Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,082 members, 7,825,411 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. (678 Views)

ACN Governors Are Corrupt- General Buhari / Governors Demand For Okonjo-Iweala’s Resignation / Northern Governors Demand Removal Of Rivers Police Commissioner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by Gbawe: 11:11am On May 07, 2012
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/45758-acn-governors-demand-security-system-reforms.html

ACN governors demand security system reforms
By Osagie Otabor, Benin 9 hours 40 minutes ago
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

[img]http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/thumbnail.php?file=Governors_ACN_758637959.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]
Oshiomhole welcoming Fashola (left) ... yesterday. With them are (from left) Dr. Fayemi, Senator Amosun and Senator Ajimobi.

WITH heavy hearts, Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) governors yesterday called for a review of the security system.

The governors noted that the entire security agencies – the military, the police and the State Security Services (SSS) – are under the command of the Federal Government.

Governors Babatunde Fashola, Rauf Aregbesola (Osun), Ibikunle Amosun (Ogun) and Kayode Fayemi (Ekiti) spoke in Benin City, the Edo State capital, during a condolence visit to Edo State Governor Adams Oshiomhole whose private secretary Olaitan Oyerinde was murdered on Friday.

The yet unknown gunmen, who hid under the darkness of night, shot Oyerinde dead in the presence of his wife and children.

[b]The logic of the governors, who are leading advocates of state police, is that if state chief executives were in direct control of the police, crimes, such as murder, armed robbery, assassination and kidnapping, would, to a large extent, be nipped in the bud.

Aregbesola said the killings would not have taken place, if Oshiomhole was in full control of the security machine.

He said the killing confirmed what has been witnessed in the country generally which, in his view, is an indication of failure of governance.

“If you were the Chief Security Officer of this state, in full control of the security apparatus, this would not have happened, no matter how reckless the perpetrators of this heinous crime will want to be. The security situation in our land calls for a reform and reorganisation,” Aregbesola said, adding:

“But the situation we find ourselves in this country is that governors are merely called chief security officers of their various states, while the federal government is in direct control.”[/b]

Aregbesola expressed dismay that politics, which Nigeria’s founding fathers based on issues had been reduced “to miserable factional and base materialism by those who have nothing else to offer than their own greed”.

Oshiomhole described the late Oyerinde as a man with a passion for public service and a good sense of humour.

He said: “He knows the way my mind work. When I want to write a concrete letter, he knows how to do it even though he wasn’t my secretary. When I was leaving NLC, I looked around and said ‘I need someone who understands me’. I said, ‘you (Olaitan) join me for us to know this thing they call governance; if how we see outside is how it is still going to be’. That was how I brought him in.”

Oshiomhole, who regretted that no member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had been invited for questioning over the killings, said he has to look for other options to protect the people of the state because he cannot rely on the security apparatus.

Oshiomhole also warned that if after 12 days the police failed to find the killers, he would find them and deal with them even though he does not believe in blood for blood.

“We have the capacity to cage the godfather and return blood for blood. We won’t just go and sleep. We have to resolve how we want to run it and I am not ready to be looking as if my tenure is at the mercy of anybody. Only the people of Edo State can determine that,” he said.

Oshiomhole also disclosed that “the godfather – he did not name him – “had been using President Goodluck Jonathan’s name to campaign, telling the people that he has the President’s backing to use any means to win the governorship election.

Oshiomhole said he had enough security report indicting the “godfather” for the killings and attempted killings in the last two weeks.

He called on “the Abuja Judge’’ to call “the godfather” to order “or we will call him to order”.

Fashola, who described Oyerinde’s murder as “shocking” and “cruel”, expressed sadness that though elections were meant to be about developmental issues and a contest of ideas, some politicians have turned it into a mindless orgy of violence.

He said: “We have come to sympathise with you and the people of Edo State over this very sad and unfortunate incident. We have come to express our solidarity and also to condemn the spate of violence that is manifesting in the run up to the election in this state.

“We have come to commiserate with you and to urge you to continue with the good work that you’ve been doing in this state since you took office. We also wish to convey our sympathy to the family of your aide who was the victim of this incident.”

Praying that God would comfort the people of Edo State, especially the family of the deceased, Fashola said: “We are saddened by what we see but we urge you to remain focused; be a man of peace; continue to be a man of ideas.”

He enjoined Oshiomhole “to keep to the track of peace, a track of democracy and a track of service to the people of Edo State which you have been known to tread”. Although the period could be very challenging “but we believe that if you remain focused, the challenges will create opportunities for the people of Edo State”, Fashola said.

The Governors also visited the widow and children of the late Oyerinde.

Fayemi expressed shock at the murder, saying the late Oyerinde was a link between him and Oshiomhole. Anytime he could not reach his Edo State counterpart, he would get in touch with the late Oyerinde for any information he needed, he said.

He described the late Oyerinde as a very articulate and hardworking person, pointing out that while working in Edo State, he was also monitoring events in other ACN states “just to ensure that the developments which have become the watchword of our various administrations are not being compromised”.

“We know we cannot query God, but we have the right to ask ourselves why bad things happen to good people. Olaitan was a principled fighter; I have known him since our days in the Labour movement and I have related with him just as all of our colleagues have in one way or the other related with him,” the governor said.

Condoling the late Oyerinde’s wife, Fayemi said: “We will not be deterred. What I want to say to our sister and the children and the rest of the family members is that God, in his infinite mercy, will give her the courage, the fortitude in these difficult times, to trudge on as father and mother now to the children.”

Assuring Oshiomhole of the support of the ACN governors for the family of the late Oyerinde, Fayemi said: “But, like in our own way, we know Olaitan was like a son to you and among ourselves, as your colleagues in this struggle for freedom and justice and democracy for our people, we have also collectively decided that we will do our own quota in supporting the family of our fallen comrade and we want to reassure them that Comrade Olaitan did not and will not die in vain.

“For those who think they have the licence and the freedom to destroy life, let us assure them that they will not get away with this particular murder because we are convinced beyond any reasonable doubt that this is not mere armed robbery attack.”

Oshiomhole thanked his colleagues for the visit, saying it had further strengthened him to continue in his avowed service to the people of Edo State knowing that he is not alone.

Throwing more light on the death of his aide, Oshiomhole said the incident was part of a well articulated plan by the opposition who, according to him, met in the house of a leading politician with their candidate and two others in attendance.

According to him, the meeting reviewed the situation in the state and, knowing that the coming election would not be in their favour, decided to cause confusion through accidents and assassinations of his close aides that would look like armed robbery. He said they also planned to kidnap people.

Oshiomhole, who said he invited the Commissioner of Police and gave him a letter detailing the plan, noted that Oyerinde’s murder came 48 hours after his meeting with the Police Commissioner, adding: “So, there is no doubt that Olaitan was assassinated.”

Describing the deceased as an intelligent and committed man with a passion for public service, Oshiomhole said although people were eager to react to the murder, he advised them to keep calm, adding: “I like to fight electoral battle but not to shed the blood of innocent people. I do not want to play the game their way; otherwise, they will brand us the same.”

“I have told the Police that if it becomes so clear that we cannot rely on them for maintaining adequate security in the state, we have to look at other options because we have to protect ourselves.

“We are giving the police time. We will not just go to sleep. If they do not find the killers, we will find them and when we do, we will have to deal with them. We will not leave them like that.”
Re: ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by Demdem(m): 11:32am On May 07, 2012
This whole country needs to be reformed and restructured. Not only the security system
Re: ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:02pm On May 07, 2012
Not to discount the seriousness of the need for State-Controlled Security especially since it has been evident for the past 50 years that the National Police Force is severely handicapped in terms of Intelligence, Personnel, Equipment, Education and Training and most importantly Social independence and Discipline..

not until i read through to the end I was almost going to give praise to this "Progressive Step" by ACN Governors, but I strongly foresee a situation where a State-Controlled Police (given our history of poor transparency and violence even at State-levels) will turn this into a private "grudge-settlement" force. just imagine the comments coming from Oshiomole and Aregbesola. it is saddening that at such a level they cannot save the citizens the psychological trauma of their Political conflicts

Oshiomhole, who regretted that no member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had been invited for questioning over the killing
Aregbesola expressed dismay that politics, which Nigeria’s founding fathers based on issues had been reduced “to miserable factional and base materialism by those who have nothing else to offer than their own greed”.
I am pleasantly surprised coming from Aregbesola, one who is quick to raise fears of non-Muslims in his state given the delicate nature of ethnic and religious relations in the country .
Oshiomole more than anyone else is displaying a level of un-professionalism that betrays his outspoken claims to good governance (perhaps this is what is standard in Nigeria these days)

Given comments of Bros Aregbs and Comrade Oshiomole I can see where this is leading to - Having a State Police is good but in the hands of Politicians who cannot differentiate between the needs of their citizens and there personal political ambitions, it is a dangerous path to thread.
Re: ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by Gbawe: 12:02pm On May 07, 2012
Demdem: This whole country needs to be reformed and restructured. Not only the security system

Indeed. Security has only being propelled to the forefront because of events in the past year to date.
Re: ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by Gbawe: 12:12pm On May 07, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt: Not to discount the seriousness of the need for State-Controlled Security especially since it has been evident for the past 50 years that the National Police Force is severely handicapped in terms of Intelligence, Personnel, Equipment, Education and Training and most importantly Social independence and Discipline..

not until i read through to the end I was almost going to give praise to this "Progressive Step" by ACN Governors, but I strongly foresee a situation where a State-Controlled Police (given our history of poor transparency and violence even at State-levels) will turn this into a private "grudge-settlement" force. just imagine the comments coming from Oshiomole and Aregbesola. it is saddening that at such a level they cannot save the citizens the psychological trauma of their Political conflicts

I am pleasantly surprised coming from Aregbesola, one who is quick to raise fears of non-Muslims in his state given the delicate nature of ethnic and religious relations in the country .
Oshiomole more than anyone else is displaying a level of un-professionalism that betrays his outspoken claims to good governance (perhaps this is what is standard in Nigeria these days)

Given comments of Bros Aregbs and Comrade Oshiomole I can see where this is leading to - Having a State Police is good but in the hands of Politicians who cannot differentiate between the needs of their citizens and there personal political ambitions, it is a dangerous path to thread.

Look, perhaps Oshiomhole should be more circumspect in speech (and I have said this elsewhere) even if he has lost a "son" but there is nothing wrong with what Aregbesola said which is an expression of his frustration that greedy men , at the federal level, who sought power for the sake of it alone and not because of a genuine committment to making a difference, are really impeding the progress of everyone.We all say the same thing here daily.

There is always a silly excuse at the federal level for the right things not being done.

They hide behind the constitution to say "leaner Government not possible" when me and you know man should not be a slave to amendable laws he created.

They say Nigeria "not ripe" for State policing when what we currently have is perhaps one of the poorest examples of a Police force on Earth.

They are already pointing to "cabals and saboteurs" in the power sector despite promising before the election that they had the capacity to deliver.

Can you obviously not see what Aregbesola is getting at? In any case merge what you quote with what is written below and it is clear Aregbesola is on point. You cannot , if you really believe in State Police, just discount the idea because of the utterance of two Governors. That is rather flimsy and not really a tenable reason for rejecting this idea, like true federalism, which must be pushed forward ASAP (if we are a serious nation) so that every State and region can develop according to its own talent, endowment and zeal instead of what we have now whereby the centre is a stumbling block to the progress of the entire nation.

“But the situation we find ourselves in this country is that governors are merely called chief security officers of their various states, while the federal government is in direct control.”
Re: ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by jason123: 12:13pm On May 07, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt: Not to discount the seriousness of the need for State-Controlled Security especially since it has been evident for the past 50 years that the National Police Force is severely handicapped in terms of Intelligence, Personnel, Equipment, Education and Training and most importantly Social independence and Discipline..

Agreed!
Re: ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by Gbawe: 12:29pm On May 07, 2012
jason123:

Agreed!

Let me ask you a question. What can be worse than what we have now i.e a police force failing the entire Nation badly and also overtly being used partisanly as an arm of the PDP?

The submission of lagerwhenindoubt is not tenable and, IMO, panders to gradualism. What we have on ground is exactly what he highlights that you agree with. The NPF is hopelessly partisan and ludicrously inneffective. I don't think many Nigerians, as a step in the right direction, will mind that a State Police force is politically partisan to the Governor yet very effective in the aspect that matters most to the vast majority and is indeed the core function of any police force i.e the protection of lives and property. It is all about evolution and making the brave first steps that birth change and a more effective way of doing things. Even in established Western Countries with State/regional Police forces, I am sure politicians in the dark past used Police chief partisanly.

We have a National police force currently failing on all counts. Nothing could be worse and nothing can signify a need for change more than that.
Re: ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 12:36pm On May 07, 2012
@Gbawe. I am not discounting the idea because of the errant comments of Oshiomole and Aregbesola. I am discounting it because at least 90% of our leadership will not do right when a State Police is instituted in Nigeria. Let me give you an example. I consult for a foreign mission in Ikoyi and one morning a Lagos State Commissioner was visiting apparently parked in an area reserved for staff. I was just parking my vehicle as he prepared to leave. as i opened my door, it bumped into his Range-Rover. before i could come out to apologize the Commissioner himself stepped out abusing me profusely. his security detail (hand to his pistol_)was already inching towards me in a violent stance, it took the intervention of the diplomatic staff and security present to stop them from dragging me off to some undisclosed location to be dealt with (that much he said in his own words). now this is just a "mere" commissioner utilizing the Federal-sponsored Security into committing a civil-rights crime over a bump to his Range-Rover SUV. While I won't mention his name, he ranks high on my list of officers who continue to dent BFR's /ACN's achievements in Lagos State.
We cannot escape the FACT that our Politicians and indeed our Democracy does not have a proper framework for an Territorial Police Force (Yet) and until i see basic foundations (in form of reforms) in that area. I am strongly opposed to a State Police. I only re-stated my respect for LASTMA in recent times (i don't know what BRF did but they have begun to demonstrate some level of decorum and tact in dealing with social issues) even KAI continue to break the boundaries of Civil rights/Common-sense on every occasion. Imagine if they had guns.
Re: ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by jason123: 12:41pm On May 07, 2012
Gbawe:

Let me ask you a question. What can be worse than what we have now i.e a police force failing the entire Nation badly and also overtly being used partisanly as an arm of the PDP?

The submission of lagerwhenindoubt is not tenable and, IMO, panders to gradualism. What we have on ground is exactly what he highlights that you agree with. The NPF is hopelessly partisan and ludicrously inneffective. I don't think many Nigerians, as a step in the right direction, will mind that a State Police force is politically partisan to the Governor yet very effective in the aspect that matters most to the vast majority and is indeed the core function of any police force i.e the protection of lives and property. It is all about evolution and making the brave first steps that birth change and a more effective way of doing things. Even in established Western Countries with State/regional Police forces, I am sure politicians in the dark past used Police chief partisanly.

We have a National police force currently failing on all counts. Nothing could be worse and nothing can signify a need for change more than that.

Yes Mr. Gbawe, it will be worse. Politics is local especially the SS and SW politics. I can't imagine state policing with Tinubu or Ibori or Sylva or Anenih there. It does not take an Einstein to know that such powers in the hands of certain people would mean death to opposition politics. This is a risk most Nigerians are unwilling to take. Nigerians are not yet mature to handle such.
Re: ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by Kilode1: 12:51pm On May 07, 2012
That politics is local is one of the MAIN reasons for a local police or State police.

I cannot see the reason why FG controlled police is less dangerous than State or LG controlled ones. We've had this argument several times on NL.

Maybe I should find my old post on the issue and repost here. I'm yet to see any strong argument against State or even LG controlled police here.
Re: ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by Gbawe: 1:04pm On May 07, 2012
jason123:

Yes Mr. Gbawe, it will be worse. Politics is local especially the SS and SW politics. I can't imagine state policing with Tinubu or Ibori or Sylva or Anenih there. It does not take an Einstein to know that such powers in the hands of certain people would mean death to opposition politics. This is a risk most Nigerians are unwilling to take. Nigerians are not yet mature to handle such.

You keep ignoring what is terribly obvious. You don't make decisions based on Police reforms according to Politics or out of concern for what is best for Politicians and the elites. You start, first and foremost, by looking at what is best for those who , by far, constitute the majority vis-avis the protection of lives and property !!!

The NPF is currently failing badly at protecting millions of Nigerians and it seems rather high-handed for anyone to suggest a valid reason against State police is the notion Governors may use their Police force against political opponent. This totally ignores the core brief of the duty of any Police force i.e the Protection of lives and property.

This is an insiduous problem that has gained hold in the minds of most Nigerians who are comparatively well-off or comfortable. We tend to forget that issues must remain about the millions of ordinary Nigerians and not the the small minority who form the elite and political class. This is the mentality that has given rise to 4 Police officers being deployed to gaurd one Politician or private businessman. Your argument just implies that the needs of Politicians takes precedence above those of ordinary Nigerians.

In fact your argument proves eloquently why good/developmental things never happens for Nigeria. Everyone is too busy playing politics with every issue to the extent we can no longer tell we are doing it.
Re: ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by Kilode1: 1:31pm On May 07, 2012
Gbawe:

You keep ignoring what is terribly obvious. You don't make decisions based on Police reforms according to Politics. You start, first and foremost, by looking at what is best for those who , by far, constitute the majority vis-avis the protection of lives and property !!!

The NPF is currently failing badly at protecting millions of Nigerians and it seems rather high-handed for anyone to suggest a valid reason against State police is the notion Governors may use their Police force against political opponent. This totally ignores the core brief of the duty of any Police force i.e the Protection of lives and property.

This is an insiduous problem that has gained hold in the minds of most Nigerians who are comparatively well-off or comfortable. We tend to forget that issues must remain about the millions of ordinary Nigerians and not the the small minority who form the elite and political class. This is the mentality that has given rise to 4 Police officers being deployed to gaurd one Politician or private businessman. Your argument just implies that the needs of Politicians takes precedence above those of ordinary Nigerians.

Very true. Good point. Politically motivated killings or crimes constitute what % of crimes? 1%? 5%? let's even say 20%, which is probably impossible. What about the rest?

We can fix the issue of people like Tinubu, Anenih, Ibori and co by having elected police chiefs, BTW you can't solve the problem 100%, the goal should be to reduce it. The party in power will still have some influence, best thing is to keep reforming the system towards perfection, not to sit down and assume our people are too immature.

Even the argument that local politicians will use the Police for vendetta ignores the current reality where federal affliated Politicians and political parties use the same federally controlled police to perpetrate all kinds of evil.

That reality negates that argument against state police and leaves us with the issue Gbawe raised about other types of crimes.

Jason, there is no reason why our police chiefs should not be locally controlled, locally funded and locally recruited, no reason why someone unfamiliar with my community and controlled by people 2000KM from us should be responsible for the safety of my family and property. It makes no sense. I don't need my police officers to call Abuja before they investigate a crime on my street.

We can have a provision for a federal police for inter-state crimes or crimes beyond the capacity of local police, but not everything like we currently have.

All these brings us to the issue of funding, revenue and our pseudo-federalism where Abuja determines how much tax you can keep for your local economy or how much of your resources you can exploit and use solely for your own benefit. It is too stifling really.

edit.
Re: ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:39pm On May 07, 2012
@posters - let us restate the issues summarily. I may be missing the point or looking at it from the wrong angle
1: Federal provisions for the National Police Force is critically inadequate for Nigeria (always has been)
2: The Constitution does not provide for a State-run Police Force
3: Security situation across beyond National, Civil and "Political" themes is dire
4: The issue has been on the minds of Nigerians (ordinary and well-to-do) for over a decade. the spate of political killings has only shown it up to the political leadership that it needs to be taken seriously.

As is painfully obvious @Gbawe, I agree that the needs of majority are far more important than unsavory Politics and Bad Politicians. I prefer a gradualist approach simply for the reason that good intentions must be accompanied with demonstrable initiatives. An all-out lobbying for a State Police without the workings of an existing plan/infrastructure is too risky to stake the lives of Nigerians on. (I don't expect that the existing impoverished Police force will be converted to State Police.) If the constitutional platform to include a State-Police in the Security provisions of the Constitution is still a distant mirage, why not start by establishing the beginnings of a State-run Security Agency (like Private Security firms do) with World-Class Training in Crime Detection, Forensics Analysis, Civil defense/Social interaction, Firearms, driving etc. It can start with each LG funding a group of qualified individuals into the program and I am fairly confident that Lagos state budget can accommodate training for at least 500 individuals all-year round. during this time a strategy to lobby for its inclusion in the constitution can be worked at national levels. what better time than now when it is sticking out like a sore thumb
Re: ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by Nobody: 3:35pm On May 07, 2012
State Police is a good in several aspects, you get police who grew up in an area they understand well and people also know them fairly well.
It creates a comfortable image for the Police who have lacked public confidence for a while now and crime can be better addressed quickly instead of waiting for deployments of more Police from Federal level.
The FG will still need to assist with Funding and Logistics but states must also find a way to fund their own Police properly
Re: ACN Governors Demand Security System Reforms. by Kilode1: 3:52pm On May 07, 2012
lagerwhenindoubt: @If the constitutional platform to include a State-Police in the Security provisions of the Constitution is still a distant mirage, why not start by establishing the beginnings of a State-run Security Agency (like Private Security firms do) with World-Class Training in Crime Detection, Forensics Analysis, Civil defense/Social interaction, Firearms, driving etc.

It can start with each LG funding a group of qualified individuals into the program and I am fairly confident that Lagos state budget can accommodate training for at least 500 individuals all-year round. during this time a strategy to lobby for its inclusion in the constitution can be worked at national levels. what better time than now when it is sticking out like a sore thumb

Your intentions are good, that much is clear.

But how do you expect states to do this when the constitution has no provision for state Police? Under which department are we going to put this?

A recent example: Few weeks ago we all saw the uproar created by PDP in Osun when they accused the Governor of keeping Private security agents while preventing the SSS from following him around. They argued that SSS should have uncontrolled access to his activities and movement and he's not allowed to create a parallel police. see?

If we don't radically change that law, your plan here cannot work.

You see, this is why I detest gradualism:

When you are faced with a radically broken system such as the one we have in Nigeria, gradualism cannot fix our situation, radical changes will.

That is why we need to ensure we vote in people who are ready and willing to shake up the system, not gradualists and merchants of continuity.

(1) (Reply)

Higlights Of World War II (slideshow) / Nigeria Reveals Algerian Groups Fund 'new' Boko Haram / List Of Nigerian Commercial Planes And Their Ages.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.