Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike (14334 Views)

JOHESU To Embark On Nationwide Strike / All Health Workers Can Now Be Consultants-fg / Breaking!! Six More Health Workers Infected With EBOLA!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by PaulJohn1: 9:03am On Aug 23, 2013
The health minister failed to honour a meeting with the union.
Some federal health workers have embarked on another round of indefinite nationwide strike over the none implementation of key issues affecting the union’s welfare.

A statement by the National President of the Medical and Health Workers Union of Nigeria, Ayuba Wabba, on Thursday, and co-signed by other executives noted that the federal government had failed in its responsibilities in implementing the demands of the union even after court directives.
The striking workers include laboratory technicians, nurses and so on.

The union expressed its disappointment at the absence of the Minister of Health, Onyebuchi Chukwu, and his representatives at a meeting held in Abuja on August 19 at the instance of the Minister of Labour and Productivity, Muhammed Lawal, to deliberate on the contending issues between the union and government.
“We are therefore left with no other option than to direct all members to commence an indefinite strike action with effect from 12 midnight on Wednesday 21 August 2013, unfailingly,” the statement read.

The union threatened that if their demands are not met within one week of the commencement of the strike, that they would mobilise their colleagues serving at the state and local government level to join the strike in solidarity.
According to the statement, the union had earlier issued a 21 day ultimatum to the federal government to fulfill their agreement by the August 19 meeting.

The union said it challenged the government at the Industrial Court for 13 months; and the court ruled in the favour of the union. It said the court ordered the federal government to honor the agreement earlier reached with the union without further delays.
When contacted, the Health Minister said the government had appealed the ruling of the Industrial Court and expected the health workers to wait for the end of the judicial process.
http://premiumtimesng.com/news/143275-federal-health-workers-embark-on-indefinite-strike.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=federal-health-workers-embark-on-indefinite-strike
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by johnstar(m): 11:29am On Aug 23, 2013
Dm use strike do all of una undecided, una go die of stroke ooo cheesy cheesy cheesy... In order news, first 2 comment, I sitdwn here gididgba dey wait 4 una cheesy
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by BlackPeni5: 11:30am On Aug 23, 2013
This is not the time to fall ill...You might just die.

1 Like

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by lifestyle1(m): 11:30am On Aug 23, 2013
undecided
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by lifestyle1(m): 11:30am On Aug 23, 2013
johnstar: .

undecided
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by adonismuller(m): 11:30am On Aug 23, 2013
Fresh air....very soon the whole nation will go on strike

Failed country!
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by johnstar(m): 11:31am On Aug 23, 2013
life_style:

undecided
wetn undecided, u don chow
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by PaulJohn1: 11:33am On Aug 23, 2013
Who cares whether they go on strike or not? once Madam PEJ can access German hospital, all is well.
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by johnstar(m): 11:34am On Aug 23, 2013
adonismuller: Fresh air....very soon the whole nation will go on strike

Failed country!
confused nation tongue
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by everyday: 11:34am On Aug 23, 2013
People are dying and they are going on strike! Who is in charge here?
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by rubii09: 11:36am On Aug 23, 2013
ok. please how much is one cup of garri
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Korrection(m): 11:37am On Aug 23, 2013
This country is due for seperation....what do you guys think...?
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Samgreguc(m): 11:37am On Aug 23, 2013
Jonathan is this the fresh air u promised us? OMG! I WONDER WHERE THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DO KEEP THEIR EAR WHEN EVER AN ULTIMATUM IS BE GIVEN. Mtcheew

2 Likes

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by REMMEI(m): 11:38am On Aug 23, 2013
Has anyone thought of this...why can't the federal government and its cohort go on strike?..they can't cos they are busy causing other bodies to go on strike..and also busy looting..something is gonna happen sooner than later,this i'm very sure of.
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Nobody: 11:42am On Aug 23, 2013
what a pity cry
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by bakry86: 11:43am On Aug 23, 2013
waiting for NL to go on strike too
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Nobody: 11:43am On Aug 23, 2013
GEj dey try oo hypertension nor go kill am??

1 Like

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Symphony007: 11:44am On Aug 23, 2013
Today, two of the basic sectors of nigeria. Federal health and education is on strike. No matter your political standing or bais, this should worry you and the government needs has a lot of explaining to do.

6 Likes

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by pendusky(m): 11:46am On Aug 23, 2013
this is no joking mata!!! though doctors are working!!!

1 Like

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by lillies: 11:49am On Aug 23, 2013
Please what is ASUU website?
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by theplanmaker: 11:52am On Aug 23, 2013
I was in school, ASUU went on strike, the department placed us on clinical posting, Johesu went on strike, I'm going home, praying that mummy doesn't go on strike

1 Like

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Imeyo(m): 11:52am On Aug 23, 2013
tongue
as long as business is moving in d petroleum industry. Health workers and ASUU,ESPECIALLY ASUU can continue striking on d media.I trust OBJ,no work no pay.Jona can u do dat?I knw u wil stil meet their demand bt show em sm bone to chew.
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by deols(f): 11:52am On Aug 23, 2013
When contacted, the Health Minister said the government had appealed the ruling of the Industrial Court and expected the health workers to wait for the end of the judicial process
The same government that never waits for judicial processes when it does not favour them?

The masses would be affected the most.

Foreign hospitals are there for the politicians.

1 Like

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by adexsimply(m): 11:53am On Aug 23, 2013
Strike->Trending
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 23, 2013
Yungwizzzy: GEj dey try oo hypertension nor go kill am??

do you really think our leaders give a fvkc about the masses?
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Super1759: 11:53am On Aug 23, 2013
see what ASSU strike is causing
students will come on-board and keeping saying things they don't know
compare strikes during obj's regime to GEJ's regime and get back at me.
compare strike during yar adua's regime to gej and get back to me.

*DISCLAIMER: no insult from any brat,i am not supporting GEJ in any of these.
Nigeria will get there somehow.

1 Like

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by mrjingles(m): 11:53am On Aug 23, 2013
is it just me or do all these unions go on strike when elections are around the corner? I just hope large amounts of money are not changing hands somewhere. I for one don't like the concept of strike action, if anyone does not like their condition of work they always have a choice- quit and go elsewhere. that is a more effective way of showing discontent imho.

2 Likes

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by coolestboy(m): 11:57am On Aug 23, 2013
I think itz high time every Nigerian should go on strike.
Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by wengerjay(m): 12:00pm On Aug 23, 2013
everyday: People are dying and they are going on strike! Who is in charge here?
Doctors are in charge of course.FG shd encourage international standard of medical practice in Nigeria.But sha,anything goes in this country,people take laws into their hands.This is a country where a commercial bus driver wld say he wants to pilot a plane and the govt wil give its consent.Lets see what happens in the long run.

3 Likes

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by chukemmang(m): 12:00pm On Aug 23, 2013
The series of strikes we are having now is like a time bomb, I don't think we should put all the blame on GEJ. I think the blame should go more to the legislature. Their take-home packages is just too colossal. If you work with the government and you are aware of those packages, you will always want something better for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by Okijajuju1(m): 12:00pm On Aug 23, 2013
EVIL MEN have surrounded President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan.. They are trying to pull him down, but they shall fall for his sake.. Thus says the Gods..

ASUU - Strike
ASUP - Strike
PHCN - Strike
HEALTH WORKERS - Strike
Boko Haram - Strike.
Repentant Militant - Strike
Police - Threatening Strike (Over 5,500 naira deduction from their Salaries)

All this on one man.. Na dem go tire..

2 Likes

Re: Federal Health Workers Embark On Strike by superstarjay(m): 12:01pm On Aug 23, 2013
Fresh air thinga....vry soon garri sell wuld embark on dere own strike.#teamgarri

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lagos Discharges 67 Coronavirus Patients Today / Should Non-doctors Head health Institutions? / Risk Factors Associated With Sudden Cardiac Arrest..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.