Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,819 members, 7,956,085 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:18 AM

Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. (2192 Views)

Buhari Leading Other African Presidents On Social Media / 10 African Countries With The Highest Military Strength And Fire Power / Botswana Plans To Deport Nigerians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by igbo2011(m): 9:22pm On May 06, 2012
Botswana is the fastest growing country over the past 40 years. It is the least corrupt country and has the best political system in Africa. Many people are investing in Botswana as well. They have an indigenous homegrown political system. They even have chief for politics. They don't have a bunch of useless Senators who don't do anything. We need to stop following oyibo and follow our fellow Africans in Bostwana.

They even have free education and one of the highest living standard in Africa. We need to look up to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj3Qc0we87Y
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by CyberG: 1:21am On May 07, 2012
Did you notice that transparency and lowest level of CORRUPTION is perhaps the biggest reason why Botswana is doing so well? If Nigerians all jointly determine to stand against corrupt leaders and not supporting the ones who have paid them or from their tribe everywhere in the COUNTRY, we will be catching up and doing better very fast. Did you notice that all the gains of 1999-2007 have now been totally reversed with the current government's oil money theft only being ~ N 2 Trillion ~ 20 Billion USD? But guess what, Jonathan is still defended by mostly the same people who you ask to aspire to Botswana which will NEVER happen at this rate!
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by MrFire: 1:25am On May 07, 2012
And Botswana is a landlocked country, people. Whereas Nigeria has access to the sea in many places. Hope people get my drift?
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by onatisi(m): 6:19am On May 07, 2012
why are u crying over spilt milk.nigeria is finished already and the sign post are glaringly clear unless we just want to be stupidly patriotic .nigeria is fast infact supertracking towards been a failed nation.second base o jare
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by thoth: 10:35am On May 07, 2012
Had Bostwana had mineral resources like oil, you would have had the west criticizing his model of democracy and propagating heinous propaganda against the governments, and if that does not work then you will have a coup in the country that is supported by the western world and the media will term it as a REVOLUTION. Then things would start to degenerate , either a war broke out or the corrupt puppets privatizes the whole nation and the masses as poor as dirt.
You would hear phrases as "Bostwana the only country in Africa still in the 1600's " OR "Bostwana: No Senators No Democracy" or " Bostwanian CHIEFS and KINGS living off the poor PEASANTS" believe me the Nigerian masses would be the first to support the rebels and tout themselves as having the MODERN style of Democracy and somehow better and advanced than Bostwana.
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by igbo2011(m): 8:26pm On May 07, 2012
thoth: Had Bostwana had mineral resources like oil, you would have had the west criticizing his model of democracy and propagating heinous propaganda against the governments, and if that does not work then you will have a coup in the country that is supported by the western world and the media will term it as a REVOLUTION. Then things would start to degenerate , either a war broke out or the corrupt puppets privatizes the whole nation and the masses as poor as dirt.
You would hear phrases as "Bostwana the only country in Africa still in the 1600's " OR "Bostwana: No Senators No Democracy" or " Bostwanian CHIEFS and KINGS living off the poor PEASANTS" believe me the Nigerian masses would be the first to support the rebels and tout themselves as having the MODERN style of Democracy and somehow better and advanced than Bostwana.

Yeah, I feel you man. But Neo-colonialism is holing Africa back. We need to ALL rise up. If All of Africa were to ack up Libya then we might be free of neo colonialism. Remember during slavery when one slave misbehaved they would kill him and show an example to the rest. I all of the slaves were to mis behave and rise up then the master would be running for his life. We le them destroy Libya and we didnt back up Gaddafi even though he was for Africa.

The white man plays a role but weneed to blame ourselves too. We must UNITE as one. We must buy African products instead of European or Chinese ones. We need to do busines with each other and loe each other. We must trust each other instead of our enemies. I am trying to start a movement: www.nigerianedp.com
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by Nobody: 10:30pm On May 07, 2012
Its a bit too simplistic to compare Nigeria with Botswana. Botswana is a country of only about two million people who are, for the most part, relatively homogenous culturally. Nigeria is way to complex to follow the example of a country of two million people.

And its also not true that Botswana has no natural resources, its a country rich in gold and diamonds.

So while I believe Botswana has shown a good example generally, I also believe its up to us to forge our own path. What worked for Botswana won't necessarily work for us.
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by thoth: 7:41am On May 08, 2012
igbo2011:

Yeah, I feel you man. But Neo-colonialism is holing Africa back. We need to ALL rise up. If All of Africa were to ack up Libya then we might be free of neo colonialism. Remember during slavery when one slave misbehaved they would kill him and show an example to the rest. I all of the slaves were to mis behave and rise up then the master would be running for his life. We le them destroy Libya and we didnt back up Gaddafi even though he was for Africa.

The white man plays a role but weneed to blame ourselves too. We must UNITE as one. We must buy African products instead of European or Chinese ones. We need to do busines with each other and loe each other. We must trust each other instead of our enemies. I am trying to start a movement: www.nigerianedp.com

I have tried to alert people in my other posts that Nigeria is currently in the grind and we are being driven by the unseen hands of neo-colonialism to our doom but they would just cast you aside as a Conspiracy Theorist and that makes you wonder if the majority has common sense at all. Nigeria is in a war, our only DEFENCE is DISCIPLINE. Nigeria is in a war and our only WEAPON is UNITY. As long as people don't unite and still look on to these Imperialist puppets we have as a goverment to effect change we will continue to suffer. As long as people don't enlighten themselves and still look up to the west as a role model we will continue to fail. As long as we don't rise up and instill Discipline and punish those that looted the state treasury irrespective of what the bastard west screams about human rights our effort at a better society would always be frustrated.
As long as Africa practice western style democracy we would never be democratic.
Mind you the Igbos practiced TRUE democracy thousands of years before the bloody Colonialist came.
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by thoth: 8:26am On May 08, 2012
HNosegbe: Its a bit too simplistic to compare Nigeria with Botswana. Botswana is a country of only about two million people who are, for the most part, relatively homogenous culturally. Nigeria is way to complex to follow the example of a country of two million people.

And its also not true that Botswana has no natural resources, its a country rich in gold and diamonds.

So while I believe Botswana has shown a good example generally, I also believe its up to us to forge our own path. What worked for Botswana won't necessarily work for us.

What worked for Bostwana is True democracy and that would work in any country including Nigeria irrespective of size,demographics,resources and religion.
The whiteman has always supported what benefits him no matter how horrible it is and would continue to do so as far as there is something to gain from it. They have surpported tyrants,dictator and outright mad men as leaders, they have overthrown democratically elected goverments in many countries and in its place installed either a puppet civilian goverment where the masses are ignorant and uninformed like Nigeria or a military tyrant where the masses are enlightened and may rise against the imperialists.
The igbos don't believe in Kingship or any form of dictatorial rule they were democratic through and through, they had no igwes before britain arrived and the Eze of Nri holds a ceremonial role; now why would the british introduce Kingship and undermine our system of goverment?
Why would the forcefully push a town to answer to one man (the brits introduced the Igwes)?
Is it that true democracy would hamper their exploitative relationship with africans or that they know that a system whereby the interests of the masses takes priority is not benefiting or is it both ?
Brethrens, please understand that i don't blame the whiteman for ANY of africas problem but i am presenting facts in a way that people would think for themselves and maybe make better judgement.
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by RSA(m): 9:24am On May 08, 2012
Funny how we just follow what the western media tell us about what's in our backround.They said the same thing about Zimbabwe and Mugabe when he allowed white Brits to own 90% of all commercial farm land in Zimbabwe.They said Zimbabwe is a true model of democracy in Africa,that Mugabe is the brightest African leader,the most educated.They said all this things while he was busy with ethnic cleansing of Ndebele people in his backyards.And we all know what he is called now after listening to real Zimbabweans.

Did you know that Botswana has been ruled by the same party since they gain independence in 1966? That there is no freedom of press in that country? That Basarwa people(Bushmen/Khoisans) are chased from their land in the Kgalagadi without compensation nor a place to live to make way for diamond mining companies? Opposition politics are almost none existence.
And that the current President Seretse Ian Khama is the son of the founding President of Botswana,Sir Seretse Khama.So they run this country like a family business.The President's brother,cousins and relatives are all heading different government departments.

But then when you lick the western government's a%%s,Nobody remember or see the bad in you.So good luck to all the countries that want to model their democracy to that of Botswana.As for me I'll pass for now. grin
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by thoth: 5:07pm On May 08, 2012
RSA: Funny how we just follow what the western media tell us about what's in our backround.They said the same thing about Zimbabwe and Mugabe when he allowed white Brits to own 90% of all commercial farm land in Zimbabwe.They said Zimbabwe is a true model of democracy in Africa,that Mugabe is the brightest African leader,the most educated.They said all this things while he was busy with ethnic cleansing of Ndebele people in his backyards.And we all know what he is called now after listening to real Zimbabweans.

Did you know that Botswana has been ruled by the same party since they gain independence in 1966? That there is no freedom of press in that country? That Basarwa people(Bushmen/Khoisans) are chased from their land in the Kgalagadi without compensation nor a place to live to make way for diamond mining companies? Opposition politics are almost none existence.
And that the current President Seretse Ian Khama is the son of the founding President of Botswana,Sir Seretse Khama.So they run this country like a family business.The President's brother,cousins and relatives are all heading different government departments.

But then when you lick the western government's a%%s,Nobody remember or see the bad in you.So good luck to all the countries that want to model their democracy to that of Botswana.As for me I'll pass for now. grin
You are right in many things you said and i am aware but it remains true that our pre-colonial system is better than what we have now.
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by igbo2011(m): 6:43am On May 10, 2012
thoth:

What worked for Bostwana is True democracy and that would work in any country including Nigeria irrespective of size,demographics,resources and religion.
The whiteman has always supported what benefits him no matter how horrible it is and would continue to do so as far as there is something to gain from it. They have surpported tyrants,dictator and outright mad men as leaders, they have overthrown democratically elected goverments in many countries and in its place installed either a puppet civilian goverment where the masses are ignorant and uninformed like Nigeria or a military tyrant where the masses are enlightened and may rise against the imperialists.
The igbos don't believe in Kingship or any form of dictatorial rule they were democratic through and through, they had no igwes before britain arrived and the Eze of Nri holds a ceremonial role; now why would the british introduce Kingship and undermine our system of goverment?
Why would the forcefully push a town to answer to one man (the brits introduced the Igwes)?
Is it that true democracy would hamper their exploitative relationship with africans or that they know that a system whereby the interests of the masses takes priority is not benefiting or is it both ?
Brethrens, please understand that i don't blame the whiteman for ANY of africas problem but i am presenting facts in a way that people would think for themselves and maybe make better judgement.
I blame them for all the wars in Africa, most are funded by them. Without those wars Africa would be a lot better. Also those famines are caused by drone in Somalia. Those corrupt leader are funded and backed by the west. The colonial pact is backed by France. but besides that it i African's fault for not rising up and supporting each other. Being so tribal is our wort problem. Also religion is holding us back. Suffering and smiling. We pray for everything and we don't get anything.We need to top praying and start fighting for our rights.
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by thoth: 7:24am On May 10, 2012
igbo2011:
I blame them for all the wars in Africa, most are funded by them. Without those wars Africa would be a lot better. Also those famines are caused by drone in Somalia. Those corrupt leader are funded and backed by the west. The colonial pact is backed by France. but besides that it i African's fault for not rising up and supporting each other. Being so tribal is our wort problem. Also religion is holding us back. Suffering and smiling. We pray for everything and we don't get anything.We need to top praying and start fighting for our rights.
I know how you feel and you are right in certain issues but if you had dealt with Africans as i had then you might not be too quick to say "rise up and fight" examples:
Ojukwu being educated and understanding imperialism was approached by the Russians at the onset of the war and was asked to conceed the nations oil to russia for 2 decades in return for Russias assistance and he refused, Gowon on the other hand whom has already accepted the Aburi Accord was tricked by the Brits due to his ignorance to reject it again and the British intelligence analysts knowing fully well that it would lead to war and that would put Nigeria back into british hands hence Neo-colonialism pushed on. The Yorubas Awolowo who would have been the balance in the situation and would have demoralised the North and stopped war had he joined the EAST as he PROMISED was met by the brits as well and after certain promises sold out his nation. The brits knew Ojukwu was educated so they dare not meet him because he will be a bad puppet and may not agree. Looking at this scenario from an analyst point of view " arise and fight" would be a very bad option. What we need is a way to foster unity by education and uproot there puppets then have the mass identify our common enemy. All these could be achieved without fighting because once we fight again it would be another chance to destroy all we have worked for and it may take another 50 years to get ready again.
The only place i lay blame on the whites is Colonialism because they use physical force to subdue and kill millions of black africans. It is only sad that Nigerians are ignorant and does not learn their history, i grew up in france and in school we are taught how french soldiers butchered the africans in thousand and we praise their bravery and valor, we learn how they quelled numerous rebellion in great detail with all the gore and meanness BUT here in Nigeria children were taught that the missionaries came and colonized us leaving out stuffs like the Ekumeku and others, how then can such ignorant and indoctrinated minds liberate themselver ? How can they ever love their nation ?
God save us all.
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by igbo2011(m): 3:55am On May 15, 2012
thoth:
I know how you feel and you are right in certain issues but if you had dealt with Africans as i had then you might not be too quick to say "rise up and fight" examples:
Ojukwu being educated and understanding imperialism was approached by the Russians at the onset of the war and was asked to conceed the nations oil to russia for 2 decades in return for Russias assistance and he refused, Gowon on the other hand whom has already accepted the Aburi Accord was tricked by the Brits due to his ignorance to reject it again and the British intelligence analysts knowing fully well that it would lead to war and that would put Nigeria back into british hands hence Neo-colonialism pushed on. The Yorubas Awolowo who would have been the balance in the situation and would have demoralised the North and stopped war had he joined the EAST as he PROMISED was met by the brits as well and after certain promises sold out his nation. The brits knew Ojukwu was educated so they dare not meet him because he will be a bad puppet and may not agree. Looking at this scenario from an analyst point of view " arise and fight" would be a very bad option. What we need is a way to foster unity by education and uproot there puppets then have the mass identify our common enemy. All these could be achieved without fighting because once we fight again it would be another chance to destroy all we have worked for and it may take another 50 years to get ready again.
The only place i lay blame on the whites is Colonialism because they use physical force to subdue and kill millions of black africans. It is only sad that Nigerians are ignorant and does not learn their history, i grew up in france and in school we are taught how french soldiers butchered the africans in thousand and we praise their bravery and valor, we learn how they quelled numerous rebellion in great detail with all the gore and meanness BUT here in Nigeria children were taught that the missionaries came and colonized us leaving out stuffs like the Ekumeku and others, how then can such ignorant and indoctrinated minds liberate themselver ? How can they ever love their nation ?
God save us all.

We need to have a new educational system that isn't Eurocentric and it has to be Afrocentric. This will uplift African to make us lose the inferiority complex. I wish that I could work for the Ministry of Education to change things.
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by ektbear: 6:28am On May 15, 2012
I'd rather follow successful models rather than anti-European models.

The objective is winning the game, not necessarily doing it with an entirely unique, indigenous strategy.

Let's be more pragmatic...take whatever works and use it.
Re: Nigeria (and Other African Countries) Need To Follow Botswana And Not The West. by thoth: 7:23am On May 19, 2012
ekt_bear: I'd rather follow successful models rather than anti-European models.

The objective is winning the game, not necessarily doing it with an entirely unique, indigenous strategy.

Let's be more pragmatic...take whatever works and use it.
What exactly do you mean by anti - european model ?
What is exactly european model ?
Which one exactly are we following now in Nigeria ?
How has that been helping the country so far ?

(1) (Reply)

Kaduna Is Mourning. Governor Dead. The Real Story. / Govs’ Akpabio, Orji’s Rift Over Completion Of Uyo –ikot-ekpene-aba, Umuahia Six / REVENGE:- American Navy SEALS Kill Mastermind Of Kenya Shopping Mall Siege!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.