Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,241 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? (46315 Views)

Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" / Secrets Of A Muslim Woman / Pregnant Muslim Woman Attacked In Paris, Loses Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by OmoAlata(f): 2:55pm On Jan 31, 2013
rbjimoh: [color=#006600][/color]Therefore, if you adopt a male child and change his surname to yours, thereby absolving him as though he is your biological son, by implication, he cannot marry any woma your real bioligical son cannot marry. By that, Islam says he has been denied or he has denied himself or forbids for himself what Allah has made lawful for him

Oh I see. Thanks for explaining.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by tbaba1234: 2:58pm On Jan 31, 2013
thirty:

hi tbaba,

i never come across this hadith before. the verse of Quran, is it refering to men or women?. islamic law is not about common sense because common is not common. please be very sure of all Fatwah before posting. but sha i love the topic. keep it up.

The narration is reported in both Bukhari and muslim. It is clear that people should bear the names that reflect their heritage. The quranic ayah talks about adoption of children. Adopted children keep their father's last name if it is known.
Taking up the husband's last name is a culture adopted from the British.

Islamically, everyone bears the name of his father , regardless of new relationship s.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by omoerelu1: 3:01pm On Jan 31, 2013
It is not that easy o. I got married not long ago and i agreed with my husband to keep my surname with my husband's family name at least if i cant bear my father's name alone.but the problem is that my husband's surname is a complex name and it is so difficult compounding the whole thing. And not to even say that my in laws wont like it.i am still using my father's name for now o.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by tbaba1234: 3:10pm On Jan 31, 2013
It is difficult in our environment. The best many can hope for, is a compound name.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by nagoma(m): 3:34pm On Jan 31, 2013
uzeba: If i comment dem go ban me! I love nairaland and i don't want to b ban!!

You are banned.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by Yasmeena(f): 3:53pm On Jan 31, 2013
Hope2015:
W.salam Ya Akhee! i think you totally misunderstood d entire idea, Islam has neva been abt common sense neither has it been interpreted in d lyt of culture.. but by total submission to the will of Allah, as is made obvious in d Noble Quran n Hadith... Assuming but nt conceeding 2 ur deductions, wat is d Islamic way of saying, e.g Yasmeen, wife of Sadiq? lyk u talked abt 'Ibn' N 'bint'...? Wat i believe is dat as a guwd believer, wen an issue is raised, and u'r presented with Hujjah on it, n u know d sources are authentic, then it has 2 b followed, without tryna bring in2 it cultural sentiments or common sense. Allah is d all-knowing n is d 1 who gave us d sense we tink we have.WA ALLAHU AALLAM!
Wa lahu aalam

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by nagoma(m): 4:07pm On Jan 31, 2013
Hope2015: Salam alaykum. I found this topic interesting and i'm compelled to make little contributions. Let us not be confused. There is no sin in a woman using her husband name and cannot be interpreted as meaning the wife was born by the husband. It only means she is the wife of the named husband particularly when the word "Mrs" is attached. If the hadith or quran verses quoted are to be adhere to to the latter then women should use exact fathers' names & not even the father's family name or surname because by direct interpretation, the family name is not the father's exact name.
So, i think there is nothing bad in calling women by their husbands' names. Wa lahu aalam
Salaam alaykum

I see your point. But I think the emphasis is on maintaining an identity and lineage and adoption of husbands name or his surname means that the identity is lost. Even at the time of the prophet (SAW) fathers names were used but outstanding identities were emphasized. The wife of the prophet ( SAW) Maria who was an Egyptian Copte Christian was addressed as Maria al- Qibtiyya. Bilal IBM Rabah was addressed as Bilal Habashi to emphasize and not lose his Ethiopian roots. So was Salman Farisa who was frm Persia ( Iran). This continued even to our generations. Sheikh Ahmad Zaki Yamani whose father was Hassan Yamani was a full Saudi Citezen born in Mecca and the most famous oil minister of that kingdom but maintained the name Yamani to emphasize his Yemen Ancestory. This was what happened in Nigeria and you had persons like sheikh Adam al-Ilori, Aminu Kano , Abdurrahman Okene, Yahya Gusau all of blessed memory . Their attachment of fathers and often grandfathers and sometime name of places ensures the persons identity. Unfortunately for the women , the western culture has taken over and women identity is lost inside their husbands. In my view it should be an important issue in the emancipation of women and gender mainstreaming for women to stop being appendages.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by vizion: 6:24pm On Jan 31, 2013
nagoma:

I see your point. But I think the emphasis is on maintaining an identity and lineage and adoption of husbands name or his surname means that the identity is lost. Even at the time of the prophet (SAW) fathers names were used but outstanding identities were emphasized. The wife of the prophet ( SAW) Maria who was an Egyptian Copte Christian was addressed as Maria al- Qibtiyya. Bilal IBM Rabah was addressed as Bilal Habashi to emphasize and not lose his Ethiopian roots. So was Salman Farisa who was frm Persia ( Iran). This continued even to our generations. Sheikh Ahmad Zaki Yamani whose father was Hassan Yamani was a full Saudi Citezen born in Mecca and the most famous oil minister of that kingdom but maintained the name Yamani to emphasize his Yemen Ancestory. This was what happened in Nigeria and you had persons like sheikh Adam al-Ilori, Aminu Kano , Abdurrahman Okene, Yahya Gusau all of blessed memory . Their attachment of fathers and often grandfathers and sometime name of places ensures the persons identity. Unfortunately for the women , the western culture has taken over and women identity is lost inside their husbands. In my view it should be an important issue in the emancipation of women and gender mainstreaming for women to stop being appendages.

Stop being appendage to who??

every human is a appendage to someone, even the man is an appendage of his father, emancipation of women has nothing to do with whose name she answers. let the woman answer her mothers and the man answer his fathers name so that there could be peace for the women folks. better still let there be no longer marriage, so that every one could be lord of themselves.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by nuorlah: 6:56pm On Jan 31, 2013
I would like matters like surrogacy brought up as well.

If a boy loses his heritage because he is adopted, it is likely that he would meet his sister and marry her. Another reason why keeping of the biological father's name is important.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by nuorlah: 6:59pm On Jan 31, 2013
omo.erelu:
It is not that easy o. I got married not long ago and i agreed with my husband to keep my surname with my husband's family name at least if i cant bear my father's name alone.but the problem is that my husband's surname is a complex name and it is so difficult compounding the whole thing. And not to even say that my in laws wont like it.i am still using my father's name for now o.

This isnt a matter for your in laws to decide on. It should be a thing you decide with your husband
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by mimifonwon(f): 7:29pm On Jan 31, 2013
okay so am not muslim, but i know a muslim guy from ghana. He bares his mother's maiden name, even though his father is married to his mom. His mom is ashanti and from a royal family so because their culture is matriarchal rather than patriarchal...-- the children from their union belongs to her family, even if they separate, he cannot culturally lay a claim, maybe legally, but as we know traditional culture sometimes super-cedes modern legal rights. So culture plays a big role. Now let me say our cultures were there before the islamic and christian religions came into play and most of us greedily adopted them.

And why do you guys keep saying refrain from insulting islam, why is islam singled out, why can't it be refrain from insulting people's religious belief. I dont like the favoritism here. Am just saying my own. this is the problem with nigeria

I also want to say that when a woman holds a professional title before marriage, i.e, doctor... then to not confuse people they usually hyphenate their names. In spanish tradition, children take both the father and mother's surname for example traditionally, if John Smith and Nancy Jones, who live in an English-speaking country, get married and have a child, he or she would end up with a name such as Chris Smith. But it's not the same in most areas where Spanish is spoken as the native language. If Juan López Marcos marries María Covas Callas, their child would end up with a name such as Mario López Covas. In general, a person born into a Spanish-speaking family is given a first name followed by two surnames, the first being the father's family name (or, more precisely, the surname he gained from his father) followed by the mother's family name (or, again more precisely, the surname she gained from her father).If Teresa García Ramírez marries Elí Arroyo López, she doesn't change her name. But it would be extremely common for her to add "de Arroyo" (literally, "of Arroyo"wink, making her name Teresa García Ramírez de Arroyo.

so its mainly cultural. I know my mom comes from a huge paternal family, her dad married 4 wives i think( not sure, might be five). Anyways when my mom's brother who was not my grandpas first son, but first son he had with my grandma( his second wife) , he gave my uncle land and my uncle did what is called "ife obi" in igbo. So with doing that all his children for example, lets say his name is ikemefula Nwancha, all his children will now answer..venessa ikemefula nwancha as to distinguish the sons the children come from, even though they are part of the main family. this usually happens in a big family with multiple sons. My dad is the only son his parents has, so there was never a need to attach his full name to mines, plus i dont think yoruba culture does that than give the family name.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by Akiika: 8:25pm On Jan 31, 2013
Baring the comments by some childish, shallow minded, religious bigots, this is one of the most educative post i've read on NL.
Keep it up. I encourage this from our christian friends too.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by akumarism(m): 8:36pm On Jan 31, 2013
pak:

I totally love your comments and please salute your dad for me, He must be a very reasonable person.

My take is that regardless of religous creed, muslim, christian or pagan, Africa will only progress when we learn to think for ourselves.

We all believe our respective religions descended from God but reality makes us understand that the culture of the region where those religion originates from heavily influence it's practices.

I do not have problems with accepting a foreign religion, its a personal choice but the most important thing is for us to maintain and respect our own indigenous culture and values
provided those indigenous culture and values doesn't violate religious commands or repugnant to human co-existence. For example, how do u explain culture that takes delight in sacrificing human beings.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by Akiika: 9:34pm On Jan 31, 2013
Pak: We all believe our respective religions descended from God but reality makes us understand that the culture of the region where those religion originates from heavily influence it's practices.

The above is the honest truth. This issue for example shouldn't be made such a big deal, there is no clear verse in the quran that stipulates it. God created all of us, so He only owns us. And BTW we are all descendants of same Adam and Eve. If we want to go by this theory, we all should take Adam as our last name.
My advice is, uphold the islamic articles of faith and strive to accomplish the 5 pillars of islam. Be careful of all these fatwas by self made sheiks from so-called islamic country. I see that the source is islamqa.com, nothing against it but most of their fatwas are aligned towards the Sunnis belief, of which shiites will have a contrary opinion.
The basic rule of humanity that all religion agrees with is "Love your neighbor as yourself, eschew evil and espouse peace". Allah knows best.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by real4life: 10:24pm On Jan 31, 2013
I think both husbands names and fathers names may be allowed. As Allah used both examples in the following Quran verses.

Allah presents an example of those who disbelieved: the wife of Noah and the wife of Lot. They were under two of Our righteous servants but betrayed them, so those prophets did not avail them from Allah at all, and it was said, "Enter the Fire with those who enter." [Quran 66:10]

And Allah presents an example of those who believed: the wife of Pharaoh, when she said, "My Lord, build for me near You a house in Paradise and save me from Pharaoh and his deeds and save me from the wrongdoing people." [Quran 66:11]

And [the example of] Mary, the daughter of 'Imran, who guarded her chastity, so We blew into [her garment] through Our angel, and she believed in the words of her Lord and His scriptures and was of the devoutly obedient. {Quran 66:12]
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by tbaba1234: 10:38pm On Jan 31, 2013
real4life: I think both husbands names and fathers names may be allowed. As Allah used both examples in the following Quran verses.

Allah presents an example of those who disbelieved: the wife of Noah and the wife of Lot. They were under two of Our righteous servants but betrayed them, so those prophets did not avail them from Allah at all, and it was said, "Enter the Fire with those who enter." [Quran 66:10]

And Allah presents an example of those who believed: the wife of Pharaoh, when she said, "My Lord, build for me near You a house in Paradise and save me from Pharaoh and his deeds and save me from the wrongdoing people." [Quran 66:11]

And [the example of] Mary, the daughter of 'Imran, who guarded her chastity, so We blew into [her garment] through Our angel, and she believed in the words of her Lord and His scriptures and was of the devoutly obedient. {Quran 66:12]

The hadiths of the prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) are clear...

And the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said:

“Whoever calls himself by other than his father’s name, will be cursed by Allaah, the angels and all the people.” (Ibn Maajah -Saheeh by al-Albaani).

And he (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) also said:

“Whoever knowingly claims to belong to anyone other than his father, Paradise will be denied him.” (Ahmad, al-Bukhaari, Muslim).

As regards the Quranic ayat, the relationships are related to a major character in the story being told. Wife of Lot, what benefit would it be to to use her father's name when he is not even involved in the story. The same thing with the wife of noah or pharaoh.

That a women keeps her father's name does not stop her from being your wife. She is still your wife even if she keeps her father's name.

The point is about maintaining the heritage and the lineage.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by nagoma(m): 10:41pm On Jan 31, 2013
vizion:
Stop being appendage to who??
every human is a appendage to someone, even the man is an appendage of his father, emancipation of women has nothing to do with whose name she answers. let the woman answer her mothers and the man answer his fathers name so that there could be peace for the women folks. better still let there be no longer marriage, so that every one could be lord of themselves.

The answer is not in abolishing marriage but in retaining your lineage and identity. I have often asked for people's name and I get answers like. I am Mrs. Ahmed or my name is Mrs. Odulami or Mrs.Okeke. For me these are not their names. These are names of their husbands and sometime I press by saying , what is your own name? I mean the name given to her by her parents. They are reduced to being appendages when they think their own individual personal name is no longer important when they are pronounced wives.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by tbaba1234: 10:47pm On Jan 31, 2013
More References and evidences:

In our eagerness to copy the West, we Muslims have adopted many of their practices which have no basis in the Sharee’ah. And among them is the practice of a woman changing her family name to that of her husband after she gets married.

The fact is that Islam does not require woman to change her name at marriage and there is nothing in the Sunnah to indicate that a woman should take her husband’s name after she gets married. Actually, the Ulama tell us that this is an innovated practice that is not approved of in Islaam.

Now, I know some people will say…“ Oh, come on…What is the big deal?!!”

So read on and you will know what I mean….

The wives of the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) are the Mothers of the Believers, and the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam), is the noblest of people and the best example. And yet when we look at their example, we will realize that when the Prophet(Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) married any of his wives, NOT ONE of them took his name. On the contrary, each one of them kept her father’s name even if her father was a kaafir. Similarly, the wives of the Sahaabah and those who came after them did not change their names.

Did you ever think why they didn’t do that?

Surely, if it was a good thing, the wives of the Prophet(Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) would have done it and the Prophet(Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) would himself have instructed it and encouraged them to do it.

That is because it is Allaah’s order to keep your father’s name as an indication of your lineage.

“Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allaah…” [al-Ahzaab 33:5].

“Whoever calls himself by other than his father’s name, will be cursed by Allaah, the angels and all the people.” (Ibn Maajah -Saheeh by al-Albaani).

“Whoever knowingly claims to belong to anyone other than his father, Paradise will be denied him.” (Ahmad, al-Bukhaari, Muslim).

Now some might argue….“But the woman is not claiming that her father is someone else. She is just honoring her husband or she doesn’t mean it that way. She just wants to belong to her husband out of love for him.”

To those people I say….

If it was a matter of honor to have the husbands name attached to the wife’s, wouldn’t our Ummahaat have done that??

Isn’t it the biggest honor in the WORLD to have the name of the Prophet(Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) attached to yours?? And yet the wives of the Prophet(Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) didn’t do that.

Ever wonder why??

And if it was a matter of expressing love for the husband, no relationship between a husband and wife on the face of this earth was better than the relationship between the Prophet(Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) and his wives. And yet none of the Mothers of the Believers expressed their love for the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) by changing their last names.

It doesn’t make any sense

The last name is an indication of the father of the person and represents the person’s lineage.

Shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd said: “This is one of the beauties of Sharee’ah, because calling a person by his father’s name is more appropriate for knowing who is who and telling people apart…..” (Tasmiyat al-Mawlood, 30, 31).

Originally, the woman is ‘the Daughter of So and so’, and NOT ‘the wife of So and so’. Since there is no blood relationship between the husband and wife, how can she take his last name as if she is part of the same lineage?

And surely, she is not claiming that he is her father!!!!

Also what happens if she gets divorced, or her husband dies, and she marries another man? Will she keep changing her surname every time she marries another man?
In addition to this, there are rulings attached to the woman being named after her father, which have to do with her inheritance, spending and who is her mahram, etc. Taking her husband’s last name overlooks all that.

Also, if you think about it, the husband is named after his own father, and what does she have to do with the lineage of her husband’s father? This goes against common sense and true facts.

Besides, the husband has nothing that makes him better than his wife’s father. So why should she give up her father’s name and take her husband’s last name??
And why does the man get to keep his father’s name and not the woman??!!

It just doesn’t make any sense.

Sheikh Salih Al-Munajjid says:
“A woman changing her family name to that of her husband after she gets married is Haraam and is not allowed in Sharee’ah, because it is not permissible for anyone to claim to belong to anyone other than his or her father…… And Allaah knows best.”

Not only is it so in this world, but, we will also be called by our father‘s name in the Hereafter as well. The Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) said:

“On the Day of Resurrection, each betrayer will have a banner raised beside him, and it will be said, this is the betrayer of So and so, the son of So and so.” (Bukhaari, Muslim).

So, all you single females out there, don’t be in such a hurry to change your maiden name after you get married. And those of you who have already done that, it is never too late. Take back your maiden name and reclaim your identity. It is part of the Sharee’ah.

http://islamgreatreligion./2011/02/22/taking-the-husbands-name-after-marriage/
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by Akiika: 11:27pm On Jan 31, 2013
tbaba1234: The wives of the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) are the Mothers of the Believers, and the Prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam), is the noblest of people and the best example. And yet when we look at their example, we will realize that when the Prophet(Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) married any of his wives, NOT ONE of them took his name. On the contrary, each one of them kept her father’s name even if her father was a kaafir. Similarly, the wives of the Sahaabah and those who came after them did not change their names. Did you ever think why they didn’t do that?
This has been the practice before holy prophet was born, which makes it an arabian culture. It is fine if you chose to follow it to emulate the rosul, but i don't agree that it's a sin to do otherwise.
tbaba1234: “Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allaah…” [al-Ahzaab 33:5]
How does this apply to married woman changing names?
tbaba1234: “Whoever calls himself by other than his father’s name, will be cursed by Allaah, the angels and all the people.” (Ibn Maajah -Saheeh by al-Albaani)
What's the authenticity of this hadith? Give me a break, this is clearly a ghareeb (unreliable) hadith.
tbaba1234: Whoever knowingly claims to belong to anyone other than his father, Paradise will be denied him.” (Ahmad, al-Bukhaari, Muslim)
Once again, where does this infer name changing? and i need a more specific citation pls.
tbaba1234: Shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd said:*******,Sheikh Salih Al-Munajjid says:*******
Who are they? Have you met them? on what basis did they pronounce their fatwas? Please be wary of your sources.
My point is, don't present islam as difficult as it has already been perceived. Islam is very simple to practise, it is all these arab, persian, middle eastern shayks that pronounces fatwas based on long chain of Ghareeb hadiths that make things complicated. The fact that Islam was from these areas doesn't imply that whatever they say is valid. The fallout of their fatwas are the belligerent nature of most islamic youths from those areas.

2 Likes

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by tbaba1234: 12:14am On Feb 01, 2013
Akiika:
How does this apply to married woman changing names?
What's the authenticity of this hadith? Give me a break, this is clearly a ghareeb (unreliable) hadith.

Is it by by your whims that you decide that a hadith is unreliable?? What do you know about the sciences of the hadith? Before saying a hadith is unreliable, you must provide where the weakness in the hadith is.

The hadith has been declared saheeh by Al albani. Someone far more qualified in the hadith sciences than you and highly regarded as such.

Once again, where does this infer name changing? and i need a more specific citation pls.

It clearly states that you should not address yourself by any other your father's name. What other proof do you need not to change names?

References: Bukhari :: Book 4 :: Volume 56 :: Hadith 711

The Prophet said, "If somebody claims to be the son of any other than his real father knowingly, he but disbelieves in Allah, and if somebody claims to belong to some folk to whom he does not belong, let such a person take his place in the (Hell) Fire."

There is more:

Bukhari :: Book 5 :: Volume 59 :: Hadith 616

I heard from Sad, the first man who has thrown an arrow in Allah's Cause, and from Abu Bakra who jumped over the wall of the Ta'if Fort along with a few persons and came to the Prophet. They both said, "We heard the Prophet saying, " If somebody claims to be the son of somebody other than his father knowingly, he will be denied Paradise (i.e. he will not enter Paradise).' "

Narrated Ma'mar from 'Asim from Abu Al'Aliya or Abu Uthman An-Nahdi who said. "I heard Sad and Abu Bakra narrating from the Prophet." 'Asim said, "I said (to him), 'Very trustworthy persons have narrated to you.' He said, 'Yes, one of them was the first to throw an arrow in Allah's Cause and the other came to the Prophet in a group of thirty-three persons from Ta'if.'

Muslim :: Book 1 : Hadith 118

It is reported on the authority of Abu Dharr that he heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace and blessings be upon him) saying: No person who claimed knowingly anyone else as his father besides (his own) committed nothing but infidelity, and he who made a claim of anything, which (in fact) did not belong to him, is not amongst us; he should make his abode in Fire, and he who labeled anyone with unbelief or called him the enemy of Allah, and he was in fact not so, it rebounded on him.

Muslim :: Book 1 : Hadith 120

It is reported on the authority of Sa'd b. Abi Waqqas: Both of my ears heard the Messenger of Allah saying this: He who claimed the fatherhood of anyone else besides his real father knowingly (committed a great sin) ;Paradise is forbidden to him. Abu Bakra asserted that he too heard it from the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him ).

Muslim :: Book 1 : Hadith 121

Sa'd and Abu Bakra each one of them said: My ears heard and my hearing preserved it that Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) observed: He who claimed for another one his fatherhood besides his own father knowingly that he was not his father-to him Paradise is forbidden

So many reports, but maybe they are all unreliable??

Who are they? Have you met them? on what basis did they pronounce their fatwas? Please be wary of your sources.
My point is, don't present islam as difficult as it has already been perceived. Islam is very simple to practise, it is all these arab, persian, middle eastern shayks that pronounces fatwas based on long chain of Ghareeb hadiths that make things complicated. The fact that Islam was from these areas doesn't imply that whatever they say is valid.

When a scholar or anyone presents a position, you look at the evidence backing it, You are not supposed to blindly accept a position. The evidences for keeping your father name are numerous unless you just want to sweep it under the carpet .

This is not a new fatwa, there is a consensus on this by most scholars of Islam. Islam is easy but it is also about submission and obedience to the best of your ability.

1 Like

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by ziccoit: 2:58am On Feb 01, 2013
Hope2015: Salam alaykum. I found this topic interesting and i'm compelled to make little contributions. Let us not be confused. There is no sin in a woman using her husband name and cannot be interpreted as meaning the wife was born by the husband. It only means she is the wife of the named husband particularly when the word "Mrs" is attached. If the hadith or quran verses quoted are to be adhere to to the latter then women should use exact fathers' names & not even the father's family name or surname because by direct interpretation, the family name is not the father's exact name.

I think the confusion here is largely due to differences in culture interpretation from arabian to english & other cultures like that of nigeria. The arabs will call a name & use word ibn (male) or bint(female)and attach it to father's name e.g. Hassan ibn Alli meaning Hassan the son of Alli. In English such person will be addressed as Master or Mr Hassan Alli. Where a female is involved, it is Miss Hassanat Alli when she is single but after marriage (say to Mr Umar) it becomes Mrs Hassanat Umar. While the first name with Miss meant Hassanat the daughter of Alli the 2nd name with Mrs meant Hassanat the wife of Umar

Even in the Holy Quran, there are two or more instances where some women like the wives of Firhaoun & Lut were mentioned with their husband's name. (Ashiyah the wife of Firhaoun)

So, i think there is nothing bad in calling women by their husbands' names. Wa lahu aalam

Salaam alaykum

Can you pls provide the evidences from the Hadith and Al-Quran to support your claim?

The Op has done this too.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by rbjimoh: 10:29am On Feb 01, 2013
[color=#006600][/color]
nuorlah: I would like matters like surrogacy brought up as well.

If a boy loses his heritage because he is adopted, it is likely that he would meet his sister and marry her. Another reason why keeping of the biological father's name is important.
. A very critical point you have noticed! So, if a child is adopted at infancy, she end up marrying her biological brother later in her life. The moral principle of life is just in perfect accord with teachings of life
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by maclatunji: 10:48am On Feb 01, 2013
tbaba1234:

The hadiths of the prophet (Sal Allaahu Alaiyhi wa Sallam) are clear...

As regards the Quranic ayat, the relationships are related to a major character in the story being told. Wife of Lot, what benefit would it be to to use her father's name when he is not even involved in the story. The same thing with the wife of noah or pharaoh.

That a women keeps her father's name does not stop her from being your wife. She is still your wife even if she keeps her father's name.

The point is about maintaining the heritage and the lineage.

I do believe you are applying this hadith out of context. Yes, a women should bear her father's name after marriage but to imply that those who don't are seen as "cursed" under Islamic jurisprudence is stretching the imagination a bit.

1 Like

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by mendax: 10:53am On Feb 01, 2013
I think we also need to understand that your LINEAGE is a fundamental right in islam, so any Islamic leadership/government needs to protect your lineage. Hence, we will observe that anything that could confuse your lineage is either outrightly prohibited or stringly discouraged, for example, change of surnames (fdor women and adopted chiildren), extra-marital sex, homosexuality etc.

We need to understand that the family is an important unit and must be protected and every individual must know his rights and responsibilities.

Also, a confused lineage will have serious effects on who the person can or cannot marry, inheritance etc
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by tbaba1234: 10:58am On Feb 01, 2013
maclatunji:

I do believe you are applying this hadith out of context. Yes, a women should bear her father's name after marriage but to imply that those who don't are seen as "cursed" under Islamic jurisprudence is stretching the imagination a bit.

I just quoted the hadith, i am in no position to determine who will be cursed or not, however it does highlight the importance of keeping one's family name.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by mendax: 11:03am On Feb 01, 2013
maclatunji:

Yes, i think there is the need to avoid extremism and always adopt a middle ground. Islam may have a default position on a subject, but then there is always the room for "exceptions" in stringent conditions.

1. Today we have found the widespread practice of women adopting their husbands names and therefore we need to be careful about condemning them to the wrath of God, either because such people may be ignorant or because they may be forced due to prevailing circumstances. I have seen many situations where a woman would be denied travelling with her family because they bear different surnames.

2. people need to be slowly enlightened about the issues. The important thing is not to confuse herself or others about her lineage. If there is no fear of this happening, then we may give such people an "excuse", and not be too quick to judge them. for example, someone mentioned on this thread, the difference in usage between Miss and Mrs, one shows clearly that she is the wife of the intended while the other shows she is not. MOreover, most documents these days clearly ask women to state their Maiden names in addition to surname, because they understand surname may not necssarily mean the fathers name. (Actually the word "surname" has both meanings and hence its confusing in itself)

Lastly giving verdicts is not an easy job and we should be careful the way we give it

1 Like

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by tbaba1234: 11:10am On Feb 01, 2013
^ good contribution!!

Things are not always as black and white.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by ashson: 2:36pm On Feb 01, 2013
Whether you like it or not, as long as you are a muslim, you must bear your father's, married or not. that is the teaching of islam, any good muslim must leave it that way.

1 Like

Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by hadbak: 11:30am On Feb 02, 2013
ashson: Whether you like it or not, as long as you are a muslim, you must bear your father's, married or not. that is the teaching of islam, any good muslim must leave it that way.
period!!
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by zayhal(f): 1:49pm On Feb 10, 2013
I wouldn't agree that a woman bearing her husband's name is changing lineage. In our part of the world, there's no confusion at all. If a woman bears her husband's name, everyone knows it's her husband's and she's married, no one would call her her husband's sister. My conviction is that the quran verse refers to adopted children as this is where confusion may arise in the present or future as regards lineage.

Just like bearing the husband's name is a cultural thing with the oyinbos so is bearing the father's name cultural with the arabs. This brings me to ask, what did people bear in Nigeria before the influence of the oyibos and Islam?

And btw, I bear my father's name but have to use a combination of father's and hubby's for official things.
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by AndroBlaze: 9:41pm On Feb 10, 2013
Interesting.......

But I have a question, based on the Islamic view on creation. Is Hauwa deemed to have been created from Adamu ; and if it does agree with the Judaic version, what surname then would she have borne according to the majority Islamic opinion on here (that women belong to there fathers and not husbands) ?
Re: Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? by hadbak: 2:17am On Feb 11, 2013
^^ Hauwa is Hauwa. Plus u should understand that ha creation differs with ours n canot be compared. Besides there r no verses frm d scriptures that says she was called Hauwa Adamu/somtin. No doubt ha origin is from Adam bt that doesn't means he fathered ha, she was only a part of him from creatn. If there was a need for ha to hav a surname God cud hav made a provisn for it..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Marriage According To The Quran And Sunnah. / Enugu Muslims Celebrating New Mosque (Photos) / Reminder: Purification After Sex (how To Perform Ghusl From Janaba)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.