Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,589 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 (5338 Views)

PSC Bars Policemen From Carrying Vips’ Handbags, Umbrellas / Withdrawal Of Officers From Vips: Police Deploy Men To Airports, Highways To... / List Of Nigeria's Current State Governors In 2011-2015 Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by wellmax(m): 6:19am On May 04, 2012
Nigerians, notably public office holders and businessmen spent about N29.7bn on chartered flights in 2011, investigation by our correspondent has revealed. 

Statistics obtained from the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria and Nigerian Airspace Management Agency, showed that the nation’s airports handled an average of 50 chartered flights per day in 2011.

The Director-General, NCAA, Dr. Harold Demuren, in a paper presented two weeks ago, confirmed that the nation’s airports handled 50 chartered flights daily last year.

Some chartered flight operators, who spoke to our correspondent in Lagos on Thursday, said politicians, state governors and other clients paid an average of $7,000 per hour for each flight.

Chartered airline operators at the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos, said each of the chartered flights took an average of one and a half hours; hence, the operators generated about $10,500 in revenue from each flight.

From the foregoing, it means the eminent Nigerians who patronised the services of the operators must have spent about $525,000 (N81.38m) on chartered flights each day last year at $10,500 multiplied by 50 flights.

Consequently, the Very Important Persons must have spent about $191.625m (N29.7bn) on chartered flights in 2011 at $525,000 multiplied by 365 days.

The chartered aircraft operators are Kings Airlines, Top Brazz Aviation, Wings Aviation, Associated Airlines, Overland Airways, Arik Air, Vistajet and Aero Contractors.

According to industry analysts, chartered airline operators are currently engaged in an intense competition over the VIP market in the country, which they said had been rated as one of the fastest growing in the world.

Different VIPs from the corporate world and government circles usually throng airport terminals daily to patronise the services of the chartered airline operators.

Nigeria’s aviation market is regarded as one of the most robust in the world, bringing huge revenue and profit to foreign airlines.

Passengers who used Nigerian airports in 2011 spent a total of $1.5bn (about N225bn) on the purchase of tickets, the Minister of Aviation, Stella Oduah, had recently said.

Oduah, in a keynote address she delivered at an interactive forum with aviation stakeholders in Abuja a fortnight ago, also said that 90 per cent of the total revenue from the airports came from the Lagos and Abuja airports.

The minister said 14.6 million passengers used the airports scattered across the country within the year, while 122,700 tonnes of cargoes were moved by air within the one-year period.

According to the minister, the nation’s airports handled 50 chartered flights and 300 scheduled flights per day during the period under review.

The aviation sector, she said, employed a total of 60,000 workers in 2011, including 1,835 cabin crew, 934 pilots, 325 air traffic controllers, 865 aircraft maintenance engineers and 250 meteorology personnel.

Source :http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/vips-spent-n29-7bn-on-chartered-flights-in-2011/
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by wellmax(m): 6:20am On May 04, 2012
Good radiance... Who's paying for these flights?
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by amosy007: 5:08pm On May 04, 2012
PDP power to the fo0lish
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by 1025: 5:26pm On May 04, 2012
jonathan's govt is the worst govt nigeria has even seen. i am happy okonjo iweala did not make it to the world bank position otherwise, the whole world would have ended up been like nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by Nedu31(m): 5:40pm On May 04, 2012
my mouth wide open!

Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by edicolove: 5:49pm On May 04, 2012
1025: jonathan's govt is the worst govt nigeria has even seen. i am happy okonjo iweala did not make it to the world bank position otherwise, the whole world would have ended up been like nigeria.

First of all, the report did not say GEJ. It said VIPs in Nigeria including private sector and state governors. You either cannot read or are plain stup1d. Secondly, Okonjo Iweala came from the world bank where she has worked for years and the whole world did not crumble. Though our goverment is doing poorly, some of you make the arguments and criticisms against the government look silly and childish. Please go back to school!

8 Likes

Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by aspabay(m): 5:49pm On May 04, 2012
Whoa! this is a transformational government. We now talk in billion naira, hehehehe.
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by aspabay(m): 5:51pm On May 04, 2012
edicolove:

First of all, the report did not say GEJ. It said VIPs in Nigeria including private sector and state governors. You either cannot read or are plain stup1d. Secondly, Okonjo Iweala came from the world bank where she has worked for years and the whole world did not crumble. Though our goverment is doing poorly, some of you make the arguments and criticisms against the government look silly and childish. Please go back to school!

Nice argument though, but you don't have to use foul languages, be modest.
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by CyberG: 5:58pm On May 04, 2012
Fresh Air!
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by edicolove: 6:06pm On May 04, 2012
aspabay:

Nice argument though, but you don't have to use foul languages, be modest.

Ok, noted. Thanks
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by aljharem(m): 6:11pm On May 04, 2012
edicolove:

Errmmmm I am sorry but I have to say you are either ignorant or a lair.

Iweala position in the World bank is totally different from her position in Nigeria.

Please do you mind telling us the decisions Iweala made that have change the economics of the world ?

What was her position at the world bank
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by Funkymallam(m): 6:16pm On May 04, 2012
1025: jonathan's govt is the worst govt nigeria has even seen. i am happy okonjo iweala did not make it to the world bank position otherwise, the whole world would have ended up been like nigeria.

What have GEJ and NOI got to do with this? Smh
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by EPOMA(m): 6:17pm On May 04, 2012
It is true , when people like Godswill Akpabio hires those planes for 2 week on the go with him and people will tell me he is a good governor.wasting money sha
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by aljharem(m): 6:29pm On May 04, 2012
The way people mis-join lies and propaganda on this site one would wonder !

Edicolove come here and explain how the job description of Iweala is similar to that she had at the world bank !
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by Omexonomy: 6:37pm On May 04, 2012
did u read the post was it said gej or iweala paid for the fare. How did u pass englisg language in ur ssce i pity nigeria schools.
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by manny4life(m): 6:43pm On May 04, 2012
alj harem:

Errmmmm I am sorry but I have to say you are either ignorant or a lair.

Iweala position in the World bank is totally different from her position in Nigeria.

Please do you mind telling us the decisions Iweala made that have change the economics of the world ?

What was her position at the world bank

At times, I wonder what your hate for this woman is. What has this woman done to you? What he argued is totally different from what you're arguing. NOI made recommendation affecting her unit, and with regards to region she oversaw, the final decisions came from the Board of the WBG which includes the President.
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by Funkymallam(m): 7:07pm On May 04, 2012
alj harem: The way people mis-join lies and propaganda on this site one would wonder !

Edicolove come here and explain how the job description of Iweala is similar to that she had at the world bank !

And why cant u face the topic? Must u derail threads?

Wonder why that name gives u a hard on. Smh
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by mygsmnairacom(m): 7:37pm On May 04, 2012
I think the government should make it compulsory for it's officials to patronize Nigerian airlines when chartering flights. This would help create more local jobs.

https://www.nairaland.com/923056/smart-ways-reduce-extended-family
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by otokx(m): 7:43pm On May 04, 2012
This is big business
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by aljharem(m): 10:34pm On May 04, 2012
manny4life:

At times, I wonder what your hate for this woman is. What has this woman done to you? What he argued is totally different from what you're arguing. NOI made recommendation affecting her unit, and with regards to region she oversaw, the final decisions came from the Board of the WBG which includes the President.

I do not hate the woman but edicolove and his goons lie tooo much. He needs to stop misinforming others
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by aljharem(m): 10:34pm On May 04, 2012
Funkymallam:

And why cant u face the topic? Must u derail threads?

Wonder why that name gives u a hard on. Smh

How did I derail the topic ? Are you also supporting him lying all the in the name of "I support GEJ" ?
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by Godogwu: 1:06am On May 05, 2012
It's sorta funny because if these VIP's were given their own private jets or airlines ignorant Nigerians will still say rubbish, did you expect these people to fly commercially ? ( stand in lines and wait for a ticket, boarding pass and all that) . Some Nigerians waste too much time trying to blame the government for all their self made problems. And as for some person who was saying some blatant rubbish about ngozi making every country like Nigeria, if you mean making us one of the best and fastest growing world Economies, then yes!, that woman is highly educated and got that nomination based on her qualification and obviously your opinion is not a factor. smiley
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by uncleb(m): 11:30am On May 05, 2012
I reserve my comment on this topic.

But to rate Nigerian economy among the world fastest growing; hm very ludiCrous and unbelievable.

With over 70% unemployment rate to be modest.

Total black out and average of 3 hours a day power supply across the nation.

Dilapidated and deplorable road network.

A consumer oriented economy, importing almost everything including tooth pick and pencil.

And plundered national reserves courtsey of corrupt public officers. Haba, who is fooling who?

Hmmm, truly the fastest growing
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by dmainboss: 11:56am On May 05, 2012
alj harem:

I do not hate the woman but edicolove and his goons lie tooo much. He needs to stop misinforming others

Even a blind man can see your blind hatred here. You can at least try not to make it so glaring
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by Bamisko(m): 12:17pm On May 05, 2012
Yea
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by aljharem(m): 12:49pm On May 05, 2012
dmainboss:

Even a blind man can see your blind hatred here. You can at least try not to make it so glaring

Abeg go sleep, I do not hate Iweala so stop forcing hate on me ok !
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by edicolove: 1:22pm On May 05, 2012
alj harem:

You have just exposed yourself as either someone who do not read posts before commenting or a semi-illiterate who did not pass comprehension in his WAEC English language exam.

My post was a response to someone who accused Iweala and GEJ as responsible for the @op's post and he said

"i am happy okonjo iweala did not make it to the world bank position otherwise, the whole world would have ended up been like nigeria."

Then I reminded him Iweala had worked there before and the world did not crumble. So what was your point about? And where did I misinform anyone there? And which part of my statement is a lie? You dont sound intelligent at all. You sound like an Agbero!
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by Godogwu: 3:00am On May 06, 2012
@Uncle, I in some way understand your argument, but i would say your points are totally baseless and not facts. You are probably not very up to date on news concerning Nigeria, although i cannot remember the exact URL as to where i read about Nigeria's economy as the 3rd fastest growing economy in the world but i would refer you to the vanguard newspaper. As for the roads, electricity and other things you talked about....these things can be seen in every country of the world!. The US or UK doesn't have interlocked and tarred roads throughout the entire country also no all Nigerian roads are not bad, a majority of them are good. People should understand that the whole Nigeria can't look like Dubai under one person's government.
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by Souljaboi1: 11:29am On Nov 07, 2012
wellmax:

The aviation sector, she said, employed a total of 60,000 workers in 2011, including 1,835 cabin crew, 934 pilots, 325 air traffic controllers, 865 aircraft maintenance engineers and 250 meteorology personnel.

Source :http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/vips-spent-n29-7bn-on-chartered-flights-in-2011/

The bold numbers equal 4209, as against the 60,000 stated. I wonder what the job description of the remaining 55791 would be ! Maybe cleaners or janitors.

Nigeria ! Someday you would be great...
Re: Vips Spent N29.7bn On Chartered Flights In 2011 by banki(m): 4:33pm On Nov 07, 2012
there was a report that Nigeria and China are the only countries in the world to have a boom in the purchase of private jets! since 2007

I can understand the number increasing in china as it is obvious that china has taken over the world in almost every sphere of life, construction aviation manufatiuring etc so the business men in china should also increase thier taste for luxury its understandable.

The opposite is the case in Nigeria most of the private jets and the chartered flights are owned by politicians, and pastors the business men among then cannot boast of concrete legitimate business, they are fraudsters and oil thieves,so i agree with the poster that brought the GEJ angle to this discussion, this GOVERNMENT STINKS of incopetence and corruption and who has been in control of nIgeria since 2007? THE LAST TIME I CHECKED it was PDP under Yaradua/GEJ 2007-2009 and guess who from 2009 till date

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Know That Oyo State Or Former Ondo Or Kwara Are Bigger Than Igboland / Unorthodox: The World Laugh As Buhari Cut Down Trees In Abuja (PIX) / Breaking!!! Biafra Protest At Bruxelles European Parliament; Happening Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.