Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,417 members, 7,812,230 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

[Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED - Programming (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED (23553 Views)

Poll: Vote for your choice for Summer 2012

Government Budget Monitoring System: 32% (21 votes)
Fund Raising app to aid Charities/individuals in raising needed funds: 14% (9 votes)
Encyclopaedia of Nigerian goods: 7% (5 votes)
Browser to promote Nigeria: 18% (12 votes)
App to predict power failure: 26% (17 votes)
This poll has ended

Poll: We have a tie, please pick your favourite and most feasible

Government budget monitoring/Performance Application: 60% (6 votes)
Application to predict power failure or give real-time updates on when NEPA plans to cut-off ur power supply: 40% (4 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Install The Right Version Of Code::blocks / Build A Mobile App Without Knowing Any Programming Language or line of code. / Function Points (FP) Vs Lines Of Code (LOC) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by okeyxyz(m): 3:36am On Jul 07, 2012
@a_zed, @kobojunkie, @all,
I must say i'm impressed with you guys for pushing on with this project, you've truly earned my respect. sad i'm not a part of it, (terribly busy) but i'm with you guys "in spirit".
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 1:01pm On Jul 07, 2012
@A_zed, I think I have enough data at this point, for us to move forward.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 7:23pm On Jul 10, 2012
Kobojunkie: @A_zed, I think I have enough data at this point, for us to move forward.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by gozzilla(m): 9:48pm On Jul 10, 2012
Project manager where art thou?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 7:15pm On Jul 11, 2012
gozzilla: Project manager where art thou?
Kobojunkie: @A_zed, I think I have enough data at this point, for us to move forward.
Sorry all for the time away. I just relocated to a new country and i'm trying to settle down. I'll go through the last post and i should make a serious comment regarding the project.

Ps since data is available thanks to kobo, lets suggest a language/framework.
I'm comfortable with vb.net and php, beginner level with python, java and C#
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by xterra2(m): 1:05am On Jul 12, 2012
Wait is this a desktop or a web application ?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 10:02am On Jul 12, 2012
xterra2: Wait is this a desktop or a web application ?

It's a web app.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by gozzilla(m): 10:05am On Jul 12, 2012
@xterra

I believe it is a web application.

@A_zed

You can create a poll. Let the most active guys in the post vote on which language they will like to go with. For me I say the option should be between java and python. But again that is my choice.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by gozzilla(m): 10:07am On Jul 12, 2012
A_zed have you got time on your hand so we can talk.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 12:57pm On Jul 12, 2012
@A_zed, you need to make yourself more available here. We are here to help bring your dream to light and we would really appreciate it, if you get more involved and help move this forward, faster.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 5:25pm On Jul 12, 2012
gozzilla: A_zed have you got time on your hand so we can talk.
yeah we can talk.
Kobojunkie: @A_zed, you need to make yourself more available here. We are here to help bring your dream to light and we would really appreciate it, if you get more involved and help move this forward, faster.
I will be more available from now....
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 1:51pm On Jul 13, 2012
Good to know. I went ahead with the idea of building a data service to serve the data that we hope to put together. I am still data transform work but data that I am 70% ok with, I will make available via the service should anyone need it. The service is built using WCF .NET technology with SQL Server on the back.

Please put together plans on how to build the client application so we can get people who have been waiting, working on that piece at least.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 3:01pm On Jul 13, 2012
Kobojunkie: Good to know. I went ahead with the idea of building a data service to serve the data that we hope to put together. I am still data transform work but data that I am 70% ok with, I will make available via the service should anyone need it. The service is built using WCF .NET technology with SQL Server on the back.

Please put together plans on how to build the client application so we can get people who have been waiting, working on that piece at least.
I will work on that.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 3:33pm On Jul 13, 2012
@Kobo
Are you using vb.net or C# for the service?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 4:47pm On Jul 13, 2012
A-ZeD:
@Kobo
Are you using vb.net or C# for the service?

I built it using C#. Since the messages could be soap or XMl, it does not really matter what technology you chose for the client application. Also, in .NET you can use various languages, for instance. The Service is in C# but the unit test is in VB.NET.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 5:55pm On Jul 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

I built it using C#. Since the messages could be soap or XMl, it does not really matter what technology you chose for the client application. Also, in .NET you can use various languages, for instance. The Service is in C# but the unit test is in VB.NET.
does it mean that anyone can write a client in any language and pull data from your service?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 6:12pm On Jul 13, 2012
lordZOUGA:
does it mean that anyone can write a client in any language and pull data from your service?

Technically, it does. But would I really want to let ANYONE use my data? undecided
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 6:28pm On Jul 13, 2012
Kobojunkie:

Technically, it does. But would I really want to let ANYONE use my data? undecided
I see...
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by gozzilla(m): 12:25am On Jul 14, 2012
Kobo, I thought that was the long term plan to make this data accessible to many.
So what's the way forward
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 2:51am On Jul 14, 2012
gozzilla: Kobo, I thought that was the long term plan to make this data accessible to many.
So what's the way forward

Well, yes, but for now, the data cannot be said to be correct data so making it available to people now would be serving them data we are not 100% of. Like I said, what I have is probably 70% guaranteed to be correct. There is still the 30% to be taken care of that would imply having to comb through it all bit by bit after we are done with extracting it, and that will take some serious time.

By the way, how far have you gotten with the one you are working one? do you have anything I can merge into this?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by gozzilla(m): 3:03pm On Jul 14, 2012
I should send it in this evening when I get home. An sql dump of the data ( I used mysql).
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 5:45pm On Jul 14, 2012
gozzilla: I should send it in this evening when I get home. An sql dump of the data ( I used mysql).

Since you already have it in SQL, can you send me a script of what you have then? I am working with SQLServer, and can more easily run the script on my database and then convert it all into portable CSV.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 9:25pm On Jul 16, 2012
@kobo
I would write the client but i need to know the public methods of data service.

ps i know you don't want private im's but i would like to contact you.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 11:19pm On Jul 16, 2012
If anybody is interested in working on the project let me know. You don't have to be a programmer.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by gozzilla(m): 10:44am On Jul 17, 2012
@A-zed

I think I will have to send you the dump, to send it directly to @kobo. The stuff is not attaching here. And yes just go ahead with the next task.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 12:57pm On Jul 17, 2012
A-ZeD:
@kobo
I would write the client but i need to know the public methods of data service.

ps i know you don't want private im's but i would like to contact you.

The service is not online, and you will have to decide later on how you want to handle that, so for now we can simply mock a connection to data in the application. Also, please consider the question asked below. . .

harryobas: @kobojunkie Do u have a sort of baseline architecture for this project that can serve as a quick learning aid for interested developers who which to know more about the project with a view of joining the project at some point.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 4:57pm On Jul 17, 2012
gozzilla: @A-zed

I think I will have to send you the dump, to send it directly to @kobo. The stuff is not attaching here. And yes just go ahead with the next task.
Ok. you said you wanted to chat with me. Email me on azedsix@yahoo.com.

harryobas: @kobojunkie Do u have a sort of baseline architecture for this project that can serve as a quick learning aid for interested developers who which to know more about the project with a view of joining the project at some point.
Would get back on this one.
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by Kobojunkie: 1:02pm On Jul 18, 2012
Summer is half way done. . . please let us hurry this up. grin
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 6:57am On Jul 19, 2012
the software should get budgets from server that are in pdf formats and present them in a structured format to the user?
It should have a library?
Should know unread and already read?
Users should be able to comment and mark budgets as executed or not?
Should be able to convert between formats(this should probably exist on server tho)?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by ektbear: 7:05am On Jul 19, 2012
how far along is it? are you guys githubbing it?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by AZeD1(m): 7:44am On Jul 19, 2012
lordZOUGA: the software should get budgets from server that are in pdf formats and present them in a structured format to the user?
It should have a library?
Should know unread and already read?
Users should be able to comment and mark budgets as executed or not?
Should be able to convert between formats(this should probably exist on server tho)?
Are you making a suggestion or asking a question?
Re: [Project] 2012 Summer Of Code - WORK HAS COMMENCED by lordZOUGA(m): 8:16am On Jul 19, 2012
A-ZeD:

Are you making a suggestion or asking a question?
I think the question mark means.. Have those options been considered? If those options have not been considered then it should be given consideration

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Which Programming Language Should He Go For? / Java Tutorial For Beginners / Programmers: At What Age Did You Start Programming?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.