Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,855 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? (8901 Views)

Theists Present The Evidence For Your Beliefs! / Has The Religion Section Changed Your Beliefs? / Are Your Feeling Hurt When Your Beliefs And Religion Are Criticised? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by jedisco(m): 9:25am On May 04, 2012
Okija_juju:

So!!

Medicine has made you 'NOT' see juju nor the Devil as the cause of sicknesses and ailments but it has reaffirmed your faith in God. . Which means you believe that 'by his stripes, we are healed' and all that kind of stuff.

Simply put. .

You dont believe Satan can cause sicknesses and diseases but that Jesus can heal all sickness and diseases. . . Is their like a figure of speech hidden somewhere in that?!. . . . like an Oxymoron or sumtin?! undecided

Pls don't put words into my mouth. If you think Jesus can heal, then Satan should be able to cause- thats according to you.

Again I used the word MOST
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by AlusiOkija: 9:34am On May 04, 2012
jedisco: Medicine has really changed alot of my views about religion.
Among others, it has made me believe that women should be offered contraception and they should have a choice on whether or not to keep their babies.
It has made me see religion as a tool that if not properly utilized, can be used to put people in bondage.
It has made me not see the devil or juju as the cause of most diseases (esp mental diseases). It has made me see some churches, pastors and priests and just being there to milk naive people.

Most importantly, it has strengthened my belief in God. It has made me see God as the reason for my existence. It has given me the utmost reassurance within that God cares about me.
It has made me see medicine as not anti-religion but as a friend to religion

I simply infered. . .

So that means that you believe that the devil can cause sicknesses and diseases!! Hmmmm!! O.k then!!

I stand corrected. . . No qulams.

Just let me know where your clinic/hospital/chemist is located so I will avoid it whenever I'm ill. . . grin

Before you prescribe olive oil to cure appendicites. grin
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Afolabs101: 9:42am On May 04, 2012
@okija_juju, there's no need to attack/insult people because of their views. When it come's to religion, let each say his/her belief.

"FAITH IS BELIEVING IN SOMETHING YOU KNOW CAN'T BE SO" - Huckleberry Finn. So for those of us who believe in and have faith in God, it doesn't matter what science proves or disproves, we stand by our faith. However I welcome the discussion as an open-minded person, everyone is free to have their opinion cool
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by AlusiOkija: 9:48am On May 04, 2012
Afolabs101: @okija_juju, there's no need to attack/insult people because of their views. When it come's to religion, let each say his/her belief.

"FAITH IS BELIEVING IN SOMETHING YOU KNOW CAN'T BE SO" - Huckleberry Finn. So for those of us who believe in and have faith in God, it doesn't matter what science proves or disproves, we stand by our faith. However I welcome the discussion as an open-minded person, everyone is free to have their opinion cool

Dude!!

Their is no insult or fight going on between us. . .

I am only pointing out the flaws in his statement thats all. It dosent matter if he is christian or not. . . I just want his post to make sense to me. I havent insulted him in anyway.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by ckkris: 9:50am On May 04, 2012
Beblessed.
As Genesis 10:25 explained how the horn of Africa fits into Arabia, and how the Americas fit into West Africa, I thank The God Who created all these, and empowered Moses with the scientific genius and insight to record them. Alusi Okija no go fit confuse me.
JESUS IS LORD.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by dadicvila(m): 9:56am On May 04, 2012
mkmyers45: How much impact does what you do/study/studied had on your beliefs, I am a Geologist and it has made me study the earth,its origin,how did life come etc so its had quite an impact on my beliefs and it has helped think on a saner level. I'll like to hear the opinion of the house...
Granite for Life
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by Afolabs101: 9:57am On May 04, 2012
Alusi Okija:

Dude!!

Their is no insult or fight going on between us. . .

I am only pointing out the flaws in his statement thats all. It dosent matter if he is christian or not. . . I just want his post to make sense to me. I havent insulted him in anyway.

Ok, that's fair enough then wink
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by AlusiOkija: 10:03am On May 04, 2012
ckkris: Beblessed.
As Genesis 10:25 explained how the horn of Africa fits into Arabia, and how the Americas fit into West Africa, I thank The God Who created all these, and empowered Moses with the scientific genius and insight to record them. Alusi Okija no go fit confuse me.
JESUS IS LORD.

You are already confused. . . If Alusi Okija put hand, na crase be dat!! Nna free me and talk your own jor!! cool

Moses the scientist wey first invent 'snake walking stick' and the only scientist to carry out 'sea-floor exploration'. . . Jonah the first man to explore the inner working of the digestive system of a whale, Elijah, the first man to disprove the theory that Iron/metal and its bouyancy in water, Elijah the first man to defy the laws of gravity by flying without a jet pack into the sky, Mary the first female scientist to invent 'ASEXUAL REPRODUCTION' in humans, Daniel the first man to carry out a National Geographic experiment on the feeding habits of Lions, Shedrach, Meshack and Abednego, the first three scientist to invent flame retardent human skin. . . . Like seriously my niggar!! Wassup nu?!

1 Like

Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by lilkech(m): 10:17am On May 04, 2012
how can a sane human being liken him/herself to t'iger head finger battery' ?

as in ehn, what do you think will happen to this life you are living now (your ups and downs, loves and hates, good and evil, wars and peace, friends and enemies, family and all other strangers e.t.c) once you die ?

is it that you just go blank ? enter into a state of nothingness ? as in at that time you take your last breath do you think that you just go 'OFF' ?

as much as all i stated above seem true according to our common sense, physical earthly science and nature I STILL CHOOSE TO DIFFER because i was born with with the elements of HOPE, FAITH and an UNCOMMON sense wink.

something has to happen to this life you and me are currently living after we die

please if you do/do not believe in God and wish to convert someone, go to the person or get the person to come to you and then make your business clear to them. do not do so here as your seriousness wont be seen

if you claim you are an atheist but in reality you are not . . . i pray God forgives this 'life' you are living now

bone say dis na internet, dat baba wey dey the SUPERNATURAL world dey look u

1 Like

Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by AlusiOkija: 10:24am On May 04, 2012
lilkech: how can a sane human being liken him/herself to t'iger head finger battery' ?

as in ehn, what do you think will happen to this life you are living now (your ups and downs, loves and hates, good and evil, wars and peace, friends and enemies, family and all other strangers e.t.c) once you die ?

is it that you just go blank ? enter into a state of nothingness ? as in at that time you take your last breath do you think that you just go 'OFF' ?

as much as all i stated above seem true according to our common sense, physical earthly science and nature I STILL CHOOSE TO DIFFER because i was born with with the elements of HOPE, FAITH and an UNCOMMON sense wink.

something has to happen to this life you and me are currently living after we die

please if you do/do not believe in God and wish to convert someone, go to the person or get the person to come to you and then make your business clear to them. do not do so here as your seriousness wont be seen

if you claim you are an atheist but in reality you are not . . . i pray God forgives this 'life' you are living now

Wetin concern this your story with this thread?!

Do you sell Tiger head battery as an occupation?!
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 10:25am On May 04, 2012
lilkech: how can a sane human being liken him/herself to t'iger head finger battery' ?

Nobody knows what we face when we die and to claim that we live after we die is rubbish.

There is no rule stopping anyone from converting someone here on the internet or on nairaland.

You were not born with faith. You were born an atheist. As a baby, you knew nothing about God. Someone told you about god when you were growing up

1 Like

Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by jadedmocha(f): 10:33am On May 04, 2012
The earth as we know it was created some 6000 years ago, do not forget that the in the account of creation as recorded in the bible, God has been existing for aeons and at some point he proceeded to divide the waters into two separating the water into two different mass. The waters above condensed to form the sky and the waters on the surface were further separated to form lakes, oceans and dry land. This is what is known as earth today. So the very substance from which earth was made from as actually been existing for aeons, for how long I do not know. The very uniqueness, complexities, design and amazing functionality and aesthetics of nature points to the existence of a supreme being who designed all, Jehovah is his name.
2good:
4.2billion years to human=4,200,000,000

a thousand years=1000

God human ratio, 1:1000

Meaning 4.2billion in the sight of god is 4,200,000,000/1000=4,200,000 years.

That is 4.2 million years which contradicts the bible's 6,000 years.

Your conversion of geological years of earth to its equivalent in the sight of god is not rational and too vague.

1 Like

Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by 2good(m): 10:34am On May 04, 2012

Where was our soul and spirit before we were born? If you cannot answer that question, then it means you should also not have an authoritative answer over what happens when we die. Its a complex discussion that even science cannot explain just like religion cannot. Religionist only assumes they know based on indoctrination and superstitious believes that have existed for thousands of years with no logical proof except quoting of verses from holy books.

1 Like

Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by jedisco(m): 10:34am On May 04, 2012
Alusi Okija:

I simply infered. . .

So that means that you believe that the devil can cause sicknesses and diseases!! Hmmmm!! O.k then!!

Just let me know where your clinic/hospital/chemist is located so I will avoid it whenever I'm ill. . . grin

The problem with you is that you easily jump to hasty not-so-well thought out conclusions. I'm sure thats why you were banned.
Well what I was trying to say is that I don't buy the idea that diseases are caused by the devil or some fetish stuff. I don't believe in blaming everything on the devil rather I believe in well thought out and proven disease processes.
But there are somethings I may never understand and since I believe that God exists, then common sense tells me that the devil also exists. Afterall light only has meaning cos we have experienced darkness.
Also if God can do some things, then the devil can also do stuff. But we as humans remain the ultimate beings on earth and we affect every activity.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by jedisco(m): 10:36am On May 04, 2012
Alusi Okija:

I simply infered. . .

The problem with you is that you easily jump to hasty not-so-well thought out conclusions. I'm sure thats why you were banned.
Well what I was trying to say is that I don't buy the idea that diseases are caused by the devil or some fetish stuff. I don't believe in blaming everything on the devil rather I believe in well thought out and proven disease processes.
But there are somethings I may never understand and since I believe that God exists, then common sense tells me that the devil also exists. Afterall light only has meaning cos we have experienced darkness.
Also if God can do some things, then the devil can also do stuff.
But we as humans remain the ultimate beings on earth and we affect every activity. So even if some are caused by the devil, they can be treated by man.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by wizecoder: 10:38am On May 04, 2012
My take one religion is simple"EMANCIPATE YOURSELVES FROM MENTAL SLAVERY NO ONE BUT OUR SELVES CAN FREE OUR MIND FROM ARAB AND CAUCASIAN BAINWASHING"...lol i am a Geologist/ programmer.... although all fact still points to an intelligence design but nothing close to this jackshits peddled by these arabs and whiteeees...
look at it the earth is too arranged to be an accident.....
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by 2good(m): 10:39am On May 04, 2012
jadedmocha: The earth as we know it was created some 6000 years ago, do not forget that the in the account of creation as recorded in the bible, God has been existing for aeons and at some point he proceeded to divide the waters into two separating the water into two different mass. The waters above condensed to form the sky and the waters on the surface were further separated to form lakes, oceans and dry land. This is what is known as earth today. So the very substance from which earth was made from as actually been existing for aeons, for how long I do not know. The very uniqueness, complexities, design and amazing functionality and aesthetics of nature points to the existence of a supreme being who designed all, Jehovah is his name.

Simply put, you have no answer to that question, so don't quote it as a proof for your believes. Its better you don't go into the discussion because your answer is as vague as the earlier poster's. You have no iota of proof to back up all what you said above.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by freecocoa(f): 10:48am On May 04, 2012
Alusi Okija:

I simply infered. . .

Onye ara, biko ike mu ji achi ochi adiro'm cheesy grin cheesy
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by mygsmnairacom(m): 10:48am On May 04, 2012
I agree with the poster who said - "A job is just a job". It should not affect your religious beliefs; it should rather put food on your table.

https://www.nairaland.com/923056/smart-ways-reduce-extended-family
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by cyrexx: 10:50am On May 04, 2012
I'm a rural sociologist and i work as an agricultural extension agent for some farmers in a very remote location where people suffer and die unnecessarily and they are very religious. The irony of it is that i was made to believe that those who didn't accept Christ (or didn't accept Islam, for the muslim religious ideology of God) among them will burn in Hell forever after all the suffering they went through on earth. I began to ask if that God is good and allpowerful why cant He put an end to human suffering or does He delight pleasure from observing human suffering both now on earth and later in hell. I had been raised a very religious person i never questioned religion about two years ago. I observed that people live in abject poverty and suffer unnecessarily and they prayed to God. It seems God favors some people especially the rich above others in answering prayers. Because some religious people will share testimony of God doing something whereas many others are neglected. My serious questionin came around two years ago following a personal tragedy after so many prayers to God to avert the tragedy. I began to think that "when i pray, am i talking to God or taking to myself". I'm not an atheist cos i still believe this world couldn't have created itself, hence there must be a Creator. But the idea of an Omnipotent and Loving God who sends people to burn for billions and billions of years in Hell for not believing in Jesus (or otherwise not accepting Islam, whichever the case) doesn't make sense to me. I'm still searching for answers anyway.

3 Likes

Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by ckkris: 10:52am On May 04, 2012
2good.
The Bible established the fact that the earth is round, before scientistists started working on it.
The Bible described the solar system before any other authority.
The Bible described photosynthesis accurately. When you find out these, and much more, life will begin to make exciting meaning.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by freecocoa(f): 10:53am On May 04, 2012
Alusi Okija:

Wetin concern this your story with this thread?!

Do you sell Tiger head battery as an occupation?!
Chei una no go fit kill me here grin grin grin
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by dadicvila(m): 10:53am On May 04, 2012
Its indeed quite difficult to mix religion with science and i wudnt want to argue to try to prove anything,everybody goto follow his/her heart,80% of what i learnt as a Geologist dosnt conform with the bible i was brought up reading and believing,i choose to stick to my religious beliefs,you can make your choice too because if we are not careful science can shake and destroy the very core of our foundations and religious beliefs
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by 2good(m): 11:08am On May 04, 2012
ckkris: 2good.
The Bible established the fact that the earth is round, before scientistists started working on it.

Is it not thesame bible that the early church used in improsoning one of the early father of astronomy Galileo Galilei where he died for saying that the earth is round?

The Bible described the solar system before any other authority.

Where in the bible were other planet described or where was it stated that the earth revolves and rotate round the sun? Was it not Joshua that told the Sun to stand still?

The Bible described photosynthesis accurately. When you find out these, and much more, life will begin to make exciting meaning.

Where in the bible was it described that 6CO2+6H2O+chlorophyll=C6C12O6 +6H2O

Also all the point you pointed are basics of science. Science have advanced way more than you can imagine
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by wizecoder: 11:11am On May 04, 2012
dadicvila: Its indeed quite difficult to mix religion with science and i wudnt want to argue to try to prove anything,everybody goto follow his/her heart,80% of what i learnt as a Geologist dosnt conform with the bible i was brought up reading and believing,i choose to stick to my religious beliefs,you can make your choice too because if we are not careful science can shake and destroy the very core of our foundations and religious beliefs

Hey rookyfela ...lol.... yes the earth is 6000 yrs right...what hapened to Precambrian....?lol...get serious....the bible....hunmmmm i ma best book.... but do not take the genesis account directly.....
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by ckkris: 11:20am On May 04, 2012
2good.
When satanic atheists join church, and always insist on being church leaders, they would neither read nor understand truth. Old Testament established eternal facts, among them, that the earth is round.
2good, if you no fit see solar system in the Bible, please look again.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 11:23am On May 04, 2012
When satanic atheists join church, and always insist on being church leaders, they would neither read nor understand truth. Old Testament established eternal facts, among them, that the earth is round.
2good, if you no fit see solar system in the Bible, please look again.

What is a satanic atheist?

You make no sense
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by ckkris: 11:29am On May 04, 2012
Logicboy.
Deduce that, please. You definitely know a lot of stuff.
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 11:33am On May 04, 2012
ckkris: Logicboy.
Deduce that, please. You definitely know a lot of stuff.

1) Fail 1- Satanic atheist is an oxymoron

2) Fail 2- The old testament did not establish any eternal facts. Man was not created and dinosaurs did not fit into the ark and people can not live for 900 years
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by zangiff(m): 11:39am On May 04, 2012
a friend of mine works in an hotel and sees a lot from these rich men have lots of sex and still be the one to clean up,as a christian he sees this a bad and he stops the job
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by 2good(m): 11:49am On May 04, 2012
zangiff: a friend of mine works in an hotel and sees a lot from these rich men have lots of sex and still be the one to clean up,as a christian he sees this a bad and he stops the job

Its a matter of choice. A friend told me his father refused to accept a job with Nigerian breweries in the 80's because he is a Christian while his fellow close Christian friend accepted the job. Today, the father regretted his action because things are hard for him, while his father's friend rose along the ranks of the company and have worked as expatriate in different part of the world and currently a top shot in the company. Whatever you do in life, just be ready to bear the consequence of your action.

Also your name reminds me of Street Fighter cheesy
Re: How Much Impact Does Your Occupation Have On Your Beliefs? by logicboy: 11:52am On May 04, 2012
2good:

Its a matter of choice. A friend told me his father refused to accept a job with Nigerian breweries in the 80's because he is a Christian while his fellow close Christian friend accepted the job. Today, the father regretted his action because things are hard for him, while his father's friend rose along the ranks of the company and have worked as expatriate in different part of the world and currently a top shot in the company. Whatever you do in life, just be ready to bear the consequence of your action.

Also your name reminds me of Street Fighter cheesy

Have you heard of pastor Zangief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeP6l3JDBrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLKP-gnHk_o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Everyone Pray For Sonofluc1fer Who's On NAIRALAND, He Is POSSESSED.. / My Whatsapp Chat With A New Young Pastor In My Church As Regard Tithing / Prophetic Warfare Prayers For Destroying Witchcraft Spiritual Feedings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.