Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,079 members, 7,825,405 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:37 PM

Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use (31500 Views)

What are the Rewards For Muslim Women In Paradise? / The 'Burying' Of Muslim Women in the Modern World / Abuzola, That Muslim Dude That Failed Bombing Attempt In U.s - What Do You Say? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 1:16pm On May 11, 2012
I came across this and thought-it nice to share.

The word hijab comes from the Arabic for veil and is used to describe the headscarves worn by Muslim women. These scarves come in a myriad of styles and colours. The type most commonly worn in the West is a square scarf that covers the head and neck but leaves the face clear.

4 Likes

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 1:17pm On May 11, 2012
The al-amira is a two-piece veil. It consists of a close fitting cap, usually made from cotton or polyester, and an accompanying tube-like scarf. The shayla is a long, rectangular scarf popular in the Gulf region. It is wrapped around the head and tucked or pinned in place at the shoulders.

1 Like

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 1:19pm On May 11, 2012
The khimar is a long, cape-like veil that hangs down to just above the waist. It covers the hair, neck and shoulders completely, but leaves the face clear. The chador, worn by many Iranian women when outside the house, is a full-body cloak. It is often accompanied by a smaller headscarf underneath

1 Like

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 1:20pm On May 11, 2012
The niqab is a veil for the face that leaves the area around the eyes clear. However, it may be worn with a separate eye veil. It is worn with an accompanying headscarf. The burka is the most concealing of all Islamic veils. It covers the entire face and body, leaving just a mesh screen to see through.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 1:22pm On May 11, 2012
Sourced from http://twentytwowords.com/2011/06/06/not-all-headscarves-are-burkas-7-types-of-muslim-headwear-for-women/ which got it from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8641070.stm .

Are there more styles? I know there are but I don't have illustrations or know what ye women call them. tongue
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by emofine2(f): 6:55pm On May 11, 2012
This is quite informative, nice thread.

I never knew there was a distinction between the hijab and the shayla. How does one tie the hijab?

I gather that part of the reason for wearing these uniforms are to preserve modesty and not stir lustful attraction however with the exception of the burka are not the eyes also an appealing feature that can draw another’s attention?
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by tbaba1234: 9:07pm On May 11, 2012
This is a female thread:: Hope the ladies would join soon.... there are so many styles out there... It differs from country to country usually. I don't know if there is distinctive Nigerian style yet though.

@emofine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dry6R4Xtl_k

Your eyes are not immediately apparent to anyone..
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by lepasharon(f): 1:55am On May 13, 2012
iv noticed somalians wear their hijqab like khimar smiley
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by mukina2: 1:11pm On May 15, 2012
nice.

1 Like

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by emofine2(f): 11:50pm On May 15, 2012
Tbaba thanks.

I just had a thought...if a Muslimah is bald is there any need for her to wear a hijab?
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by tbaba1234: 12:41am On May 16, 2012
emöfine2: Tbaba thanks.

I just had a thought...if a Muslimah is bald is there any need for her to wear a hijab?

Simple answer yes!!
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by realmscape: 1:43pm On Aug 30, 2012
BURKA ....looks like a NINJA... grin

1 Like

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 1:47pm On Aug 30, 2012
realmscape: BURKA ....looks like a NINJA... grin

You mean like these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJjpFYVvwBo
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Afam4eva(m): 1:47pm On Aug 30, 2012
My wife must wear this so that other men will not see her physical attributes grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 30, 2012
though not a muslim,

i love the shayla and hijab.
Nice smiley

2 Likes

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by greall1: 1:52pm On Aug 30, 2012
official Hijab.

4 Likes

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by agent22: 1:55pm On Aug 30, 2012
grin grin grin grin
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 30, 2012
I think I like Shyla and Hijab, esp when this muslim IT girl wear it with her tight jeans, She has apparently seduce all the big boys in my office grin
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Sike(m): 1:57pm On Aug 30, 2012
Fantastic hijab!
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by slam7000(m): 2:02pm On Aug 30, 2012
Burka looks like ekpo masquarade,niqab resembles a japanese ninja...the others are cool

1 Like

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 30, 2012
afam4eva: My wife must wear this so that other men will not see her physical attributes grin grin grin

Forget it menh, You never see where men use only eye tear babes cloth and see what they want to see grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Tayo114: 2:03pm On Aug 30, 2012
Islam is beautiful, muslim ladies shld be proud of thir Hijab

2 Likes

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Nobody: 2:05pm On Aug 30, 2012
What is the name of that particular head gear most female yoruba muslims wear? Its common seeing them wearing it.its very different from the ones I see in the pictures here.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 2:05pm On Aug 30, 2012
Tayo114: Islam is beautiful, muslim ladies shld be proud of thir Hijab

I agree.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by ability93(f): 2:12pm On Aug 30, 2012
maclatunji: I came across this and thought-it nice to share.

The word hijab comes from the Arabic for veil and is used to describe the headscarves worn by Muslim women. These scarves come in a myriad of styles and colours. The type most commonly worn in the West is a square scarf that covers the head and neck but leaves the face clear.
wonderful
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by ashson: 2:14pm On Aug 30, 2012
Hijab/Niqab shows d dignity of a woman. no man should see your natural beauty without dowry. whatever is covered is what the eyez want to see. but whatever is open, everybody is satisfied of it n doesnt care about it.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by DICKtator: 2:20pm On Aug 30, 2012
grin grin grin grin
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Exponental(m): 2:21pm On Aug 30, 2012
It's not by hijab or coverings, it is by inner decency.
I know of a runs babe who uses d covering 4 societal prestige but av no undies on amongst others........(make i keep quiet b4 dem say i wan cause religious war).

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

'Its A Peaceful Religion' - Moji Olaiya Converts To Islam / First Two Ebira People In Mecca On Pilgrimage (Photo) / Bloodbath As Muslims In Oyo Fight Over Praying Ground In Igboora, Ibarapa East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.