sun that reveals itself to the corners of the earth.  Witchcraft is thick in Africa especially Nigeria and less intense in Western parts and for Nigerians to shun such fact is far more unrealistic.  I didn't shuttle both worlds, I only did my secondary school in Lagos.  Your method of reasoning is not the same as mine and will never be due to environmental influences.  That is just the bare truth.  Yet, I am aware of such wickedness happening and you say the opposite.  Funny enough, Nigerian-Americans believe likewise and Nigerians claim the opposite.

Things are real and that is for sure.  You don't have to believe anything.  I am settled/satisfied with the fact that you know the truth even though you deceive yourself in the belief that it no longer exist.  Witchcraft is a territorial/celestial stronghold and civilisation does not erase such establishment.

If you don't know where you are coming from, you surely don't know where you are going. I only wanted to know what blood ties entails and why people still get into it. I don't see anything wrong in telling the african culture and its fetishism and tribalism.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by playmate(f): 8:52am On Nov 14, 2007
@ ivvie
wow!9ce of u 2 notice dat am blinded nd caged.10ks,it makes me know u dont undestand wat i mean
well wat i mean is dat if our generation isn't cautious,we'll allow d mistakes of d older generation ruin us
corruption actually starts frm d family 2 d president
incase u dnt know wit God all things are possible if only we give him d chance,dis fetish stuff will b eradicated
dats y we are being warned nd told wat is happening so as not 2 make d same mistake
not dat ders anything dat can b done
but we can try 2 make tins better
nd not complicating it by dwelling too much on it
u said it all u're thinking like a nig-american
nd u're still insisting u're westerner dan i am because u studied abroad
do u no me? ? i guess not
well i'll drop in l8r lipsrsealed
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Oby1(f): 12:41pm On Nov 14, 2007
Since you have taken this oath with him and you said you have revoke it. Is it just by words? I'm not sure it has been properly revoked.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by abdkabir(m): 1:15pm On Nov 14, 2007
[center]To AUTHOR,

SIMPLE AND CLEAR. TANUSHKA !!!!!!!!!

DON'T DO A BLOOD OATH WITH ANYONE. !!!!!!!!!!!!!
IT'S PUTS YOUR LIFE AT RISK. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF A MAN CAN'T TRUST YOU ON YOUR WORDS AND ACTIONS THEN ASK YOURSELF,
IS IT WORTH BEING WITH HIM?

REGARDS[/center]
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Shinatu: 1:44pm On Nov 14, 2007
@Ivvie

What you simply want us to know is that you be 'aje'(ajebutter) ? Daddy- Engineer,Mummy -Engineer, Grandparents-Professors grin
O.k we get the message.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Ivvie: 4:31pm On Nov 14, 2007
@playmate

Didn't claim your accusations. Quit stressing on western thing, I used it as a landmark for reference. It isn't just Lagos where the unheard has been heard or unseen foreseen, the United States has it's reputation for such b'zire. I'm originally from Louisiana and the episode take a turn when New Orleans is made reference to. New Orleans is known as the city of Witchcraft and the source of decadence. Occultic practices are real and brushing it aside is stupidly awaiting danger. The reason why I spoke about education is because people refer to understanding dark mysteries as uneducation/ illeteracy and uncivilisation. That was why I used the joker of education. Not believing it doesn't erase its existence. There are darker insights that I won't stress about but true in life. With respect to nigerian americans, I meant that they believe in occultic manifestations, why wouldn't nigerian that air around it believe in it. If witchcraft can be studied as a course in which you'll be graded on (especially in the efficasy of spell casting), some of us will need to reconsider where we are coming from.

My simple question before it was digressed was the terms of blood oaths and why people opt for it instead of proceeding as any simple person would.

We are all a product of our ancestors. The bible also makes it clear that we are also responsible for the sins of our ancestors. I know way-back 11 generations on my Mom's side and 3 on my Dad's. We are all decendants ancestors that delved into occultism. Why do we shy from it?

Many of the nigerians that I know are occultic (to some level). It is still passed down.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Ivvie: 4:40pm On Nov 14, 2007
@Shinatu

You are butter. Don't you ever call me that, besides, my grandparents are diabolically natured. They are grounded in the occult. I have experienced wickedness so I am not talking out of the book. I have gotten to know a few nigerians that are fetish. The common understanding is they are old or mid 50's. True enough, they are in their 20's. They belong to some cult.

The truth in life is that you cannot excel without some form of power source. You'll be a mediocre through life. This life is all about being violent and sticking to it. It's not all about science. I am into science but the knowledge is limited. I meditate on the scriptures and it takes me far. Life is black or white with no gray. Living life carefree is a choice I recommend nobody to take.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Sonye(f): 6:34pm On Nov 14, 2007
I think we have said enough. I have not heard anything from the poster yet

@Poster
U dey do or u no dey do?
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by TANUSHKA(f): 6:43pm On Nov 14, 2007
hello
we did it and we was living with dat 'oath' around 3 month. after i broke it up ,
we are goin to marry just waitin wen his older brother will come to support us.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by FemiATL: 8:22pm On Nov 14, 2007
Ivvie,

I like how you express yourself. Thanks for the gist. Will be looking forward to reading on your comments from time to time.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Ivvie: 9:09pm On Nov 14, 2007
@FemiATL

I am trully proud that I spent lived in Lagos, lest you'll be narrow sighted about what life is all about. Many things transcends our understanding. It will be foolish to put them aside and assume it's at bay. You cannot have an egg of a snake and leave it in your basement/garage and conclude it doesn't exist or it's been there a long time now.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by playmate(f): 9:57pm On Nov 14, 2007
@ivvie
really
ur grandparents are diabolical
now i know how all dis got into ur head
i no witchcraft is studied in some unis but not in nig unis(not dat i no of anyway)

u meditate on d scriptures,dats 9ce
i no things like dat happen av also heard stories
i wnt 2 no sth do u blive in being diabolic?
its not about it being pasd down,its about if ull accept it or not
nd i no definately u won't accept 2 b diabolical
blive me i really understand ur point
but its not like we nigerians are blinded
we no wats happening in our surroundings
but its all about getting used 2 it nd moving on
cos we can't let dat slow our pace
but at d same time watching our backs
nd being cautious

hp u understand now. smiley
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Ivvie: 10:26pm On Nov 14, 2007
Blood is thicker than water and the same blood flows from your ancestors down the tree.  I'm a true Christian and I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.  Things exist that are complicated to the natural mind. Some people still practise these things yet they are of societal influence. That is how they make it to the top of the societal chain.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by playmate(f): 11:15pm On Nov 14, 2007
Ivvie:

Blood is thicker than water and the same blood flows from your ancestors down the tree.  I'm a true Christian and I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.  Things exist that are complicated to the natural mind. Some people still practise these things yet they are of societal influence. That is how they make it to the top of the societal chain.

so, i don't get it
please explain further
yes blood is thicker dan water but der are other things dat affect people concerning being diabolical
like upbringing,environment,temperament etc
its 9ce dat we're aving dis discussion.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Ivvie: 11:19pm On Nov 14, 2007
Playmate

Don't worry about it. Nothing proverbial and it wasn't an insult, just talking on the screen. smiley smiley smiley

Thumbs up!
Peace
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by playmate(f): 11:25pm On Nov 14, 2007
@ivvie
was hoping u'll get back online
i didnt take it as an insult

@author
i dnt understand u anymore
u mean u've done it,u broke it up,u plan on gettin married
so what re we doing here?
please explain beta i'm kinda confused undecided
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by Ivvie: 11:38pm On Nov 14, 2007
@playmate

It was just plain with no meaning attached to it.
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by TANUSHKA(f): 9:23am On Nov 15, 2007
Thanks for everybody for reply !
i regret dat i didnt ask about this before because i understood that its something dangerous
thank u,
Re: My Boyfriend Wants To 'Take An Oath' In Nigeria by NINETOFIVE(m): 12:55pm On Nov 15, 2007
I didn't answer the question I asked, neither did I put words into her mouth.

It's either one or the other that decided to have a baby.

Unless a baby was planned from the onset, which I doubt. A bit more info makes a difference to whatever answers she'll get from here.

Siena You are such an ignorant muther phucker, you are so phucking dumb that I almost puked, why would anybody want to intentionally have a baby in Russia, have you even been to Russia? you sound so naive, why would he want to to tie her down?, what is it going to benefit him? Russian document is as good as toilet tissue, stop exposing your warped mentality on the net, even if the poor guy decides to stay in Russia , he would every day try to protect his life from getting lynched, my advice to you Siena is to go to Russia on holiday and get lynched, Yop tvayo mat piydar.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why We’ll Continue To Promote Sango Festival – Alaafin / Demographics Of Kogi State / Why Cant Nigerian Beaches Be Like This? Like Caribbean Beaches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.