Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,876 members, 7,838,134 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use - Islam for Muslims (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use (31529 Views)

What are the Rewards For Muslim Women In Paradise? / The 'Burying' Of Muslim Women in the Modern World / Abuzola, That Muslim Dude That Failed Bombing Attempt In U.s - What Do You Say? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by deols(f): 10:28am On Aug 31, 2012
maclatunji:

The concept of Hijab is not to cover ALL beauty but MOST. I agree, eyes can be beautiful. grin

you still haven't provided the reference to that concept. bring it from the Qur'an or ahadith.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 10:32am On Aug 31, 2012
deols:

you still haven't provided the reference to that concept. bring it from the Qur'an or ahadith.

Yes now, I know you all too well. Promise you will not fight over it and we can talk. However, you should consider the fact that even non-Muslims understand this point without reference to the Qur'an and hadith. It is eermmm quite obvious.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by deols(f): 10:35am On Aug 31, 2012
bukatyne: what is d use of wearing adornments if u ll conceal them? wat is the function of concealin them? does it mean that if a woman uses no adornment, she can go out without an hijab?

So many reasons to wear adornments my dear. You may just love them, and that you should never be denied. You need to see beautiful henna(tattoos) on arms or ears pierced at many places with beautiful ear rings. how about belly buttons. In fact, the clothes you wear that the hijab covers are adornments. Hairstyles too.

that you are not wearing adornments doesn't mean you can't wear the hijab. The most important thing about it is as an obedience to the command by Allah that you should wear it. the other things like the adornment, modesty, etc are secondary. (and these are exactly what I was hoping to talk about when Mr. moderator pointed at derailment. I hope I havent done that already sha #novex
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by deols(f): 10:50am On Aug 31, 2012
maclatunji:

Yes now, I know you all too well. Promise you will not fight over it and we can talk. However, you should consider the fact that even non-Muslims understand this point without reference to the Qur'an and hadith. It is eermmm quite obvious.

you want to go so simplistic about it. But I assume you know that it is wrong to go about making claims to things without textual inferences from the Qur'an and hadith in Islam. In the absence of that proof, I'd rule your assertion as one of the many misconceptions about Islam and Islamic practices.

allow me add this. About six weeks ago while in Nigeria, a WOman saw me reciting the Qur'an without covering my hair. It was a friday and I was reciting Suratul Kahf. She sarted saying all sorts of things. Not insultive, but reasons why my head was to be covered. note, I was in the comfort of my room, with only women around. I realised she didnt even understand the reason for the hijab. she thought first, I shld be covered because the other women around might think they could do same. that made me feel like, and so what? and then she said the windows were open(for God's sake how does that matter) and that angels passing by my put a curse on my head.

I realised she's been wearing her hijab for the wrongest reasons. I had to take time to explain things to her. My point is, all she said might be obvious reasons to her and many other people. she probably was never asked to provide references to her claim nor did She ever had to. not funny at all, she's the missioner of her local Islamic organization embarassed
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by bukatyne(f): 10:50am On Aug 31, 2012
deols:

So many reasons to wear adornments my dear. You may just love them, and that you should never be denied. You need to see beautiful henna(tattoos) on arms or ears pierced at many places with beautiful ear rings. how about belly buttons. In fact, the clothes you wear that the hijab covers are adornments. Hairstyles too.

that you are not wearing adornments doesn't mean you can't wear the hijab. The most important thing about it is as an obedience to the command by Allah that you should wear it. the other things like the adornment, modesty, etc are secondary. (and these are exactly what I was hoping to talk about when Mr. moderator pointed at derailment. I hope I havent done that already sha #novex
i go wit mactunji on this. the hijab covers up a woman's beauty. u must really be a liberal muslim/person talking of body piercings and multiple ear piercings. if u do al this stuffs, who do you do them for? u'll agree wit me that it is natural for humans to dress up better when goin out than @ home. are u telling me that when in your room, u make up, wear earrings and al that, wear sexy clothes and then when you are goin out you just cover up? then who are you dressing up for.? i appreciate your detailed explanation
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 10:57am On Aug 31, 2012
deols:

you want to go so simplistic about it. But I assume you know that it is wrong to go about making claims to things without textual inferences from the Qur'an and hadith in Islam. In the absence of that proof, I'd rule your assertion as one of the many misconceptions about Islam and Islamic practices.

allow me add this. About six weeks ago while in Nigeria, a WOman saw me reciting the Qur'an without covering my hair. It was a friday and I was reciting Suratul Kahf. She sarted saying all sorts of things. Not insultive, but reasons why my head was to be covered. note, I was in the comfort of my room, with only women around. I realised she didnt even understand the reason for the hijab. she thought first, I shld be covered because the other women around might think they could do same. that made me feel like, and so what? and then she said the windows were open(for God's sake how does that matter) and that angels passing by my put a curse on my head.

I realised she's been wearing her hijab for the wrongest reasons. I had to take time to explain things to her. My point is, all she said might be obvious reasons to her and many other people. she probably was never asked to provide references to her claim nor did She ever had to. not funny at all, she's the missioner of her local Islamic organization embarassed

Awwwwww, this post is so cute and out of point. I won't quote the relevant portions of the Qur'an and hadith for the following reasons:

1. You already know them.

2. You have already given them your own unique interpretation.

3. You will not back-down from your position even with overwhelming evidence against you.

4. You would thereby destroy the thread with the foregoing.

However, if you insist we can create another thread for that.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by EyesWideOpen(m): 11:10am On Aug 31, 2012
^^^ Mr. Mac, that's a most wrong answer to her questions pls!
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 11:18am On Aug 31, 2012
EyesWideOpen: ^^^ Mr. Mac, that's a most wrong answer to her questions pls!

And the right answer is?
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by deols(f): 12:04pm On Aug 31, 2012
EyesWideOpen: ^^^ Mr. Mac, that's a most wrong answer to her questions pls!

and he must feel smart by deflecting from a very simple question.

his other usual line is, I am too busy to reply you now.

maclatunji:

Awwwwww, this post is so cute and out of point. I won't quote the relevant portions of the Qur'an and hadith for the following reasons:

1. You already know them.

2. You have already given them your own unique interpretation.

3. You will not back-down from your position even with overwhelming evidence against you.

4. You would thereby destroy the thread with the foregoing.

However, if you insist we can create another thread for that.

am I surprised at ur reply? No. and truly I wouldn't back down because unlike you, I only talk about things I can defend and have knowledge of. maybe you should start doing that too.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 12:08pm On Aug 31, 2012
deols:

and he must feel smart by deflecting from a very simple question.

his other usual line is, I am too busy to reply you now.

am I surprised at ur reply? No. and truly I wouldn't back down because unlike you, I only talk about things I can defend and have knowledge of. maybe you should start doing that too.

Actually, I am not too busy and I know what you have done in the past and will still do if I engage you on a topic as ridiculous as this. Why don't we debate one-on-one, that way we don't heat-up the entire section. You seem to enjoy the drama because I don't know how this topic got reduced to this level. You and I need to have a very long private talk- #Seriously.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by deols(f): 12:30pm On Aug 31, 2012
bukatyne: i go wit mactunji on this. the hijab covers up a woman's beauty. u must really be a liberal muslim/person talking of body piercings and multiple ear piercings.

Maclatunji is not a Muslim woman, I am.SO, believe it when I say it. And the above are only examples and have nothing to do with being liberal. If you have the chance to do things that enhance your beauty or that you just love and you find out they don't contradict religious principles, you'd do them.

THe purpose of highlighting them is to show that adornments are not necessarily for show off and as a Muslim woman, u'd most probably have them where not just anybody can see them. your brothers, nephews, father, husbands and father-in-law can.

if u do al this stuffs, who do you do them for? u'll agree wit me that it is natural for humans to dress up better when goin out than @ home.

The world and our thoughts as women have gone beyond what men think of you/what you look like(oh, maybe that is to some extent). But many Muslim women would do all of these things either because they love them or want to be admired(by fellow women and family) or to keep their men(for the married)

And about the hijab covering beauty, u'd need some sort of exposure with the Muslim culture to know what I mean. Fine, u could look less beautiful with the hijab(and that doesnt make it the essence of the hijab) or you could look more beautiful with it(I have seen many girls wear scarves only because there's a way it covers some flaws and their beauty enhanced). If you haven't seen this later category, u may not understand what I mean.

are u telling me that when in your room, u make up, wear earrings and al that, wear sexy clothes and then when you are goin out you just cover up? then who are you dressing up for.? i appreciate your detailed explanation

When I am in my home, am in the most comfortable state. no hijab and i wear whatever I want. I could decide to make up.My choice. When I am married, looking good in my home becomes compulsory irrespective of how I look when I go out. I want to keep my man, and how better to do that undecided. and I guess he'd be doing stuffs to keep me too cheesy The mistake pple make is about dressing better outside than inside. It is better to dress for yourself, and because you deserve it than for other people's praise.

You would'nt understand until you see Muslim women. I have just one wrist watch but I love me ear rings even though only my close associates see them. It's all about me and am in total control of my body. That is what Islam gives me under the hijab smiley smiley smiley
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Yaya6: 1:10pm On Aug 31, 2012
Exponental: It's not by hijab or coverings, it is by inner decency.
I know of a runs babe who uses d covering 4 societal prestige but av no undies on amongst others........(make i keep quiet b4 dem say i wan cause religious war).

The funny thing is that the kind of attitude u find in the so called Ijab-sisters is crazy. U wan make I mention ba? I no go do that, but I believe u know.nMay Allah have mercy.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by deols(f): 2:05pm On Aug 31, 2012
Yaya6:

The funny thing is that the kind of attitude u find in the so called Ijab-sisters is crazy. U wan make I mention ba? I no go do that, but I believe u know.nMay Allah have mercy.

is their bad attitude a result of hijab wearing or what?

are the only people with bad attitudes the ones that wear hijab?

could hijab make someone tone down on their bad attitude?

1 Like

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by TerryCarr(m): 8:31pm On Aug 31, 2012
Iranians were it like this
[img]http://unknow8.files./2009/01/iran-beautiful-girl.jpg[/img]

it is the law to wear the headscarf in Iran but people wear it like that. apparently it is not breaking the law grin
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 9:45pm On Aug 31, 2012
#Laughing, Iranian women have been known to have interesting interpretations of the hijab.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by mukina2: 12:20pm On Sep 01, 2012
deols and tunji angry

1 Like

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by zayhal(f): 10:48pm On Sep 01, 2012
Any thread those two jam...

But seriously, I enjoy their banters.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 11:10pm On Sep 01, 2012
zayhal: Any thread those two jam...

But seriously, I enjoy their banters.

I don't #Umph
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by zayhal(f): 5:01pm On Sep 02, 2012
^^^ I don't understand you.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 6:00pm On Sep 02, 2012
zayhal: ^^^ I don't understand you.

Don't worry about it. Thread derailment might ensue.

I would like to talk to you though outside here, is that possible?
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by busar(m): 6:52pm On Sep 02, 2012
[quote author=fellis]
No love, you can pray for me to have faith enough to start.

May Allah make it(d deen) easy for you and set your affairs in order.I could see that you really love islam(frm your various coments) despite d fact that you are not practising it v.well.keep it up wit prayer n gud intention.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 02, 2012
^Thanks. That meant a lot to me.

1 Like

Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by bukatyne(f): 11:17pm On Sep 02, 2012
@ deols: thanks for ur explanation. i like ur attitude to this hijab thing. u make it sound like fun! so the aim of the hijab is to cover d muslimah's beauty so men wouldn't lust after her. so wat do handsome muslims do to cover their handsomeness because if i get you right, clothes are accessories and i believe men should also be covered. i always find d image of a handsomely dressed man wit good clothes and his fully hijabed wife funny! however, i kinda like some small sexy hijabs muslimahs put on, it's nice. once again, i like ur logical reasonin in some instances.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 6:56am On Sep 03, 2012
^The rule for men is different to women, a man may leave without blame any part of his body outside the area of his navel down to his knees.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by bukatyne(f): 11:52pm On Sep 03, 2012
maclatunji: ^The rule for men is different to women, a man may leave without blame any part of his body outside the area of his navel down to his knees.

and why is it different? women don't lust after men too?
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Nobody: 4:18am On Sep 04, 2012
maclatunji: ^The rule for men is different to women, a man may leave without blame any part of his body outside the area of his navel down to his knees.

maclatunji would it be ok for me to stare at a muscular guy's well toned arms and six pacs? Since technically I wouldn't be staring at his 'naked parts'.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 6:05am On Sep 04, 2012
fellis:
maclatunji would it be ok for me to stare at a muscular guy's well toned arms and six pacs? Since technically I wouldn't be staring at his 'naked parts'.

It wouldn't be okay to stare lustfully. Moreover, his six pac contain a guy's abs. Those are partially below the navel. Now is the time that I feel some verses of the Qur'an may be quoted and used in the proper context. I intend to do that later in the day, God-willing.

The fact that men are not as restricted in terms of dressing in public as women doesn't mean we should be showing flesh all-over-the-place. I think this is well-understood as you hardly see Muslim men as models, body-builders and the likes.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 2:35pm On Sep 04, 2012
A detailed explanation of teachings of Islam in terms of dressing for women is given in this page http://www.missionislam.com/family/hijab.htm

There is no need for me to try and re-invent the wheel. There is hardly anything I can say that hasn't been put better over there.

Next, is the dress code for men as @Fellis has subtly suggested/asked for.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 2:51pm On Sep 04, 2012
@Fellis, here is the one for men http://en.islamtoday.net/node/1117
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by Nobody: 4:21pm On Sep 04, 2012
I checked the link and they were basically repeating the same things you said.
I just wanted to understand why it is wrong to admire a man's chest and arms when they are not part of his awra.
Re: Different Types Of Covering That Muslim Women Use by maclatunji: 4:50pm On Sep 04, 2012
fellis: I checked the link and they were basically repeating the same things you said.
I just wanted to understand why it is wrong to admire a man's chest and arms when they are not part of his awra.

If you get excited/arousal over it, it is err... not a very good thing unless its your husband. You are not really meant to be admiring men all over the place.grin I am not saying it won't or doesn't happen O. If it (seeing the man's chest and arms) is as a matter of course, like you I see no sin in that.

That is the essence of prohibition of free-mixing between men and women. I could quote the verse of lowering of gazes but it doesn't quite hit the point you are making. grin So, I will leave the verse #Jejely.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

First Two Ebira People In Mecca On Pilgrimage (Photo) / Bloodbath As Muslims In Oyo Fight Over Praying Ground In Igboora, Ibarapa East / Obabiyi Aisha Ajibola Wins Muslim Beauty Pageant In Indonesia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.