Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,506 members, 7,819,834 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? (31174 Views)

Washing Automobile Mechanical Parts With Petrol; Is It Really Wrong? / What Are Your Experiences With A V6 Engine? Does It Consume A Lot Of Fuel? / What Makes A V6 Engine Different From Normal Car Engines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by tushbobo(m): 8:24pm On May 03, 2012
V6 all the way.my V6 accord does lagos to benin with half tank.my brother's V4 camry does lagos to benin with half tank.whats the difference??
V6 engines consume more fuel when its within the city but it also depends on how u drive it.Drive like a gentle man and u ll get d best mileage.
Ma V6 leaves lagos 6am get to PH 1.45pm. thats what i want from a car u know.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by davioli(m): 9:55pm On May 03, 2012
V6 engines in japaneese cars like toyota, honda n nissan are the ish I won't lie.. The 6cyl in benz and bmw's are also mad with quick throttle response action. It doesn't give u that monster sound like the v8 bur it still gives u that growl. The mechanics will always do anytin 2 extort money. The key is knw how ur car functions n treat it right. When issues arises go for a diagnostic check. V6 engines... Way to go
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 10:12pm On May 03, 2012
@Behind bobo and davioli,
no doubt jap engineers make beautiful v6 engines,especially honda and nissan, i must agree...once u drive a v6 for long it gets difficult 2adjust 2an ordinary 4banger.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by eddy42k(m): 10:53am On May 04, 2012
ur mechanic should drop spanners and sell orange, bro my isuzu rodeo manual 2001, is a v6 , i stay at ajao estate i go to ajah every day with 15litres with ac and the heavy trafic but my camry 4cylinder takes 20liter for same trip so what do u say to dat,,,i love de V6
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by miccodb(m): 2:24pm On May 04, 2012
any car that 'cosumes' petrol has a problem. released vwehicles undergo performance tests after manufacture. so buy quality and quantity else just go for quality alone!
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by omar22(m): 6:43pm On May 04, 2012
eseosa77: i ve been using a v6 bmw 3 series for 5 years now,the fuel economy is suparb.i ve friends who uses volkwagen,audi benz,dem dey trip how my car no dey comsume fuel dispite being a v6 engine.U will not believe i went to winners charpel(cannan land) with full tank to and fro benin and my friend whose audi wagon was 2wks old,has to buy half tank when we were coming back.that car does not consume fuel at all each time i travell with it.Yesterday i just bought another v6 BMW 3series and gave the old one to my dad.Note that the v6 is more espensive when u are buying from the factory,but because of the complex nature of it,our mechanics who cannot handle it very well,would ask u to go for the v4,therefore the demand for v4 increased thereby increasing the price over v6.

BMW does not have a V6 engine, they stuck with the straight 6 they do have the V8 but thats on the M5
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by omar22(m): 6:56pm On May 04, 2012
Behind bobo: V6 all the way.my V6 accord does lagos to benin with half tank.my brother's V4 camry does lagos to benin with half tank.whats the difference??
V6 engines consume more fuel when its within the city but it also depends on how u drive it.Drive like a gentle man and u ll get d best mileage.
Ma V6 leaves lagos 6am get to PH 1.45pm. thats what i want from a car u know.

V4 Engine did I hear that right?

You would only find a V4 engine on a MOTOR BIKE!!!

Camry is either a straight 4 or a V6
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 12:13am On May 05, 2012
omar22:

BMW does not have a V6 engine, they stuck with the straight 6 they do have the V8 but thats on the M5
and the m3
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by KA24DETT(m): 6:42pm On May 05, 2012
yungboss:
and the m3
I think that's a V8. Not a V6.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by KA24DETT(m): 6:50pm On May 05, 2012
Olubachar:
My 98 model pathfinder consumes fuel like fire. This motor consumed 37 liters from Ibadan to Akure( 2hrs journey) and the car was toksly purchased some few months ago. I'm even afraid to purchase ''any'' V6 car again.

Your car uses nissan VG33EE. It is an iron block engine . No variable valve time timing or double overhead cam. So it is not very fuel efficient . And moreover pathfinder is very heavy and that's why u get very bad fuel economy . Engine technology and come a long way since 98. U can swap your engine for a vq35de found in murano, Altima , Infiniti g35. It depends on how much u love your car..
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by dashlinks(m): 10:12pm On May 05, 2012
victorazy: My V6 Laguna Renault is killing me. My problem is that e too over heat, and the greatest mistake I made is to buy d same V6 engine for 90k and still having problem.

your problem is not the engine of your car but the make of your car, you have very limited dealers of your spares, hence you buy the best (to your knowledge) of what you see
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by dashlinks(m): 10:49pm On May 05, 2012
i used a 1998 accord wayback in 2005 and when i switched it in 2006 for a V6 2003 end of discussion, i asked myself what i was doing with those toys i used to drive, seriously when it comes to fuel consumption within the city, it depends on how u drive like someone earlier said and quite frankly when people say motor dey chop fuel, i just turn to my God and say Baba God please let the kinda reasoning poverty has caused this person's thinking not affect mine oh, c'mon its just like asking for a 4cylinder range rover, ferrari, maserati, bugatti,rolls royce, bentley etc, luxury cars dont come with toy engine,i would gladly take a v6 engine of any jap car than a more expensive 4cylinder anyday, besides check car sales websites, compare the costs of same cars with 4cylinder and 6cyl engines e.g the 08 accord, the v6 engines come about $4k-$5k+ more expensive than the v6 cos they are built to last much longer, they deliver the same performance and more than a 4cyl with more ease, its just like 4 horses and 6 horses doing same job, obviously the 4horses will retire earlier than the 6. In december i drove my 06 limited edition avalon to ekiti and the road was superb, freshly tarred and the car just took over with clocking 160 with the greatest of ease and i returned to lagos with a quarter tank, same level the 4cylinder 09 camry that we convoyed together made, so the fuel consumption is over rated. As for the gear box issues, a lot of users dont know how to maintain the gear systems, these new cars are more intelligent and they have specific gear oils, same as engine oils to use, engine oils differ in grade and viscosity, some cars require 5W engine oils and some others, its not just about my mechanic(who has no idea what the contents are) said super xhp is the best if u cant afford mobil 1, since the v6 eod, i have briefly used a 3.5ltr altima(which i had to quickly off-load), used a 2007 v6 accord before the avalon and now i drive an LX470 which is the first V8 i av used and i must say its been super fun, plus its a car with too much extras
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by dashlinks(m): 11:36pm On May 05, 2012
look this pic from my bro's 2001 bmw 740, that has done 250k miles shocked, still doing 120 and still under 2rev/min, thia is a v8, a 4cylinder would be close to 3 or past doing this on an 11yr old car with 250k miles on the dash

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by KA24DETT(m): 12:49am On May 06, 2012
dashlinks: look this pic from my bro's 2001 bmw 740, that has done 250k miles shocked, still doing 120 and still under 2rev/min, thia is a v8, a 4cylinder would be close to 3 or past doing this on an 11yr old car with 250k miles on the dash

Its aV8 so obviously the engine dosent have to spin that much.. That's why u have that rpm at 120km. What the 4 banger got on you is FUEL ECONOMY. Moreover 250,000km is not that much in a car .
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 12:57am On May 06, 2012
KA24DETT:
I think that's a V8. Not a V6.
yea,exactly what i said. The m3 is V8
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 1:17am On May 06, 2012
dashlinks: look this pic from my bro's 2001 bmw 740, that has done 250k miles shocked, still doing 120 and still under 2rev/min, thia is a v8, a 4cylinder would be close to 3 or past doing this on an 11yr old car with 250k miles on the dash
thats true brother. 6 cyl engines have been overly misjudged in fuel consumption. I used a Merc C220, '96. 4pots, gues what, it uses more petrol on the highway than my current 6-cylinder BMW. Truth is, if one loves good things and really likes to enjoy driving its illogical comparing a 6cyl to a 4. Like you righly said,the Range Rovers,Bentleys etc, also the AMGs, bmw Mseries just name it can present you with pleasure you'l not find in an ordinary 4cyl
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by KA24DETT(m): 2:04am On May 06, 2012
dashlinks: i used a 1998 accord wayback in 2005 and when i switched it in 2006 for a V6 2003 end of discussion, i asked myself what i was doing with those toys i used to drive, seriously when it comes to fuel consumption within the city, it depends on how u drive like someone earlier said and quite frankly when people say motor dey chop fuel, i just turn to my God and say Baba God please let the kinda reasoning poverty has caused this person's thinking not affect mine oh, c'mon its just like asking for a 4cylinder range rover, ferrari, maserati, bugatti,rolls royce, bentley etc, luxury cars dont come with toy engine,i would gladly take a v6 engine of any jap car than a more expensive 4cylinder anyday, besides check car sales websites, compare the costs of same cars with 4cylinder and 6cyl engines e.g the 08 accord, the v6 engines come about $4k-$5k+ more expensive than the v6 cos they are built to last much longer, they deliver the same performance and more than a 4cyl with more ease, its just like 4 horses and 6 horses doing same job, obviously the 4horses will retire earlier than the 6. In december i drove my 06 limited edition avalon to ekiti and the road was superb, freshly tarred and the car just took over with clocking 160 with the greatest of ease and i returned to lagos with a quarter tank, same level the 4cylinder 09 camry that we convoyed together made, so the fuel consumption is over rated. As for the gear box issues, a lot of users dont know how to maintain the gear systems, these new cars are more intelligent and they have specific gear oils, same as engine oils to use, engine oils differ in grade and viscosity, some cars require 5W engine oils and some others, its not just about my mechanic(who has no idea what the contents are) said super xhp is the best if u cant afford mobil 1, since the v6 eod, i have briefly used a 3.5ltr altima(which i had to quickly off-load), used a 2007 v6 accord before the avalon and now i drive an LX470 which is the first V8 i av used and i must say its been super fun, plus its a car with too much extras

The reason why people prefer 4 banger is fuel economy . 4 cylinder lasts as long as v6 if well taken care of. You all need to stop thinking that 4 cylinders don't make enough power. Wait till you drive Mitsubishi evolution with their turbocharged engines or Subaru wrx STI. Now that's a 4 cylinder that would make a v8 look childish. 300 Horsepower from a 4 cylinder ain't no joke
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 5:11am On May 06, 2012
KA24DETT:

The reason why people prefer 4 banger is fuel economy . 4 cylinder lasts as long as v6 if well taken care of. You all need to stop thinking that 4 cylinders don't make enough power. Wait till you drive Mitsubishi evolution with their turbocharged engines or Subaru wrx STI. Now that's a 4 cylinder that would make a v8 look childish. 300 Horsepower from a 4 cylinder ain't no joke
there's a difference btw an ordinary 4 and a Turboed4
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by dashlinks(m): 7:17am On May 06, 2012
KA24DETT:

OGA BUT U HAVE SAID IT YOURSELF NAH, TURBOCHARGED!!!!, CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT A TURBOCHARGED V6/V8 MIGHT DO!!!!!, OK THIS IS ANOTHER PIC FOR YOUR AMUSEMENT, AND SHOW ME THE "TURBOCHARGEDLESS" 4CYLINDER THAT CAN DO THAT WITHOUT PACKING UP ITS MANIFOLDS, SUMP, GEAR BOX AND STUFFS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD, POINT OF CORRECTION THIS 11YR OLD V8 AS YOU CAN SEE HAS DONE ALMOST 300K MILES!!!!!!!!, HAD TO WAKE UP EARLY AND TAKE THE CAR OUT TO DO THIS

1 Like

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by tushbobo(m): 9:51am On May 06, 2012
Everyone has got their preferences so just get what u feel u need.I use a V6 and its good but wud nt advice someone who needs a car just for city commuting and is considering fuelling cost to get one.My mazda 626 V4 back then used to get to 180kmph without stress.But ma V6 gives me d all d power i need
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 10:29am On May 06, 2012
Behind bobo: Everyone has got their preferences so just get what u feel u need.I use a V6 and its good but wud nt advice someone who needs a car just for city commuting and is considering fuelling cost to get one.My mazda 626 V4 back then used to get to 180kmph without stress.But ma V6 gives me d all d power i need
every car gets to 180kmph,i once hit 170+ in my c220 4cyl. But thats stres 4d car my brother compared to the ease of a v6 or v8,doing that in a v8 or v6 would look effortless. U need more 'force', power(hp) to tear the wind open at such speed,there's somthng called 'drag' that comes into play at such speed, alot of power is needed to overcome this. thats where u appreciate a car with a superior hp...v8,v6.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by godssonibk: 1:46am On Jun 15, 2012
V6's are the best..Nigeria mech have damaged a lot of people heart whereas they know nothing about what they are talking about..Have you ever seen an ifinity SUV with i4?? Have you ever seen a Big SUV or the big trucks such as Tundra, Avalanche, Tacoma, TT200, F250 E.t.c with a i4 drive system?? No you can'r see because they will never respond to what the manufacturer/consumer want...There is nothing like driving a V6, I never tasted a v8, v10 i keep wondering how they would be moving or what they would offer. I driver a 2002 Jaguar (X-Type) O boy this car have no issue and you need to see how it move, I recently got a Mazda6 2005 V6 (3,0 liter, 220 horse power) it sound and drive like a power bike..I will never drive a i4, i rather be a passenger in it. The Jaguar consume less fuel than the Japanese (Mazda, toyora, honda), I never drive a car that consume less fuel than this aprt from a volkwagen golf 3 lol..V6 thumbs up..I pray and hope to get a V8 Truck maybe a cadilac truck or the Avalanche real soon...Could anyone imagine a BMW X6 With i4 engine?
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Trac: 11:41pm On Jun 25, 2012
yungboss: Nothing is wrong wit a V6, our mechanics dont understand its complex nature, v6 for me, is better since i like the power it delivers. It's also smoother. I have a straight-six engine which has been so reliable

A straight-six is not a v6. This is inherently smoother than the v6 and it is balanced. The v6 is a rough engine compared to the straight 6 that you drive. They don't also perform well in mid-to-upper band, hence all the torque is usually concentrated in the lower rev range. If you notice, you will have to rev your engine to translate into the power band for it's not so torquey at the lower range. This is the nature of the inline engines. The v6 is a flawed engine and will always be. Most v6 on the road today don't have the secondary order flaw eliminated. It's too expensive and not worth the cost (especially on an economy engine). It also doesn't give much performance. The worst are the 90 degree v6's.

The straight six's or the horizontally opposed are the quintessence of six cylinder arrangement.

The straight-six' are also durable and cost less in maintenance. It's difficult to design and manufacture. It's also an engine that leave almost no room for error during packaging.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Trac: 12:18am On Jun 26, 2012
yungboss:
every car gets to 180kmph,i once hit 170+ in my c220 4cyl. But thats stres 4d car my brother compared to the ease of a v6 or v8,doing that in a v8 or v6 would look effortless. U need more 'force', power(hp) to tear the wind open at such speed,there's somthng called 'drag' that comes into play at such speed, alot of power is needed to overcome this. thats where u appreciate a car with a superior hp...v8,v6.

Not every car gets to 100mph or approximately 110mph as you stated. Most American cars (including the big ones and the trucks) are limited to about 90+ and many that aren't governed that low will begin to be asthmatic at such conditions. The Mercedes is different for it is designed to move at top speed for 24 hours non-stop as effortlessly as you would drive at normal road speeds with exceptional road manners. Your explanation of wind resistance makes partial logic; it's twisted and not applicable in all but you have an idea. Vehicles are designed differently and Mercedes left no area untouch in high speed/lane change characteristics. The v6 will not get to top-end effortlessly due to its inherent nature. When it does, it will be coarse and performance will begin to diminish after a while. This is due to the residual shaking forces or rocking couples and heat. Moving through air faster is not dependent on engine but how streamline the volume surface is. How would you explain the Lotus? How would you explain the 356 with its 4 cyl VW engine that rated 45hp and a top speed of almost 90 miles per hour trashing the Ferrari and Maserati's that were v8's and v12's of that era, thus winning the GT race? Aerodynamics is very important and that is very difficult to conceptualise. Don't get me wrong, it is not independent of power but power and lousy drag coefficient will yield unimpressive performance.

As a fact, after 100 miles per hours in a Mercedes Benz, you are being sucked-in as you proceed. You don't feel the resistance as you would feel in other cars and it is stable and composed. Much fuel isn't used as well and the power is also refined. This truly is engineering for a sedan and this is an E Class. You feel pulled into the air. They are biased this way.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by femmy2010(m): 4:41am On Jun 26, 2012
The only thing wrong with V6 Engines are bad mechanics or good ones still living in the past.
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 5:10am On Jun 26, 2012
Trac, for the first time, I disagree with you on your theory on V6.

Am not here to talk about the I6 or dispute the fact that is good. Am not a theorist or an idealist, but a realist. I dont talk about what i dont know of or have not used. I havent driven or used an I6, So i cant comment on what i dont know. But i have heard how sweet an I6 could sound when on high rev. A school of thought argues that I6 performs better, while another school of thought will swear by V6 performance. Like I said, am not a theorist. But I have seen BMW I6 in action & could say they are damn machines!

Now to your theory on the V6. Its wrong for you to say all V6 are flawed engines. I dont know the V6s you have used that made you conclude so. I have two PRVs. Guess what? Each are 90 degrees V6s, not 60 degrees. I know where you are going with the 90 degrees: the imbalance. But guess what again? My two PRVs have Balance shaft on each of their right cylinder banks. The first generation PRV (90 degrees) suffered the mechanical imbalance because it was an odd-fire engine, hence the vibrations. But then the second generation PRV that the Renault 25 introduced, was an even-fire 90 degree V6. The balancer shaft in the even-fire PRV made it one of the smoothest & sweetest running V6 ever produced in that era, hence the elimination of engine vibration. The higher you rev the engine, the smoother & sweeter it sounds. Hence, the V6 songs!

I was driving to Enugu from my hometown, Awkuzu, on Onitsha-Enugu expressway with my brother last January, with my 605 V6 5sp manual. At a point, he asked me " how come the car is so soundless at the speed I was doing (which i dont want to mention here), as if there is no engine in the engine bay?" He was impressed. At that speed I was doing, he couldnt believe there was no vibration of any form, no engine sound heard (which we would have been hearing harsh engine sound with most I4) & the car was tearing the wind effortlessly. Yes, I could say effortlessly because I was the one driving. I knew how light i depressed the throttle pedal, which I was barely accelerating, yet the car was flying, you could say that. Since that day, he was converted, a V6 believer! The other day, he called me & was so excited that he saw a Peugeot 406 V6 for sale where he stays. But sadly, didnt have the financial strength to take the car home, make it his. A truely converted V6 fellow! I felt sad too.

Should we talk about my RWD Peugeot 505 V6 5 speed manual? Lets not even go there. Test-drive one & your theory will change, if you can still find one, anyway. I believe a lot of 60 degree V6 owners out there will have one or two things they will say too about theirs, how difficult it is for them to leave the V6 world because of the performances of the V6s they own or have owned. Like I said, am a realist, not an idealist.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 7:50am On Jun 26, 2012
hmm interesting facts...i'm kindof busy to respond now
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 8:18am On Jun 26, 2012
Trac:

A straight-six is not a v6. This is inherently smoother than the v6 and it is balanced. The v6 is a rough engine compared to the straight 6 that you drive. They don't also perform well in mid-to-upper band, hence all the torque is usually concentrated in the lower rev range. If you notice, you will have to rev your engine to translate into the power band for it's not so torquey at the lower range. This is the nature of the inline engines. The v6 is a flawed engine and will always be. Most v6 on the road today don't have the secondary order flaw eliminated. It's too expensive and not worth the cost (especially on an economy engine). It also doesn't give much performance. The worst are the 90 degree v6's.

The straight six's or the horizontally opposed are the quintessence of six cylinder arrangement.

The straight-six' are also durable and cost less in maintenance. It's difficult to design and manufacture. It's also an engine that leave almost no room for error during packaging.

Trac you facts have alot of rough edges to them...i travelled last year in an 8-yr old merc c320 v6 and there was nothing like vibration you mentioned, like ik said what's the function of the balance shafts? So you mean to say all v6 engines are a flaw? Interesting.
At high speed, aerodynamics come into play i agree. But power matters to a great extent
Lets look at a hypothetical case, a toyota celica rated at say, 170hp and a 5.7l toyota tundra rated at 450hp (hypo numbers), at 160km/h which do you think will have more comfort going down, based on your statement that hp doesn't really matter at top speed...which is more aerodynamic? Idk...
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 8:19am On Jun 26, 2012
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 8:20am On Jun 26, 2012
Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by Ikenna351(m): 11:38am On Jun 26, 2012
Have a look at my BABY, the Peugeot 505 V6 5 speed Manual, THE KING OF LIONS!

See how aggressive it looks, compared to the Toyota Collora in front of it.

Picture was taken at office parking space.

Ikenna.

Re: What Is Really Wrong With a V6 Engine? by yungboss(m): 11:56am On Jun 26, 2012
Ikenna351: Have a look at my BABY, the Peugeot 505 V6 5 speed Manual, THE KING OF LIONS!

See how aggressive it looks, compared to the Toyota Collora in front of it.

Picture was taken at office parking space.

Ikenna.
ik i cant see the pic, i want to see ur ride

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

2019 Lexus ES Unveiled (photos, Details And Price) / The 10 Wonders Nigerian Khaz Custom Did On Cars With Wraps (pictures) / Snake Found Inside A Bus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.