Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,667 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:49 PM

Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month (8591 Views)

Onitsha Port: Anambra Shippers Task FG / Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination / Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by bestview: 8:18pm On May 07, 2012
Onitsha Port set ahead of commissioning by FG next month.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by bestview: 8:19pm On May 07, 2012
da bomb. cool
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by PointB: 8:30pm On May 07, 2012
Looks nice.

Let's hope SE businessmen take advantage of the opportunity this underutilized river transport channel presents with the commissioning of the port.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Onlytruth(m): 11:20pm On May 07, 2012
Great! A great start. Let it be put to use immediately.
I couldn't help notice the Onitsha skyline from behind the pictures. That is the Onitsha that I know! cool
This port should swing into action, next we get that international airport!

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by aljharem(m): 12:00am On May 08, 2012
Nice, I pray God spare our lifes to see it.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by EkoIle1: 12:06am On May 08, 2012
lol @ forklift and warehouse.

I guess it's big enough to offload yam and cassava to store inside warehouse.

SMH....

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by aljharem(m): 12:09am On May 08, 2012
Eko Ile: lol @ forklift and warehouse.

SMH....

Forklift is used for lifting the cargos

Warehouse is used for temporary storage.

Haba Eko ile, e baje gan sir
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by edoyad(m): 12:11am On May 08, 2012
Nice, I love to see this kind of progress. Now Lets see how the port managers will build patronage

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by aljharem(m): 12:13am On May 08, 2012
edoyad: Nice, I love to see this kind of progress. Now Lets see how the port managers will build patronage

You can say that again. Things like this makes my heart glad. Next is an international airport to serve Anambra
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Onlytruth(m): 12:20am On May 08, 2012
Eko Ile: lol @ forklift and warehouse.

SMH....

It is not forklift you cave man! It is called mobile CRANE, and it is used in ports to offload containers.
Na wa for this type of illiteracy and "bushmanism". sad
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by aljharem(m): 12:22am On May 08, 2012
Onlytruth:

It is not forklift you cave man! It is called mobile CRANE, and it is used in ports to offload containers.
grin grin grin grin no kill me o !!!!!!!!!!!!

i don die !!!!!! [size=4pt]even me make same mistake lipsrsealed[/size]
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Onlytruth(m): 12:23am On May 08, 2012
BTW @ OP, did you take those pictures yourself? If you did, I want to say a huge THANK YOU!
A lot of our folks come here to talk without any picture evidence.
Can you get us more pictures of Onitsha?
The skyline behind the warehouse is what I know Onitsha for.
Thanks in advance!
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Beaf: 12:47am On May 08, 2012
I hope there is more land available around it for future expansion?
That port will be way too small by the time the dredging of the rivers is completed from Lokoja to Warri on the one hand and Warri to Lagos on the other.

Good start anyway.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by PROUDIGBO(m): 1:50am On May 08, 2012
Beaf: I hope there is more land available around it for future expansion?
That port will be way too small by the time the dredging of the rivers is completed from Lokoja to Warri on the one hand and Warri to Lagos on the other.

Good start anyway.

^^^I remember Senator Umar (Minister of Transport) saying a few weeks ago that they moved the commissioning date from last year to May b'cos they wanted to increase the stacking area, as what was already constructed wasn't big enough for the expected traffic the Port will witness. So i'm guessing that pic may be a bit old, as the Port size hasn't changed from older pics.

The Anambra Governor (and other South East Governors) should be proactive (and not just sit on their arse in their aircon offices) by thinking of support services and facilities that would enable the Port run at optimum capacity. Facilities like a railway linking the Port with Nnewi, Enugu (etc); wide access roads; and maybe a Trailer park nearby.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by OgidiBoy(m): 2:08am On May 08, 2012
Onlytruth:

LMAO!!!!

Is it not a big same that in 2012 some ppl still don't know the difference between a forklift and a mobile crane
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by EkoIle1: 2:13am On May 08, 2012
Onlytruth:

Ode, this clown actualay thought I no sabe crane. Supo, I dey clown your canoe port with forklift and produce warehouse.

lmao? Seriously, do you really need a crane to off load yam tubers and cassava to store inside warehouse? Can't y'all roll up your sleeves and comot produce from canoe and store inside the warehouse?
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by dayokanu(m): 2:38am On May 08, 2012
at least the SE has a port now.

Maybe its time for those in the SW to return home and actually invest in their villages
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Beaf: 2:39am On May 08, 2012
Most times you have to wonder if Eko Ile was born with a plethora of mental defects.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by T9ksy(m): 2:47am On May 08, 2012
dayokanu: at least the SE has a port now.

Maybe its time for those in the SW to return home and actually invest in their villages

You wanna bet? IMHO, fat chance.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by GAR3TH(m): 2:48am On May 08, 2012
I'm still confused about this river port, as in why it has massive cranes when it has little to no cargo dock. and why there is a covered warehouse that takes up most of the lot.

To me this looks like a river port that specializes in the transportation of agricultural goods or Raw earth materials. Since there is no way they can fit large quantities of commercial shipping cargo containers on that dock.

Which makes sense since argicultural state like Kogi, Edo and Benue are in the vicinity.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by EkoIle1: 4:00am On May 08, 2012
Ok make una no vex o.

Nice village development sha.

lmao
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by aljharem(m): 4:01am On May 08, 2012
Eko Ile: Ok make una no vex o.

Nice village development sha.

lmao
cool cool cool Nice eko ile,
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by kettykin: 5:04am On May 08, 2012
i keep hearing some people talk of igbos in sw i dont know if this mistake is deliberate because i only know of so many igbos in lagos and not in ,ondo,oyo,ogun.
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by kettykin: 5:11am On May 08, 2012
igbos in lagos should have in view a way to maximise the onitsha port for their business to and from overseas and around nigeria. Like somebody suggested all agricultural produce to and from the north should be done through the lokoja port and onitsha port. I see the water ways playing a better role than the railways
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by chino11(m): 2:49pm On May 09, 2012
Good works
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by achi4u(m): 3:18pm On May 09, 2012
little xpansion.
those castigating this project are poor in the heart and a slave to the future but i pray you change and accept CHANGE
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by amosy007: 3:21pm On May 09, 2012
dayokanu: at least the SE has a port now.

yes o... We need to decongest lagos
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by amosy007: 3:24pm On May 09, 2012
kettykin: i keep hearing some people talk of igbos in sw i dont know if this mistake is deliberate because i only know of so many igbos in lagos and not in ,ondo,oyo,ogun.
Then u must be living in either somalia or iraq grin
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by otokx(m): 3:28pm On May 09, 2012
so only 2 buildings and 2 movable cranes constitute a port
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by kostadinis: 4:50pm On May 09, 2012
Ladies and Gentlemen:

There is nothing like a SEAPORT in the actual sense. Almost all what we call SEAPORTS all over the world are actually not on the sea proper but located on bodies of water that leads to the sea. The Lagos ports for example, were not built on the atlantic ocean, but are located on the lagoon that leads to the sea kilometers away. Port Harcourt port is on Bonny river 55 km to the ocean, Warri port is on a river 60km to the Ocean, Calabar is 55 km to the ocean and Onitsha is 135 km to the ocean.

One of the most popular and prestigious ports in the world with the longest wharf is Port Of new orleans in the US, it is located 177 km to the gulf of Mexico (ocean). It's built on Missisipi river. By definition, that of Onitsha is a seaport because it is built on a body of water that leads direct to the sea like any other seaport in the world.

The most important thing is for it to commence operation. When activities picks up, wharf facilities could be extended upwards to adjoining places like Anam or downwards to adjoining places like odekpe, okpoko and Atani. It could be expanded to be as large as any seaport in the world. It is only the activities that will tell.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Demdem(m): 4:58pm On May 09, 2012
GAR3TH: I'm still confused about this river port, as in why it has massive cranes when it has little to no cargo dock. and why there is a covered warehouse that takes up most of the lot.

To me this looks like a river port that specializes in the transportation of agricultural goods or Raw earth materials. Since there is no way they can fit large quantities of commercial shipping cargo containers on that dock.

Which makes sense since argicultural state like Kogi, Edo and Benue are in the vicinity.

good observation
Re: Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month by Nobody: 5:00pm On May 09, 2012
PointB: Looks nice.

Let's hope SE businessmen take advantage of the opportunity this underutilized river transport channel presents with the commissioning of the port.
Hope ke, obviously you don't know Ibo businessmen, they will over utilize it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Balancing The Budget: Kano-State Vs FG / Nigeria May Lose N985b In Oil Revenue This Year -pwc / Profile Of Peter Obi, Former Governor Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.