Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,583 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:38 AM

Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume (14313 Views)

Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike / Sacked Lagos Doctors Reinstatement Letters Ready / Lagos Doctors Suspend Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by LocalChamp: 3:49am On May 11, 2012
Normalcy returns as new doctors resume
By Onyedi Ojiabor, Assistant Editor and Sanni Onogu, Abuja 1 hour ago
Font size:

Health services are gradually being restored in Lagos State hospitals, with the resumption of some of the 373 newly-recruited doctors.

Some of the doctors were seen yesterday attending to patients, who had turned up for treatment.

The doctors were hired on May 7, following the dismissal of 788 doctors by the government. The sacked doctors had refused to answer queries issued to them for embarking on a strike without following due process.

The doctors assumed duty after two weeks of paralysed medical services caused by the commencement of the strike on April 24.

At the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported that some wards, which were previously locked, had been opened but there was a low turnout of patients.

One of the new doctors, who pleaded for anonymity, told NAN that the low turnout was because most patients were not aware that the doctors had resumed work.

He said: “Because we are few, our impact has yet to be felt in the hospitals and most Lagosians are still not aware that we have resumed. We are hoping that by next week, things will pick up.

At the Isolo General Hospital, some doctors were attending to the patients.

Mrs Cecilia Nwachukwu, who brought her child for treatment, said they were quickly attended to as there were not many patients.

She said it took less than an hour for consultation with the doctor and getting drugs at the pharmacy, which was not the case before.

Her words: “It took less than an hour to see the doctor and we have also bought medicine that was prescribed by the doctor.

“This was not the case before when we had to wait for hours before seeing the doctor.”

Two doctors also assumed duty at the Randle General Hospital, Surulere.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/46209-normalcy-returns-as-new-doctors-resume.html
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Nobody: 4:12am On May 11, 2012
Another thumbs up for Fasola.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Rhino5dm: 6:02am On May 11, 2012
Am waiting for that fool that was threatening LASG to come and explian whats going on. Why are the "almighty" doctors licking their vomits?. Doctor this, doctor that, what a bunch of ninnies.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Nobody: 7:34am On May 11, 2012
Fashola ,carry go jor. This is another victory for Lagos residents. You are the people's man. The doctors on level 14 above would still keep assisting the new ones until the recruitment process is completed.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by idupaul: 7:42am On May 11, 2012
I am not Fashola voltron ... But I give thumbs up to Fashola for this bold move against the greedy doctors ... It a victory against the culture of impunity ... I hope he evicts them from govt owned qtrs today as promised.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Nobody: 7:58am On May 11, 2012
If Lagosians are happy with this,then I'm cool with it. cheesy
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by dumodust(m): 8:27am On May 11, 2012
They're still in a chatty mood because of low patient turnout, I'm going to spread the word...wait till the full force of Lagos residents hits the inexperienced. Two doctors for randle hospital? Let's watch and see whether they will even be able to go home and change...system overload. Stupid policy by stupid politicians gambling with people's lives...e ko ni death o!

2 Likes

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by chuks49(m): 8:27am On May 11, 2012
This just confirms the believe that no individual or group is indispensable.

1 Like

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by afrobaby(f): 8:33am On May 11, 2012
dumodust, when I see posts like dis on dis forum, I smh, what, 2 doctors at randle hospital, is that not far better than no doctors at all, pls lets think and talk reasonably

3 Likes

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by gregg2: 8:36am On May 11, 2012
I'm very surprise at the reaction of some folks here.

If GEJ ever tried doing what Fashola just did, these same ACN
and their cronies including expired analyst seeking relevance
will manipulate the media to chew him raw.

We should put ourselves in the shoes of those Doctors. How does one
rationalise broken agreement on the part of the Lagos State government.
For God's sake, these Dictors are not more greedy than our University lecturers (ASUU)
and the Federal Govt has been managing them over the years.

Funny still how The Nation Newspaper applies every logic to rationalise
evil actions of South West governors except Ondo.

2 Likes

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by isleman(m): 8:39am On May 11, 2012
I suggest same treatment for lecturers. These people are asking for too much. They eye government officials' spending while they are also well paid for their services rendered. Anyone of them who is interested in government officials' allowances should join politics.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ziccoit: 8:44am On May 11, 2012
He employed them as locum, which means they would be paid based on hours of work. The only reason Fashola seemly to be winning is because the leadership of NMA has sold the doctors to the politicians. In the real world, no doctor would accept to work under this kind of atmosphere. Doctors used to work like secret cult.

Mark my word. This present shows of deceits would never stand. It has never worked anywhere in the world and would not work in Lagos state.

3 Likes

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Nobody: 8:44am On May 11, 2012
chuks49: This just confirms the believe that no individual or group is indispensable.
Very soon this will be d norm in Nigeria. Rivers State Doctors take note, the day u disturb ameachi u all will be givn d Fashola treatment.

2 Likes

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Nobody: 8:44am On May 11, 2012
gregg2: I'm very surprise at the reaction of some folks here.

For God's sake, these Dictors are not more greedy than our University lecturers (ASUU)

Thank you for mentioning the word GREEDY! And ASUU did not use the "lives/deaths" of student as bargaining chips.

obakovich:
Very soon this will be d norm in Nigeria. Rivers State Doctors take note, the day u disturb ameachi u all will be givn d Fashola treatment.

Fashola leads and others follow. grin

1 Like

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ballabriggs: 8:51am On May 11, 2012
Another Government propaganda! 378 Docs for 16 million Lagosians- with a high population growth rate. Any government that does not value the health of its nation is a failed government- that is what development is all about. The Docs have only asked for the basics to keep them going. They're not asking to be paid what their counterparts earn earn in Europe- that would be unreasonable. It's a very myopic decision on the part of the government. You would even spend more at the end of the day as the health condition worsens. But do they care, they come to the UK for NHS treatment where the Doctors are better remunerated leaving our own Docs to rot. I don't wanna see Docs taking bribes in Hospitals to alter health reports, it means something is wrong with their remuneration. It is a shame on Nigeria. How do you develop with hungry Doctors? Any development plan without taking this into consideration is a failed plan.

3 Likes

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by WhoIGoAsk: 8:56am On May 11, 2012
misfortune for some, fortune for others

1 Like

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by EkwyOmalicha: 8:57am On May 11, 2012
So what happens if tomorrow these ones threaten Lagos state with strike action? May be Fashola and co ‘ll then recruit student doctors……..very soon our Lagos hospitals will be flooded with quacks. sad

1 Like

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by chuks49(m): 8:57am On May 11, 2012
The victim here are the sick patients abandoned by their supposed care givers, and this should serve as a lesson to members of trade unions that wouldn't want to join their union in embarking on senseless strikes called by their ever radical union leaders.
gregg2: I'm very surprise at the reaction of some folks here.

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ibrash600: 9:02am On May 11, 2012
I tink FG should treat those lecturers like dis, d so called ASUU, dy ar demanding increament of salary every yr....thumps up 4 fashola....
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ayox2003: 9:04am On May 11, 2012
Whats normalcy in this situation?
You sacked 788 and replaced them with 373....is this normalcy/normal??
Is it because he and his children doesnt receive medical attention in any of these hospitals?? 788-373= 405. So how would 373 fill the space of 788? Even 373 x 2 = 746...thats if its in ratio 1:2.
Fashola is crazy!
And some NLers are speaking trash here. Fashola didnt implement the agreement and your saying s:h:i:t. Well, the people will ALWAYS suffer and God knows the number of the same NLers in those hospitals rightnow. Not the Doctors; Not Fashola.
For The Nation newspaper, no wonder their workers are always man-handled. Normalcy my foot.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ballabriggs: 9:04am On May 11, 2012
ibrash600: I tink FG should treat those lecturers like dis, d so called ASUU, dy ar demanding increament of salary every yr....thumps up 4 fashola....

Myopic! Yet you want to develop as a nation. Without academics? Sincerely You people are not ready.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Teedol: 9:08am On May 11, 2012
ballabriggs: Another Government propaganda! 378 Docs for 16 million Lagosians- with a high population growth rate. Any government that does not value the health of its nation is a failed government- that is what development is all about. The Docs have only asked for the basics to keep them going. They're not asking to be paid what their counterparts earn earn in Europe- that would be unreasonable. It's a very myopic decision on the part of the government. You would even spend more at the end of the day as the health condition worsens. But do they care, they come to the UK for NHS treatment where the Doctors are better remunerated leaving our own Docs to rot. I don't wanna see Docs taking bribes in Hospitals to alter health reports, it means something is wrong with their remuneration. It is a shame on Nigeria. How do you develop with hungry Doctors? Any development plan without taking this into consideration is a failed plan.

My brother, half bread is better than non. At least 378 Docs will do their best.
It is acceptable for lectures and other civil servants to go on strike,
but health officials, NAH.
The Docs union got it all wrong, they could have left at least 20-30% of their work force
on duty, that way they would have earned the entire populace sympathy.

The UK police protested yesterday, yet they made sure at least officers on duty never left their post.
20% were on duty.
The lagos Docs are just trying to tell us they never cared for their patients life.

5 Likes

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by chuks49(m): 9:08am On May 11, 2012
Ekwy Omalicha: So what happens if tomorrow these ones threaten Lagos state with strike action? May be Fashola and co ‘ll then recruit student doctors……..very soon our Lagos hospitals will be flooded with quacks. sad

Wings don't grow overnight, be rest assured that when LASG is done with this restructuring, there won't be strike in Lagos State by medical practitioners in the next 5yrs or more.

2 Likes

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by jigawatts(m): 9:08am On May 11, 2012
I tot Lagos NMA sed New doctors will not be allowed to resume ...... Fashola has even evicted all d doctors from deir quarters ..... Over the few days, Lagos State has been very objective in stating deir own part of d argument ..... BUT from d doctors side, I've not heard any objective reasons by dem ...... All I hear is Doctors comparing deir pay to Politicians ... If u no fit do Doctor again ...... Go join Politics na.... Nuff said ' ... tongue

1 Like

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Rhino5dm: 9:10am On May 11, 2012
obakovich:

+100
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Rhino5dm: 9:13am On May 11, 2012
Na by force to work for government? Abeg shift comot if you wan the job, plenty people dey wait for thesame chance. Wetin the doctors be sef?

ballabriggs: Another Government propaganda! 378 Docs for 16 million Lagosians- with a high population growth rate. Any government that does not value the health of its nation is a failed government- that is what development is all about. The Docs have only asked for the basics to keep them going. They're not asking to be paid what their counterparts earn earn in Europe- that would be unreasonable. It's a very myopic decision on the part of the government. You would even spend more at the end of the day as the health condition worsens. But do they care, they come to the UK for NHS treatment where the Doctors are better remunerated leaving our own Docs to rot. I don't wanna see Docs taking bribes in Hospitals to alter health reports, it means something is wrong with their remuneration. It is a shame on Nigeria. How do you develop with hungry Doctors? Any development plan without taking this into consideration is a failed plan.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Rhino5dm: 9:15am On May 11, 2012
so because we wan develop naija, na him we go allow some lazy bastards hold the government for ransom? You get sense at all?

ballabriggs:

Myopic! Yet you want to develop as a nation. Without academics? Sincerely You people are not ready.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by Rhino5dm: 9:16am On May 11, 2012
jigawatts: I tot Lagos NMA sed New doctors will not be allowed to resume ...... Fashola has even evicted all d doctors from deir quarters ..... Over the few days, Lagos State has been very objective in stating deir own part of d argument ..... BUT from d doctors side, I've not heard any objective reasons by dem ...... All I hear is Doctors comparing deir pay to Politicians ... If u no fit do Doctor again ...... Go join Politics na.... Nuff said ' ... tongue

Well said cool
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by ballabriggs: 9:17am On May 11, 2012
Teedol:

My brother, half bread is better than non. At least 378 Docs will do their best.
It is acceptable for lectures and other civil servants to go on strike,
but health officials, NAH.
The Docs union got it all wrong, they could have left at least 20-30% of their work force
on duty, that way they would have earned the entire populace sympathy.

The UK police protested yesterday, yet they made sure at least officers on duty never left their post.
20% were on duty.
The lagos Docs are just trying to tell us they never cared for their patients life.

So the best thing is to sack 700 Docs and replace them with 300 for millions of people? This new ones would also get frustrated with the conditions and it would be back to square one. So don't deceive yourselves. Lagos and Nigeria has a very low workforce in the health sector. Why can't we then treat the few we have right? ? The strike option seems to be the only language this useless Nigerian leaders understand.
Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by chuks49(m): 9:17am On May 11, 2012
ayox2003: Whats normalcy in this situation?
You sacked 788 and replaced them with 373....is this normalcy/normal??
Is it because he and his children doesnt receive medical attention in any of these hospitals?? 788-373= 405. So how would 373 fill the space of 788? Even 373 x 2 = 746...thats if its in ratio 1:2.
Fashola is crazy!
And some NLers are speaking trash here. Fashola didnt implement the agreement and your saying s:h:i:t. Well, the people will ALWAYS suffer and God knows the number of the same NLers in those hospitals rightnow. Not the Doctors; Not Fashola.
For The Nation newspaper, no wonder their workers are always man-handled. Normalcy my foot.

Forget the arithmetic of the sacked and replaced doctors cos the recruitment is ongoing, that Govt didn't completely implement the agreement it reached with Doctors is not enough reason for them to abandon their sick patients in their time of need.

3 Likes

Re: Normalcy Returns As New Lagos Doctors Resume by isleman(m): 9:22am On May 11, 2012

Please get your calculations right. we don't all go to government hospital. the last time i was there was 1999. so minus me from your 16million figure. What we are saying is strike is NOT the answer. Strike action is abused. Doctors should value their profession. They shouldn't use human lives as a means of bargaining. are the police as catered for as the doctors? why hasn't the police ever gone on strike? such laws that prevent police from going on strike should prevent doctors too.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike / Fresh Coronavirus Outbreak Hit Benue, 25 Cases Reported / COVID-19 Update For September 29 2020 In Nigeria -(3,815 Tested))

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.