Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu (8836 Views)

Rashidi Yekini: Forgotten In Nigeria, Remembered In Portugal (PHOTO) / Is Emmanuel Emenike The Heir To Rashidi Yekini / Rashidi Yekini Is Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Nobody: 8:56am On May 08, 2012
Former Super Eagles captain, Nwankwo Kanu has tasked Nigerians to strive to honour their heroes when they are still alive instead of crying ‘out their eyes’ and making eulogies at their death.

Nwankwo who said he was still in shock over the death of former Nigeria international, Rashidi Yekini. asked, “where was everybody when the man needed help?

Those who gave everything in the service of their country must be accorded the desired attention at all times. Yekini suffered and died like an orphan. Today, everybody is lamenting over his death. Nobody cared for him while he was alive and suffering,”

Kanu who has been chosen by the International Olympic Committee as one of the 2012 Olympic torch bearers in London said he was sad at the death of Yekini whom he said was their source of inspiration as young players in the national team.

“Although one does not pray for such things to happen. The question is, today it is Yekini, who’ll be next?”
Mr Spokesman or Spokesperson,

Source

3 Likes

Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Demdem(m): 4:31pm On May 08, 2012
i was dissapointed when someone told me that the Buildings promised these guys after their triumph in 1994 hasnt been delivered to them. So unfortunate.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Joey82(m): 4:34pm On May 08, 2012
and what did kanu in his capacity do to help yekini, at least yekini was an inspiration to him.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 08, 2012
Demdem: i was dissapointed when someone told me that the Buildings promised these guys after their triumph in 1994 hasnt been delivered to them. So unfortunate.

Someone must av dashed away with the monies!
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Dhebisey: 4:37pm On May 08, 2012
Nigeria, wot a country who is nt worth fighting for, Nigeria dnt honour heroes yl alive bt wuld b honoured at death. Yekini really surffered b4 he died.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by chardino(m): 4:39pm On May 08, 2012
dn't mind them......the issue is that we alway say dat some day thing will change we're stll yet to see that day
or na another Generation go enjoy all this our sacrifice........
God Help us... shocked
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by executinal(m): 4:39pm On May 08, 2012
Joey82: and what did kanu in his capacity do to help yekini, at least yekini was an inspiration to him.
So he should mention what he did to Yekini?? angry

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by honeric01(m): 4:40pm On May 08, 2012
In Nigeria, only looticians are honored.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by cesil92: 4:51pm On May 08, 2012
Good talk from Kanu Nwankwo, Kanu in turn please what did you do to help him (Yekini) when he was alive? Since you are now offering a good advice now that he Yekini is dead.

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by ZUBY77(m): 5:02pm On May 08, 2012
Kanu Nwankwo should learn to shutp up. Yekine was in the same line of business with him. Kanu should have been the one to help yekini because he has money. Who is he pointing at now. Does he think that Nigerians are stupid?
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by crusufixo(m): 5:03pm On May 08, 2012
cesil92: Good talk from Kanu Nwankwo, Kanu in turn please what did you do to help him (Yekini) when he was alive? Since you are now offering a good advice now that he Yekini is dead.

Kanu gave his own bit back to the society through his heart foundation.At least he has saved some lives. I think your question should be directed to NFF ( Those selfish good for nothing peeps).

Yekini, I thank you for great exploits. Your goal(Nigeria's first world cup goal) was the first goal i saw as a kid. Rest In Peace great one !!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by wandeay: 5:07pm On May 08, 2012
at least kanu alone is capable 2 take care of him, why has he not do dat, also, d family should hav cried out in the 1st place, ther are lot of nigerians who will help, anyway, e don pass b dat, take care of his family and train his children
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by sylve11: 5:10pm On May 08, 2012
All i can say is R.I.P Yekin Rasheed, will live to remember u and all ur good work. sad sad sad cool
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by achi4u(m): 5:14pm On May 08, 2012
kanu Nwankwo may not b away of Yekini's conditions...
kanu has a heart human being more our foliticians.

dear RIP
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by HighChief4(m): 5:17pm On May 08, 2012
Why is everyone here asking Kanu to help him, am sure he must have helped him somehow. The whole blame should be channeled to the stupid govt of Nigeria who does not care for their heroes, rather they are busy thinking of the safe way to siphone money abroad. Its a pity Yekini died the way he died, Nigeria will not even name a stadium after him, but they will name it after one useless politician that never watched football all his life. Honestly Nigeria is a mess

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by noiseless: 5:17pm On May 08, 2012
Kanu will never make public what he did for for his mate Yekini, if he did something for something. But what a shame that Yekini is one of the few Yorubas gave us real joy with everything they had without looking for selfish interest first. May you rest in peace RASHIDI YEKINI and sorry that your country didnt even deserve what you gave to it, but the poor masses who apreciate your services to them really deserve them. RIP BIG STAR.

1 Like

Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by greatlee(m): 5:17pm On May 08, 2012
cesil92: Good talk from Kanu Nwankwo, Kanu in turn please what did you do to help him (Yekini) when he was alive? Since you are now offering a good advice now that he Yekini is dead.

Yes, and what is he doing to help others that in the shoes of yekini now, or is he waiting for them to die as well?
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Nobody: 5:19pm On May 08, 2012
but, sir what really happened to all the money they ever made? Did they mis managed it? Just wondered.
At times when i see some of this artists playing big with luxury things of life , i always think do they really think of their future? Just like what is happening to majek fashek? Well it is not my problem
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by norrisman: 5:26pm On May 08, 2012
May Yekini's soul RIP. But was he really a hero? He made lots of people happy playing football and made some considerable wealth along the way as well.

I do not mind him being honoured for his footballing achievements but I am completely against the government giving any favourable assistance to famous footballers, musicians e.t.c over disabled soldiers, families of policemen killed in active service, retired teachers e.t.c.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Nobody: 5:30pm On May 08, 2012
an inlaw of mine actually told me that he often saw yekini begging for alms and roaming the streets in abidjan, ivory coast. u cant blame kanu, he must have helped the guy wen he was alive. shame on our leaders! they need to be spat on!
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by MeGaStReEt: 5:37pm On May 08, 2012
Let the blame game begin
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Jibabs2(m): 5:51pm On May 08, 2012
executinal:
So he should mention what he did to Yekini?? angry
yes
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Nobody: 5:55pm On May 08, 2012
Are Nigerians really that slow at reasoning? Imagine people asking what Kanu did to help Yekini. Typical poor Nigerian mentality - I am poor because my brother did not send me to school or because they did not help me - little minds.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by gbadexy(m): 6:36pm On May 08, 2012
I'm sure that kano was not aware of yekini's condition.whether he would have helped if made aware or if asked directly is what is not certain
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by noiseless: 6:37pm On May 08, 2012
Why do people always have to look for someone else to blame, yet let the murderous system that is suposed to put in place neccesities for the people in a situation like this off the hook, why attacking kanu, even if he gives everything he has, it's not gonna solve the ocean of deadly traps your government has brought upon you since decades after decades? This mindset shows how ignorant people can be programmed to be by the system. With this mindset the government wont even bother to take up it's responsibilities because it is certain that when next things such as this happens people like you will certain lay the blames on Kanu.
greatlee:

Yes, and what is he doing to help others that in the shoes of yekini now, or is he waiting for them to die as well?
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Ninilowo(m): 6:40pm On May 08, 2012
Joey82: and what did kanu in his capacity do to help yekini, at least yekini was an inspiration to him.
I wonder.
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by solayemi(m): 6:40pm On May 08, 2012
See black brains talking/commenting. What happened to the money he made as a footballer? How many houses has d brazilian gvmt built 4 pele or how many times has d french gvmt paid zidane's hospital bills. These guys made themselves relevant after their careers,that is why we still see them 2day and not because their govmnts put them where they are today. What did he do with his life and wealth after soccer?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 08, 2012
MeGaStReEt: Let the blame game begin
lmao! we sabi blame no be small!
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by WhoIGoAsk: 6:43pm On May 08, 2012
NFA una dey hear?
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by WhoIGoAsk: 6:44pm On May 08, 2012
NFA, FG
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by muritalayinusa: 6:48pm On May 08, 2012
Anyway,God will jurge them all,I mean our leader,even the so call the nfa wat are they doing when he was alive,a friend told me when his team went to liberty staadium they saw yekini draging for limca with them,this is too much for him,anyway he has gone to rest and may his gentle soul rest in peace amen.from olaosebikan
Re: Why Are We Shedding Tears For Yekini? – Kanu by juman(m): 6:49pm On May 08, 2012
"Anyone who died for nigeria in any damn circumstance committed suicide and died in vain!"

(a comment)
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/05/why-are-we-shedding-tears-for-yekini-kanu/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wrestlemania XXVIII: John Cena Vs The Rock (rock Won) / Bet9ja Booking For Today / AFCON Final: Cameroon Beat Egypt 2-1 To Win African Cup Of Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.