Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

[Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED - Programming (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED (23551 Views)

Poll: Vote for your choice for Summer 2012

Government Budget Monitoring System: 32% (21 votes)
Fund Raising app to aid Charities/individuals in raising needed funds: 14% (9 votes)
Encyclopaedia of Nigerian goods: 7% (5 votes)
Browser to promote Nigeria: 18% (12 votes)
App to predict power failure: 26% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Poll: We have a tie, please pick your favourite and most feasible

Government budget monitoring/Performance Application: 60% (6 votes)
Application to predict power failure or give real-time updates on when NEPA plans to cut-off ur power supply: 40% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Install The Right Version Of Code::blocks / Build A Mobile App Without Knowing Any Programming Language or line of code. / Function Points (FP) Vs Lines Of Code (LOC) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by filanto(m): 12:13pm On Aug 18, 2012
VC (VOICE/COMMAND) WORD PROCESSOR
A word processor that response to predefine command keys. All functions (like bold, align, margin, save as, print etc) are carry out thru key combinations. The system interacts with the user using voice\sound while the user response by pressing a combination of keys. The software will track and re echo all user's action while being the active window. It reads each word as it's type once space key is pressed or can be configure to reads per line.
You'll be able to start the program on two modes;

1. Reading mode
2 Editing mode

Reading mode will open window 's open dialog box and read all the folder or files with .doc extension in it as well as assign unique key values to each file or folder in sequence order for easy retrieval.
INTEREST:
Text To Voice
Voice To Text
Voice simulator Engine
ASCII keyboard code tracing.
This software will be usefull for every one ESPECIALLY the vision disabled ones.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by filanto(m): 1:26pm On Aug 18, 2012
xterra2: I wanted to also do this but in a much better way using you guys data but I'll chill on that first

@Azed I've changed my mind,I'll do the front end in aspx when you guys have all the data ready okay ?

We can work together. Am really interested, it's an opportunity to work as a team. But i speak VB.NET and ASP.NET fluently but can only read and translat C#.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 7:55pm On Aug 25, 2012
I've not been able to get us hosting but hopefully i should do it before the end of the month.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by delomos(m): 7:44pm On Aug 27, 2012
Not sure, but seems that the problem has being solved here: http://www.yourbudgit.com/

1 Like

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Danyl(m): 9:51am On Aug 31, 2012
How about an e-voting system for INEC that could presented to d government.... For d upcoming elections, though this must av biometric capabilities,facial recognition,human skull recognition...
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 10:58pm On Sep 04, 2012
How far?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by cripnip(m): 9:51pm On Sep 06, 2012
A-ZeD:
I've not been able to get us hosting but hopefully i should do it before the end of the month.

Someone told me about winhost. Haven't used them though. Must it be windows based hosting? LAMP is way cheaper like N2500 for a 1yr standard
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by ektbear: 10:25pm On Sep 06, 2012
So, what did you guys accomplish this summer?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by delomos(m): 8:45pm On Sep 07, 2012
@ekt_bear: I strangely had the same question on my mind
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by cripnip(m): 10:23pm On Sep 07, 2012
ekt_bear: So, what did you guys accomplish this summer?

Budget PDF's to Excel
GitHub Repo
Etc
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Pheeque(m): 8:03pm On Sep 17, 2012
Wow! Eight pages of ideas and arguments and not a single application?!

But seriously, I wish I'd come across this thread earlier. Predicting power outage? Come on! Systems like that are built into the power plants themselves. If the government and it's contractors can't fix that, what makes you think a group of resourceless geeks will. weather prediction apps are only possible because the data gatherers who own the hardwares release a public API. Advocating such a release in Nigeria, well, is like us going to the moon. We can argue that it's possible but, ehn...

It's not like we dont have great programmers in Nigeria and therefore can't make our lives easier by building a usable epayment system. It's just that our government dosent like progress. Heck, have you seen the regulations requirements for building such platform?! it's like the government saying, we want to look like we want local companies to rise, but honestly, we dont. smiley couple that with the fact that we all want to be the next Mark Zuckerberg - male and female alike.

By the way, can nairaland webmasters fix this reply box for tablet typing?! Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 10:59pm On Sep 17, 2012
Pheeque: Wow! Eight pages of ideas and arguments and not a single application?!

But seriously, I wish I'd come across this thread earlier. Predicting power outage? Come on! Systems like that are built into the power plants themselves. If the government and it's contractors can't fix that, what makes you think a group of resourceless geeks will. weather prediction apps are only possible because the data gatherers who own the hardwares release a public API. Advocating such a release in Nigeria, well, is like us going to the moon. We can argue that it's possible but, ehn...

It's not like we dont have great programmers in Nigeria and therefore can't make our lives easier by building a usable epayment system. It's just that our government dosent like progress. Heck, have you seen the regulations requirements for building such platform?! it's like the government saying, we want to look like we want local companies to rise, but honestly, we dont. smiley couple that with the fact that we all want to be the next Mark Zuckerberg - male and female alike.

By the way, can nairaland webmasters fix this reply box for tablet typing?! Thanks.
the owner of the thread kinda messsed up
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by doctorfox: 3:09pm On Sep 19, 2012
Most of the work on this has been done here www.iwatchlive.org and yourbudgit.com
Probably we can join hands on these.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 6:31pm On Sep 20, 2012
lordZOUGA:
Well yes and no....
Yes cos i've not been communicating and directing things as i should have.
No cos there are certain issues i have to deal with in my private life. Still working on it though....

I uploaded kobo's code to the github page long ago.
doctorfox: Most of the work on this has been done here www.iwatchlive.org and yourbudgit.com
Probably we can join hands on these.
If the owners would let us, no problem.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 10:30pm On Nov 07, 2012
lordZOUGA:

How did I mess up? By suggesting that people contribute individually to the success of a project?

@Azed, are we to assume at this point that you are not up to the task? Please let me know so I know what steps to take next. Thanks.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by cripnip(m): 3:45pm On Jan 18, 2013
If a full budget app/site is too much of a goal (or budgit or others already do it too well),
you could just turn the existing excel files into csvs and put it up at CSV49 (github.com/olibenu/csv49).

CSV49 forgives you for wasting productive human hours reinventing the wheel provided you prevent the next developer from doing the same.

The data:
+If it took your time and can take that of others.
+If it won't change anytime soon or get obsolete in the next second.
+If it is Nigerian.
Then by all means, put it up!

We already have
CSV1: States codes and geopolitical zones by @olibenu
CSV2: Geopolitical zones by @olibenu
CSV3: States, LGAs and Geolocation by @kehers
CSV4: GSM Network Providers Phone Number Prefixes by @olibenu and @pystar
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kaybillz007(f): 4:02pm On Mar 02, 2017
Send in drops now . Will be here until 12 . Send in old wells. Old chase , old boa , old sun coast FCu , Washington state employee credit union . And cc top up 100%. 7BAB975C Ping now!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / Programmers: At What Age Did You Start Programming? / Java Tutorial For Beginners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.