Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,943 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:21 PM

Why Do People Get Married? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do People Get Married? (3045 Views)

Can I Get Married With This Income In Abeokuta, Ogun State? / Can't We Just Get Married Without Involving Families? / Real Reasons People Get Married But Won't Tell Their Partners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Get Married? by ezicat: 5:48pm On May 09, 2012
I doubt it's something most actively think about. It's almost like it's part of societal's pysche - like crawling then walking as children. Except the latter two have clear advantages. Does marriage?
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by dayokanu(m): 6:41pm On May 09, 2012
To kpekus legally

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Get Married? by taryour(f): 7:23pm On May 09, 2012
grin grin
dayokanu: To kpekus legally
shocked
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by ronkebp(f): 12:36am On May 10, 2012

True dat!!!! and that is the only sane reason i can think of. I am just so dispressed with seeing, hearing and reading about so many marraiges that are upside-down. it doesn't just beautify or justify the sole purpose of marraige.
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Johndoe100(m): 2:34am On May 10, 2012

No, to procreate legally. You are single so you don't get it. This is the only reason to put up with marriage. Anyone can have s. ex legally once they are 18.
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by ezicat: 6:20pm On May 10, 2012
Last time I checked, if you have a child outside wedlock, you don't get thrown in jail; so it isn't illegal. Some people might look down on you - but since that makes them idiots, why should you care what they think?
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Fhemmmy: 6:35pm On May 10, 2012
This is a nice thread and will be following it, cos i have been asking such question for years and no one could answer . . .
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Busybody2(f): 6:43pm On May 10, 2012
In Nigeria, it is done to "belong" and to "feel among".
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Fhemmmy: 6:51pm On May 10, 2012
Busy_body:

In Nigeria, it is done to "belong" and to "feel among".

But even those that are not married and dating the married men are feeling "among" and "belonging" so i am not sure that is a good enough reason
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Busybody2(f): 10:55pm On May 10, 2012
Fhemmmy:

But even those that are not married and dating the married men are feeling "among" and "belonging" so i am not sure that is a good enough reason

Not sure how to describe it, but there is a difference oh. Or maybe it is something we have been "conditioned" to believe, by our Mothers.

Or maybe its just a thing of "good pride"
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Fhemmmy: 10:56pm On May 10, 2012
Busy_body:

Not sure how to describe it, but there is a difference oh. Or maybe it is something we have been "conditioned" by our Mothers.

Or maybe its just a thing of "good pride"

I honestly dont see all that as a reason for someone to be married . . . cos there are so many other ladies that pride in not being married and some mothers even teach and pride in their kids being the other woman . . . grin
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by EfemenaXY: 11:37pm On May 10, 2012
Reasons for getting married?

* For love - I love him so much that I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

* For companionship - I don't want to be alone. I'd like to have someone to come home to in the evenings. Someone to share my good and bad days with. Someone to share my idle gossip with, someone to watch tv & movies with. You know, stuff like Britian's got talent, x-factor, wildlife documentaries. But not sports and science discovery tongue

* For procreation - yep, I / we are so vain we can't get enough of admiring our images on the mirror so what better way than to have minature versions of us to fill our home. Besides, the bedmatics is great too.

* Someone to grow old with. Yep, and when that time comes by the good lord's Grace, we'll snuggle up together with our slippers & hot cocoa, and reminiscence on our youthful follies and wonder why / how we took life ever so seriously.

Is marriage worth it? It sure is! Would I do it again with my hubby if given the chance? You bet!! smiley

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Get Married? by r231(m): 11:44pm On May 10, 2012
Good question
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Fhemmmy: 12:12am On May 11, 2012
Efemena_xy: Reasons for getting married?

* For love - I love him so much that I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

* For companionship - I don't want to be alone. I'd like to have someone to come home to in the evenings. Someone to share my good and bad days with. Someone to share my idle gossip with, someone to watch tv & movies with. You know, stuff like Britian's got talent, x-factor, wildlife documentaries. But not sports and science discovery tongue

* For procreation - yep, I / we are so vain we can't get enough of admiring our images on the mirror so what better way than to have minature versions of us to fill our home. Besides, the bedmatics is great too.

* Someone to grow old with. Yep, and when that time comes by the good lord's Grace, we'll snuggle up together with our slippers & hot cocoa, and reminiscence on our youthful follies and wonder why / how we took life ever so seriously.

Is marriage worth it? It sure is! Would I do it again with my hubby if given the chance? You bet!! smiley

You could love someone without being married.
You could be in the best companionship without tying the knot
Some many baby mama and baby dadas, and yet not married and a lot are even happier
So many married people are lonely and growing old alone

So again, why do we get married . . . ?
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by EfemenaXY: 12:30am On May 11, 2012
^^ Maybe, but you don't get the same level of commitment and security. Security for your kids.

Re happiness: is relative. How do YOU define happiness?
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Fhemmmy: 1:47am On May 11, 2012
[quote author=Efemena_xy]^^ Maybe, but you don't get the same level of commitment and security. Security for your kids.

Re happiness: is relative. How do YOU define happiness?[/quote

Marriage dont always result into security and commitment for even the kids, and if someone is married all cos of the kids, what happened once the kids are grown and gone . . .
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by EfemenaXY: 7:13am On May 11, 2012
^^ Read through my earlier post. I gave other reasons besides commitment and security, and nowhere did I say marriage should be undertaken purely for just the kids.

Yes, marriage may not always result in commitment & security, but that's one of the realities of living, isn't it? Nothing in life provides you with 100% guarantees and neither does marriage.

You asked a question and people have responded with what works for them, yet you seek reasons to dispute their choices. I asked you a question which you are yet to respond to.

How do YOU define happiness? Afterall, what works for me may not necessarily work for you. And then maybe, just maybe, we might be able to tailor our response(s) to er... suit your needs?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Nobody: 10:36am On May 12, 2012
Efemena_xy: Reasons for getting married?

I'm so glad for u, u obviously have a gud one going for u dia.
this is exactly hw marriages shld b, den we wdnt b wondering wht its worth, bt unfortunately most marriages have lost its worth dt u dnt even knw y u took d step in d first place. May God hlp us married people!
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Nobody: 10:43am On May 12, 2012
Fhemmmy:

So many married people are lonely and growing old alone

So again, why do we get married . . . ?
[b][quote author=Fhemmmy]

SADLY TRUE!!
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by harakiri(m): 11:32am On May 12, 2012
People get married for the following reasons :

(1)Societal and peer pressure e.g "All my friends are married and i am the only one left out" OR "My mom says she wants a grand child before the end of next year".

(2)Religious pressure/beliefs

(3)Keeping up with the Joneses

(4)Social status (whatever that is)

(5)Social security

(6)They don't want to be seen as being "odd" and "wayward".

That's about it. Forget all that talk of getting married because of "love". The term LOVE is an illusion. They say love is unconditional and a beautiful feeling,bla bla bla (all that is infactuation). If a guy gets married to a pretty lady and para-venture she gets disfigured when a jealous ex-bf splashes acid on her face, would the guy still love her the same way? NO! If a lady gets married to a rich guy and the guy para-venture loses all his wealth in unfortunate deals,loses his job,loses his cars/houses and on top of that, he gets into an auto accident that paralyses him from the waist down...would she still love him the same way? NO! And yet...they say love is "unconditional". People just love decieving themselves.

On this forum, there is a thread concerning a lady who's husband just lost his bank job but managed to save N6million. He has been home for a few weeks and she is already complaining as if someone who can save N6million from a civil job in this hard country is a fool. Imagine what she would have done if he had no savings. Some weeks ago, i read in an article of a prominent Nollywood actor who's been ill and broke for a while and got thrown out of the house by his own wife! So much for love. So much for "till death do us part".

Women ALWAYS know what they want from marriage (inspite of all the mushy stuff they proclaim). It's usually the men who have their heads in the clouds. Women get married for three main reasons :

(A)Social status

(B)Financial/Social security

(C)To have kids "legally" and also have a binding legal document they can use to toss the man around in event of the dissolution of that marriage.

Do you really think Beyonce would have married Jay-Z if he wasn't worth over $400million USD? Do you think Tiger Woods wife would have married him if he was an average Joe on the golf course? Do you think Seal's wife married him for his "looks"? Do you think Bianca married Ojukwu because of his beards? Do you think Nigerian ladies are crazy about D'Banj for his singing skills alone? Women ALWAYS know what THEY WANT. If you think women marry because of love, then you need to get your head re-examined.

Nuff said!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Tgirl4real(f): 12:13pm On May 12, 2012
Efemena_xy: ^^ Read through my earlier post. I gave other reasons besides commitment and security, and nowhere did I say marriage should be undertaken purely for just the kids.

Yes, marriage may not always result in commitment & security, but that's one of the realities of living, isn't it? Nothing in life provides you with 100% guarantees and neither does marriage.

You asked a question and people have responded with what works for them, yet you seek reasons to dispute their choices. I asked you a question which you are yet to respond to.

How do YOU define happiness? Afterall, what works for me may not necessarily work for you. And then maybe, just maybe, we might be able to tailor our response(s) to er... suit your needs?

Thanks gann ni my sista. wink

@Fhemmy,

Since all d reasonable answers aint good enuf, please sir, can we have your? tongue
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Fhemmmy: 2:43pm On May 12, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Thanks gann ni my sista. wink

@Fhemmy,

Since all d reasonable answers aint good enuf, please sir, can we have your? tongue

If you notice what i said earlier, i have no idea . . . I am here to find the reason too.
I am married just cos i MARRY, marry cos i cant live without her . . . But mind you, i never said that is the reason to MARRY.
So again, why do we marry?
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Tgirl4real(f): 1:16am On May 13, 2012
Fhemmmy:

If you notice what i said earlier, i have no idea . . . I am here to find the reason too.
I am married just cos i MARRY, marry cos i cant live without her . . . But mind you, i never said that is the reason to MARRY.
So again, why do we marry?

Ehn ehn na! U just gave a reason, cos you can't live without her.

Because we often find the negative of some reasons given up there in marriages doesn't make the reasons invalid. It just shows what marriage has become.

Truth be told, marriage is for companionship, procreation and so on (things already listed up here). Two 'good' heads are better than one.

Seems God had put the 'need' in us naturally, esp we Nigerians. Lol. cheesy
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Fhemmmy: 5:01am On May 13, 2012
Tgirl4real:

Ehn ehn na! U just gave a reason, cos you can't live without her.

Because we often find the negative of some reasons given up there in marriages doesn't make the reasons invalid. It just shows what marriage has become.

Truth be told, marriage is for companionship, procreation and so on (things already listed up here). Two 'good' heads are better than one.

Seems God had put the 'need' in us naturally, esp we Nigerians. Lol. cheesy

I am not saying all those reasons are not good enuf to be married, all i am saying is that they are not good enuf to stay married
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Tgirl4real(f): 7:18am On May 13, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I am not saying all those reasons are not good enuf to be married, all i am saying is that they are not good enuf to stay married

If you can't find a good enuf reason, then don't marry and go get a divorce already tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Nobody: 1:18pm On May 13, 2012
DUH very stoopid question from a crazy poster. Mschewww angry

Are you not the same goat that told a woman to starve her husband of sex? were
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Odunnu: 3:18pm On May 13, 2012
One shall put a thousand to flight, two, ten thousand.
We marry to achieve synergy. Atleast, thats why i'm married.
I also complement him even as he makes me complete too
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Busybody2(f): 4:10pm On May 13, 2012
Fhemmmy:

I honestly dont see all that as a reason for someone to be married . . . cos there are so many other ladies that pride in not being married and some mothers even teach and pride in their kids being the other woman . . . grin

But you know how judgemental Nigerians are, so people who dabble in such do it in hiding. They will even clap ashawo whenever such person is walking by cheesy
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Fhemmmy: 3:35pm On May 14, 2012
Tgirl4real:

If you can't find a good enuf reason, then don't marry and go get a divorce already tongue

Divorce with my wife is not an option at all, cos she is not just a wife, she is a partner to me, my best friend . . Infact, without her . . me lost be dat you know cheesy
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Fhemmmy: 3:36pm On May 14, 2012
Busy_body:

But you know how judgemental Nigerians are, so people who dabble in such do it in hiding. They will even clap ashawo whenever such person is walking by cheesy

I do agree with you and that is why i do appreciate people that live their life and not based on what Nigeria do think.
No matter what you do, Nigerians will be judgmental and they will talk
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Fhemmmy: 3:36pm On May 14, 2012
Odunnu: One shall put a thousand to flight, two, ten thousand.
We marry to achieve synergy. Atleast, thats why i'm married.
I also complement him even as he makes me complete too

Dont have to be married to enjoy all that . . . There are common law couple
Re: Why Do People Get Married? by Tgirl4real(f): 4:56pm On May 14, 2012
Fhemmmy:

Divorce with my wife is not an option at all, cos she is not just a wife, she is a partner to me, my best friend . . Infact, without her . . me lost be dat you know cheesy

I can see you've drawn a chair on this case too. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Experience Today With A Youth Corper / "Ojuju Calabar" / How To Conceive A Baby Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.