Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? (8902 Views)

Theists Present The Evidence For Your Beliefs! / Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? / Are Your Feeling Hurt When Your Beliefs And Religion Are Criticised? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by 2good(m): 11:56am On May 04, 2012
logicboy:

Have you heard of pastor Zangief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeP6l3JDBrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLKP-gnHk_o

Nice one logic boy. Quite funny. I used to like that game with my life in the 90's. Also the 360 move is awesome
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 11:58am On May 04, 2012
2good:

Nice one logic boy. Quite funny. I used to like that game with my life in the 90's

me too but i was like 3 years old then. Still play the lates street fighter till today
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Syenite(m): 12:16pm On May 04, 2012
I am a Geologist by profession, been practising for over 7years part of which I majored in Micropaleontology which deals with study of ancient life and dating of rocks.So this topic is my Baby.There is a near 100% correlation between what the bible says and what Geology says.
Take for instance in Genesis Chapter 1 vs 1-2: the bible says in the Begining God created the heavens and the Earth. Now the Earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

Correlation of that part of scripture with Geology:Note that the book of Genesis was written by Moses.
1."In the begining God created the heavens and the Earth"-Moses the author did not know precisely when, he just said in the begining; Geologist also don't know exactly when the Earth was formed. The oldest rock discovered this far is about 4billion years old. The age of the Earth was estimated to be 4.5billion years + or - 0.2billion to accomodate for any other older rock yet to be discovered. Lesson is both the Geologist and Moses don't know the exact age of the earth

2."Now the Earth was formless and empty".Moses gave a very good discription of the earth here; According to the Geologist Shortly after the "big bang" that preceeded the formation of the earth, the earth was heated up and made of molten rocks which were fluid-like and u know fluids don't have a particular form, they take the form of the vessel they contain. Moses said "empty"; the geologist say lifeless.

3."darkness was over the surface of the deep" Moses could be discribing the "deep" as the various depressions, valleys, rifts etc. Darkness here means there was no sunlight. Geologically, the Earth is older than the Sun. Which means the Earth was existing in Darkness before God said let there be light.

4."and the spirit of God was hovering over the waters". The waters being discribed here could include the ancient seas and inland waters that existed prio to life.

5. Verse 3 of Genesis:1 says "let there be light and there was light light"-This corresponds to the formation the Sun that gives light and life to Earth.

6. Verse 6-9 of Genesis:1 describes how waters where separated from waters and waters separated from Land. Geologically this was when the atmosphere was formed separating the water in the atmosphere from that over the lithosphere i.e the hydrosphere. Water separating from land is Geologically desribed as Marine regression which is later usually followed by transgression- a cycle which is still in operation today!

7 Verse 11-12 of Genesis:1 describes creation of plants and Vegetation, Verse 20 describes the creation of the birds, Verse 21 God Created Sea creatures, verse 24 God created Land creatures. and finally verse 26 God said Let us make man. The Geologists should look at the Geological time scale following the evolution of life and events sequence from Paleozoic to Recent and see if it does not tally with the sequence as described from Genesis 11-26!

8 On the issue of timing of the total creation sequence which to me is the only major Difference, the bible says 1 day in the sight of God IS LIKE [/b]and not [b]IS 1,000 years in sight of Man. Author of that scripture was using that to describe how Magnificient God is. The Author does not know precisely the scale of convertion (and no living creature on earht today knows). He could easily had written 1 million yrs or 10million yrs and that would easily have been established today.

9 All the earth quakes, Tsunamis, Hurricanes, Volcanic Eruptions of today have been in existence for millions of years and were created by God and not Geologists!!

I believe in the Almghty God - the Maker of the Heavens and the Earth.
I rest my case for now. Any questions? Criticisms are welcomed.

NAPE-Our Ideas find Oil and Gas!

3 Likes

Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by wizecoder: 12:25pm On May 04, 2012
Syenite: I am a Geologist by professioning, been practising for over 7years part of which I majored in Micropaleontology which deals with study of ancient life and dating of rocks.So this topic is my Baby.There is a near 100% correlation between what the bible says and what Geology says.
Take for instance in Genesis Chapter 1 vs 1-2: the bible says in the Begining God created the heavens and the Earth. Now the Earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

Correlation of that part of scripture with Geology:Note that the book of Genesis was writen by Moses.
1."In the begining God created the heavens and the Earth"-Moses the author did not know precisely when, he just said in the begining; Geologist also don't know exactly when the Earth was formed. The oldest rock discovered this far is about 4billion years old. The age of the Earth was estimated to be 4.5billion years + or - 0.2billion to accomodate for any other older rock yet to be discovered. Lesson is both the Geologist and Moses don't know the exact age of the earth

2."Now the Earth was formless and empty".Moses gave a very good discription of the earth here; According to the Geologist Shortly after the "big bang" that preceeded the formation of the earth, the earth was heated up and made of molten rocks which were fluid-like and u know fluids don't have a particular form, they take the form of the vessel they contain. Moses said "empty"; the geologist say lifeless.

3."darkness was over the surface of the deep" Moses could be discribing the "deep" as the various depressions, valleys, rifts etc. Darkness here means there was no sunlight. Geologically, the Earth is older than the Sun. Which means the Earth was existing in Darkness before God said let there be light.

4."and the spirit of God was hovering over the waters". The waters being discribed here could include the ancient seas and inland waters that existed prio to life.

5. Verse 3 of Genesis:1 says "let there be light and there was light light"-This corresponds to the formation the Sun that gives light and life to Earth.

6. Verse 6-9 of Genesis:1 describes how waters where separated from waters and waters separated from Land. Geologically this was when the atmosphere was formed separating the water in the atmosphere from that over the lithosphere i.e the hydrosphere. Water separating from land is Geologically desribed as Marine regression which is later usually followed by transgression- a cycle which is still in operation today!

7 Verse 11-12 of Genesis:1 describes creation of plants and Vegetation, Verse 20 describes the creation of the birds, Verse 21 God Created Sea creatures, verse 24 God created Land creatures. and finally verse 26 God said Let us make man. The Geologists should look at the Geological time scale following the evolution of life and events sequence from Paleozoic to Recent and see if it does not tally with the sequence as described from Genesis 11-26!

8 On the issue of timing of the total creation sequence which to me is the only major Difference, the bible says 1 day in the sight of God IS LIKE [/b]and not [b]IS 1,000 years in sight of Man. Author of that scripture was using that to describe how Magnificient God is. The Author does not know precisely the scale of convertion (and no living creature on earht today knows). He could easily had written 1 million yrs or 10million yrs and that would easily have been established today.

9 All the earth quakes, Tsunamis, Hurricans, Volcanic Eruptions of today have been in existence for millions years and were created by God and not Geologists!!

Bro good one you are right on point.... the earth is too arranged to be an accident.... take a look at DNA..... bro that thing will blow your mind....
do you wana tell me black and white TV evolved to LCD...lol grin grin grin grin grin lets stop this folly ....
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by lilkech(m): 12:42pm On May 04, 2012
Alusi Okija:

Wetin concern this your story with this thread?!

Do you sell Tiger head battery as an occupation?!

yes, i import them in 40ft containers and thankfully religion is not a factor in my business

according to my post some people 'liken' themselves/lives to that of a disposable battery.

Do you?
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 12:44pm On May 04, 2012
Syenite: I am a Geologist by professioning, been practising for over 7years part of which I majored in Micropaleontology which deals with study of ancient life and dating of rocks.So this topic is my Baby.There is a near 100% correlation between what the bible says and what Geology says.

9 All the earth quakes, Tsunamis, Hurricans, Volcanic Eruptions of today have been in existence for millions years and were created by God and not Geologists!!

3) The Sun is older than the earth, scientifically

7) Evolution shows that man was not created. The bible claims that man was created. Man evolved from a common ancestor with monkeys.

9) You accept that God is a murderer of innocent people with Tsunamis and earthquakes in poor countries
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Callotti: 12:50pm On May 04, 2012
None whatsoever. ASHAWO is my profession! wink
We have professional and ethical codes we are bound by. There is room for all, with the same underlying principles of 'DO NO HARM'! cool
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Nobody: 12:50pm On May 04, 2012
No wonder a monkey has been trolling me.. common ancestor with monkey, and what was its ancestor.. who bleeped it?
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by mkmyers45(m): 12:51pm On May 04, 2012
Okija_juju: I am a Geological Engineer. . .

In the line of my studies, I got to understand the workings and intricacies of the Earth. from formation of land (due to vocanic activities), to the movement of the earths surface (Plate tectonics), to fossils (Paleontology), to carbon dating and other dating techniques and a shitload of things which I would usually attribute to GOD!!

I also got to understand that the geological earth is older than the biblical earth .

Well, I finally realized that we humans in our laziness to explore attribute everything in life that perplexes and confounds us to GOD! If we only took out the time to research and discover things indepthly, you would be amazed by the awesomeness of Nature.

Its good to have fellow geologists in the house cool
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by mkmyers45(m): 12:56pm On May 04, 2012
dadicvila: Granite for Life
Fellow Granite!
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by mkmyers45(m): 12:57pm On May 04, 2012
wizecoder: My take one religion is simple"EMANCIPATE YOURSELVES FROM MENTAL SLAVERY NO ONE BUT OUR SELVES CAN FREE OUR MIND FROM ARAB AND CAUCASIAN BAINWASHING"...lol i am a Geologist/ programmer.... although all fact still points to an intelligence design but nothing close to this jackshits peddled by these arabs and whiteeees...
look at it the earth is too arranged to be an accident.....
then what do you propose happened?
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by mkmyers45(m): 12:58pm On May 04, 2012
dadicvila: Its indeed quite difficult to mix religion with science and i wudnt want to argue to try to prove anything,everybody goto follow his/her heart,80% of what i learnt as a Geologist dosnt conform with the bible i was brought up reading and believing,i choose to stick to my religious beliefs,you can make your choice too because if we are not careful science can shake and destroy the very core of our foundations and religious beliefs
Science is the core of all things seen,heard and touched.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by mkmyers45(m): 1:00pm On May 04, 2012
ckkris: 2good.
The Bible established the fact that the earth is round, before scientistists started working on it.
The Bible described the solar system before any other authority.
The Bible described photosynthesis accurately. When you find out these, and much more, life will begin to make exciting meaning.
photo what? Where in the bible?
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by ckkris: 1:02pm On May 04, 2012
Logicboy.
Please prove how you evolved from monkey.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 1:13pm On May 04, 2012
ckkris: Logicboy.
Please prove how you evolved from monkey.

1) Monkeys and human beings have a common ancestors

2) Speciation is the evolutionary process by which new biological species arise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciation).

3) Humans and monkeys speciated apart from our common ancestors over four million years ago. Different species, same family

4) That is why monkeys or gorillas can not evolve into humans presently. Humans will give birth to more evolved humans and monkeys will give birth to more evolved monkeys.

5)The evidence for this is shown with human transitional fossils of the early humans. A transitional fossil is any fossilized remains of a life form that exhibits traits common to both an ancestral group and its derived descendant group (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transitional_fossil).

Human transitional fossils

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M96bkdohMZE
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Syenite(m): 1:17pm On May 04, 2012
logicboy:

7) Evolution shows that man was not created. The bible claims that man was created. Man evolved from a common ancestor with monkeys.

9) You accept that God is a murderer of innocent people with Tsunamis and earthquakes in poor countries

The Moon is believed to have formed about 4.6 billion years ago, with the rocks from mare regions sampled by the Apollo astronauts indicating a formation age for these features of about 4.1 billion years. The Earth is dated at 4.7 billion years ago by radioactive dating techniques. The Sun's formation probably continued through the era of planetary formation and ended when it became a T-Tauri star. Its accretion from the rotating core of the proto-solar disk probably began just before 4.7 billion years, and ended around 4.2 billion years.

http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q1895.html

The accretion that led to the formation of the Sun Started just before 4.7bilion yrs ago and ended around 4.2 billion years ago.Is that making sense to u my bro? Being that the sun started forming almost when the earth was created and it took 0.5billion yrs ie 500million for the sun to develop completely, it shows that for several millions of years the earth was in darkness waiting for the sun to be fully developed.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by ckkris: 1:19pm On May 04, 2012
mkmyers.
PHOTOSYNTHESIS. The action of SUNLIGHT on green chrolophil . . .If you on fit find am in the Bible,please join Sunday School.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by mkmyers45(m): 1:25pm On May 04, 2012
ckkris: mkmyers.
PHOTOSYNTHESIS. The action of SUNLIGHT on green chrolophil . . .If you on fit find am in the Bible,please join Sunday School.
Drop bible verses to ascert bible's pre-science definition of photosynthesis
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 1:27pm On May 04, 2012
Syenite:

The Moon is believed to have formed about 4.6 billion years ago, with the rocks from mare regions sampled by the Apollo astronauts indicating a formation age for these features of about 4.1 billion years. The Earth is dated at 4.7 billion years ago by radioactive dating techniques. The Sun's formation probably continued through the era of planetary formation and ended when it became a T-Tauri star. Its accretion from the rotating core of the proto-solar disk probably began just before 4.7 billion years, and ended around 4.2 billion years.

http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q1895.html

The accretion that led to the formation of the Sun Started just before 4.7bilion yrs ago and ended around 4.2 billion years ago.Is that making sense to u my bro? Being that the sun started forming almost when the earth was created and it took 0.5billion yrs ie 500million for the sun to develop completely, it shows that for several millions of years the earth was in darkness waiting for the sun to be fully developed.

beating around the bush!

The sun is older than the earth and your fellow scientist accept that. End of story. This makes Genesis wrong.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Syenite(m): 1:37pm On May 04, 2012
logicboy:

beating around the bush!

The sun is older than the earth and your fellow scientist accept that. End of story. This makes Genesis wrong.

My brother, the Earth was in darkness for several millions of years before sunlight came. Find out more. Argue like a scientist.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Syenite(m): 1:42pm On May 04, 2012
The fact that you don't believe in something doesn't make it wrong. The bible might not give specific details due to lack of scientific knowledge as at time of Moses but the truth remains that no single word in the bible is a lie!
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 1:44pm On May 04, 2012
Syenite:

My brother, the Earth was in darkness for several millions of years before sunlight came. Find out more. Argue like a scientist.

I dont know what you're talking about. But your fellow scientists say that the sun is older than the earth. End of story. Genesis fails- God did not create the earth before the sun
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Syenite(m): 2:02pm On May 04, 2012
Let's look at this one as scientists.Yes, the processes that started the formation of the sun started just shortly before the processes that led to the formation of the earth.Do you consider how long it took the processes of formation of the Sun to come to a completion? Do you think that immediately the process started the rays from the sun became so large and bright enough to illuminate the solar system? I am telling you that For several millions of years after the earth was created the sun was at a primitive (not well developed) state. Hence, the light or rays being generated was not adequate to reach the earth, considering the distance of the earth from the sun.So the earth was left in the dark until the sun's rays were bright enough to light up the whole place. Think about that. The bible does not lie.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 2:06pm On May 04, 2012
Syenite: Let's look at this one as scientists.Yes, the processes that started the formation of the sun started just shortly before the processes that led to the formation of the earth.Do you consider how long it took the processes of formation of the Sun to come to a completion? Do you think that immediately the process started the rays from the sun became so large and bright enough to illuminate the solar system? I am telling you that For several millions of years after the earth was created the sun was at a primitive (not well developed) state. Hence, the light or rays being generated was not adequate to reach the earth, considering the distance of the earth from the sun.So the earth was left in the dark until the sun's rays were bright enough to light up the whole place. Think about that. The bible does not lie.

lol....the sun got it's powerful rays of light to earth through a scientific process taking millions of years. Doesnt that contradict the instantaneous "let there be light and there was light"?
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by cowgurl: 2:14pm On May 04, 2012
mkmyers45: How much impact does what you do/study/studied had on your beliefs, I am a Geologist and it has made me study the earth,its origin,how did life come etc so its had quite an impact on my beliefs and it has helped think on a saner level. I'll like to hear the opinion of the house...
Unquantifiable impact, and I love it. If I were to do it all over again, 'l def pick Psychology.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by ckkris: 2:18pm On May 04, 2012
The RELIGION OF ATHEISM appeals only to the implacably wicked. When they sneak into church they start apartheid, segregation, homosexual marriage, and all abominable practices.. Still there is hope. WE WILL NOT GIVE UP ON THEM. JESUS IS LORD.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by amosy007: 2:21pm On May 04, 2012
cyrexx: I'm a rural sociologist and i work as an agricultural extension agent for some farmers in a very remote location where people suffer and die unnecessarily and they are very religious. The irony of it is that i was made to believe that those who didn't accept Christ (or didn't accept Islam, for the muslim religious ideology of God) among them will burn in Hell forever after all the suffering they went through on earth. I began to ask if that God is good and allpowerful why cant He put an end to human suffering or does He delight pleasure from observing human suffering both now on earth and later in hell. I had been raised a very religious person i never questioned religion about two years ago. I observed that people live in abject poverty and suffer unnecessarily and they prayed to God. It seems God favors some people especially the rich above others in answering prayers. Because some religious people will share testimony of God doing something whereas many others are neglected. My serious questionin came around two years ago following a personal tragedy after so many prayers to God to avert the tragedy. I began to think that "when i pray, am i talking to God or taking to myself". I'm not an atheist cos i still believe this world couldn't have created itself, hence there must be a Creator. But the idea of an Omnipotent and Loving God who sends people to burn for billions and billions of years in Hell for not believing in Jesus (or otherwise not accepting Islam, whichever the case) doesn't make sense to me. I'm still searching for answers anyway.

omg... Its like u interpreted my thought.... So many questions i badly needs answers to... Though i neva stop believing in God too buh have kinda gave up 70% on religion
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 2:24pm On May 04, 2012
ckkris: The RELIGION OF ATHEISM appeals only to the implacably wicked. When they sneak into church they start apartheid, segregation, homosexual marriage, and all abominable practices.. Still there is hope. WE WILL NOT GIVE UP ON THEM. JESUS IS LORD.

The lunacy of christians-

calling people wicked while discriminating against gays.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 2:28pm On May 04, 2012
ckkris: The RELIGION OF ATHEISM appeals only to the implacably wicked. When they sneak into church they start apartheid, segregation, homosexual marriage, and all abominable practices.. Still there is hope. WE WILL NOT GIVE UP ON THEM. JESUS IS LORD.

[img]http://1.bp..com/-umOZ-_2Cg6k/T6OdsHRvZOI/AAAAAAAAAD8/LOG4aCksvn4/s320/Oblivious%2BApologist.JPG[/img]
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by 2good(m): 2:30pm On May 04, 2012

Do you know that America that claim to be a Christian nation was built on enslavement of your kind for centuries while the slave traders brought religion with them? Try study the history of racism in the US specifically looking at deeply Christian southern states like Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and you will be ashamed of what deeply devoted members of the Christian faith did to black people and they justified their action then from the bible. The Mammon religion also refused to allow black to be members when it was founded by Brigham Young and they refereed to the blacks as a cursed race.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by amosy007: 2:58pm On May 04, 2012
logicboy:

logic boy leme ask a question....
If man revolve from monkey... How did monkey existed? Did monkey fell from heaven?

Why is it that after a monkey evoluted to a man why dnt we have other monkies evolve to human to prove science so right?

If man truely evolves.. Does that mean man can/will later evolve to giants or monsters?
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Syenite(m): 3:04pm On May 04, 2012
logicboy:

lol....the sun got it's powerful rays of light to earth through a scientific process taking millions of years. Doesnt that contradict the instantaneous "let there be light and there was light"?

Pardon me but I later discovered that u are not a scientist. To the bolded, just like God said let the water separate from waters and Land abi? and next thing rush rush rush (like a cartoon) u just see water flying up and down and water rushing away from land. These are scientific processes that took place and are still taking place over millions of years not as instantaneous as you think. God said let there be light and he allowed the scientific porcesses to follow its course.Besides the bible does not give graphic details of events. When the bible said in the begining God created the heavens and the Earth it did not state all the processes involved and how long ok? O gush! this thing u are argueing u know nothing of it.Common don't be blinded! I remind u again that the bible does not lie! Give your life to Christ and you will never regret u did. My brother Jesus loves you. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing / Prophetic Warfare Prayers For Destroying Witchcraft Spiritual Feedings / Mention Few Common Practices Between Islam And Christianity.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.